Dell U2410

Ok, so I bought the Spyder 3 Pro and I calibrated my monitor. It made a significant difference. So much so that I would almost say that if you invest in a monitor of this quality, you should also buy a calibration tool.

Perhaps I should start a new thread detailing my findings? Up to you guys...lemme know.

I think I am back to loving this monitor...:D

How did you calibrate it exactly? Did you have to use one of the custom modes or were you able to overwrite the settings in the sRGB preset? Also, did you calibrate to sRGB or some other color space? I was curious to know how close this monitor could get to sRGB color space because it sounds like the sRGB preset is pretty crappy.

Thanks.

I was curious to know how close this monitor could get to sRGB color space because it sounds like the sRGB preset is pretty crappy.
Just for safety: You don't calibrate to a color space. A calibration/ profilation doesn't alter the native color space towards your desired working color space (apart from color space emulations found in very few high-end displays). The profile "describes" the display colorimetrically and a CMM (=> you need color-aware software like Photoshop) can then accomplish the appropriate transformations. If the profile is accurate and the display covers the source color space this transformation will be absolutely sufficient.

Best regards

Denis

How did you calibrate it exactly? Did you have to use one of the custom modes or were you able to overwrite the settings in the sRGB preset? Also, did you calibrate to sRGB or some other color space? I was curious to know how close this monitor could get to sRGB color space because it sounds like the sRGB preset is pretty crappy.

Thanks.

You can calibrate the monitor in any of the preset modes. The calibration will then be produced for that mode. You can do multiple profiles for different modes if you wish, and label them accordingly.

I did a calibration for the sRGB preset, and that is the one I am currently using. I made a detailed post on the U2410 calibration thread in this forum if you want more info.

The calibration of the sRGB preset didn't alter the display as much as with the Standard preset. The look of the Standard preset really changed drastically after calibration. With the sRGB preset, the colors didn't change as much, the overall contrast and black levels were improved with calibration.

If you are picky about how your screen looks/accurate colors, I would definitely recommend a calibration tool and software, it is a worthwhile investment.

...I made a detailed post on the U2410 calibration thread in this forum if you want more info....

Thanks, Betaboy. Very informative post.... it's just what I was looking for. By the way, I heard the U2410 has internal LUTs. Is this true? If so, wouldn't the colorimeter calibrate the monitor's LUTs instead of the video card's? I could be completely wrong about this, but I thought that's how high end displays (with internal LUTs) were calibrated.

...If you are picky about how your screen looks/accurate colors, I would definitely recommend a calibration tool and software, it is a worthwhile investment.

Yes, I actually ordered the x-rite i1d2 the other day from B&H.... should be here next wednesday. I figured I'd try calibrating my existing monitors first... see where that left me, and then get the U2410 if the results weren't good enough. I figure either way, it's good to have the colorimeter. :D

Just for safety: You don't calibrate to a color space. A calibration/ profilation doesn't alter the native color space towards your desired working color space (apart from color space emulations found in very few high-end displays). The profile "describes" the display colorimetrically and a CMM (=> you need color-aware software like Photoshop) can then accomplish the appropriate transformations. If the profile is accurate and the display covers the source color space this transformation will be absolutely sufficient.

I see... hmm. Still new to all of this. So is there a way to verify how well a display covers or is capable of covering a particular color space? I've seen charts on sites like tftcentral that show the boundary of a display's color gamut versus the boundary of a specific color space. For example... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/speccontent.htm#wccfl I always assumed the software that comes bundled with a colorimeter generated those charts. i don't own one (yet), so i don't know.

Well, got my U2410 yesterday and I believe I may have completely dodged the bullet. A00, Mexico, October 2009.

I'm seeing no sign of even minor pink/green tint. Definitely no dead/stuck pixels. No power issues. No button issues. No weird humming sounds. Dithering is of course present. Backlight bleed seems consistent across the panel (to my eye). Anti-glare is grainy but I can live with it even after using a 24" Glossy TN for two years (HP w2408h). I can also say that over the 2408h I can notice a significant difference in gamut and viewable radius, but that's to be expected coming from TN. The U2410 didn't knock my socks off (the w2408h was a Samsung TN, so it was fairly high grade... and it was calibrated) but I suspect that after properly calibrating the U2410, it'll thoroughly exceed the w2408h, since out of the box it can easily compete.

It'd be really awesome if someone with a good colorimeter could post their ICC and the monitor specific settings. I know it's machine specific... but I feel like until I can get a proper colorimeter, it'd be closer than factory and definitely closer than eyeballing it.

A bit off-topic... but does anyone have experience with the Colormunki Designer for calibrating wide-gamut monitors like this one? I'd love to get one of those since I also have an Epson R1900 pigment printer and it'd be awesome to have them closely matched.

anyone know of a coupon code to use with this monitor? I noticed it went on sale for $499, would like to get it cheaper if possible.thanks

anyone know of a coupon code to use with this monitor? I noticed it went on sale for $499, would like to get it cheaper if possible.thanks

You guys in the US are spoiled! ;) I'm in Canada and it rarely goes on sale, and not usually below $500.

You guys in the US are spoiled! ;) I'm in Canada and it rarely goes on sale, and not usually below $500.

Hey Betaboy, I didn't know you were in Canada. I've heard you were successful in going back to loving your U2410 after you bought the Spyder 3 calibrator. Did you have a non-uniform tinting problem? I have a very slightly greenish-pinkish tinting issue with the pinkish region located in the top-right corner, but for the most part, it is overall slightly greenish (when compared side by side to my other uniform tint-free U2410.)

Would you advise me how to fix this issue if I bought a calibrator?

Last edited:
Hey Betaboy, I didn't know you were in Canada. I've heard you were successful in going back to loving your U2410 after you bought the Spyder 3 calibrator. Did you have a non-uniform tinting problem? I have a very slightly greenish-pinkish tinting issue with the pinkish region located in the top-right corner, but for the most part, it is overall slightly greenish (when compared side by side to my other uniform tint-free U2410.)

Would you advise me how to fix this issue if I bought a calibrator?

My pink tint was only in the Standard preset mode and it was a uniform tint across the screen. If you have uneven tinting across the screen, that may represent a different issue and I'm not sure if calibration would help.

The word from Dell is that they are not addressing the pink/green tint issue and that all monitors are within spec from the factory. This is why I was wondering if calibration could help solve many of the tint issues some people seem to be having, or at least alleviate the problem so it is not as noticeable.

Here it's 550€ which is 800$ so STFU everyone!!!!!!!!
It's $950 where I live, can anyone top that? ;)

What could actually be causing this uneven tinting issue? Is it simply a panel defect or it is Dell who is at fault? I could live with some of the issues being mentioned but I wouldn't really expect to see pinkish-greenish tinting on cheap TN panels, let alone on a "premium" monitor like this one.

It's $950 where I live, can anyone top that?
It costs €664 here, that's about $987.

If it were half the price, I would have bought it. But since my old TFT is failing now, I'm inclined to prefer the NEC EA231wmi.

It costs €664 here, that's about $987.

If it were half the price, I would have bought it. But since my old TFT is failing now, I'm inclined to prefer the NEC EA231wmi.
I'm in the same boat. Some vertical shadow has appeared on my old 19" Samsung and I'm looking to upgrade but those 23" LCDs are even shorter than my screen and only really offer more horizontal space which I don't find all that useful. It doesn't sound much, but when you compare them side to side with a 24" 1920x1200 screen, the 24" is so much larger. Shame that unless you spend a fortune on a top quality NEC, all those screens are riddled with problems.

From tech bargains:
Dell Home Coupon $20 off $225+ w/ Coupon Code: BQ?GSVLT3DNGVC Jan 02, 2010

It's letting me apply the code, just note that the original discount seems to be overwritten and being calculated as $579 instead of $479. Anyone else seeing that?

So now that is on sale, should I pull the trigger? I currently have the 2007wfp and I've been satisfied for years, but really want an upgrade.

Is the red / pink or green tint issue on every monitor ? Is really bad ? I think this monitor is a good one,but i'm affraid to buy it,because of the tint issue i read.
Some owners reported that they haven't this tint. Is very hard to take the decision.

If you are wondering about whether to buy, I'd wait until Dell releases the new revision (A01) with the updated firmware to fix the dithering in RGB modes. At that point, it should be a much more promising purchase.

If you are wondering about whether to buy, I'd wait until Dell releases the new revision (A01) with the updated firmware to fix the dithering in RGB modes. At that point, it should be a much more promising purchase.

I wish they'd hurry up, my money is waiting.

Well hello all. Got these questions regardin some problems with my second U2410.

The first one I got (rev. A00) was perfect. Until I got a stuck red pixel a couple of days ago. Dell promptly delivered me a new screen (also A00), no stuck pixels here so far.

Buuut... The card reader doesn't seem to work with SD cards! I'm on a Mac here (Leopard), but that shouldn't be a problem because the previous screen took both my SD and SD HC cards without complaints. Now I just get the annoying message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". When I insert an MMC card, it appears on my desktop just like it should. What could be the cause of this? I've tested it with two different cards (SD 2 Gt, and SD HC 4 Gt), no luck with either of them.

Other annoyances: there's a refurb feeling to the whole screen. When I flipped it over to mount the stand, it gave a 'clunk' sound as if something big was slightly loose inside the casing (the screen itself?). The previous screen didn't, it just felt sturdy and solid. Also, there's a small dent on the left side of the frame. And the standby mode is rather erratic — often the screen is just flicking on and back to standby when it's trying to enter standby mode. Didn't have these problems with the previous screen either.

Still, my biggest peeve is the non-working card reader. Any suggestions for a solution, or should I just make another call to Dell and hope the third time's a charm?

The $100USD off at the US dell site just ended yesterday. So if anyone finds a new coupon that brings it back to $500 or below that'd be awesome!

@monte-cristo

Card reader works fine on mine with SD cards... no advices to help on this :/ Your unit definitely seems to be refurbished, you might want to call Dell and request an exchange if you are still covered by the 21 (or 30?) days after purchase. They're being jerks with their clients so make sure you are satisfied with your product.

I just got my u2410 today ("upgrading" from a 2407wfp-hc, which was having problems).

I have a question which I hope someone can answer, as I'm thinking of returning.

Everything about the monitor is good, except one issue I'm finding unbearable (and doesn't exist on the 2407wfp or 2408wfp). I've heard about the known issue of dithering in the RGB preset modes, but not sure if this is the same.

I'm using the standard mode and seeing these little "fuzzies" everywhere on the screen. For example, particularly when looking a white background, it isn't pure -- but instead there's just "stuff" all throughout it. Same goes for any solid color.

Is this a common problem? Are all the u2410 like this? (as mentioned, I'm not using RGB and my 2407wfp & 2408wfp don't have this).

Thanks for any answers.

I just got my u2410 today ("upgrading" from a 2407wfp-hc, which was having problems).

I have a question which I hope someone can answer, as I'm thinking of returning.

Everything about the monitor is good, except one issue I'm finding unbearable (and doesn't exist on the 2407wfp or 2408wfp). I've heard about the known issue of dithering in the RGB preset modes, but not sure if this is the same.

I'm using the standard mode and seeing these little "fuzzies" everywhere on the screen. For example, particularly when looking a white background, it isn't pure -- but instead there's just "stuff" all throughout it. Same goes for any solid color.

Is this a common problem? Are all these u2410 like this? (as mentioned, I'm not using RGB and my 2407wfp & 2408wfp don't have this).

Thanks for any answers.

Probably the anti-glare coating. It seems to be more prominent on this monitor than others.

Canadians - the U2410 is on sale through Dell Small Business for $498 right now, until Nov. 26/09 I believe. Firmware still not updated, however.

Hello Guys i'm new to the forum :)! I'm interested grabbing one of these but ive been reading about this "graining issue" the A00 rev has, can someone care to explain me what this issue actually is? how can my display can be affected by this (lets say while playing on my PS3)? Don't go hard on me please i'm kinda new to this field (displays) looking forward to learn!

Probably the anti-glare coating. It seems to be more prominent on this monitor than others.

I thought about this, however, I have the 2408wfp and u2410 side by side and when they're off, they screens looks the exact same in terms of matte/glare, etc.

Does anyone else see these "fuzzies" everywhere when viewing solid colors (most noticeable on white)?? It just sorts of lacks purity and smoothness that the 2407/2408 have.

Called Dell, and they offered to ship me a new display again without me even asking for it specifically. Nice. Now let's hope this one is as good as the first one was, sans the stuck pixel.

I thought about this, however, I have the 2408wfp and u2410 side by side and when they're off, they screens looks the exact same in terms of matte/glare, etc.

Does anyone else see these "fuzzies" everywhere when viewing solid colors (most noticeable on white)?? It just sorts of lacks purity and smoothness that the 2407/2408 have.
"fuzzies", hmm, that's a new one on me. I'll have to add it to my list of synonyms:
sparkle, sparklies, glitter, speckle, powder, crystalline effect, crystal effect, crystal dust, shimmer, micro-luster, fine rainbow dust, dust all over the screen, fine chroma noise, graininess, dirty white, fuzzies

And that issue is the reason I started this thread. It's the matte anti-glare coating, which seems to have an especially nasty effect on many IPS LCDs.

I've tested this monitor for a week (so that I could write a review -- in Hungarian language, so probably out of interest for you). I've also noticed the dithering in Adobe and sRGB modes, but it wasn't as much annoying.

But I think the more concerning is the fact that the "Standard" mode is factory-calibrated with a gamma value of about 1.7 (making the display too bright and pale), instead of the 2.2, which it should be instead, because it is indeed the standard... I hope they will calibrate to 2.2 the "next time" (upcoming revision)... (The other modes are at the right 2.2 gamma.)

Has anyone previously had the Ultrasharp 2709W and compared it with the U2410?

Both are the same Resolution and torn b/w either one.

The $100USD off at the US dell site just ended yesterday. So if anyone finds a new coupon that brings it back to $500 or below that'd be awesome!

You can still get it on Dell's eBay store for $499.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"fuzzies", hmm, that's a new one on me. I'll have to add it to my list of synonyms:
sparkle, sparklies, glitter, speckle, powder, crystalline effect, crystal effect, crystal dust, shimmer, micro-luster, fine rainbow dust, dust all over the screen, fine chroma noise, graininess, dirty white, fuzzies

And that issue is the reason I started this thread. It's the matte anti-glare coating, which seems to have an especially nasty effect on many IPS LCDs.

Ooh, it seems that is the culprit afterall. I'm not sure why this "fuzzies" problems doesn't bother people more. I've been comparing my 2407wfp-hc, 2408wfp, and u2410 side by side for the past 2 days.
I can honestly say I like the 2407wfp/2408wfp better!!
Obviously, the viewing angle is much better on the u2410, but to me it's an equal trade off to the matte/fuzzies problem. Other than that (after spyder calibration), I find the colors, text clarity, etc to be about equal. (Actually, I find the blacks better on the 2408wfp).
My decision is almost made to just get another 2408!

edit: by the way, great thread - just read through it. It's definitely the problem that's bothering me (IPS matte). It seems it probably also contributes to the lesser black levels I'm finding with the u2410.

Last edited:
Can I call Dell and return/exchange the monitor from them directly still or is this a question for Dell?

It says on the listing you get the 3yrs warranty with advanced exchange service. Also you can use it with Bing 8% cashback for eBay, though you might want to wait and see if the cashback increases any for Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Back