Dell U2412M

I so want three if these or either three 27'' or 30''. My wife would probably kill me if I purchased three 27''/30'' hahahaha

Just return it to best buy, they have no restocking fee and you have 14 days to do it. Or exchange it there, but I don't recommend exchanging it because it seems like most u2412's sold today have issues with IPS glow in the corners.

I brought it from best buy through their online service, so will probably have to do some type of an online return.

I m really thinking about keep this monitor, especially if the bleed improves, because of its size and vibrancy. It looks great just the sudden bleed is really worrisome. Besides, for what I paid for it, there is nothing better on the market for a 24inch ips panel. Sigh, this is what i get for trying to keep my budget for a monitor low. I may just return and solider on with my older monitors until a turn winner appears.

I brought it from best buy through their online service, so will probably have to do some type of an online return.

I m really thinking about keep this monitor, especially if the bleed improves, because of its size and vibrancy. It looks great just the sudden bleed is really worrisome. Besides, for what I paid for it, there is nothing better on the market for a 24inch ips panel. Sigh, this is what i get for trying to keep my budget for a monitor low. I may just return and solider on with my older monitors until a turn winner appears.

If you bought it from best buy online, you can return it in any best buy store. I did the exact thing with my u2412m. However, if you bought it on best buy marketplace, you have to contact the seller of the monitor.

Personally, I'd wait for better less problematic models to come out. There are no good IPS monitors for under 400$ that don't have a significant change of having horrid IPS glow or backlight bleeding. Quality control really sucks with monitors these days it seems.

Personally, I'd wait for better less problematic models to come out. There are no good IPS monitors for under 400$ that don't have a significant change of having horrid IPS glow or backlight bleeding. Quality control really sucks with monitors these days it seems.

It is not a "chance" of IPS glow, it is an absolute certainty of IPS glow.

IPS glow is not a random defect, it is a characteristic of IPS panels.

If you don't want IPS glow, don't buy an IPS panel.

There is a reason it is called "IPS Glow".

Correct, I should have just said there is a high chance of very noticeable IPS glow. There are some u2412m's on this thread that have relatively low levels of glow overall, but they're exceedingly rare it seems.

IPS glow doesn't bother me. It is actually better on this monitor then it was on the LG IPS i owned. Back light bleed drive me nuts though...

I'll check it on it when I get home tomorrow, try tapping it....

Idk if I can return it to best buy no probs. Exchange sure, but I made a few returns in the last month and I know they are keeping track.

Correct, I should have just said there is a high chance of very noticeable IPS glow. There are some u2412m's on this thread that have relatively low levels of glow overall, but they're exceedingly rare it seems.

How could you possibly compare other peoples monitors for level of glow? Pictures? I can make the same monitor look unusable from corner glow and likewise make it look like it has no glow.

The glow is about the same on all of them. The bleed is random part.

How could you possibly compare other peoples monitors for level of glow? Pictures? I can make the same monitor look unusable from corner glow and likewise make it look like it has no glow.

The glow is about the same on all of them. The bleed is random part.

Regardless, the amount of glow in certain corners varies as seen by pictures taken looking forward at the monitor. A lot of people have their bottom right corner glow a lot more than the other corners while other people have other corners glowing more. Corner glow is relatively random in its distribution, there is no arguing that. Magnitude of glow of course is going to vary according to your camera settings and distance from screen.

Last edited:
Just saw that BB has these for $300. Is this their normal price or will it only be at that for a few days? I'm waiting for a refund on my korean DOA to buy this but I dont want to miss out on the monitor at this price.

Also anyone have experience with 2007wfp and this monitor? Reason I ask is the korean IPSs i've seen seem to be sorta washed out and not as good of colors as my non led 2007wfp. Was wondering if the 2412 has equal or superior colors/image/contrast as the 2007wfp.

Just saw that BB has these for $300. Is this their normal price or will it only be at that for a few days? I'm waiting for a refund on my korean DOA to buy this but I dont want to miss out on the monitor at this price.

I'm guessing that's not a normal price for BB, but I don't monitor their site so I'm not certain. I do know that you will definitely pay tax on that monitor through BB. Amazon has this monitor for $286.99 via a marketplace seller named Battery Juice, with ~$20 shipping, but with no tax. This is a pretty normal price and it can actually go lower (I bought one less then two weeks ago for $273.95). I can't promise it'll go lower, but even at the current price plus shipping it should be a little less then going through Best Buy and paying sales tax. If you have to pay tax on the Amazon deal then the BB deal would be better. Just giving you options... ;)

I'm debating if I should purchase from BB or Amazon. I'm paying sales tax either way but I just want a good return/exchange policy just incase the monitor has a problem.

I'm debating if I should purchase from BB or Amazon. I'm paying sales tax either way but I just want a good return/exchange policy just incase the monitor has a problem.

Best buy is probably your best options. You get free shipping and you can return to the store within 14 days if you're unsatisfied for ANY reason.

I just got mine a few days ago from walmart.com Mine is revision A03 and has a manufacture date of May 2012. I was actually a bit worried as it seemed like really old stock? I have no dead or stuck pixels. I also have no flickering. Seems like I lucked out and got a great unit. I came from a HP 2311x that went out on me. This Dell blows it out of the water! Any ways. I know calibration will vary. Atm. I just want to get brightness to 120cd/M2. I have been reading through this thread. I must admit. Not through all the pages. I noticed a fellow member mention they found their brightness set to 28 to reach that number. Same revision and manufacture date as me btw. Then another member chimed in and said they had to raise it I believe to 50. Same revision and manufacture date as well. So, I am not sure what to dial it in at. Has anyone done a full calibration of a A03 revision and manufacture date of May 2012?

I have decided to keep it. The bleed does not bother me in normal use and I just played some amensia and I was not bothered in the slightest with glow or black light bleed. The contrast is actually pretty good on this thing and games look great.

My U2413M rev A05 @ dark room with bightness at 60%:

img7617tn.jpg

Canon EOS 500D
==========================================
Focal length: 35mm
F-Number: F/4,5
Exposure Time: 1/10 sec.
ISO Speed: ISO-400
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
Exposure Program: Manual
Exposure Compensation: 0 step

I just notice a little bleeding on the 2/3 of the left side and even less, almost nothing, in the top right corner.

What do you think?

And will it improve with the use on the next days as someone said back here??

Ugh, just took this pic to see how bad the bleed is... Looks like I going to be taking this to my local bb this weekend..

Amazing screen with proper lighting though. Contrast ratio is great for an ips.

0114132240.jpg

0113132055a.jpg

Just joined the club thanks to todays [H]otDeal for less than $200 yes it is a refurb but still

Would you guys recommend this monitor for programming?

Also, the aggressive antiglare coating has me worried. From how people describe it, it almost certainly sounds like a dealbreaker. That said, so many seem to like this monitor that I'm wondering if it's exaggerated. Are there any pictures that accurately depict this?

Also, the aggressive antiglare coating has me worried. From how people describe it, it almost certainly sounds like a dealbreaker. That said, so many seem to like this monitor that I'm wondering if it's exaggerated. Are there any pictures that accurately depict this?

I use it for programming. I hated the AG coating on the U2711, it was most definitely a dealbreaker, but the U2412M is much better for text thanks to it's bigger dot pitch. I use light text on dark background for my code tho, not sure if that's your thing. I really love it, and bought a second one for my home office.

Just joined the club thanks to todays [H]otDeal for less than $200 yes it is a refurb but still
I snatched up one of those too, to complete my Eyefinity setup. I was debating holding out for a Dell 30" U3011 for the center screen, but after seeing this deal for $200 delivered it was too good to pass up and it would give me 3 matching screens.

So far I've been very happy with these monitors, though my older Soyo Topaz (P-MVA) monitors seemed easier to calibrate because there was a greater difference between the high and low ends of each adjustable parameter. For example, with the U2412M when I turn the brightness all the way up it's far dimmer than my Topaz at the brightest setting, and with the brightness all the down it's far brighter. Same thing goes for the contrast and the different color settings. So I find it harder to get these perfectly calibrated using my eye, so I may have to invest in a calibration tool for a few hundred bucks. I figure it'll be money well spent because I can calibrate all my monitors as well as every TV in my house.

I use one for programming also, and think it works great. I've had it for a few months now, and I don't regret getting it. I use Eclipse, with the default of black text on a white background. Typical office environment with fluorescent lightning.

I use it for programming. I hated the AG coating on the U2711, it was most definitely a dealbreaker, but the U2412M is much better for text thanks to it's bigger dot pitch. I use light text on dark background for my code tho, not sure if that's your thing. I really love it, and bought a second one for my home office.

I use one for programming also, and think it works great. I've had it for a few months now, and I don't regret getting it. I use Eclipse, with the default of black text on a white background. Typical office environment with fluorescent lightning.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I went ahead and ordered one from Best Buy so I can conveniently return it if necessary.

I need to share my experience with this monitor.
I bought it 1 week ago, after 2 h using it, i had lot of pain in eyes. Decided to give it to my wife (i m bad person :)).
My wife after 3 days of use, had big bleeding in left eye... i m starting to become paranoid...

Or was just coincidence??

Can monitors provoque eye hemorrhage?

freituk,

It could just be a coincidence, but it may be due PWM backlight control. I had this monitor for a couple weeks and starting having strange eye pain, itchiness, and headaches. These went away shortly after boxing up the monitor and returning to my old, PWM-free LCD. I would suggest you and your wife not use the monitor for a while and see how you feel.

If you have brightness on high. That alone is enough to create eye strain and fatigue. If you got stuck with the really bad flickering. That is even worse and unbearable.

I need to share my experience with this monitor.
I bought it 1 week ago, after 2 h using it, i had lot of pain in eyes. Decided to give it to my wife (i m bad person :)).
My wife after 3 days of use, had big bleeding in left eye... i m starting to become paranoid...

Or was just coincidence??

Can monitors provoque eye hemorrhage?

Until I turned the brightness down on this A03 version, I had some odd eye strain. As I have it set now, the screen looks fine and my eyes don't bother me as they did. I have the A00 version in my office and it never bothered me a bit.

Hey guys, need some opinions here. I recently posted about my purchase of this monitor but was braced with backlight bleeding. Therefore I went ahead and got it replaced twice, I will only talk about the second replacement here as the first replacement had some serious backlight issue bar the bleeding. I have taken some images at different brightness:

Brightness 100:
SPGe8qc.jpg
XiSdXHP.jpg

Left = New, Right = Replacement Unit.

Brightness 45 (Optimal/Normal Usage)
Wkjnjj2.jpg
x50af14.jpg

Left = New, Right = Replacement Unit.

1) The first replacement came with same or less amount of bleeding but I couldn't check due to the bright lighting condition at that time. I didn't bother waiting until night where there's no light because there's a big patch right in the middle of the screen where the backlight is less bright than the other part of the screen. It looks like a big black stain and there's no way I can accept such monitor.

The second replacement as you can see above, still came with backlight bleednig. However, I'm starting to think that even if I call for another replacements, I might not have a better unit anyway? I'm thinking whether I should call for another replacement cause having already got two, I realised that probably 90% of these refurbed units were returned due to bleeding, stuck pixels or dead backlight problems.

I think I can say that I'm more satisfied with the current unit, the bleeding seems much less noticeable than the previous one as the area of it the bleeding is not as big as the previous one but of course it'd still be a greater satisfaction should I get 1 with totally no bleeding.

2) Another interesting thing about this monitor is that it is rev A00, manufacture date July 2011. I understood from previous posts that the revision A00 batch use a different anti-glare coating? Is there anyway I can see/check that with naked eyes?

You don't have to accept anything less than zero backlight bleeding. Just return it until they give you a working one. I guess it's cheaper for them to save in quality control and send people these replacements until they get a working one or can't be arsed to ask more replacements.

They have been very efficient thus far, sending replacement the day after I call them noon time but seriously, does anyone here even own a perfect unit?

I'm gonna assume that 90% of the units were returned due to backlight bleeding and they were never fixed!

They have been very efficient thus far, sending replacement the day after I call them noon time but seriously, does anyone here even own a perfect unit?

I'm gonna assume that 90% of the units were returned due to backlight bleeding and they were never fixed!

Yes, I had zero backlight bleeding, but the monitor made a squeaky noise so I returned it. I got a silent monitor and it has zero backlight bleed as well, perfect.

Are you able to post pictures when you have time? I want to see what a "perfect" unit looks like.

Yes, I had zero backlight bleeding, but the monitor made a squeaky noise so I returned it. I got a silent monitor and it has zero backlight bleed as well, perfect.

Are you able to post pictures when you have time? I want to see what a "perfect" unit looks like.

Do you agree that there's not/hardly a perfect unit and I should keep the current one? Anyway I've called in for another replacement and it's on it's way... Don't know if I made the right choice.

When I got mine brand new about 2 weeks ago. All I cared about was not having stuck, dead pixels and flickering. I have none of those issues and minimal ips glow. Imo. That is a near perfect unit and I kept mine. Its all up to you man. Here is the problem. You know these issues exist and know exactly what to look for. So, you are constantly looking out and paying attention to it. If its not excessive. Don't worry about it and enjoy the monitor. 3 years is a long warranty from the factory. Most are only 1 year. I do believe perfect units are out there. As with every product. Getting the golden one can be time consuming and pure luck of the draw. Just my personal opinion. I would not be going through 3, 4, 5 units etc to find that "perfect" one.

Do you agree that there's not/hardly a perfect unit and I should keep the current one? Anyway I've called in for another replacement and it's on it's way... Don't know if I made the right choice.

I just called in for another replacement and a replacement is coming in on Friday. I questioned them on their quality assurance and they said there's nothing they can do about that and they have their own standard of backlight uniformity and they will approve the monitor if the bleeding is not too serious.

However, I can't really stand the bleeding because as you have said, as long as you found out about it you will start paying attention to it every now and then it freaking annoys the hell out of you. That's the sole reason why I'm still trying to get it replaced.

I have to admit though that my current replacement unit's bleeding is not as serious, it still has quite an area of bleeding on the screen but it is pretty weak, hardly noticeable unless you pay attention.

Well, after 5 days of intensive research finally I have also pulled the trigger on a U2412M and crossing my fingers for some good luck. I paid $314 (without VAT) which was a superb deal in my country; we usually have to pay about x2 the price of its Amazon counterpart.

It will be replacing my now-dead Hyundai 19" 1280x1024 4:3 display. I'm thinking it will be a huge improvement. I am not sure about the AG coating though unless I will be able to see it with my own eyes. Hope it is not as bad as my phone screen after applying those protective plastic sheets.

This will be used primarily for programming and audio production and I felt like at least a 16:10 was a must to display a proper (comfortable) Eclipse or Cubase interface. Thanks for all the valuable posts @[H] which helped me in my decision so much...

PS: btw hello all, loooong time lurker, first time poster here :)

Back