Dell U2412M

Well, just ordered my second one of these. The Asus PA248Q went out of stock and/or sky high in price everywhere before I could get one, so I decided to just get a second U2412M. Amazon is backordered, but a reseller on the marketplace had them for $273.95 with $19.31 shipping. Still under $300 is a good price and hopefully if I need to return it, it'll be as easy as it would have been through Amazon itself.

Its arrived today, rev 05 made September 2012. Initial tests are it is fantastic! What is the best web site to calibrate it too as I dont have hardcore calibration equiptment. Also, what is the best way to check for backlight bleed and ips glow? It is so much better than the benq gw2750hm I sent back and I love the better display resolution.

I'm sending mine back due to a light grey/yellow discolouration on white screens on the right side of the display. It disappears when viewed from the right side of the screen but shows when viewing from the centre or left so I'm assuming it's an anti glare thing. Going to get a replacement though because I liked everything else about it.

I found that it did have the yellow tint that people mention but I was able to get rid of it by going into the ATI colour settings (catalyst control centre) and under Desktop management>Desktop colour I lowered the red and green gammas to 0.95 ( increased red contrast to 107 too) whilst leaving the monitors own RGB channels at 100% ( I did alter brightness and contrast though).

The on-screen colours were very close to what printed out on glossy paper at that.

Its arrived today, rev 05 made September 2012. Initial tests are it is fantastic! What is the best web site to calibrate it too as I dont have hardcore calibration equiptment. Also, what is the best way to check for backlight bleed and ips glow? It is so much better than the benq gw2750hm I sent back and I love the better display resolution.

The best way is to probably open up paint and fill it with plain black color, then switch to full screen view and look at the corners where backlight bleed usually exist.

This monitor is fantastic! I nearly have it set up to my liking but cannot quite get it right.
When in standard mode, with the TFT central brightness and contrast settings at 35/75, its too dark. The middle of the screen is really white but its greyyblue at the edges.
If i set it to game mode, the colours are fantastic and the whites are excellent also but its too bright and i cannot turn brightness down, if i do, dynamic contrast turns off and it looks like standard mode. I presume its just a case of trial and error?

When running some benchmarks etc between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 im getting about a 10% difference in benchmarks using my gtx570. Does that sound about correct? I expected a drop in framerates due to the increased pixel count.

When running some benchmarks etc between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200 im getting about a 10% difference in benchmarks using my gtx570. Does that sound about correct? I expected a drop in framerates due to the increased pixel count.

Actually, that's weird in Horizontal Plus Rendering engines (i.e. most games these days).

1920x1200 is 16:10 so you're rendering less objects on screen, just in greater detail.
1920x1080 is 16:9 so you're rendering more objects on screen, just in lesser detail.

In my experience, they run about the same.

This monitor is fantastic! I nearly have it set up to my liking but cannot quite get it right.
When in standard mode, with the TFT central brightness and contrast settings at 35/75, its too dark. The middle of the screen is really white but its greyyblue at the edges.
If i set it to game mode, the colours are fantastic and the whites are excellent also but its too bright and i cannot turn brightness down, if i do, dynamic contrast turns off and it looks like standard mode. I presume its just a case of trial and error?

I like mine at 45/75 in Standard mode. 35 was too dark, 45 seems just right to me.

Please help me before I sent this monitor back. I have tried all presets and all settings, clear text on and off, change ICC profiles, reset back to default and I cannot get it right. I am running on game preset, it's too bright but it is the only way I can get clear whites. On standard mode it bluey/grey on whites, a bit dull and looks washed out. I have tried TFT centrals profiles and they didn't work either.
I'm coming from a Samsung 22" 2232bw tn monitor. Surely this dell should be better? I recently sent a benq gw2750hm back for the same reason, I really slagged the quality of the Ben q off but the dell is pretty much the same. Tried changing the sharpness setting also but cannot get it right.
It just looks dull, not clear, washed out. Colours look great on photos etc but general web browsing, google homepage etc look worse than they did on previous monitor. Any tips/advice greatly appreciated before I sent it back and get a 24" tn panel. Could this problem be the anti glare screen, did my previous monitor have a glossy screen, I don't know the difference! All I know is I'm very disappointed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok, please ignore the above post!
I have just put both monitors side by side and the dell is superior at everything. I think it is such a larger screen, it shows everything clearer. When i plugged my old samsung 2232BW and ran it next to the dell the colours on the dell were much better, including the whites. I will just have to get use to it.

Anyone know an easy way to tell what panel is inside? I just upgraded my Samsungs and bought three U2412Ms. They look great but one of them is slightly different. The whites are more grey and grainy I assume due to the anti-glare coating they used. The other two look identical with bright clear whites and bright colors.

I noticed that the two that look the same came with cardboard packaging inside while the one that is different had Styrofoam packaging.

I'm just wondering if I got two different revisions or something with slightly different panels. I'm thinking about taking the one different one back to the store and exchanging it.

You can see the revision of those monitors in the back label.

Can you please tell us the revisions they have?

Tomorrow I will get one U2412M, and I would like to know what is the latest/best revision actually !?

WTF?? A03? I just got mine today, its Rev A00. Where do you find when it was manufactured? BTW, mine has a stuck white pixel right in the middle of the screen.

turns out I bought 3 in the store and got two A00s and one A03. I prefer the A00 over the A03 but apparently its hard to find the A00 now. I have been looking all day trying to find A00s so I can swap my A03. Looks like A03 is the latest rev

So, A00 is good? How would I know its not someone's returned unit? Didn't seem to be packed as well as previous Dell monitors I bought, and no caps on the cable ends to protect the pins like I recall my 2207 had. Makes me nervous, I don't like having stuff that's been in someone else's house in my house.

where did you get it from? if you bought it from dell directly if it was returned they would sell it as a refurbished model not new.

Just doing a side by side comparison of the A00 vs the A03 I prefer the A00. the colors are slightly but noticeably different between the two.

Just repacked it as best I could. I did buy directly from Dell. With yours was it back with Styrofoam or all cardboard? Mine was entirely cardboard, what I'd expect if it were a refurb.

The A03 version was Styrofoam but the two A00 versions were cardboard on the inside. I looked brand new when I opened them. In talking to an ebay retailer trying to find another rev A00 they said their new ones are all A04 but its hard for them to stalk the A04s. I called dell today looking for a A00 model and they said they dont have them anymore which is funny since they are still sending them to you.

I might try calling them again tomorrow but then again their customer service reps probably dont know much since the guy I talked to seemed pretty clueless on the phone about the different revisions he just kept trying to sell me the new monitor instead of listening.

I just set up my second U2412M bought last week. This one is a rev A00. I have another one bought a few month ago, which is a rev A03. After I set up the A00, I immediately noticed that there is a slight flickering(moving lines) problem at 50% brightness on native resolution. It's easy to see on a darker grey background when looking at the monitor closely. My A03 doesn't have this problem and is running at 50% brightness or less for a few month now. My setup for both A03 and the new A00 is ATI HD 3400 -> DisplayPort to DVI Adapter -> DVI-Single cable -> Monitor.

I did a few tests to see if it's a hardware/driver problem.

Test 1: Changed DVI cable and Displayport to DVI adapter. Still flicker.

Test 2: Changed A00 to main monitor and to use same display port 1 that A03 was on. Still flicker.

Test 3: Checked "reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays" in ATI catalyst control panel. Flicker problem GONE.

Test 4: Reduced resolution to 1080. Flicker problem GONE.

Test 5: Increase brightness to at least 80%. Flicker problem GONE.

Test 6: Moved A00 to another computer with straight DVI to DVI connection on an older ATI FireGL V3400 card. The driver is the default ATI driver from window 7 OS. NO Flicker.

Test 7: Moved A00 to a laptop and connected it as second monitor using VGA. NO flicker.

I'm still wondering if I should return this. Anyone has any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe this A00 doesn't like DisplayPort to DVI conversion? One last thing I haven't tried is testing striaght DP to DP connection. I'll have to find a cable. The "reduce DVI frequency on high-resolution displays" option does fix the flicker problem. Anyone knows what this fixes? I'm still well under 30 days for a new replacement. I hate to have this option turned on as workaround if there is indeed a hardware problem with the monitor.

Last edited:
Interesting. I also saw that flickering but thought it was my eyes or that I was imagining it. Now I have confirmation.

Did your A00 come backed in cardboard or foam?

Last edited:
Interesting. I also saw that flickering but thought it was my eyes or that I was imagining it. Now I have confirmation.

Did your A00 come backed in cardboard or foam?

I got mine delivered in cardboard box.

I'm still undecided on whether I should send it back because I don't have the flicker problem with the A00 hooked up to another card via straight DVI to DVI or VGA to VGA connection. With the current DisplayPort to DVI connection, I do have the "reduce DVI freqency" option as workaround. But I would love to know why it happens with the A00 but not my A03.

On the plus side, the overall picture on my A00 is a lot more smoother compared to my A03. I can see sparkles on A03 due to anti-glare coating. I don't see this in A00.

I'm still undecided on whether I should send it back because I don't have the flicker problem with the A00 hooked up to another card via straight DVI to DVI or VGA to VGA connection. With the current DisplayPort to DVI connection, I do have the "reduce DVI freqency" option as workaround. But I would love to know why it happens with the A00 but not my A03.

On the plus side, the overall picture on my A00 is a lot more smoother compared to my A03. I can see sparkles on A03 due to anti-glare coating. I don't see this in A00.

I'm on dvi to dvi and I dont get any flickering. and I saw the same thing on my A00 vs A03. The anit glare coating on the A00 is much better than on the A03 which is why I'm trying to replace it with another A00 but apparently thats hard to do. Its funny that dell still ships them direct to consumers but not to retail.

You can have mine SgtMoody, just send $280 plus shipping. ;)

found this on the dell website: "Unyielding commitment to quality and the satisfaction of our customers has driven Dell to offer a Premium Panel Guarantee as part of our standard Limited Warranty1 coverage. Even if only one bright pixel is found, a free monitor exchange is guaranteed during the Limited Warranty1 period..."

looks like you can exchange yours since it has a dead pixel.

check the source: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=premium_panel

Already set up a return...for refund. Has dead pixel and the screen flicker, with a bit off bleed through to top it off. I'll wait for the U2413.

My new monitor is an A00 and I have the same experience as you. My old one is an A03 and the A00 looks much better. No flicker issue at all. I'm really happy with the purchase and have to recommend the Amazon Marketplace reseller I used (Battery Juice).

I've purchased recently the U2412M, and my impressions are not very positive. The colors are amazing, but the rest is disappointing.

- The text is difficult to read. It's not blurry, but the sensation is that I have to do more effort to read the text of documents and webs. In my job I have 2 displays with AG coating (HP LA1951g), and the text are very easy to read.

- The IPS glow... uuuuufff... I don't know if all IPS panels have the same amount of glow, but what is the point of buying a display with great angle of vision if the IPS glow converts the blacks in whites when I turn the display 30º?

- The light bleeding... just unacceptable. The bottom right corner is incredible. I've attached a photo of the effect.

QswhB.jpg

I've only changed the bright settings, from 20 to 30 depending of the room light. The rest are the default settings.

For comparison with other LCD, I've used my TV (Samsung B650 40"), and it has no glow, no light bleeding, the text is sharp and crisp (I've used that tv to browse internet for the last 3 years) and the colors are uniform along all the screen.

Is there any glossy 22/23/24" display that can give me the same quality of my 3 years old tv?

Thanks! (and sorry for my poor english)

Last edited:
I too just bought today an U2412M, and have bleeding :(

It's rev A05 October 2012.

201301102326341.jpg

(sorry for the pic quality but it was made with my phone)

The wallpaper used is this.

I've come from an U2312HM and back light bleeding was only visible in 100% black screen, like in the windows start-up.

This one is a disgrace because even in blue and browns I can clearly see the color changed by the bleeding!!

Tomorrow I'll go back to the shop and switch with another one.

Also the bezel in the DELL logo area is not near the screen!! It has a gap of 2 or 3 mm and I can see the panel metal frame!!! Is this normal?????

Really disappointed about DELL quality control.

Last edited:
I sent mine back, I couldn't live with the washed out whites and unclear text. I think it was the anti glare coating.
I have just got a Samsung s23a700d and I love it, glossy screen, excellent colours and whites. I think it's a better picture even though its a tn panel. I do miss the extra real estate from the 1920x1200 resolution though and the dell stand was proper class.

I sent mine back, was getting a light yellow/gray grading on the right side on white screens when you sit centrally. If you sit the the left it's more pronounced, if you sit on the right the screen is uniform and clean. Amazon were great about it and offered an exchange but the new one is exactly the same.

so its apparently really hard to find an A00 anymore. I bought 3 of these at a local store last week. two were A00 and 1 A03. The A03 anti glare coating sucks compared to the A00 and it looks bad next to my 2 A00s and I'm kind of OCD about my monitors matching and looking the same. Looks like I wont be able to find a A00 to match. Debating if I should return the A03 pay the restocking fee and try my luck ordering online from dell.

Anyone know if the other revisions have as harsh an antiglare coating as the A03?

Just got one of these from best buy. On thrusday night when I first fired it up, it was a keeper for sure. I d recently gone through a dell s2440L (so glossy you can't "monitor" what is on the screen) and an lg isp235v ( lg flat out lies about the response time for their monitors) and this monitor is fast enough and there are zero reflections. Hell it even passed my "amnesia" test, where i test how well i could play amensia the dark decent on a monitor. The ips235v and s2440L both failed this test miseribly, while my 2007wfp and crt pass this test with flying colors.

Then i came home yesterday and suddenly I find no matter how I adjust it I can't get rid of the ips glow. I set my desktop to black and suddenly I have back light bleed from all 4 corners. I did a lot of adjusting the day before but nothing that should have been able to dislodge the panel. I am away from my pc this weekend so I haven't been able to run any more tests, but I did leave the monitor on to "break it in". Maybe that will help.

Anyone know if I can get a replacement from dell if I brought this from best buy?

Just got one of these from best buy. On thrusday night when I first fired it up, it was a keeper for sure. I d recently gone through a dell s2440L (so glossy you can't "monitor" what is on the screen) and an lg isp235v ( lg flat out lies about the response time for their monitors) and this monitor is fast enough and there are zero reflections. Hell it even passed my "amnesia" test, where i test how well i could play amensia the dark decent on a monitor. The ips235v and s2440L both failed this test miseribly, while my 2007wfp and crt pass this test with flying colors.

Then i came home yesterday and suddenly I find no matter how I adjust it I can't get rid of the ips glow. I set my desktop to black and suddenly I have back light bleed from all 4 corners. I did a lot of adjusting the day before but nothing that should have been able to dislodge the panel. I am away from my pc this weekend so I haven't been able to run any more tests, but I did leave the monitor on to "break it in". Maybe that will help.

Anyone know if I can get a replacement from dell if I brought this from best buy?

Just return it to best buy, they have no restocking fee and you have 14 days to do it. Or exchange it there, but I don't recommend exchanging it because it seems like most u2412's sold today have issues with IPS glow in the corners.

Back