Dell U2410

I talked to a retailer yesterday and he reckons that the new revision A01 U2410's have been manufactured in Czech Rupublic and might be shipped to him this friday.

I will post back after I have spoken to him on Friday as I am after one!

I have two U2410s, one has no tint issues at all and the other one has a very mild pink-green on the top-right corner. I heard that the sRGB/ARGB firmware fix is ready on Dell, and that I can only get it by exchanging my monitors for refurbished flashed ones.

DO YOU RECOMMEND GETTING THE FIRMWARE FIX RIGHT NOW[/COLOR] and risk getting crappy flashed Rev A00 units, OR SHOULD I WAIT A COUPLE OF MONTHS when the chances of getting some newish Rev A01 (albeit still refurbished) will be higher???

If you have a U2410 without tinting issues I would not risk returning it unless the dithering in the RGB modes is a serious problem for you. Tinting is something that is completely chance - you might get it and you might not. Since you've already won the "lottery" I wouldn't try playing it again unless you have to. Maybe trade in the one A00 that has tint issues in hopes of getting a A01 without.

I talked to a retailer yesterday and he reckons that the new revision A01 U2410's have been manufactured in Czech Rupublic and might be shipped to him this friday.

I will post back after I have spoken to him on Friday as I am after one!

Please do bogie170, I have been looking all over for an actual customer confirmation of A01.

Well, I just got off with a great representative from dell. Pretty much he guaranteed me that I will get the new revision. He looked through the system and found out these new batches are in stock and will ship me one. Only drawback is that he is charging me the retail price with tax and what not and he will credit me back my money once I ship my old monitor out to them. Hopefully everything will work out fine.

I suggest if you guys have this option, to go with this route. I will keep you guys updated at always.

Best.

Turns out this guy lied to me. I got the other monitor in today (have both them on me) and apparently the new fixed one I got looks like its been used. There were scratches on the vga cable and on the back of the monitor so I know its a second hand. I wouldnt have minded it if the panel was fixed, I could have looked over the small details. Apparently, the dithering is still there on this monitor. On the box it says "A00" so I was expecting that this monitor was the fixed one with label not being updated. Turns out that wasnt that case.

At this point, I give up with this whole dithering thing. I am left with 2 options, either return both the monitors and get my money back (2X monitor ~$1000) or keep the first one which was new and send this second one back. Or keep both of them :rolleyes:...........doubt it though since I have 2 imperfect monitors on my desk that cost a roughly a thousand dollars.

I'll post up some pics. and videos later.

Last edited:
lol
First of all don't buy this thing if you have any color critical work, or you are too sensitive to color variations.
I now have a new U2410 replacement next to the first one, and I don't know which one is worst in terms of color consistency! :p :eek: Manufactured in Czech Republic November rev. A00 Still has dithering, but it wouldn't bother me much if it weren't the tinting issues.

Comparing both screens in a cloned desktop, full white screen, Standard mode on both, same brightness and contrast ratio.
Result:
The first screen is half pink on the right side and some dirty white more like grey on the left side.
The second screen (replacement) is half green on the left side, and something close to the desired white on the right. The white on the second is also more luminous.

Lets change mode, same brightness and contrast ratio, now in Multimedia mode we have the same results but with a little less bright screen. By now I prefer the second screen.

Game Mode :
The monitors will kick up the brightness gradually over a couple of seconds. Lots of pink on the right side of the first screen and some green on the left of the second. The Lagon Viewing angle test picture is all godamn pink on the first and all godamn green on the second.
The light grey backgrounds will enhance the pinks and greens on the panel... odd :confused:

Warm and cool modes are useless for me. I cant find any situation where I need the screen to be all yellow tinted in warm mode or completely blue in cool mode, there's enough tinting issues already. Also the pink areas on the screen become purple in coll mode. horrible!

Adobe RGB mode Where is the tinting?? The most part of it has gone! Just some green on the bottom left corner on the first, and pink on the top left corner of the second. This is interesting, the tinting has reduced and swapped from pink to green and vice-versa in ARGB.

RGB mode has same tinting results as on ARGB.
RGB seems to have slight less brightness
The Logom viewing angles test reveals a patch in the second monitor, something like there was a round lens in front of the monitor where I can read the "lagom" word, and that's the only spot I can read it. Fail again!

The Custom Color mode looks alright if I reduce the Gain a little bit. The white background doesn't show much tinting and the white is more close to white as expected.

The tinting on white and light gray BG are the most important factors to me because I browse a lot the internet and make some webdesign, and as the webpages BG are 90% white or light gray this is important.
Anyway I want another monitor Dear Dell this one sucks too. Make a better effort please!!

Does your U2410 actually look as bad as that in person? (IE The camera isn't "boosting" what you see?). If that's how it looks in front of you then that's definitely not typical.

Are you sure the camera isn't just boosting the IPS corner glow? If you move around you should be able to tell the difference between typical IPS glow and real backlight bleed, because IPS glow will fade kinda like a TN panel would when you view from an angle. Try to take the picture from an angle where you notice minimal IPS glow.

Also, are you turning the brightness/contrast up to 100% etc? Just use your normal settings. Another thing is people should make sure they're not in game mode since not only is it brighter but the Dynamic Contrast feature will artificially help the darkness on a totally black image and make any bleed look better than it is.

This is what I got a few months back when checking. All the U2410's I've seen have been very good in regards to backlight bleed.
Backlight.jpg

i had a google about the ips glow you talking about... is it in orange color only?? because i dont know anything about ips glow until you mention it. Yup, i set the monitor to 50,50 brightness and contrast to take the shot~ and im using srgb mode for your info. i saw your photo...if that was what you saw in real... than i can said that it was far better den mine. mine can notice the white light at the lower left corner. right side is ok~

I saw people getting it for $450 shipped not long ago. Is that still possible?

I doubt I will even notice most of the problems that people mention as I don't do any photo editing beyond the basic home photos. I mainly do web/productivity/games/movies.

I saw people getting it for $450 shipped not long ago. Is that still possible?

I doubt I will even notice most of the problems that people mention as I don't do any photo editing beyond the basic home photos. I mainly do web/productivity/games/movies.

You can get one from the Dell Clearance Store on eBay for $499 and then 8% bing cashback. It was 15% before but I can't seem to find bing keywords to search that bring up the 15% link anymore. To get the cashback you have to go to bing.com and search for terms like "lcd monitors" "dell monitors" etc, then a link will come up at the top for eBay 8% cashback. Make sure to follow all the restrictions.

So you could get it for around $460 that way. Stuff from Dell's eBay store is new according to their site. When you order from Dell's eBay store be sure to fill in the transfer of ownership form at Dell's website so you get registered with Dell for warranty issues, etc.

Last but not least thanks for buying up the A00 =)

You can get one from the Dell Clearance Store on eBay for $499 and then 8% bing cashback. It was 15% before but I can't seem to find bing keywords to search that bring up the 15% link anymore. To get the cashback you have to go to bing.com and search for terms like "lcd monitors" "dell monitors" etc, then a link will come up at the top for eBay 8% cashback. Make sure to follow all the restrictions.

So you could get it for around $460 that way. Stuff from Dell's eBay store is new according to their site. When you order from Dell's eBay store be sure to fill in the transfer of ownership form at Dell's website so you get registered with Dell for warranty issues, etc.

Last but not least thanks for buying up the A00 =)

Thanks for the reply. Is there sales tax for eBay store purchases (I live in GA)?

Also, is it possible more me to get "good" colors for gaming/movies without them having the wide gamut "sun burn" effect?

Thanks for the reply. Is there sales tax for eBay store purchases (I live in GA)?

Also, is it possible more me to get "good" colors for gaming/movies without them having the wide gamut "sun burn" effect?

Most places do tax based on shipping address. If GA has sales tax on something when you buy from a store then you probably have tax on that same something you buy on the internet. I'm not 100% sure on that though as I don't live in GA =)

If you use the gaming mode for the reduced input lag / response time I think you have little choice in colors. They don't look incredible from most accounts I've read but that's the price you pay for bypassing the processing hardware to get speed. You can still tune from your graphics card settings while getting the speed benefits of gaming mode but this is more limited.

If you use the standard mode or custom mode you will probably be able to dial in some colors that look reasonable. You'd do best to get feedback from an actual U2410 owner and not an on-the-fence-hoping-Dell-will-fix-it-to-be-better customer like me :D

You can just click on the buy button (it requires immediate payment) and not complete it. The next screen will show any applicable sales tax.

Yes, both RGB modes look good, I prefer the Adobe RGB as it is more vivid.

I got mine for 480 shipped after tax by calling this guy:

Keith Wenzel

1-800-901-3355 ext 94-60854

([email protected])

Mention hardforum, and that you're looking at buying a U2410, and he'll have someone call you back. He is no longer in the right department, but he'll get the right person for you. They'll apply all the discounts they can (no need to haggle or anything), and it ended up at 480 all-in for me. YMMV

Thanks for this tip I just ordered up two, emailed Ken last night got a response this morning called and picked up two for 485.00. Wont get them till next week theyre in production according the Dell tracking page. Again thanks for the tip!!!!:D

The latest response from Chris on the Dell forums:

===

Re: U2410 Rev A01 eta?
14 Dec 2009 09:30PM

rkhrt27,

ChrisM have you still not received an email back?
* Yes. We are in discussions. Nothing to report yet.

===

A01 is imaginary =P

So I ordered a Dell SP2309W over Black Friday weekend because I thought it would be a "good enough" TN panel. After living with it for the past 2 weeks and doing some U2410 and IPS research, I decided I would return the SP2309W and wait for the U2410 RevA01 to hit the streets, maybe get a good sale price early next year.

I know there's a lot of talk about Dell's great customer service, at least when it comes to monitors. I wish I could say I had a good experience. After several HOURS on hold I finally got to the right person, who then offered me a $20 credit to keep the monitor and then upped it to $25 (really, like 5 dollars would make the difference for anyone). I told the rep no, I am not happy with the viewing angles, I just can't keep it, but I thought the offer was really strange :confused: .

So the rep then tells me there will be a 15% restocking fee. I know the policy says "Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, a restocking fee may apply of up to 15% of the purchase price paid", but come on. What's the criteria to decide of the fee applies? It seems like it is how badly Dell doesn't want the monitor back.

Anyway, this has soured me on buying the U2410. If I don't feel that it lives up to the hype or the cost and I want to send it back, I'll have to pay 15% on $500 bucks, and that just doesn't work for me.

When returning a monitor to Dell, never tell them you're returning it just because you're not happy or satisfied with it or they'll charge you that restocking fee. I'm fine w/ TN monitors since I sit right in front of my monitor, but I did go through six SP2309Ws before finally just getting a refund.

I finally settled on the G2410 and the first one I got was perfect. It's a nice secondary monitor. If you're going to wait until next year though just to get a U2410, there will be something better out by then. Not all A00 U2410s are bad. My A00 U2410 is just fine. I'm sure it has a little bit of tinting and the srgb mode does show a little bit of that graininess issue, but I don't use the srgb mode and the tinting i only noticeable if I look for it.

Yep, Dell customer support is terrible. I was on the phone for around 3-4 hrs (total) (once I was on hold for an hour only to get hung up on... cell minutes are free, right?). Also a terrible experience with the SP2309W, seems to be a piece of crap honestly.

As for the u2410, they have said, like posted in this thread that the color issue is not grounds for a return... which I find ridiculous for a $500 monitor. It seems the A01 will be out pretty soon, but that doesn't mean you will get one when ordering.

Yeah, the restocking fee threat had me pretty scared too. Almost scared enough to not make a purchase in the first place, if i'd be charged $75 for hanging onto a bum monitor for a few days before returning it.

The salesperson I spoke to assured me that it wouldn't apply if i returned an A00, and then when i called to initiate the return and got connected to a different person, he said it probably would. I brought it up with the first sales person the next day, and she told me not to worry. Even she admitted that Dell is very inconsistent in that area. Since i've only returned one monitor so far, others probably know the policies and how to work around them better than I do. One thing my salesperson did emphasize was that the return policy is 30 days from the date the monitor ships. Some reps will say 21 days, but that's really for non-Dell products or something. Since people don't always understand that the 30 day window for Dell products doesn't begin from the date of *receipt*, they throw out 21 days as a generic guideline. I think as long as you get your monitor back within 30 days of the original ship date, your chances of having to deal with a 15% restocking fee are much lower.

Yeah, I am definitely within the 21 day window, nevermind a 30 day window. I really don't like the use of the word "may" in their policy, and I can't take the chance on a $500+ monitor.

Any chance the U2410 will be in any big box stores like Best Buy next year, I wonder?

People do yourself a favour and bypass this monitor and go the NEC EA231wmi route if you can get it.

I went through 4 Dell U2410. All bad.:mad: This was a while ago September/October and maybe they are getting better (but somehow I don't think so).:(

I now have the NEC EA231wmi and all I can do is heap praise on this monitor. Other people seem to agree. It is simply an amazing monitor for the price and is even maybe worth a little bit more. It is selling at least $120 cheaper than the Dell which you can put towards a new graphics card.
It is an IPS screen, 1900 x 1020 resolution, amazing build, good uniformity unlike the Dell U2410 (LG Display seem to have addressed this problem somewhat with their newer E-IPS screen), good backlight and amazing color accuracy (far better than any Dell U2410's I had come through my house)

Do yourself a favour and avoid the heartache. Try the NEC and I think you will not be disappointed. I certainly am happy never to see the Dell U2410 ever again after a month of back and forward exchanges. :mad::mad:

My full review is on the NEC EA231wmi discussion.

Edit: And yes I can confirm that Dell customer service is atrocious. My conversations with them lasted for something like half an hour with back and forward transfers to different departments. Mad even just thinking about it. Dell have seriously hurt their reputation with this monitor. I don'[t know if I will ever go back to them after this. :(

i had a google about the ips glow you talking about... is it in orange color only?? because i dont know anything about ips glow until you mention it. Yup, i set the monitor to 50,50 brightness and contrast to take the shot~ and im using srgb mode for your info. i saw your photo...if that was what you saw in real... than i can said that it was far better den mine. mine can notice the white light at the lower left corner. right side is ok~
Here's a link to a video of IPS glow.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2pIysomGPI

On the U2410 it tends to show as white patches in the 4 corners of a dark screen. As you can see from the video, the "light" on the black background disappears as the angle changes. With real backlight bleed it'd tend to stay noticeable even if you changed angle. If it "fades", like in that video, it's IPS glow. Many will mistake the glow for backlight bleed, but it's actually just a limitation of the technology.

Some monitors can have even worse IPS glow..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iopyUpKhYJg

I got a U2410 a few days ago after reading all the positive reviews. I can't believe all the reviews have been positive considering all the problems people are experiencing.

This is my first IPS monitor. I previously had a basic 22" Asus at 1680x1050 screen res so my eyes have been adjusting. I do web design and basic photoshop editing. I found the preset color modes looked fake - more than anything the red always looks too bright. A webpage I was viewing had a deep red logo but with most of the color modes it looks more towards pink. So to cut a long story short i'm using sRGB mode because to me the colors look more realistic. I have brightness set at 7 and contrast at 45. I found the default brightness at 50 way too bright.

One thing I have noticed since day one is when viewing a screen with a white background the white looks like it fades towards the bottom of the screen, like there is less back lighting towards the bottom or something. It's more noticeable on white because that's when it's the brightest. Is this normal?

Another U2410 coming tomorrow, will be number 3 . The idiot spanish speaking bad Portuguese insisted the tinting problems where caused by the cable! wtf... looks like they don't know this issue much.

One thing I have noticed since day one is when viewing a screen with a white background the white looks like it fades towards the bottom of the screen, like there is less back lighting towards the bottom or something. It's more noticeable on white because that's when it's the brightest. Is this normal?

It wouldn't be normal to me. Do you notice any color shift/tinting in that area on white backgrounds? Ask for a replacement. Dell will sure have a bad time with this exchanges back and forward. Lets hope they learn the lesson and make things right!

The best way to describe it is it looks like normal white in the top to middle of the screen but then looking towards the bottom it looks like a gradient going into a dirty off-white type of color. It's like the lighting gets dull towards the bottom the screen. And i'm viewing the monitor directly and not on an angle. I'm using a VGA connection but don't think that's why. Has anyone experienced a similar problem to this?

If I try to swap it for a new one it could be a dud too, from what i've read here.

The best way to describe it is it looks like normal white in the top to middle of the screen but then looking towards the bottom it looks like a gradient going into a dirty off-white type of color. It's like the lighting gets dull towards the bottom the screen. And i'm viewing the monitor directly and not on an angle. I'm using a VGA connection but don't think that's why. Has anyone experienced a similar problem to this?

If I try to swap it for a new one it could be a dud too, from what i've read here.

If you don't notice any slightly colored shades in that area then try to increase brightness, and/or change to Custom color mode as this mode has the best whites in my opinion, maybe it can solve that.

Last edited:
You hold down the second and fourth (counting from the top down) on powerup. The LEDs will stay on, and then just hit the top one.

In doing so I adjusted my SRGB colour temp to about 245/212/210. The pink cast seem to be much less noticeable in the sRGB mode now. Has anyone else had luck with this method, or remembers what the defaults are?

Hi everyone - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I ordered a U2410 a few weeks ago, seemingly without any of the tint problems that have plagued many of the panels. The static dithering is particular nasty when in sRGB mode, though. Like others, I'm on the fence about returning it. On one hand, it's a great monitor (even with the static dithering), but I'm a little sore about spending $500 or so and not having a monitor that can handle grey.

I'm surprised monitor manufacturers aren't pursuing user-flashable firmware. It's already possible for many devices, and would save everyone involved a lot of hassle

Hi everyone - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I ordered a U2410 a few weeks ago, seemingly without any of the tint problems that have plagued many of the panels. The static dithering is particular nasty when in sRGB mode, though. Like others, I'm on the fence about returning it. On one hand, it's a great monitor (even with the static dithering), but I'm a little sore about spending $500 or so and not having a monitor that can handle grey.

I'm surprised monitor manufacturers aren't pursuing user-flashable firmware. It's already possible for many devices, and would save everyone involved a lot of hassle

Full agreement from me on the idea of supporting user firmware upgrades. There are downsides, inevitably there will be some that have something go wrong with their update and then they might "brick" their monitor. (This is something that the Sony PSP was notorious for) But the cost of supporting a handful of users who mess things up vs. having everyone return theirs for upgrades is an easy comparison to make.

My cynical side says Dell isn't investigating it because they're banking on people not returning their monitors to be re-flashed, hence they avoid supporting end-user flashing capabilities and having to handle upgrade returns.

Latest response from Chris on the Dell forums - A01 by Christmas unlikely:

The latest is that there are many discussions going on about this. Nothing has been decided. In my opinion, there will not be an A01 by Christmas. Maybe they will surprise me. My question to you, is your normal usage going to be using sRGB and Adobe modes? If not, then the A00 should be fine even if you have to go into Custom Color and make adjustments.

And one more follow up from Chris:

All,

If I do buy now and get an A00 can you say definitively that I'll be able to trade it in for an A01 when they become available?
* For the dithering complaint, yes.

This is some good news, if you get an A00 with tinting due to the panel, this might be a path to trading it in for a different panel, just complain about the dithering when A01 comes out - that is provided they actually swap it and don't just reflash the monitor you send them and return it to you.

I had a lot of righteous anger when I first read about the tinting problems and Dell's response but it seems there's no other good options in this price range unless anyone has some suggestions. The HP2475 is an earlier revision of same panel from LG.display and suffered the same tint issues, and there doesn't seem to be any other 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel in this price range ($500-600). I may have to go with this - not because I'm excited about it but because there's nothing else.

I had a lot of righteous anger when I first read about the tinting problems and Dell's response but it seems there's no other good options in this price range unless anyone has some suggestions. The HP2475 is an earlier revision of same panel from LG.display and suffered the same tint issues, and there doesn't seem to be any other 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel in this price range ($500-600). I may have to go with this - not because I'm excited about it but because there's nothing else.

Thedrun - I am happy with mine at this point. I've fluctuated between ecstatic and hating it, lol.

I should post a pic of a white screen just so people know that *I think* many of the U2410s out there do not have tint issues.

It is an excellent monitor for the price point ($500). There isn't really anything close for the same amount. I could have returned this and bought a NEC 2490WUXi for $1100, but I could not justify that amount of money just to have a 'perfect' screen, if such a thing exists. I'm not examining MRI outputs all day.

If you get a Rev A01, and the dithering issue is fixed in RGB, it would be an excellent buy. If by chance you get a tinted panel, immediately return it due to the bright pixel you see...;)

If you don't notice any slightly colored shades in that area then try to increase brightness, and/or change to Custom color mode as this mode has the best whites in my opinion, maybe it can solve that.

I am trying out Custom color mode now and brightness set on 10. It still looks slightly tinted towards the bottom. With regards to the red which I was saying looked too pink in most color mode presets, I decreased Red saturation from 50 to 40 and reds look decent now - not as sunburnt looking. If there are other settings I should change please let me know as i'm a newbie too all of this. Am I the only one who finds this monitor to be very bright, even in a well-lit room?

Are we sure Rev A01 firmware is going to fix all these problems? There still might be a lot of disappointed people after its release. I find it ridiculous we can't download firmware and update it ourselves when the time comes. I guess if A01 comes out and it's a huge success then I will try to swap it under warranty. I have also noticed the dithering in sRGB mode but my main concern is the slight tint i'm seeing towards the bottom of the screen.

I am trying out Custom color mode now and brightness set on 10. It still looks slightly tinted towards the bottom. With regards to the red which I was saying looked too pink in most color mode presets, I decreased Red saturation from 50 to 40 and reds look decent now - not as sunburnt looking. If there are other settings I should change please let me know as i'm a newbie too all of this. Am I the only one who finds this monitor to be very bright, even in a well-lit room?

Are we sure Rev A01 firmware is going to fix all these problems? There still might be a lot of disappointed people after its release. I find it ridiculous we can't download firmware and update it ourselves when the time comes. I guess if A01 comes out and it's a huge success then I will try to swap it under warranty. I have also noticed the dithering in sRGB mode but my main concern is the slight tint i'm seeing towards the bottom of the screen.

joshi - In any mode but the RGB presets, the monitor is running in full wide-gamut mode. So unless you are using color-managed software, things will look a bit saturated. I find the custom mode isn't that useful. This monitor (and all wide-gamuts) are basically a bit ahead of their time. When all OS's (Windows included) and apps/games are fully color managed, everything will look great. Until then, OS and apps will looks saturated with wide gamut.

So...if you use the RGB modes (which simulate a normal color gamut and/or 'dumb-down' the wide color gamut), the colors should be pretty good out of the box. I like the Adobe RGB mode...it has a bit more intensity to the colors than the sRGB (which is probably more accurate however).

It comes down to what you need and want.

The latest update on the Rev A01.

DELL-Chris M said:
Do all of the new monitors currently being built have A01 now?
* No. This is a fix on fail rework. Only returned monitors will be fixed to A01.

Are new monitors that already have A00 being upgraded before they are sold?
* No. See above.

You ask why? Very few of our customer who purchase this monitor will ever see the Dithering issue, therefore, we only need to flash the ones that are returned for this issue. Those flashed monitors will then go out as replacements to customers who specifically complain about the Dithering.

really? That means that a high percentage of those A01 monitors will have tint issues because they are monitors that people have returned already? This will be the worst lottery.

oh man, now I dont know if I dare to get my monitor replaced. It is perfect except for the dithering, and I would like to be able to use sRGB.

ahhh the 3rd U2410 replacement is different! This time the tint is from green to BLUE!

Did they charge you every time for the monitor?

Also, did they ever send a return label for the monitor that is supposed to be sent back?

This is bullshit.

Back