Dell U2410

Well, damn. Got here today, fired it up, and was taking test photos to compare it with my old one when I realized I have two and a half stuck pixels :-( One blue, one green, and one lazy red pixel that sometimes gets stuck. Thank goodness for that premium defective pixel return policy!

At any rate, if anyone wants to check out how the U2410 stacks up vs my Samsung 205BW here are the photos in all their stuck pixel glory:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chui101/DELLU2410

just got mine, rev A01 made in Mexico

no dead pixels or tinting issue (that i can see)

i can happily retire my NEC 20wmgx2

also any tweaks for the sharpness setting? or should i leave it default

just got mine, rev A01 made in Mexico

no dead pixels or tinting issue (that i can see)

i can happily retire my NEC 20wmgx2

also any tweaks for the sharpness setting? or should i leave it default

What about the antiglare coating? any noticeable 'graininess'? That's usually one of the bigger complaints with that panel.

Just received my panel today as well. Also Rev A01 made in Mexico.

Quick testing shows no signs of tinting, but I have just discovered that I have one or two stuck pixels :( All was good until I saw it!

Because it's red on a white background (and blue on a green background), does that make it a dark sub-pixel and therefore ineligible for a replacement? (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?docid=150023)

Last edited:
the graininess isnt noticeable unless you are like 1 foot from the monitor

i would say my NEC had this graininess to but its more noticeable now cause of the size difference

any obvious tinting?

Not that I can see, but the camera seems to suggest that there might be towards the left side. I can't really see it myself. The stuck pixels are far more obvious...

Oh, forgot to mention: Rev A01, Mexico, March 2010. Anyone else besides Xigga have a Mexico U2410 with stuck pixels? And you might be able to play dumb and pass it off as a stuck bright pixel, who knows ;)

Update: I just talked to them on the phone, they didn't even ask me to run any tests or to describe the stuck pixel. Think you could probably get away with it.

Last edited:
I was unhappy with the graininess of the antiglare coating. However, thanks to a trip planned right after I got the monitor I ran out of enough time to really decide if I wanted to send it back or not.

The eyestrain I was having was alleviated by turning down the brightness.

I really only notice the antiglare on white/gray text backgrounds. Unfortunately I deal with a lot of text for work :( Just be aware that it is a factor. It looks like someone sprayed a very fine mist of water on the monitor to me when looking at a white background.

I only notice the graininess when I'm sitting about a foot and a half away from the monitor. It's there, but not really a major problem; the one on my Lenovo X200 tablet screen is actually a bit worse (but it lets me work even in direct sunlight so it's well worth it.) I think you'll just get used to it after a while though :)

Last edited:
alright got my exchange in the mail.

Same tinting issue, a little better but same tint. Blacklight bleed on the bottom left as well and the stand is crooked + a dead pixel. So the second screen is worst than the first one by quite a bit.

I do have a question however.

When you guys got your exchange units, was the return instruction (label + paperwork) in the box or in a separate letter ?

Well I just went through the test menu to check for tinting and I don't see it myself (grabbed a few cameraphone snaps as well to save myself from going crosseyed) and other than the horizontal lines I could see (similiar to the flicker you would see @ 60Hz on a CRT) things look pretty good. I'll run the monitor through calibration this weekend before I edit some photos to see how it matches up with the 2209WA's I've got on either side of this beast.

When you guys got your exchange units, was the return instruction (label + paperwork) in the box or in a separate letter ?

They emailed me a UPS label after I confirmed that I received the replacement.

I'm confused by all the gamut talk about this monitor. Can't seem to get a clear idea of all that 72%, 110%, 100%sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB etc. Can anyone explain it to me please?

Dell website says "Compatible with Industry Color Standards: 100% sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB meets the needs of professional users.."

Other colour management sites say things like 72% is true sRGB. blah blah blah, I'm utterly confused.

I have Spyder3Pro. In what colour mode (in monitor menu) should I calibrate this thing? How exactly should I use this monitor to prepare prints and also web graphics? Help!

It's been a few months since I used the software calibration software with the Spyder 3 Pro but I'm pretty sure you set it to custom mode and then follow the instructions. On my 2209WA's I used the custom RGB mode.

On the U2410 I would suggest the following:

Input Color Format : RGB
Gamma : PC
Mode Selection : Graphics
Preset Modes : Custom RGB

and let the software help you configure the rest.

I'm confused by all the gamut talk about this monitor. Can't seem to get a clear idea of all that 72%, 110%, 100%sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB etc. Can anyone explain it to me please?
Just a percentage by itself does not mean anything. So when someone says 72% AdobeRGB they mean the monitor can display 72% of the possible colors in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

There are two colorspaces of interest here, AdobeRGB and sRGB. Adobe's is the 'wide gamut' colorspace, and sRGB is the standard gamut colorspace (very close to REC 709). As the names imply wide gamut is a larger gamut and has more colors in it that standard sRGB gamut. So 100% sRGB = 72% Adobe RGB. The only people who should really have any interest in Adobe RGB are professionals who deal with print and sources that require wide gamut. Almost everyone else needs standard gamut. Displaying standard pictures and video on a wide gamut mode / screen results in wonky and overblown colors.

All DVDs, Blu-Rays and 99.9% of the content on the internet and every other source you are likely to encounter is 'standard gamut' or sRGB - you want a monitor that is as close to the sRGB standard as possible.

Most monitors can only display one colorspace, but this Dell can actually (mostly) correctly switch between both color modes, although in sRGB modes the A00 revision had some issues, and it does add a little bit of input lag.

So my exchange unit arrived, and it had more problems than the first! It will not go into sleep mode, but just endlessly cycles between sleeping and waking up... and it has a very noticeable blue tint on the right side. Trying to get Dell to take back the return unit - I can deal with stuck subpixels, but the tinting and power save issue is absolutely horrid.

On the bright side, at least I get to run a dual 24" setup for a bit...

Could someone tell me how big the space between the stand and the screen is?

kdu4oy.jpg

I'd like to fit my center speaker in there which has a height of 117mm.

Could someone tell me how big the space between the stand and the screen is?

kdu4oy.jpg

I'd like to fit my center speaker in there which has a height of 117mm.

Hey I just measured its 12cm. So looks like you will be able to do that.

Tried to upgrade from A00 to A01 today. Got this:

captureu2410q.png

Fortunately, it worked on the second try. Dithering now gone!

Just got my third unit in. Haven't plugged it in yet. but looking at the calibration specs its the worst one so far. A couple of the Delta go all the way up to four...
Also worrying thing over the phone will the dell support:

DELL:
"this will be the third unit you get ?"
ME:
"yes"
DELL:
"okay, this time I'll make sure you get a brand new screen."

WTF are you telling me you sold a me a refurbished unit ?

I' m really aggravated at this point. I haven't tried the third one but looking at the calibration chart it can't be any better than the previous two. If there is no tint or dead pixel I'll consider keeping it, otherwise refund and HP will be getting my business.

Got one of these last week, I'm unsure if it has any tinting issues (which i suspect is good) and the backlighting is great almost no light bleed ( some in the corners but its very little) I'm having trouble getting used to the colors everything is pretty different from the TN panel I have next to it.

I'm considering getting a syder3 or something similar for my future purchases.

What is the verdict for this one? I'm on the fence about buying. I've read about 70 pages here and all of them at the Dell site. This would be my first Dell product and I'd rather not gamble with 500-600$ purchase.

Although it seems the dithering issue is all but gone and the tint issues were not as bad as a lot are making them out to be... ? Could someone perhaps recommend an alternative if this is still a poor choice, thanks?
under 600$
24in
mostly for Movies/FPS games
anything other then TN

What is the verdict for this one? I'm on the fence about buying. I've read about 70 pages here and all of them at the Dell site. This would be my first Dell product and I'd rather not gamble with 500-600$ purchase.

Considering the return policy and warranty I wouldn't worry too much if you are in Canada or the USA.

Just a percentage by itself does not mean anything. So when someone says 72% AdobeRGB they mean the monitor can display 72% of the possible colors in the Adobe RGB colorspace.

There are two colorspaces of interest here, AdobeRGB and sRGB. Adobe's is the 'wide gamut' colorspace, and sRGB is the standard gamut colorspace (very close to REC 709). As the names imply wide gamut is a larger gamut and has more colors in it that standard sRGB gamut. So 100% sRGB = 72% Adobe RGB. The only people who should really have any interest in Adobe RGB are professionals who deal with print and sources that require wide gamut. Almost everyone else needs standard gamut. Displaying standard pictures and video on a wide gamut mode / screen results in wonky and overblown colors.

All DVDs, Blu-Rays and 99.9% of the content on the internet and every other source you are likely to encounter is 'standard gamut' or sRGB - you want a monitor that is as close to the sRGB standard as possible.

Most monitors can only display one colorspace, but this Dell can actually (mostly) correctly switch between both color modes, although in sRGB modes the A00 revision had some issues, and it does add a little bit of input lag.

Hey thanks a bunch. See, this is the first time I see that sRGB = 72% of Adobe RGB colour space. Now a lot of things are making sense! Do you think this monitor has an accurate sRGB space in sRGB Mode? Because I noticed Spyder3 doesn't really change saturation or intensity of any colours, just balances it, although its hard to notice. Which mode would be the best one to calibrate with Spyder and use for photo editing?

If sRGB is used everywhere what is the use for wide gamut? I thought editing photos in Adobe RGB was better for printing? Thats why I went for this monitor, but now I've notices on few sites that even printing services ask for sRGB files. What gives? We trying to just ignore all that extra gamuts?

This colour management dilema has been bugging me for years. Too many conflicting opinions and suggestions out there for some reason.

When you guys got your replacement LCDs, did it came in different packaging from the original? I got my U2410 replacement earlier today and the packaging is different. The LCD isn't held by the Styrofoam like my original U2410 were. It's just held by different pieces of cardboards inside. Did Dell changed packaging here or they gave me a refurbished? Basically the packaging doesn't look very sophisticated like my original U2410s. It's making me suspicious and all.

How does one know if they have got a refurbished LCD or not? Also I notice the the instruction paper wasn't completely inside the box. When the deliveryman dropped off the item, I noticed that part of the instruction paper sticking partially stuck outside the packaging.

Last edited:
Has anyone had theirs suddenly develop a dead pixel? Because that's seems to be my case...

I only had this replacement for 1.5 weeks!!

When you guys got your replacement LCDs, did it came in different packaging from the original? I got my U2410 replacement earlier today and the packaging is different. The LCD isn't held by the Styrofoam like my original U2410 were. It's just held by different pieces of cardboards inside. Did Dell changed packaging here or they gave me a refurbished? Basically the packaging doesn't look very sophisticated like my original U2410s. It's making me suspicious and all.

How does one know if they have got a refurbished LCD or not? Also I notice the the instruction paper wasn't completely inside the box. When the deliveryman dropped off the item, I noticed that part of the instruction paper sticking partially stuck outside the packaging.

Man! Dell truly sucks so hard! I knew it ever since I bought my laptop 3 years ago. We should all just save up and buy NEC or better. Teach Dell a lesson in quality control and honest, fraud-free business practice. Time for anti-Dell movement of some kind. Companies like this gets my blood boiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post

You sir got a refurbished unit.

So far this is what I got:

bought a U2410:
screen colors were bad
all looks yellow ish and dull (like a smokers window) +
the blue / pink tint thing
back-light bleed a bottom left corner

Got an exchange:
Screen colors were better,
back-light bleed at bottom left corner and all along left side
blue / pink tint but better than previous one.
stuck pixel
crooked stand.

Got another exchange:
Bleed is terrible, bottom left, whole left side, top left
the whole screen is tinted blue / pink with transition in the middle.
I didn't even look for dead pixels or anything else on that one. Its so bad Google search background goes from blue to pink. My roommate (who has no idea about the whole ordeal) walks in: "oo wow are you having problems with your computer ?"

I don't think this is normal for a $600 screen that is "calibrated" I had all three of them hooked up next to each other, on the srbg setting, and there was visible difference on the colors. Tomorrow I'm getting my money back and buying the HP IPS 24'' screen.

It is not worth the effort to buy this screen. If you get a bad one you will spend hours on the phone with annoying techs that are following stupid trouble shooting procedures on their computers, while trying to hard to be nice.

May I ask how you know this?

I would say its pretty obvious. No styrofoam means not the original packing. I've never seen laptops and LCDs packed without a styrofoam casing around it.

And I'm pretty sure they don't even refurbish, they just send the ones coming back, right out, hoping some novice buyer won't notice any problems.

Test it though, but I'm sure its not a good one!

Also, in some previous posts you will find someone mentioning how Dell reps told them the exchanges sent to them would be refurbs. So they are in fact sending out refurbs as exchanges.

Well if it isn't new and sealed with calibration report/instructions/cables/cd-rom etc...then it is obviously a refurbish.

Since you got it though you might as well test it...

I don't think that's obvious to a lot of people. You're right, there isn't a calibration report, but there is that setup paper. Even then, how do you know for sure that it's a refurbished product? Have you ever got a refurbished LCD from Dell before?

I'm not going to install it because I'm not going to keep it. If what you say is true and that Dell sent me a refurb then I'm going to ship it back. The rep told me I was going to get a new LCD and I'm going to see to it that I get one. Or else I ship everything back and demand my money back.

I would say its pretty obvious. No styrofoam means not the original packing. I've never seen laptops and LCDs packed without a styrofoam casing around it.

And I'm pretty sure they don't even refurbish, they just send the ones coming back, right out, hoping some novice buyer won't notice any problems.

Test it though, but I'm sure its not a good one!

Also, in some previous posts you will find someone mentioning how Dell reps told them the exchanges sent to them would be refurbs. So they are in fact sending out refurbs as exchanges.

I did read the previous posts. Have you ever got a refurbished LCD from Dell before? Is that how they package their refurbished LCDs?

The rep told me I was going to get a new LCD. If what you say is true, then they lied to me. I want to see to it that I get a new one and I'm not going to waste my time with a refurbished product.

Back