Dell U2412M

I just picked up a 2nd 2412m and am having severe issues getting them both to match even after calibration with a brand new Xrite i1 Display Pro 3. Here's an image of the different tints:

img20130505202832.jpg

I have no idea which monitor is correct, but am thinking of returning the new one to try again. But the first monitor has 2400 hours on it; I'm worried I may have issued matching it regardless. I'm thinking:

1. May be a LUT issue - can one video card (gtx680) output two LUT's to each monitor? Or will one monitor always be "off" which is the cause of the tint difference?
2. One of the monitors has severely messed up color primaries?

Should I return this and try again for a better match or am I being too picky?

Have you tried switching the cables on the card ports and see if the colors remain on the same side?

i.e. you have Monitor 1 connected to gtx680 DVI-1 and Monitor 2 connected to DVI-2.

So connect Monitor 1 to gtx680 DVI-2 and Monitor 2 to DVI-1.

If the color tint remain on the same side then its a issue with color profiles. If the color tint switch from left to right then its an issue with one of the monitors.

Yeah I tried swapping cables, this 2nd monitor is definitely going back. Check out the terrible uniformity:

monitor2.png

My old Gateway FPD2485W finally died after 6.5 years so I just picked one of these up after P/M and coupon at my local tiger direct for $269.XX out the door. I am having a hard time focusing while reading the white on black text on [H].. No dead pixels, and corner bleed is minimal, maybe I should try tweaking to see if it helps.

Wondering if I should have gotten a Korean 27" .. but I hate to wait.

I bought this monitor, it's pretty cool.

Before this one, I had NEC LCD2470WVX for 5 years. I still have it. However, I am not sure I will be able to use both next to each other... No matter what I do, I cannot match them, in terms of picture quality.

Does anyone use 2 different panels next to each other? Is that actually harmful to eyes?

I am thinking to get another Dell and just try to sell the old NEC.

Hello there. Quick question about the 2412M and it's lack of 1:1 mapping. Is there an issue or disadvantage when watching YouTube videos recorded or posted at 16:9? My office monitor is a Dell U2410 (with 1:1 mapping) and when I watch YouTube videos I haven't seen any problems. Will the 2412M without the 1:1 mapping display all YouTube videos EXACTLY the same as the U2410 would?

Thank you a lot!!!!

Hello there. Quick question about the 2412M and it's lack of 1:1 mapping. Is there an issue or disadvantage when watching YouTube videos recorded or posted at 16:9? My office monitor is a Dell U2410 (with 1:1 mapping) and when I watch YouTube videos I haven't seen any problems. Will the 2412M without the 1:1 mapping display all YouTube videos EXACTLY the same as the U2410 would?

Thank you a lot!!!!

It simply adds the black bars at the top of bottom, that's all. I haven't seen any issues with watching YouTube or other videos on my U2412Ms.

It simply adds the black bars at the top of bottom, that's all. I haven't seen any issues with watching YouTube or other videos on my U2412Ms.

Thank you for your answers. On my U2410 (which has 1:1 mapping) when I watch 16:9 youtube videos I actually see black bard at the top and the bottom just like you describe your viewing experience with your U2412M, so 1:1 mapping or not, when watching 16:9 youtube videos there won't be any difference between a 1:1 mapping monitor (like the U2410) and a no 1:1 mapping monitor like the U2412M?

Thank you for your answers. On my U2410 (which has 1:1 mapping) when I watch 16:9 youtube videos I actually see black bard at the top and the bottom just like you describe your viewing experience with your U2412M, so 1:1 mapping or not, when watching 16:9 youtube videos there won't be any difference between a 1:1 mapping monitor (like the U2410) and a no 1:1 mapping monitor like the U2412M?

I'd say that your experiences would be identical for both monitors.

I bought two U2312HM from amazon and both came with a terrible yellow tint

Do I have a good shot getting a good monitor if I buy the U2412M ? I hate the idea of giving dell more money when Ive had bad experiences in the past but this seems like it "should" be a good monitor/buy

I bought two U2312HM from amazon and both came with a terrible yellow tint

Do I have a good shot getting a good monitor if I buy the U2412M ? I hate the idea of giving dell more money when Ive had bad experiences in the past but this seems like it "should" be a good monitor/buy

I bought a U2412M in late 2012 directly from Dell and it was a Rev A03 and perfect in every way.

However I love the monitor so much that I decided recently to buy a second one. I ordered one from Amazon this time and it was a Rev A00 and has a HORRIBLE yellow tint to it. The blacks were also worse as well as the IPS glow effect. I immediately returned it and got a refund.

I contacted Dell and they told me the Rev A00 was recalled and revised and they couldn't tell me why Amazon was selling them. Also they told me I would get the latest version of the U2412M if I ordered directly from Dell. But who knows.

Has anyone out there recently purchased a U2412M from Dell or somewhere else that didn't have the yellow tint issue? If so from where?

Also the bezel in the DELL logo area is not near the screen!! It has a gap of 2 or 3 mm and I can see the panel metal frame!!! Is this normal?????

Really disappointed about DELL quality control.

i know its old post but i just noticed i have the same exact thing! i can see the white thing under the screen. so is it normal should i be concerned? its not as near the screen as it should be.

I bought a U2412M in late 2012 directly from Dell and it was a Rev A03 and perfect in every way.

However I love the monitor so much that I decided recently to buy a second one. I ordered one from Amazon this time and it was a Rev A00 and has a HORRIBLE yellow tint to it. The blacks were also worse as well as the IPS glow effect. I immediately returned it and got a refund.

I contacted Dell and they told me the Rev A00 was recalled and revised and they couldn't tell me why Amazon was selling them. Also they told me I would get the latest version of the U2412M if I ordered directly from Dell. But who knows.

Has anyone out there recently purchased a U2412M from Dell or somewhere else that didn't have the yellow tint issue? If so from where?

I'd say Dell is lying...

I own 3 U2412M's, from 3 different places.

1st - Bought from Amazon Late 2012, Rev A03 This one is very blue.
2nd - Bought from Newegg Dec 2013, Rev A00 Yellow Tint compared to A03
3rd - Bought from Dell Jan 2014, Rev A00 Yellow Tint compared to A03

Hey all. New guy here.

Just got my U2412M (U2412MB on rear monitor label) from Amazon. I ordered Feb 14 and it was delivered the 18th. Revision A00 and Manufacture date November 2013.

The only complaint I have so far is the slight yellow color cast that turns to a more blue color the further out from the center you go. Everything else is fantastic. No stuck or dead pixels to speak of. The color cast doesn't bother me that much, enough to change it out for another unit. There is some inconsistency across the whole panel, but for a panel of its size and price, I'm not too upset. I'm easy to please.

I was able to get the monitor to look better with some color profiling (on-screen guide w/OS X) and color settings in the HUD. I haven't ordered my colormunki yet, so I can't get a legitimate profile made.

As a photographer, I have yet to notice it while editing.

After using the monitor for a while. I noticed some of the same issues as reported in the HP Z24i thread, such as glowing and bad backlight bleeding.

I got it exchanged through Dell, but the sent me another U2412Mb A00. This one has minimal backlight glow, but it still has the same poor viewing angle. For example, when you shift your view slightly, there is strong PLS glow, causing the contrast to change significantly. Furthermore, there is a stuck pixel as well.

I found out by looking at the eBay auctions of new U2412Mb's, Dell has released a new version U2412Mb A01. Hopefully, these use the newer Samsung PLS panels that have great viewing angles with little glow issues.

Has anyone had image burning problems with this monitor?
Mine is 2.5 years old and I'm just now seeing burn-in along my taskbar and firefox UI. Wondering if I should contact Dell to replace it, assuming they will take the RMA or if it's even worth it.

Has anyone had image burning problems with this monitor?
Mine is 2.5 years old and I'm just now seeing burn-in along my taskbar and firefox UI. Wondering if I should contact Dell to replace it, assuming they will take the RMA or if it's even worth it.

I haven't had mine nearly as long (about 1.25 years) but I haven't noticed any - just switched to portrait and still looks uniform

but I would call to see what they would do if you RMA'd. The model has been discountinued for a LONG time

The burn-in seems to be going away slowly over the past couple days.
Which is weird because I didn't change anything. I didn't do anything stupid like leaving my monitor on overnight, either. I've used it the same way for 2+ years and I'm not sure why it would burn-in now and then start clearing up a few days later.

I just got a second one. Original is revision A00 and new one is A01.. Can definately tell the difference between the default colors.. New one is definately 'whiter', but maybe it needs to burn in.

Looking for any utilities to update the firmware to bring them both to the same version to rule that out, but so far no luck...

The burn-in seems to be going away slowly over the past couple days.
Which is weird because I didn't change anything. I didn't do anything stupid like leaving my monitor on overnight, either. I've used it the same way for 2+ years and I'm not sure why it would burn-in now and then start clearing up a few days later.

after reading ur post i check mine, and yea i saw faint burn-in my task bar
it only visible with gray or dark-color background
and seems burn-in with bright/white color icon (such as windows7 network,sound,flag icon foobar, skype) , others like firefox not really visible

I just got a second one. Original is revision A00 and new one is A01.. Can definately tell the difference between the default colors.. New one is definately 'whiter', but maybe it needs to burn in.

Looking for any utilities to update the firmware to bring them both to the same version to rule that out, but so far no luck...

i bought in back in 2012 i think, got A02... afaik there already rev. A03
but i also heard someone bought in 2013 got A00
so it possible, dell just make new revA00
what most people say is that A00 have yellowish tint. but not for the rest rev A01/02/03

I managed to clear up my burn-in a little by using a black wallpaper. White, and flashing colors, made it worse. Now the entire bottom edge, bottom-right corner, and pretty much all of the right-edge will get burn-in after a few hours.

When I first turn on the monitor, it looks perfect. But during the first 30 minutes of usage, the burned-in image slowly appears.
Parts of my old wallpaper seem to be permanently burned-in on the right side, even after trying to clear it up the last few months. My monitor just turned 3, so it's not even that old. Disappointing.

It does seem to be getting better but it seems like it's going to take at least another 6 months to clear up the old image, if it even goes away at all.

I have 3 U2212's that are about 6 months older than this monitor and they all are running fine. It feels like the more I spend on a monitor, the more problems it has...

Last edited:
I managed to clear up my burn-in a little by using a black wallpaper. White, and flashing colors, made it worse. Now the entire bottom edge, bottom-right corner, and pretty much all of the right-edge will get burn-in after a few hours.

When I first turn on the monitor, it looks perfect. But during the first 30 minutes of usage, the burned-in image slowly appears.
Parts of my old wallpaper seem to be permanently burned-in on the right side, even after trying to clear it up the last few months. My monitor just turned 3, so it's not even that old. Disappointing.

It does seem to be getting better but it seems like it's going to take at least another 6 months to clear up the old image, if it even goes away at all.

I have 3 U2212's that are about 6 months older than this monitor and they all are running fine. It feels like the more I spend on a monitor, the more problems it has...

not try RMA yours?
especially if the burn in clearly visible and u near to DELL store/service center

for me, i might take my monitor to DELL if there dell store nearby
but need a hour-ish to go there
plus as it over 1year, i think i will get refurbish one as replacement rather than new one
i kinda dont want gambling with refurb product
also it only faintly visible on dark color so not really bothering me .. yet

for background, i think you can find wallpaper rotator, like displayfusion or ultramon, and set to change background every 30mins or so

Hi Guys,

There was a tiny bug (black colour) that somehow got into my LCD screen, and in the moment I tried to push on it and now it is stuck and dead in the middle. It's really tiny , like a dead pixel tiny. Now I can't get rid of it :( On a white background you can see it clearly. I tried a suction cap but doesn't work. Any ideas how I can get it out?

The screen is 4 years old.

Thanks,
K.

Looking around for solutions other than the suction cup method
gnat.gif

doesn't seem very hopeful, especially if you squished it and the squish
remains. One post about a TV with a similar issue said the dead bug
shrank as the corpse dried up and fell down to the bottom on its own.

After 20,000 hours of usage on this monitor and I guess it's time to replace it. I spent the last 6 months trying to clean up the burn-in I complained about last year... Got most of it fixed, but along the right-side is really annoying especially when playing games.

Are there any viable replacements for this monitor on the market? The only one I can find is the U2415 and it seems really pricey for a basic 1920x1200 60 Hz screen (over $300). I see the U2414H on-sale around $200... Or maybe I should just buy another U2412M around $250?

Is it just me or are these monitors really badly calibrated?

I was having an issue with my centre screen (of 3), it would sometimes not detect on displayport. I recently purchased two more for my office PC so I decided to swap the centre screen with one of the newer monitors. After setting it up I noticed that the replacement is way less blue than the older two left and right monitors and required major correction to get back to white and grey. I tried the other new one and it had the same problem, vastly different colour profiles from the older three I have.

[..]

Are there any viable replacements for this monitor on the market? The only one I can find is the U2415 and it seems really pricey for a basic 1920x1200 60 Hz screen (over $300). I see the U2414H on-sale around $200... Or maybe I should just buy another U2412M around $250?

After using the U2412M (two of them) for a few years and then being stuck on a laptop for a while, I decided to go for the U2515H (triple display) for my new PC build. It's only slightly larger than the U2412M, gets you 1440p resolution, a USB 3 hub and lots of DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, as well as a true 8-bit display and newer IPS panel type.

One thing that may be troublesome for some is that it doesn't support VGA or DVI inputs (fixable via adapters), and it's of course a tad more expensive than the U2412M (about 300 Euro here, versus 250 for the U2412M).

I just got a REV A02 May 2015 model and the AG coating has been drastically reduced. It appears to be the same as the newer Dell models.
Perfect looking panel by the way. I've used 12 Dell IPS monitors over the last few weeks and the U2412M still reigns supreme. 10 out of 10.

edit: I just checked, my old U2412M is also A02. Manufactured Sept 2011.
So Dell has made changes to this monitor without updating the revision.

Last edited:
Another update, the new model uses a non-PWM backlight, according to the UFO Test I ran, compared to TFTCentral's chart. I tested at 10, 50, and 100 brightness.
Just checked: My old U2412M is PWM. And of course, BOTH monitors are REV A02. Dell has switched from PWM to flicker-free on this monitor at some point in the last 4 years.

Props to Dell for the new updates! They should really have made a new revision or released this info to the public.

MWgJFEN.png

Last edited:
I just got a REV A02 May 2015 model and the AG coating has been drastically reduced. It appears to be the same as the newer Dell models.
Perfect looking panel by the way. I've used 12 Dell IPS monitors over the last few weeks and the U2412M still reigns supreme. 10 out of 10.

edit: I just checked, my old U2412M is also A02. Manufactured Sept 2011.
So Dell has made changes to this monitor without updating the revision.

how about color temp on ur new U2412M ?
i read many people saying they got "yellow-tint" compared to old one
do ur new u2412m got same color temp like ur old one ?

just want to know, because it seems trending that current dell ips display tends to have yellow-tint (warm)

while the yellow-tint maybe its more correct color rather than cool color temp, but people used to cool color temp, will see those white screen = yellowish
and if we mix the monitor, the color will unbalanced

i still looking what causing the yellow-tint, i read that caused by glue? on manufacturing process, and it should went away after using it for a while (cured)
but rather cured, i more think its just our eyes get used to the yellow-tint

My current color setup is 97,91,100. So yes there is a slight yellow and mildly green tint. It took me about 5 minutes to fix, though. My old one was fine, too.

Colors look as accurate as any of the other Dell IPS monitors I used over the last few weeks. Compared to the other monitors, this one took the least amount of calibration. Anything above 90 is really good.

Can someone with an U2412M REV A02 February 2015 post an image of the factory menu? I accidentally changed the offset values in the factory menu and don't know how to change it back.

I know this is a super bump, but Dell is actually still manufacturing these.
According to Amazon they were EOL last year, but they've started getting new stock so I took a plunge.

Manufacture date on the one I got is APRIL 2017 REV A04. Three things I noticed they've fixed, compared to the last model I had:

1. The overshoot ghosting effect is gone entirely.
2. Clouding effects which plagued their last rev are gone. I'm seeing a near-perfect uniform panel this time. Still not quite as good as my 2011 model.
3. The weird grid-like AG coating they were using before (not the sandpaper stuff) is replaced by a much smoother one.

Also, not a new thing, but I should also mention there is 0 backlight bleed. This is my 4th U2412M and none of them have ever bled.

All in all I am, yet again, blown away by the U2412M. Seems like Dell just keeps improving this monitor every few years. It is, at this point, as close to perfect as possible. For a $200 panel I still say it's THE BEST option and I have tested over 30 of Dell's U-Series/P-Series monitors since 2015.

I recommended one to a buddy: he loves it and has used it for years. These are great monitors. (I'm a 1920x1200 convert...)

Back