Dell U2414h

How long did it take you guys to receive the monitor from Dell?

I ordered last Sunday and it was due to arrive today, yet it's still "In Production"

(from ON, Canada)

How long did it take you guys to receive the monitor from Dell?

I ordered last Sunday and it was due to arrive today, yet it's still "In Production"

(from ON, Canada)

Have you received it yet? I'm having the same problem. I ordered mine last Thursday and it is still in production. At the time I ordered it showed a build time of 1 day on the product page, and it still does today.

@Lava Lamp Freak

I still haven't received it either :/. I tried calling Dell 3 times yesterday and I was transferred three times and then cut off after a 15 minute hold, or end up connecting to someone typing away on their keyboard and not talking.

I ended up emailing them and just received a mail back that it will take 1-2 days for them to contact the manufacturing facility on the status...

I'm now praying that my panel will not be defective at all. It might seem like a nightmare to RMA with Dell

So i have finally built my brand new computer with 2x ATI R9 2090X in crossfire.

I have noticed whilst doing the white test @ http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php One screen has a redish(warmer?) look to it. I have reset it to 75Bri ,75Con and standard picture.
RE Backlight: didn't notice anything when i was playing around with it last night

U21414H_zpsf121d45f.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a new graphics card with displayport connection and the monitor goes straight to sleep now! - No cable not detected warning message floating around for 5 minutes

I bought a new graphics card with displayport connection and the monitor goes straight to sleep now! - No cable not detected warning message floating around for 5 minutes

have you set it to the correct output/ plugged it into the input and not the DP Out? Have you enabled Display Port 1.2?

@Lava Lamp Freak

I still haven't received it either :/. I tried calling Dell 3 times yesterday and I was transferred three times and then cut off after a 15 minute hold, or end up connecting to someone typing away on their keyboard and not talking.

I ended up emailing them and just received a mail back that it will take 1-2 days for them to contact the manufacturing facility on the status...

I'm now praying that my panel will not be defective at all. It might seem like a nightmare to RMA with Dell

I finally got a shipping notification today. I should have it on Tuesday.

I got a new monitor, a Rev 00 october 2013, and no turning off/on randomly with this one yet.

I'm using the color presets from tftcentral because sRGB looks a bit redish and it has the same bleeding as my old one (a blue spot in the left corner and a red in the right) but it's ok for an ips.

Overall I'm very satisfied.

Been using my U2414H for a few days now. Rev A00 Oct 2013. Have not enctountered any of the reported bugs so far like random turn on/off or the displayport cable not detected problem. Connected to a AMD 6850 displayport.

Very satisfied with the display so far. Colors are great. AG coating light. There's some slight backlight bleed along the bottom edge, one spot in the center and one 3/4s to the right. But you can only see it when the screen is black and ambient light in the room is low enough. So fortunately I think this one's a keeper :)

So.. any one tried out daisy chaining these monitors? :)

Mine are daisy chained....just make sure to turn on the DP 1.2 setting In the osd on both screens otherwise only one will work. Also having a GPU that supports DP 1.2 helps obviously :)

have you set it to the correct output/ plugged it into the input and not the DP Out? Have you enabled Display Port 1.2?

Sorry for any confusion. Using displayport connection the monitor goes straight to sleep now and doesn't show the "no cable detected message" that would float about the screen for 5 minutes that I got when connecting via HDMI.

I bought a HDMI female to DP male adaptor from ebay that cost £2.50 delivered from Singapore and that works perfectly too - and no annoying "cable not detected" message!

Maybe they'll fix the HDMI message in a firmware update?

Mine are daisy chained....just make sure to turn on the DP 1.2 setting In the osd on both screens otherwise only one will work. Also having a GPU that supports DP 1.2 helps obviously :)

So the output that connects to the first monitor has to be DP 1.2?

I've got a gtx680, which has a DP 1.2, and late 2013 rMBP which should also support it.. But I'm looking at getting a DP KVM switch to use with these machines and 2 of these monitors.. I have absolutely no idea if the KVM switch has DP 1.2.. altough I highly suspect it doesn't. :/

So the output that connects to the first monitor has to be DP 1.2?

I've got a gtx680, which has a DP 1.2, and late 2013 rMBP which should also support it.. But I'm looking at getting a DP KVM switch to use with these machines and 2 of these monitors.. I have absolutely no idea if the KVM switch has DP 1.2.. altough I highly suspect it doesn't. :/

From what I understand yes... My 2009 MBP didn't daisy chain but my new setup with cross fired 290X does.

I would assume that the source on your second machine and the KVM would both need DP 1.2... If the two machines are the ones you mentioned already then all you need worry about is finding the right KVM

My monitor arrived today and it's a rev 00 November 2013

Been using it for 4 hours and havent had random shutdowns or noticeable backlight bleed yet... but I've been having issues getting it to work with the display port cable they gave. I've never used display port before, so when i plugged it into my Asus 7850, it didn't detect it at all. I just gave up and used an HDMI cable.

Coming from someone with no experience with IPS panels and previously used a nasty green-tinted TN panel, I gotta say this looks absolutely amazing. The build quality is superb. I just hope I don't stumble on something undesirable right now.

My monitor arrived today and it's a rev 00 November 2013

Been using it for 4 hours and havent had random shutdowns or noticeable backlight bleed yet... but I've been having issues getting it to work with the display port cable they gave. I've never used display port before, so when i plugged it into my Asus 7850, it didn't detect it at all. I just gave up and used an HDMI cable.

Coming from someone with no experience with IPS panels and previously used a nasty green-tinted TN panel, I gotta say this looks absolutely amazing. The build quality is superb. I just hope I don't stumble on something undesirable right now.

Did you change the input on the OSD settings? Also were you using the mini DP in on the monitor?

Yes but did you select mini display port input on the screen itself.

I assume you had to change it for your HDMI connection to work?

I have both mine daisy chained to my gaming rig and I have my sever hooked up to the HDMI in on my secondary monitor via a dvi to HDMI cable. Each time I want to use the server I switch inputs via the display.

Yeah, I did select the input and tried the others on the monitor.

and I actually meant mini display in graphic and displayport in monitor.

Went to ATI's CCC and it didnt detect anything. Made sure plugs were fully in and everything. On the newest drivers, tried using the other mini dp plug on the graphic card. Not working :/

ordered one of these on the 9th, just got an email saying my delivery date has been delayed until the 20th, bummer!

Good day to you, owners of the U2414

I am looking for a new GAMING screen. I will be playing MMO's and RPG's on this screen. For a 60hz screen, is this one decent in the blur department? As in, not much worse as a regular TN panel?

I've owned a Dell U2312HM and the blurring was kinda distracting on that one so I was hoping this one is better.

Or is this screen not really meant for gaming?

Thanks in advance!

I have had no issues with playing games like wow, skyrim, solder scrolls online and diablo.

Two issues I am having with the screens at the moment though is the brightness is pain to get right. Also one of my screens definitely has a red tinge to it... The shut down on windows 8 highlights it as both panes should be blue but looks almost purple.... Is this so etching I can fix or is it a dell issue?

Ok, I have 2 of these, and I must be a lucky one as the brightness is about right on both (certainly not enough to drive me nuts)

However I did have 1 of them really mis behave, it did the whole power saving deal, and refusing to display anything, selft test ran ok, swapped to different GFX card (I'm running 2), swapped DP cables, still no dice..

Was getting ready to put it back in the BOX and RMA it, when I decided to pull the power out.. all fixed, so hopefully this post will save someone else the 45 minutes of troubleshooting if they get a "Lazy Monitor"

on a side note, I now have the drivers for it and have finally updated the catalyst drivers from 12.3 to 13.whatever.

Good day to you, owners of the U2414

I am looking for a new GAMING screen. I will be playing MMO's and RPG's on this screen. For a 60hz screen, is this one decent in the blur department? As in, not much worse as a regular TN panel?

I've owned a Dell U2312HM and the blurring was kinda distracting on that one so I was hoping this one is better.

Or is this screen not really meant for gaming?

Thanks in advance!

More than adequate for gaming. I don't notice any difference from my 5ms TN panel when it comes to motion blur and ghosting.

Also can't get the dell software to pick up the monitors in windows 8.1

Works for me. Make sure you load the display driver and update the display manager to the latest version.

SO I turned on the computer this morning and no problems.. both screens came p and got it started on my bitcoin mining for the day.

Came home and the screens would not respond. I Tried reseating the DP connection, no go... Tried a HDMI cable..No go.....Tried a different monitor on DVI and it worked.... any idea on whats going on? Nothing had changed... It was set to show the mini DP output.

The second monitor works with its DVI-HDMI cable for the other computer but i couldn't get the mini DP to output from the main computer when I swapped the Connections.

Each time I tried a different connection I did change the output setting on the screen.

Could the DP and hdmi (never used) ports be fried on the GPU even though the DVI worked to a different screen... or could it be the screen itself?

AFAIK, Dell Display Manager only works with DP 1.1 (option in OSD). But DP 1.2 is required in order to daisy chain these monitors.
It's all about trade-offs these days.

OK so it's a good gaming screen but why do I read about so many issues in this thread?

AFAIK, Dell Display Manager only works with DP 1.1 (option in OSD). But DP 1.2 is required in order to daisy chain these monitors.
It's all about trade-offs these days.

I'm using display manager over HDMI on 8.1 and it works fine.

Am I misinformed? Is the display panel itself not seated behind a glass panel? I haven't seen the monitor in real life, but that is what I gathered from the images I've seen.

Correct, there is no glass. The coating is very nice, it's rather light, but not light enough to see reflections. According to the tech specs, Antiglare with hard-coating 3H.

Last edited:
WzUPDPO.jpg

Good god. No blacklight bleeding, but I had no idea IPS glow was this bad. (Exaggerated a fair bit by the camera, but still presents the problem.)

@Christian88

I have the exact same looking problem. I can't tell if the bottom left is backlight bleed or just ips glow. I was considering RMA but it seems like it affects the whole line :/

@Christian88

I have the exact same looking problem. I can't tell if the bottom left is backlight bleed or just ips glow. I was considering RMA but it seems like it affects the whole line :/

I am returning mine. I don't have the patience or opportunity to be without a monitor for so long. Really disappointed by this. :(

I am returning mine. I don't have the patience or opportunity to be without a monitor for so long. Really disappointed by this. :(

It looks to me that you have a perfect display. No backlight bleeding is great. Mine has slight bleeding all the way around the display. The IPS glow is no different than every other IPS display I've ever owned.

What was your previous display?

Back