Dell U2412M

that is H-IPS, 8 bit colors.
Do you think that U2412M will use a worst panel than U2410 ? :rolleyes: because if so will be a very bad update ;)

all the info released by Dell suggests that the "M" in the product name of their new series will signify e-IPS panels, so no reason to think this wont be an e-IPS module, although ultimately thats a sub-category of H-IPS anyway. The H would signify 16:9 aspect which remains to be seen

I am happy with my U2410, but I am looking forward to 27" or even 30".

that is H-IPS, 8 bit colors.
Do you think that U2412M will use a worst panel than U2410 ? :rolleyes: because if so will be a very bad update ;)

It is H2-IPS and not H-IPS. It is, in fact, just E-IPS. This new Dell is set to compete against HP's ZR24W as a budget monitor.

ridicolous dell !
another patetic expensive monitor only because is 16:10 ? the wrong format ?

The S24A850D will be much better.

So I guess there will be 2 different versions the HM and the M then?? I take it if that's true then Dell is trying to put them up against each other to see which one sell's better..

So I guess there will be 2 different versions the HM and the M then?? I take it if that's true then Dell is trying to put them up against each other to see which one sell's better..

i believe there's only 1 version. Early Dell info supplied to various sources suggested it would be called the U2412HM and be 16:9 aspect. now the correct info is that it will be called the U2412M and will in fact be 16:10 aspect

I'm not optimistic that the price on this monitor is going to reflect using a cheaper panel (as compared to the u2410). But nonetheless I'm looking forward to release. Maybe, this will make the older models cheaper.

i believe there's only 1 version. Early Dell info supplied to various sources suggested it would be called the U2412HM and be 16:9 aspect. now the correct info is that it will be called the U2412M and will in fact be 16:10 aspect
Actually, the initial information (a .inf file) did say U2412M. Someone along the way thought that, because the other two models discovered with it had an H, it was an omission/typo.

senna89 said:
ridicolous dell !
another patetic expensive monitor only because is 16:10 ? the wrong format ?

The S24A850D will be much better.
They just announced the 24" PLS will be 1920x1200, too.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/24.htm#samsung_s24a850dw
Though the 6-bit thing certainly kills it for me.

This definitely looks cost reduced from the U2410, so it better be reflected in the price. Other than that, I like what I see. It is no longer wide gamut, so having a poor emulation mode should not be an issue.

This is what I found on Dell Korea configurator (now it's gone)

Dell (TM) UltraSharp U2410 [+ 645,700 won] = 611 usd
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 LED [+ 352,000 won] = 333 usd
DELL Ultrasharp U2312H 21.5 HD [+ 273,900 won] = 259 usd

but U2312H ≠ 21.5, and so prices can be wrong too

from dell japan configurator (disappeared now too)

U2410 24 TFT [+ 65,100] = 809 usd
U2311H 23 TFT /IPS[+ 27,300] = 340 usd
U2211H 21.5 TFT /IPS [+ 26,250] = 327 usd
UltraSharp U2412M 24 LED [+ 34,650] = 431 usd
Ultrasharp U2312H 21.5 HD [+ 27,300] = 340 usd

this prices seems more legit, again U2312H ≠ 21.5

So it looks like expectation of a price drop will be met or even exceeded. This is looking like a great price potential. It should be only 60% of the current price or even less. It should be listing for about $349 US (or even better).

Which makes it one of the best 1920x1200 monitor deals out there at list price. Sweet.

I'm looking to upgrade my aging CRT....I'm thinking I might keep the U2412M on my radar but I want to see how it fares first once it's released.

Has there been any information as to whether the strong AG coating will remain from the U2410?

I take back what I said earlier. With the features they took out (Composite, S-Video, Component, HDMI, Audio Out / In and Card Readers) I can see this thing getting much cheaper. With that said, they kept the necessities. DVI / DP / VGA can accommodate most setups and the full set of adjustments is paramount. How do you think this will compare to the panel on the Dell 2209wa? (only e-ips panel I've seen)

Meh, I like the looks of the u2311h/u2410/zr24w more...this one looks cheap.

Also, 6 bit + dithering and edge lit led might make it a worse display than the u2311h, even if the latter has only 1080 vertical pixels.

Well that doesn't indicate anything regarding the harshness of the AG coating, if that's what you meant. If they quoted some sort of haze percentage, we could maybe determine how rough it will seem... 45% is a typical value for most screens (with no "excessive AG-coating"). 3H is just the hardness of the material. You'd be hard pressed to find a polarizer treatment which is below 3H in hardness today.

But is it 120Hz?

Is there still no 1920x1200 120Hz display even announced yet? I feel like I'm waiting for nothing.

Disappointing because, in most ways other than price, this appears to be a downgrade of the U2410.

But it's definitely good news for people looking for a 24 inch IPS screen that's closer to $350 than $500. Some people were concerned about 16:9 completely taking over, but it appears 16:10 is going to be around a bit longer - if only to extract an extra $100-$150 from those who still want that extra bit of screen height over a 23 or 24 inch 16:9, and for whom the price jump to a 27 or 30 inch IPS screen is still way too much money. So I expect 24 inch 16:10 screens will cling on until the prices of larger screens come down a lot more.

What'll be a more interesting question is whether such cost saving measures can be introduced on their next 27 or 30 inch screens to bring them down to the $500 type price range that the U2410 presently occupies, since this new screen appears to leave a gap in that segment.

Some people will really miss the card reader and other input options. But I do regard the move down to a 6 bit colour panel, in particular, a real step backwards. I wonder if any improvements in response speed could be gained from such a move. But, regardless, when 10 bit colour was supposed to be on the distant horizon, in some sense it's quite sad to see things move backwards instead of forwards. I just get the sense that the overall picture quality is going to offer an inferior experience to the U2410. But, looking on the positive side, it's still going to be a lot better than most of the other non-IPS stuff in the $300 range.

Disappointing because, in most ways other than price, this appears to be a downgrade of the U2410.

I just get the sense that the overall picture quality is going to offer an inferior experience to the U2410. But, looking on the positive side, it's still going to be a lot better than most of the other non-IPS stuff in the $300 range.

I get the sense that the picture quality differences will be miniscule (and maybe even an improvement for sRGB users) and we get save a bundle of money. So I think it is great.

Unless you had a real need for wide gamut work the U2410 was far from ideal, you an sRGB emulation mode that wasn't very good and you couldn't adjust it internally. Now this will be an sRGB screen and you will be able to make internal adjustments as that will be the native gamut. That is actually an improvement in my estimation.

People make a big deal out of 6bit+FRC but really again, nearly unelectable without specific test pattern that try to trip up the FRC.

A full 10 bit display chain is one of those things forever in the distance. NVidia/AMD only give you 10 Bit capability if you buy their top end cards (usually only their pro workstation GL cards). The OS really doesn't do anything 10 bit, so you need custom apps to go with your FireGL card or similar. If you are graphics pro with FireGL card and Photoshop/AutoCad or some other high end 10 bit app you will probably have a 10 bit pro graphics monitor from Eizo/NEC anyway.

Dell just moved this into a better place (more affordable) market space for most consumers.

Last edited:
Well that doesn't indicate anything regarding the harshness of the AG coating, if that's what you meant.... 3H is just the hardness of the material. You'd be hard pressed to find a polarizer treatment which is below 3H in hardness today.

Oh? I didn't know that distinction - thought hardness of the coating implied how harsh it'll be.

Snowdog said:
People make a big deal out of 6bit+FRC but really again, nearly unelectable without specific test pattern that try to trip up the FRC.
I don't understand why they're doing this though. It seems like it would be more complicated to do dithering than to just display 8 bits in the first place, so what is the advantage?

I don't understand why they're doing this though. It seems like it would be more complicated to do dithering than to just display 8 bits in the first place, so what is the advantage?

I would say since they are doing it, it is the cheaper solution. They being LG the panel maker. It seems that all their inexpensive e-IPS panels have gone 6 bit + FRC.

I get the sense that the picture quality differences will be miniscule (and maybe even an improvement for sRGB users) and we get save a bundle of money. So I think it is great.

Unless you had a real need for wide gamut work the U2410 was far from ideal

But that's the thing. The very wide gamut of the U2410 is a difference that is easily seen in person, and the U2410 is quite a nice improvement (in terms of the range of colours possible) over standard sRGB monitors. That does introduce new problems you don't need to worry about when you stick with sRGB. But I'd rather see things move in a direction where those issues are solved well and wider gamut devices become common, rather than live in a world where we're forever limited to a much narrower range of colours than our eyes can see, just because the bulk of content is currently in that format.

It's not just wider gamut photographic work which benefits either. Quite a few games look fantastic using a wider gamut, even if they weren't intended for it. Of course you can, just as easily, find ones that look over-saturated too. The point is I'd rather technology moved in the direction of solving issues, giving people a choice, and eventually we'd see more software take advantage of something if the user base is large enough. If people only have sRGB then there's no reason to ever change.

,you an sRGB emulation mode that wasn't very good and you couldn't adjust it internally.

Now this will be an sRGB screen and you will be able to make internal adjustments as that will be the native gamut. That is actually an improvement in my estimation.
It is, but only because Dell haven't made their own internal LUT calibration methods available to end users. You do have control over the basic RGB values for sRGB mode from the test mode. But they did mess up how the monitors controls were implemented in custom mode, meaning it's impossible to generate a 2.2 gamma from there because of the strange curve that mode used. These are more of a statement against how Dell/Innolux implemented things (or rather didn't) rather than a statement about wider gamuts though. Hopefully, with a native sRGB gamut, it'll at least be a lot harder for them to mess that up on the U2412. ;)

Btw Dell did make a very nice job of the U2410's ICM file. It's calibrated to 10 bit, so even test patterns look good when translated using it from within a wide gamut mode. I'm very happy with the results I get out of it on Firefox.

Well, not only is most content sRGB, it's also designed for 8 bit. The main thing I have against 6 bit is the implementations I've seen nearly always seem to have issues when it comes to differentiating small (but visible) differences in very dark or very light shaded areas, where the 6 bit implementation loses some of the details. Something which is hard to notice when you're looking at moving video , but easier to notice on high resolution still images. Although I did get the impression that the 6 bit colour saturation also suffers a bit on video too. Maybe I've just seen crappy implementations up until now though.

With regards to 10 bit, it does always seem to be permanently in the distance. But it does allow for a full 8 bit emulated colour space within a native wide gamut mode, and is one small step in the right direction of eventually making very wide gamuts (even wider than the U2410) a complete non-issue, so everyone can then have their cake and eat it, so to speak. Of course, in this case it was brought about by the limitation of the LED lighting rather than a calculated move on Dells part, and LED does bring its own advantages. It'd just be nice not to see such things confined to an expensive "pro" niche. Along with increased resolution, better blacks, and faster responses, a better gamut has its part to play in improving image quality for everyone.

I'll also be curious to see if there's a lot less reports of visible colour uniformity issues with the move away from such a wide gamut. My guess is, whilst there will still be issues (It's LG after all), it won't be on the same scale as the U2410. So in that sense the limitation may also turn out to be an improvement in some ways..

Back