Dell U2410

I run a mid 2007 dual boot Mac Pro, which has limited graphics card support on the Mac OS side (and I currently have the best card it does support, an 8800 GT). A new graphics card will sadly have to wait for a new computer, but yeah, that would certainly be the most ideal solution to my problem.

Anyone else have a chance to go eyes on with the U2410 and 1680x1050?

It doesn't do 1680x1050.

Here's my previous post:
Preset Display Modes
The following table lists the preset modes for which Dell guarantees image size and centering:
Display Mode Horizontal Frequency (kHz) Vertical Frequency (Hz) Pixel Clock (MHz) Sync Polarity (Horizontal/Vertical)
VGA, 720 x 400 31.5 70.1 28.3 -/+
VGA, 640 x 480 31.5 59.9 25.2 -/-
VESA, 640 x 480 37.5 75.0 31.5 -/-
VESA, 800 x 600 37.9 60.3 40.0 +/+
VESA, 800 x 600 46.9 75.0 49.5 +/+
VESA, 1024 x 768 48.4 60.0 65.0 -/-
VESA, 1024 x 768 60.0 75.0 78.8 +/+
VESA, 1152 x 864 67.5 75.0 108.0 +/+
VESA, 1280 x 1024 64.0 60.0 108.0 +/+
VESA, 1280 x 1024 80.0 75.0 135.0 +/+
VESA, 1600 x 1200 75.0 60.0 162.0 +/+
VESA, 1920 x 1200 74.5 60.0 154.0 +/-

But if your output is 1650x1050 U2410 will do it at 1920x1200 with 1:1 pixel mapping.

This is my screen:
http://img207.imageshack.us/i/bw002.jpg/
http://img706.imageshack.us/i/bw003.jpg/
Anyone can apply those High Hue efects to the photos so I can tell how bad is the green pink tint?

Also the card reader stopped working... how nice... :rolleyes: What should I try to make the card reader work?

I think in the past there has been a sticker somewhere on the monitor (maybe on the back) that will say Rev A01.. or something like that..

Does yours say A01? Can you verify that your monitor does not have dithering in sRGB mode? Since Dell said all monitors after November 20th should be fixed then yours should include the fix.

If anyone gets an A01, please post here, I know there must be other people like me waiting to hear that current stock is A01.

If you are considering this monitor definitely be sure to read this Dell forum thread.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19302919/19603137.aspx?PageIndex=1

This thread starts with a response from a Dell representative acknowledging there is a pink/green color gradation issue and essentially stating that it is an intended effect of the product as delivered. The rep goes on to detail how no further exchanges will be offered for the problem.

On page 7 of the thread I put a huge wall of text describing how this is a terrible company practice - telling customers that there is no issue when clearly there is and many have experienced it. Further on page 7 you can read chat logs from a customer who contacted Dell support and had techs repeatedly tell them that the tint issue has been fixed. I don't know if maybe the techs are just uninformed or are confusing it with the sRGB dithering issue (which hopefully HAS been fixed) but receiving the same message from 3 Dell people seems to leave little room for doubt. As has been said here over and over, color gradation is a characteristic of the panel and cannot be fixed with firmware - at the very least it would require an overhaul of the drive logic to permit color control over separate areas rather than the whole monitor.

Dell's handling of this has really put me off from buying a U2410. As I said in my post on the Dell forum I normally don't mind the panel lottery, I think most of us know this to be a "fact of life" regarding monitors - sometimes you get good and sometimes you get bad. But Dell has basically come out and said yes it is a lottery and now we don't even get a chance to play the lottery until we win. If you get green/pink tint your options are keep it or refund it. I suppose you could refund and re-buy over and over until you get a good one but that's no kind of way I feel like putting up with. Barring new developments or another incredible deal (sub $500) I'm out on this just on the principle of how poorly Dell has responded to this.

@ihmcguinness - I'm not sure what secret you might have on your side but even with EPP 7% from the company I work with it's not under $500 right now. We're talking USD just to be clear. Maybe you have some buying tips you could share with us, but I've not met with much success haggling with Dell on the phone.

<update>
It looks like you can get this at around $425 if you're willing to get it from Dell's eBay store. Searching for various terms ("dell monitor" "monitors", etc.) at bing.com will bring up a 15% cashback eBay link at the top. Sometimes 8% shows up, just search again until you get a 15% link (some rumors about a 20% link, I could never get one). Follow the cashback link to eBay. You then have to the search up the U2410 from Dell's eBay clearance store, pay with Paypal, etc. You get your cashback some 60 days later according to bing. I am wary that the eBay clearance ones are likely to be the A00 that still have sRGB dithering though so I still haven't pulled the trigger. There's a 5% bing.com discount for dell.com which puts the price just above $500 also but I still get the feeling it would be better to wait for Dell to get "official" A01 out there. That and the tint issue still lingers...

Anyone seen an A01 label yet btw?

Last edited:
I'm sure that this has been covered in this thread already, but I'd like to know whether or not the green/pink tint issue will effect me if I'm primarily a gamer / multimedia user? I really want an IPS panel, I'll be coming from a Gateway FHD2401 (Worst backlight bleeding ever!) with a TN panel.

Is it really something I'll notice as a non-photoshop user? Or is it quite noticeable under all conditions/cirumstances?

Thanks all.

I got mine for 480 shipped after tax by calling this guy:

Keith Wenzel

1-800-901-3355 ext 94-60854

([email protected])

Mention hardforum, and that you're looking at buying a U2410, and he'll have someone call you back. He is no longer in the right department, but he'll get the right person for you. They'll apply all the discounts they can (no need to haggle or anything), and it ended up at 480 all-in for me. YMMV

Keith Wenzel

([email protected])

Mention hardforum, and that you're looking at buying a U2410, and he'll have someone call you back. He is no longer in the right department, but he'll get the right person for you. They'll apply all the discounts they can (no need to haggle or anything), and it ended up at 480 all-in for me. YMMV

Much love for the response, I'm still on the fence. Definitely don't want the sRGB dither issue since there is a fix, but how to tell if the fix is in the monitors currently being shipped? I haven't seen any reports yet. And still worried about getting green/pink tint. How did your U2410 turn out?

turned out fine. they all ahve the dithering issue, but i got mine about 3 weeks ago, and no tint issues whatsoever.

also, right when i opened the box, tehre was a sheet of paper labeled 'factory color accuracy report' or something like that, with graphs and diagrams and the like. it was pretty clearly a response to the pink/green tint issue, as it wasn't in the earlier U2410 boxes.

turned out fine. they all ahve the dithering issue, but i got mine about 3 weeks ago, and no tint issues whatsoever.

also, right when i opened the box, tehre was a sheet of paper labeled 'factory color accuracy report' or something like that, with graphs and diagrams and the like. it was pretty clearly a response to the pink/green tint issue, as it wasn't in the earlier U2410 boxes.

Not so sure about the factory report - I think all new U2410s are supposed to come with that. The calibration is done only for one point - in the center of the screen - so it gives general assurances, but for the tint issue which is usually on the corners it doesn't mean much of anything.

Still it's good to hear a report of good panels coming out. I don't suppose you could be convinced to crack the thing open and see what the panel grade is stamped on the inside? lol.

Do you think you'll be trading yours in for ones with the firmware that corrects the dither issue? Seems especially risky given you actually got some decent panels.

I just ordered one yesterday with the dell clearance storeon ebay and with 20% bing cashback (instant for me :D). Dell automatically recognized that it was me and it went straight into my dell account that I usually use. I dont know how that works, can someone give me an insight? I guess its by name and address.

I figured that if all the orders go through dell one way or another then I may have a chance at getting a newer revision.

Anyway, I am not sure what I will do when I get the monitor. Maybe turn it for a profit or actually end up using it (most likely). Where would I look for the revision number on the monitor? If it is A00, these are plagued with dithering issues right? The A01 are the new releases that have these issue corrected?

Where would I look for the revision number on the monitor? If it is A00, these are plagued with dithering issues right? The A01 are the new releases that have these issue corrected?

Not sure where you would look I assume it's on the monitor labels somewhere. ChrisM, the Dell rep over on the Dell forums that deals with customer issues, stated that the dithering issue was firmware fixed and into the hubs as of November 20th, but there wasn't a visible label change for it. I haven't heard any reports here or elsewhere of a non-dithering U2410 or an A01 labelled U2410 either as of yet though.

Poking around the Dell site it appears if you say you're a small/medium business you can get the U2410 for $100 off, $499 before tax/fees. If you're a Home though, you only get $70 off. But I don't see anything preventing me from checking out either way. Confusalizing.

Last edited:
Poking around the Dell site it appears if you say you're a small/medium business you can get the U2410 for $100 off, $499 before tax/fees. If you're a Home though, you only get $70 off. But I don't see anything preventing me from checking out either way. Confusalizing.

Dell website is a bit confusing :p hidden documents and pages, URL hacking works etc probably just bad webdev lol

I'm getting pissed with my U2410 green pink tint issues, I don't know if its getting worse or if I'm more aware of it, I'm not enjoying it and so I am going to demand a new one without any problems! After the money I have payed I think I have the right to receive a non defective monitor.

Has anyone ordered from Overclockers.co.uk and asked for a replacement? How do they process the RMA? They send a new monitor or do we have to send the problematic and then they send you another? Being outside UK do I have to pay anything for the shipping? Or is it better to start dealing with Dell in my country directly? I don't know if they'll accept it though, has the monitor was bought outside...

I don't know if they'll accept it though, has the monitor was bought outside...

It shouldnt matter if you bought it from someone else. The monitor still has a 3 year warranty no matter where you got it from. All you would need is a proof of purchase and I think you may need to fill out a form. Let me try to find it. But other than that, it should be all good and dandy.

Anyone know if you can get a extended warranty on the monitors? I purchased it through dell's ebay storefront and it obviously didnt have an option to get a 5 year warranty. Looking to extend the warranty of the monitor.

Anyone know if you can get a extended warranty on the monitors? I purchased it through dell's ebay storefront and it obviously didnt have an option to get a 5 year warranty. Looking to extend the warranty of the monitor.

I would lean towards no on this - the ebay storefront mentions specifically that the systems/items offered there are pre-configured and you can't tweak them. The extended warranty is one of the options you can choose for the configuration if you go through dell.com. With the bing cashback you can get using eBay though (which can amount to like $75) I think it's OK to just have 3 year.

Keith Wenzel

([email protected])

Thanks very much for this tip. I emailed Keith last night and received an email from another sales rep this morning. They quoted $480 with free shipping and standard 3 yr warranty as the lowest they could go. Tax was additional (I pushed back a bit to no avail), so it came to about $513. That's more than if i'd bought it through Dell's ebay store deal the other day, but I wanted the best odds of getting the latest firmware. My monitor is scheduled to ship in 3 days, for delivery 3 days after that.

A few other details, in case it helps anyone teetering on a decision...

The Dell rep said that all monitors are shipping with the latest firmware, but there's no way to tell from looking at the monitor if it's A00 or A01 (although i read somewhere else maybe on another board to look for a little red tag with the number). She suggested calling tech support with the serial number once the monitor is in-hand and they could probably tell me over the phone. The return window is 30 days from the ship date, including Xmas, even though they're closed. If within that window, we're unhappy with the monitor and want to return it for a refund, or send it back for a firmware upgrade, call them and they pick up the cost of shipping it there and back. After 30 days, it may incur a 15% restocking fee, etc.

I'm actually the person mentioned upthread that posted my chat log with some Dell sales reps last week on the Dell support boards, so i've already had an instance where Dell gave me incorrect information. Hopefully all of the details i just posted are correct. I'll report back on how things turn out once the monitor is set up.

Now...does anyone know what specifically i need to buy in order to connect this monitor to a mac? I chatted with someone at monoprice.com, but he told me the specific things i need to buy depend on whether the U2410 comes with a VGA cable.

We still have had no one confirm that an A01 label actually exists. Dell says so, but so far no one has received an A01 monitor....

Thanks very much for this tip. I emailed Keith last night and received an email from another sales rep this morning. They quoted $480 with free shipping and standard 3 yr warranty as the lowest they could go. Tax was additional (I pushed back a bit to no avail), so it came to about $513. That's more than if i'd bought it through Dell's ebay store deal the other day, but I wanted the best odds of getting the latest firmware. My monitor is scheduled to ship in 3 days, for delivery 3 days after that.

A few other details, in case it helps anyone teetering on a decision...

The Dell rep said that all monitors are shipping with the latest firmware, but there's no way to tell from looking at the monitor if it's A00 or A01 (although i read somewhere else maybe on another board to look for a little red tag with the number). She suggested calling tech support with the serial number once the monitor is in-hand and they could probably tell me over the phone. The return window is 30 days from the ship date, including Xmas, even though they're closed. If within that window, we're unhappy with the monitor and want to return it for a refund, or send it back for a firmware upgrade, call them and they pick up the cost of shipping it there and back. After 30 days, it may incur a 15% restocking fee, etc.

I'm actually the person mentioned upthread that posted my chat log with some Dell sales reps last week on the Dell support boards, so i've already had an instance where Dell gave me incorrect information. Hopefully all of the details i just posted are correct. I'll report back on how things turn out once the monitor is set up.

Now...does anyone know what specifically i need to buy in order to connect this monitor to a mac? I chatted with someone at monoprice.com, but he told me the specific things i need to buy depend on whether the U2410 comes with a VGA cable.

Good to hear you got a decent deal. Please be sure to come back to this thread and post your results when you receive the monitor, especially regarding the revision number, the dithering issue, and any tinting issues. The more data points the better =)

Regarding the Mac connectivity, depends on what you want to connect. Something like a Macbook Air you might need a mini-Displayport to normal-size Displayport connector, or mini-Displayport to DVI (U2410 can accept either). Other larger Macs might just have a regular DVI connector on it in which case a DVI-to-DVI cable would be fine.

I'd see if you can find the exact box contents of the U2410 somewhere online and see if any of the included cables will fit your purpose. If not, check out monoprice.com until you find a cable where one end fits in your Mac and one end fits in your U2410 lol :p

Yes U2410 comes with one VGA cable.

Is there any IPS monitor better than U2410 at 26 or 27" and higher resolution that doesn't suffer any of this ridiculous problems? I'll make the trade right now.

I ordered a mini-displayport to displayport from monocable.com. Works just fine. Of course it depends on what you're connecting. I was connecting a 5970 with mini dp out to a monitor with regular displayport input. As far as I know the U2410 has a native displayport in. So you can get a displayport cable for it if you're connecting a mac. depending on what mac you have, you might need the mini dp to regular dp cable though.

It shouldnt matter if you bought it from someone else. The monitor still has a 3 year warranty no matter where you got it from. All you would need is a proof of purchase and I think you may need to fill out a form. Let me try to find it. But other than that, it should be all good and dandy.

I hope you are right because tuga (Portuguese) sellers are very nasty and don't care about warranty or whatever they just want to sell you another product.

Another picture, this is from a black screen. Probably the backlight bleeding has something to do with the tinting, because this areas match one with the other?
The blue on the left is more like green and the top has a blue tone indeed.

U2410.jpg

That's not exactly true. In Portugal, there's no warranty for 2nd hand products. Also, for items bought outside the border, some manufactures refuse to provide warranty, so that's something you have to arrange with the store you bought the screen from.

Bacano, try and call Dell Portugal. I don't think they've started selling to the general public yet, but they're your best bet. If that fails, you'll most likely have to pay carriage back to the UK yourself and sort it with overclockers.co.uk.

I stand corrected. Some places outside the US, the warranty does not apply. Just contact dell, give them your service tag and see what they say. Sucks that people outside the US have to do this.

I stand corrected. Some places outside the US, the warranty does not apply. Just contact dell, give them your service tag and see what they say. Sucks that people outside the US have to do this.
Yeah. As far as tech support is concerned, you've got a pretty sweet deal in the US.

Mine just shipped today from Nashville,Tennessee. It will be here at the end of this week.

Is there anything on the box that hints to an A01 revision?

WHAT'S IN THE BOX

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch Widescreen Display
Monitor with stand
Power Cable
DVI cable
DisplayPort(DP) Cable
VGA Cable (attached to the monitor)

Drivers and Documentation media
Quick Setup Guide
Safety Information
Color Calibrated Factory Report

Damn, I get my U2410 today!!!!! :D:D I cant wait. Pictures will follow to see if it is an A01. If not, I'm going to try to find something wrong with so I can get a replacement which will hopefully led me to atleast a monitor with the fixed firmware or A01.

Just ordered one of these from dell on ebay.. buy it now for $499, $519 with hawaii taxes, free shipping. I did the bing 8% cashback which was $39 so I ended up paying $480
I hope it's an a01! this will be my first "high end" monitor. I have a westinghouse 24" mva panel but I really want a monitor that pivots to read comics on it. Also it's goin g to be cool to have dual monitors
edit:
so the dell rep quoted earlier in the thread said he thought it was possible the dell ebay store may have older stock that doesn't have the newest firmware... but I found this in my order confirmation
Dell Clearance Store sells only new products that are built upon your order.
We have a quality assurance process in place that allows us to build, test
and package properly prior to shipping your order. As such, processing and
shipping time is usually between 6-21 Business Days. PLEASE see your individual
listing for your specific delivery expectations!

so that may bode well for people who buy from their ebay store

Last edited:
My U2410s came yesterday (ordered about a week ago).

A00.

Regardless, this is a flawless monitor and I'm very happy with my purchase. I tried as hard as I can to find the "tinting".. but it's not there!

Is there a way to check the firmware version (A00, A01, etc) via the OSD or only via the printed label?

@dahorn - printed label.

Dell has confirmed that flashed monitors will be labelled A01.

I received my exchange monitor from Dell Canada yesterday, in order to get the new firmware. Lol, it was a refurb, it wasn't flashed with the firmware update and it had brutally noticeable green and pink tints! I mean really noticeable. I think I know what others are complaining about now. My monitor is a pure virgin white in comparison.

I will try another exchange in a couple of weeks to give them time to flash all the monitors, but I'm going to be cautious. There is NO WAY I would have accepted the refurb monitor I received. Must have been from the bottom of the pack. Honestly, the white screen from Google looked like the monitor had shipped from Chernobyl.

I may be wrong but will they actually flash older monitors with the new firmware or just limit it to new monitors?

Back