Dell U2414h

Usually the so called "yellow tint" is nothing but a bit lower color temperature than the target 6500K. You can easily rectify it by switching to Custom Color preset mode and playing with RGB color channels.

Can you elaborate? I have fiddled around with custom color settings as well as the 6500k, 7500k, 9000k, etc. settings provided in the Dell software, and while using custom settings improved the situation a little bit, it did not completely remove the yellow tint on the monitor I fiddled with.

Mine just arrived this mroning while i was at work... Will Plug them in and see whats what.

Well I managed to install them but I now my computer won't boot past the gigabyte/logo screen.... Zzzz

I have never used DP before only dvi on this computer... Could that be an issue?

I was looking at purchasing 9 of these for a business yesterday, and the best they could do was $30 off per monitor - $320 each. Wasn't it $80 ($50 instant + 10%) off on Sunday? I tried pushing back on the price, and they wouldn't budge at all.

Well I managed to install them but I now my computer won't boot past the gigabyte/logo screen.... Zzzz

I have never used DP before only dvi on this computer... Could that be an issue?

Sounds like an older GPU / mobo. Which ones?

Been following this thread for a while and ordered one of these on Sunday. I live in Ontario and it's currently in production and will be shipped by next week. I'll try to report what I get.

Got this at $262 ($310 after tax and EHF) through student discounts.

Has anyone tried overclocking this monitor yet?

the monitor might a yellow ish tint. tbh you only recognise this really when your on a complete white background.

i have 3 of them in surround

always use 3 of the same cables yes it DOES matter

Does anyone know if you can daisy chain 3 monitors off one display port 2.0 output? I know this is possible per the display port spec, but I am unsure if current drivers or the monitors support it.

Last edited:
The monitor won't have much room to budge for overclocking with HDMI/DVI due to bandwidth issues, has anyone tried overclocking using DisplayPort?

Sounds like an older GPU / mobo. Which ones?

XFX 5850 Black Edition And Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

I went back to my old Monitor and and older one still and it didn't work.

Re seated the RAM and GPU, Unplugged all the drives and plugged in one at a time and still no luck.

Just tried it again after i got up out of bed and still Cycling through the Gigabyte Logo... I have a feeling the MOBO has had it... It has been running so well for the last 4 years

Can you elaborate? I have fiddled around with custom color settings as well as the 6500k, 7500k, 9000k, etc. settings provided in the Dell software, and while using custom settings improved the situation a little bit, it did not completely remove the yellow tint on the monitor I fiddled with.

First of all, make sure that you're getting a full color range. Limited color range sometimes screws up color temp as well.
When you switch to higher (then 6500K) color temp values your screen should look bluish. The higher the value the more cold and bluish it should get, eliminating all "warm" colors.
As I said before, if your whites look yellowish, this might indicate a slightly lower then desired color temperature.
To fix this go to the "Custom Color" preset mode. Leave the B channel at 100. Decrease the R and the G channels until you get rid of the excessive warmness of an image. After this you'll probably gonna need to decrease the B channel to about 99-98, and then play with the G and the B channels some more, but not necessarily. Balancing color channels might not be that easy at first but with a little bit of patience it shouldn't be very hard .
If anything of this doesn't help, then I have no idea what else might be wrong...

First of all, make sure that you're getting a full color range. Limited color range sometimes screws up color temp as well.
When you switch to higher (then 6500K) color temp values your screen should look bluish. The higher the value the more cold and bluish it should get, eliminating all "warm" colors.
As I said before, if your whites look yellowish, this might indicate a slightly lower then desired color temperature.
To fix this go to the "Custom Color" preset mode. Leave the B channel at 100. Decrease the R and the G channels until you get rid of the excessive warmness of an image. After this you'll probably gonna need to decrease the B channel to about 99-98, and then play with the G and the B channels some more, but not necessarily. Balancing color channels might not be that easy at first but with a little bit of patience it shouldn't be very hard .
If anything of this doesn't help, then I have no idea what else might be wrong...

Thanks for the pointers. First thing I did when I set up the monitor was run the nvidia tool for full color range. I have two monitors side by side and one of them doesn't have the yellow tint so I doubt that this is the problem. I just spent a bit of time playing around with Custom Colors too, and nothing I do completely removes the tint. I'm convinced it's a screen defect.

My second replacement monitor arrives sometime today so I'll be posting updates.

I am pleased to report that my second replacement monitor has arrived without the defective yellow tint. If I look really hard to observe differences between the two monitors in sRGB setting, it may be just extremely slightly tinted a tiny bit yellow, but it is so minimal that I can dismiss it. Pretty much I am only able to notice it because I am specifically looking for an error in the screen and it seems to be just a slight difference in the calibration between the two monitors. When I change the Custom Color presets for it, the slight slight yellow can be removed, whereas in the second and third monitor I received, I could not remove it from changing the Custom presets. It is also a REV A00 monitor. One note though, it is slightly dimmer than my first monitor, but I simply just adjusted the brightness up by 2 compared to the first monitor to remedy it.

Here is the calibration report for anyone who is interested: http://i.imgur.com/Ngrqppa.jpg

I will say that even though I went through two troublesome exchanges, it was worth it to me because you can't find any such monitor of this caliber with bezels this thin without debezeling. Customer service was superb, and sent both exchanges with the expectation that I would only send the defective monitor back (prepaid) once I had received the replacements, so I was never inconvenienced to not have a full setup. I also received a 30 second status update by phone call every 1-2 days on the status of the replacements. I also have a warehouse in-state so I received both replacements within 2-3 days of dealing with customer support. Overall, despite the hassle, I am pleased with my monitors.

Last edited:
hbfs
I'm glad that you finally got a monitor that matches your another monitor right out of the box.
I just remembered, though, that some units have this strange dependence related to the Contrast setting in OSD. If you still have that first (defective?) replacement monitor with you, then you might wanna check if any custom values of the Contrast (especially in the 70-75 range) make any significant difference to the image quality.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

I received my U2414H yesterday. It's a REV A00 manufactured in October 2013. It has minimal backlight bleed. Really difficult to spot when in normal use! However the color calibration factory report looks rather unusual! There are no bars on the DeltaE graph! The gray-scale tracking and Gamma graphs are also like nothing I have ever seen! Please take a look:

zbj2.jpg

Look here for the full size image -> http://imageshack.com/a/img855/4751/zbj2.jpg

What does this mean? Do I have a defective unit?

Thanks.

After 2 days of use, I have returned my U2414H because it was turning off/on randomly.

It's pity because the panel seemed to be perfect, although I'm a bit dissapointed with image quality (specially the colors), maybe because I have seen 8+2bits IPS panels before and this is 6+2, but now I'm not sure if I should buy another U2414h or a TN panel like the BenQ XL2420T.

Are you 100% sure the monitor was the issue? Did you test other ports? Or on another PC / laptop?

XFX 5850 Black Edition And Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

I went back to my old Monitor and and older one still and it didn't work.

Re seated the RAM and GPU, Unplugged all the drives and plugged in one at a time and still no luck.

Just tried it again after i got up out of bed and still Cycling through the Gigabyte Logo... I have a feeling the MOBO has had it... It has been running so well for the last 4 years

I have 2x P2414H, main on DP + secondary on DVI.
The one on DVI turns off sometimes for 2 sec. (happens once a day or so, mostly when gaming. Never happened while watching a movie).
If I switch to DP it stops.

If I switch the monitors between them, only the one on DVI does it.
Tried 2 other TN monitors (1050) on DVI and apparently they don't do this.

For me it looks like a GPU/mobo issue.

Asus P8Z68V-LE, GTX770, 700W PSU, latest drivers, no custom res.

So I have played around with mine today on my MBP

I found that one of my screens was a little warmer (maybe yellow tint?)than the other but I don't really have a setup to play around with it properly anymore.

engine
You definitely got a defective calibration report. As for the monitor itself, it''s hard to tell.

CYB34
Have you tried this:
If you have your Input Source set to Auto Select, try to use a manual Input Source selection.
With Auto Select my P2414Hb (A00, Jul 2013) was randomly turning off and on again. Selecting a specific Input Source solved the problem for me.

Last edited:
engine
You definitely got a defective calibration report. As for the monitor itself, it''s hard to tell.

Thanks.

By looking at the "Gamma graph" where you can see the brightness close to zero for almost every gray level, I would say that the monitor was turned off when the calibration was done! The same for the "Gray-Scale Tracking"! Can I get a replacement monitor from Dell based on this defective report?

Regards,
Artur

engine

CYB34
Have you tried this:

The U2414H doesn't have an "Auto Select" option available!

Are you 100% sure the monitor was the issue? Did you test other ports? Or on another PC / laptop?

I used the DP and HDMI ports (for the HDMI I had to use a DVI-HDMI adapter) in one PC. I don't think it was a PC issue because the monitor turned on randomly while the PC was off and I had to touch the power button every time to turn it on/off again.

I don't know the REV but it was made in October.

I posted in another forum, but I received my replacement, and thankfully the newer screen looks less yellow compared to my older copy, and no more backlight bleed!!

Its still REV A00. When I hooked up my XBO to it, it automatically detected it as RGB full, whereas my previous screen it only detected it as RGB limited. I found this odd but I'm happy this copy is much better.

I'll post up some screens later to show on an all black screen.

I got mine today. It looks pretty good, but I have some BLB in bottom left hand corner, top left corner, and some glow on the right hand corner. The AC511 soundbar headphone jack also has some type of sound interference issue. There is a very noticeable buzzing sound in the background when the headphones are plugged in. I also tried the 80hz custom timings over HDMI with CRU and the pixelclock patch, but it failed. I tried just with automatic timings in nvidia CP and got it to around 67hz, which is pretty disappointing. I expected to at least to get 72hz.

edit:

- got it to 74hz with some alternate timings posted by toastyx. probably mess with it more at a later time, but i also noticed my gpu won't downclock when idle now with higher hz. think it might be due to the higher pixel clock? anyone know?
- no problems with the yellow tint on mine a lot of people are experiencing.
- i'm using tft centrals icc profile, here and the colors look really nice. instructions here.
- the touch menu is responsive and fast, and the osd is superb.
- soundbar sounds good, but the headphone jack picks up interference noise. it also requires an addition usb cable to be ran to the computer, so 1 usb from soundbar to monitor, 1 usb from monitor to pc. i thought the audio would pass through the hdmi once the soundbar usb was connected to the monitor. i don't get why they wouldn't just make it analog with dc power to take advantage of the audio out port.you won't be able to use the soundbar for tv or consoles which is disappointing, unless i'm missing something.
- stand is very solid. small nudges and bumps to the desk won't wobble it.
- great on the eyes, even the blues.
- the bezel is very nice. sometimes it disappears from your view when you're focusing on something and it looks like it doesn't even have a bezel.
- silent operation, no weird noises coming from it
- rev a00

Last edited:
I'm having the same issue. The monitor is hooked on a Dell Latitude E7x40 laptop. It will turn itself off (as if someone has pressed the power off button, this is not standby mode) randomly, sometimes after 2 mins of use, sometimes after 2 hours of use. There's no pattern I can detect. Happens with both HDMI and Displayport.

Let me know if you have found a solution for this. Thanks.

I ordered a replacement for my first monitor, and it worked fine for a couple of weeks. The replacement started shutting off randomly today. Looks like I'll be ordering a replacement or asking for a refund.

(...)
- soundbar sounds good, but the headphone jack picks up interference noise. it also requires an addition usb cable to be ran to the computer, so 1 usb from soundbar to monitor, 1 usb from monitor to pc. i thought the audio would pass through the hdmi once the soundbar usb was connected to the monitor. i don't get why they wouldn't just make it analog with dc power to take advantage of the audio out port.you won't be able to use the soundbar for tv or consoles which is disappointing, unless i'm missing something.
(...)

You need to wire the headphone out plug from your U2414H to the Aux plug on your AC511 soundbar. Then you might get audio from HDMI and DisplayPort redirected to the AC511 soundbar!

Is the turning off and on by itself an issue with all of the displays, or just some of them? Does anyone have one that hasn't done it at all?

mine has not turned off randomly by itself.
no backlight bleed or any other problems except that it is recognized as hdtv, but i am starting to think that that is an osx problem because my friend who has U2312HM connected to his macbook pro told me that his is also recognized as hdtv in osx. it is not really a problem because it sends full rgb, so it is only the icon.

You need to wire the headphone out plug from your U2414H to the Aux plug on your AC511 soundbar. Then you might get audio from HDMI and DisplayPort redirected to the AC511 soundbar!

This doesn't work and I'm assuming because they're both outputs. It did however work using the aux input port to the audio out port. I thought they were both headphone ports at first, but one is aux in and the other headphone out. The only downside of doing this is the soundbar volume knob doesn't respond to changing volume on things like the TV. Thanks for the reply.

And I haven't experienced any on/off issues, everything is working as expected, but not sure if I want to try and exchange for another due to the BLB. It's only noticeable when you're looking at dark content.

Last edited:
Have you guys encountered any problems with the "No Cable" message, when your computer is turned off or in sleep/standby mode?

Hi dr0 thanks for linking my post and replying to me on the dell forum, I was ready to throw the towel in over this monitor! Can't believe it was as simple as changing the pixel setting in my graphics card.

Does anyone else get this message when their computer goes to sleep, standby or when you shut down your pc? Its quite annoying seeing this message float around the screen as the blue bar fills up.

B7BVRaL.jpg

I am connecting via the HDMI port on my AMD Radeon HD6570 Graphics card to the HDMI port on the monitor. I have tried both ports on the monitor and multiple HDMI leads. I purchased a Mini DP to HDMI lead and tried connecting it to the Mini DP socket on the monitor and the HDMI socket on my graphics card but I got a message on the screen saying "No Mini Displayport cable" Maybe the cable is meant to only work the other way round? I dont' have a Mini DP or standard DP socketon my graphics card, just a HDMI, DVI and VGA socket.

The monitor is Rev A00 and was manufactured in Oct 2013.

Other than this gripe, it truly is a fantastic monitor. The build quality is impressive. I don't have any yellow tint problems and there is no LED bleeding that I can see.

Glad I stumbled here, have read every post in this thread it has been very informative.

Thanks again dr0 you have really helped me out!

There might be a way to turn that off via the factory OSD if you can figure out how to get to it. Check LCD conditioning isnt enabled in the main OSD too although I don't think that affects that warning

There might be a way to turn that off via the factory OSD if you can figure out how to get to it. Check LCD conditioning isnt enabled in the main OSD too although I don't think that affects that warning

Hi, LCD conditioning is already set to off

Back