Dell U2410

I did read the previous posts. Have you ever got a refurbished LCD from Dell before? Is that how they package their refurbished LCDs?

The rep told me I was going to get a new LCD. If what you say is true, then they lied to me. I want to see to it that I get a new one and I'm not going to waste my time with a refurbished product.

Oh boy do they lie! They are trained to lie, because Dell operates on the theory that most buyers are novice idiots who wont notice any problem with their products. That is why they send out returned units as "refurbs", hoping it would stick this time. They even delete negative posts from their forums. I'm just surprised they are operating on that same notion with this semi-pro grade monitor.

I didn't get mine exchanged. Mine is pretty OK, with a slight pink tint at left top. Just trying to live with it now until I can buy NEC or EIZO. Dell will never get another penny from me thats for sure!

Oh boy do they lie! They are trained to lie, because Dell operates on the theory that most buyers are novice idiots who wont notice any problem with their products. That is why they send out returned units as "refurbs", hoping it would stick this time. They even delete negative posts from their forums. I'm just surprised they are operating on that same notion with this semi-pro grade monitor.

I didn't get mine exchanged. Mine is pretty OK, with a slight pink tint at left top. Just trying to live with it now until I can buy NEC or EIZO. Dell will never get another penny from me thats for sure!

Is it confirmed that's how Dell ship out refurbished LCDs? Or this is just an assumption here? I'll have to call Dell tomorrow, but what if they ask me how do I know if it's new or refurbished?

Is it confirmed that's how Dell ship out refurbished LCDs? Or this is just an assumption here? I'll have to call Dell tomorrow, but what if they ask me how do I know if it's new or refurbished?

Thats how MS are with their 360's. they send you refurbs.

Cant you guys just return it from where you got the monitor? Get your money back and use that to buy the same monitor brand new?

If they ask, just tell them you were told that the exchange sent to you would be a refurb, see if they raise an objection. :) I can guarantee they won't say a word. Because they actually HAVE been doing it and openly telling customers that it would be a refurb if they want to exchange. Only on 3rd or 4th time around they agree to send you a new one, which I wouldn't blindly accept as a new one either! Dell is evil.

Tomorrow I'm getting my money back and buying the HP IPS 24'' screen

What HP?

The Hp 2475w, or maybe the Hp ZR24w?

Doesn't one of these HP monitors use the same panel as the Dell?

The ZR24w, not exactly the same and from the reviews on the post here, it seems to be doing a lot better

I don't think that's obvious to a lot of people. You're right, there isn't a calibration report, but there is that setup paper. Even then, how do you know for sure that it's a refurbished product? Have you ever got a refurbished LCD from Dell before?

No, I have not received a refurbished LCD. But I have received a refurbished Axim PDA from them before, and like nearly all manufacturers, the refurbish comes in a skimpier box than compared to a new unit.

Except maybe Apple, I believe theirs comes in a retail box but with no logo or anything on it.

Seriously though, your best bet is to call them...

Well I have a second replacement coming from Dell Canada, they tried to send me a refurbished, and I had to nudge them for a new one. I'll see if they do indeed send me a refurb or a new one.

This is quite sad, as I really like my current replacement. But it looks like a dead pixel suddenly appeared, or maybe it's a dust spec behind the AG coat. It definitely just showed up yesterday though.

I am going to ask for a full refund if the incoming replacement is no good. This is ridiculous, I wish I ordered the U2711 for $799 instead.

Well I've had the monitor for a few days now but I don't think I'm very happy with it. I was unaware of how much wide gamut changes colors. I wanna ask other owners in this thread if they just put up with it or they prefer it.

Up till now I've had two lcd TN monitors a gateway fhd2400 and a samsung 204b and the colors are very
different and just looked better for nearly everything. But i know that the dell is so much better in every other aspect (photos look better and have more detail on this monitor.

I still have the fhd2400 connected and next to the dell so I'm constantly comparing them.
Do you think if I got rid of the fhd2400 and replaced it with another dell I would soon forget these changes?

Well I've had the monitor for a few days now but I don't think I'm very happy with it. I was unaware of how much wide gamut changes colors. I wanna ask other owners in this thread if they just put up with it or they prefer it.

If your issue is indeed with wide-gamut, then that's what the sRGB preset is for. It does a pretty decent job at emulating sRGB color space.

If your colors just look "wrong" then it might just be a BAD factory calibration. My first U2410's colors looked like SH*T compared to my replacement.

Lastly it may just be an issue with you being used to looking at (non-calibrated?) TN monitors for a long time. Whereas the Dell has been calibrated at factory to some degree...

Posted this in the 2711 thread by accident:
--------------
Hey guys,

Was following this thread for a while now.

Just picked up a U2410 locally (brand new from a Dell authorized seller) for $550CAD and I love it. Might get another. I can definitely see no issues so far; no dead pixels, green/pink tint and the edge colors seems great.
I have an older 22" widescreen Dell beside it and that one has the pink tint for sure.

I don't know which page it is, but what are the best ways to test this monitor for color etc.?
Thanks guys!

Can someone tell me how to check for the lamp hours on the U2410?

Power off the screen, hold the Brightness/Contrast button and menu buttons, while doing so press power.
When the screen switches on wait for all the lights to come on, when it does this press the Preset Modes button..
You should now see the blue factory menu to the left of the screen..

Yes, your latest is a refurb. For exchanges, Dell only sends out new replacements for the first 21 days after initial purchase. After that, you get a refurb. It's automatic and it's their company policy and the salespeople online/phone can't change this policy (yes, I've tried). The shipping and service departments are not linked, so your customer rep can't request a new exchange, the system automates it.

Refurbs come in different packaging. The new ones come as you have already seen - fully boxed, foam, screen report, etc. Refurbs come in a plain box, simple packaging, no foam, less content.

If your refurb is tint-free, just keep it and be happy. Just check it over carefully. The refurb I got had severe tinting, so back it went. I was trying to get an A01 for the dithering fix. The new A00 screen I had didn't have tinting. So I kept it and flashed the bastard myself.

So luckily I now have a new U2410 that is tint-free and has the latest firmware. If I didn't, I'd be going postal on Dell at this point. Ridiculous about the tinting. You may want to consider the HP ZR24w.

Last edited:
I decided to return my u2410 for a refund while I still had the chance and went with 2 HPzr24w's (two just to avoid paying shipping) don't know how long it will take to get here. Going with these saved me about 80 bucks a piece opposed to the u2410.

I decided to return my u2410 for a refund while I still had the chance and went with 2 HPzr24w's (two just to avoid paying shipping) don't know how long it will take to get here. Going with these saved me about 80 bucks a piece opposed to the u2410.

I've been looking at the HP before I bought my U2410.

The HP seems good, but I believe the Dell has more input options, as well as a better looking design overall.

User reviews seem good so far for the HP though, still waiting for some in-depth reviews...

If I return my U2410, I'd probably look into the HP, or save up for a U2711...

I really wanted the 23" NEC E-IPS?, but the 16:9 put me off...

I've been looking at the HP before I bought my U2410.

The HP seems good, but I believe the Dell has more input options, as well as a better looking design overall.

User reviews seem good so far for the HP though, still waiting for some in-depth reviews...

If I return my U2410, I'd probably look into the HP, or save up for a U2711...

I really wanted the 23" NEC E-IPS?, but the 16:9 put me off...

Yeah I love the design of the u2410 and the all the inputs, problem is I couldn't really get used to the wide gamut nor did I have the use for the inputs but i will miss the card reader. I will need to get a third monitor in the future in order to do eyefinity. I think I may end up getting a u2410 if it drops below 400 on a sale. I don't have a ati card right now anyway.

Yes, your latest is a refurb. For exchanges, Dell only sends out new replacements for the first 21 days after initial purchase. After that, you get a refurb. It's automatic and it's their company policy and the salespeople online/phone can't change this policy (yes, I've tried). The shipping and service departments are not linked, so your customer rep can't request a new exchange, the system automates it.

Refurbs come in different packaging. The new ones come as you have already seen - fully boxed, foam, screen report, etc. Refurbs come in a plain box, simple packaging, no foam, less content.

If your refurb is tint-free, just keep it and be happy. Just check it over carefully. The refurb I got had severe tinting, so back it went. I was trying to get an A01 for the dithering fix. The new A00 screen I had didn't have tinting. So I kept it and flashed the bastard myself.

So luckily I now have a new U2410 that is tint-free and has the latest firmware. If I didn't, I'd be going postal on Dell at this point. Ridiculous about the tinting. You may want to consider the HP ZR24w.

I forgot, but how do I check for the revision of the LCDs?

Was the refurbished unit that you got packaged similar to how I described mine?

I've also been told that all refurbished unit have the refurbished label on the box. Mine doesn't have that. The cables seems to be new as it's still tied up well except the DVI cables doesn't have those lids on it.

Edit: I actually found a video on Youtube showing the exact package that I got as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8a6KTEbc2o

I have no reason to doubt that the person in the video is lying. My replacement U2410 is packaged in the same manner as that in the video. The guy in the video said it's brand new. The two Dell representatives that I talked to assured me that the replacement is new. I know you're telling me that if it's good, keep it regardless if it's refurbished or not. However, I didn't pay this much to get a refurbished LCD. My box doesn't say it's refurbished so now I'm confused as hell. I'm kind of dying to hear what you have to say and then reassess the situation.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8a6KTEbc2o

I have no reason to doubt that the person in the video is lying. My replacement U2410 is packaged in the same manner as that in the video. The guy in the video said it's brand new. The two Dell representatives that I talked to assured me that the replacement is new. I know you're telling me that if it's good, keep it regardless if it's refurbished or not. However, I didn't pay this much to get a refurbished LCD. My box doesn't say it's refurbished so now I'm confused as hell. I'm kind of dying to hear what you have to say and then reassess the situation.

No one will doubt that the one in the video is new, because he has a calibration report. You stated that you don't have a calibration report with yours, and thus you probably have a refurbished unit. (unless the Dell guys goofed and left it out)
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1256560.html
People have been reporting (you can see it in the link above) that refurbished units do not come with a calibration report. Did you ask the reps why yours has no calibration report?

As to why that guy in the video has that type of packaging, it could be due to many reasons...different region, earlier release packaging, refurb...etc...

I doubt that anyone cares, but after much reading and deliberation, I'm choosing to go with the HP ZR24w.

users are extremely happy, little or no complaints
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491561

users are very dissatisfied
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1441159
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19302919.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19307543.aspx

No one can blame you for wanting to go with the other , its newer and so far its got pretty happy users. I love the U2410 but I'm nervous to get 2 more and end up with issues so I'll probabyl get 2 ZR24w's since they seem less problem prone.

However I would still recommend someone the U2410 in a heartbeat.

I was disappointed to read that the HP ZR24w does not do scaling - either 1:1 for 1080p or aspect ratio for 720p. It only stretches the picture. Still I do like some of the things it does do right, and it appears cheaper. Hm... tough call between the U2410 and the ZR24.

Alright, here's another update on this matter. The replacement LCD that I got is indeed refurbished or maybe it was used and returned by another person.

After installing it and checking the screen, I notice a fingerprint and some smudges. There were also dead pixels. I checked the service menu and I notice it's already been used for over 8 hours. I called Dell to complain telling them that it was irresponsible for them to do something like this given the fact that I first called them for a replacement 2 weeks after I ordered it. They shouldn't have sent me a refurbished. This would be a different story if it was 1 month after I ordered it. Anyways, I was given assurances that I will indeed get a new one, but the experience so far has kind of left a bitter taste in my mouth. The refurbished unit that I got is even worse than the one that I'm trying to replace. I told them that if they can't get this right, I'll demand a refund. The rep told me he understands my concerns and frustration, told me he'll check up on me sometime next week and we'll move on from there. I guess I don't have a choice now.

Hi,

Almoast same thing happend to me. After I've receive it, I've posted 2 hours later on dell forums the problem regarding the grey noise in sRGB and aRGB mode, I was one of the first to find this problem.
It was told me that I need to wait for a new firmware, that was happening in september last year. This year in march I've contacted them for an exchange with a rev. 01 monitor, and they sent me a refurb one without calibration report and the rev.01 was a sticker over rev.00. It was ok, with minor scratches but I've refuse it. They sent me a second one with rev.01 directly printed on the monitor, not a sticker, but it was also refurb and it was having dead pixels. I refuse the 2nd monitor also. And now they called me to inform me that it was approved to send me a brand new rev.01 monitor. :D
I'll wait and see ....

I checked the service menu and I notice it's already been used for over 8 hours.
FYI, my last U2410 that I had bought as "new" also had 8 backlight hours on it. I returned it the same day (not because of that but because it was worse than the previous).

how do you access service menu ?

Here you go.

Activating tests mode on the U2410..
Make the Touch Sensor (AKA Exit) button light up (You don't have to press it, just have it light up)
Now press and hold where the Menu and Preset Modes buttons are for 3 seconds..
You've now activated a U2410 test mode

Use Menu to cycle grey, red, green, blue, and white screens. Menu again exits.
It's kind of similar to the LCD conditioning mode you can enable from the menu, except with grey, and without any writing.

The second test mode allows you to access a more complete "Innolux" factory menu
Power off the screen, hold the Brightness/Contrast button and menu buttons, whilst doing so press power.
When the screen switches on wait for all the lights to come on, when it does this press the Preset Modes button..
You should now see the blue factory menu to the left of the screen..

"Dell flat panel monitors are built to the highest standards. Each monitor has been exhaustively tested using Dell’s Highly Accelerated Lifecycle Testing (H.A.L.T.) process to help ensure the quality and reliability you expect when you see the Dell logo."

They used to advertise this with almost all their monitors. Oddly I haven't noticed it on any of their recent Ultrasharp product pages.

Also how do you guys think they calibrate the monitors? Obviously they need time to calibrate the monitor. 8 hours don't really mean much...They probably have the ability to reset the timer (and it probably resets on a firmware flash as well). As such even on a new monitor it will have some usage time...

The 3 I ordered back in Nov 09 are fine. I read about all the tinting issues and ordered with crossed-fingers. I am happy with my 3 A01 U2410s... gonna order a few more for my new 5870 2gb soon.

I noticed on my third one that the angle I view it at affects whether I see the tinting or not. Anyone else noticed this? Does this mean that it might be the anti-glare coating?

I have an A00 w/ dithering problem. Should I go through the hassle of exchanging for a refurb. flashed to A01 or just flash it to A01 myself?

If I should just flash myself, where can I get the A01 firmware and flasher program?

I have an A00 w/ dithering problem. Should I go through the hassle of exchanging for a refurb. flashed to A01 or just flash it to A01 myself?

If I should just flash myself, where can I get the A01 firmware and flasher program?

If you are happy with your current monitor other than the dithering I would just flash it. Chances are you will get a panel with flaws that was returned by someone else. There is a link back a ways in this thread. I'm at work and don't have time to find it but if you read back you should be able to find it.

HP ZR24w more reliable?

Hi,
I got my U2410 A01 from lite-com.de yesterday. No notable light drain and after calibration (with Spyder 3 Pro) it has nice colors too.

But... This monitor suffers from very annoying color shifting. If scroll this page so that this message box is on top of the screen, it has white background, but when i start to slowly scroll this page so that this box moves to bottom of the page. It starts to slowly change color from white to light light yellow.

When i open photoshop, i can see that photoshop's grey background is grey ftom top to center, but after that it starts to "grandiently" get yellow tint.

When i read hardforum, i can't notice anything cause of dark colors. But when i watch pages with white / light grey background this same problem exists. Is this the famous tinting problem?

I started to think that maybe i should ask my money back and return this monitor... And use my old shitty TN-panel, until there is good LCD monitors.

When i read hardforum, i can't notice anything cause of dark colors. But when i watch pages with white / light grey background this same problem exists. Is this the famous tinting problem?

I have this 'yellowing' on my third one (2nd new replacement) but on the bottom left corner (about 1.5inch area). I noticed that if I jack up the monitor brightness to the default 50, I can't really see the 'yellowing' as much. So it might just be a white uniformity issue. However, I don't like my screen being that bright, so I'm just using it at 30 brightness with the 'yellowing'.

It's only my second day with this replacement, so I will have to see whether or not I can live with it.

On my original I had a dimmer/tinted edge on the right hand side of the screen. Which I could see even if I messed around with the brightness and other settings. The colors were also very F**ked up on it.

My second one was near?-PERFECT and had a very good calibration report, but sadly after 2 weeks, it looks like dust got behind the filter or a dead pixel developed. :mad:

My current one, is nearly as good as the second aside from the 'yellow' corner, but the calibration report isn't that great...:rolleyes:

If you are happy with your current monitor other than the dithering I would just flash it. Chances are you will get a panel with flaws that was returned by someone else. There is a link back a ways in this thread. I'm at work and don't have time to find it but if you read back you should be able to find it.

Found the firmware upgrader and flashed my U2410. Went from 90 to M1f19.

Dithering seems to have been fixed.

This monitor suffers from very annoying color shifting. If scroll this page so that this message box is on top of the screen, it has white background, but when i start to slowly scroll this page so that this box moves to bottom of the page. It starts to slowly change color from white to light light yellow.

When i open photoshop, i can see that photoshop's grey background is grey ftom top to center, but after that it starts to "grandiently" get yellow tint.

No, it's probably not the typical tinting problem. The tinting issue usually contains red (often called pink) green, or blue. It's (at least somewhat) related to the very wide colour gamut of the screen, the screen's coating, viewing angles, and whatever's happening during panel construction specifically related to red, green and blue colour values.

Although, I suppose, it's possible that the above could show as a yellow tint, your problem sounds much more like an issue related to the back light on your panel. IE something about the light itself, or how its sitting inside the panel, means it's not lighting up as much as it should at the yellow section.

If it bothers you enough to risk an exchange (keeping in mind your chances of getting an exchange with either tint issues or dead pixels is quite high since Dell swaps your screen from a pool of everyone elses rejects) then tell them there is an issue with your back light and you're not happy with the screens performance in that regard.

Back