Dell U2410

For what it's worth, mine was made in July 2009, and was Assembled in Mexico, and I don't have any tint issues whatsoever. I'm extremely satisfied with my monitor.

Yea, I posted on the previous page that mine is also made in June 2009 in Mexico, shipped from TN, and it says it's version A01. I have no issues with the monitor.

At first, it took some getting used to from my Soyo Topaz S because I had been using my old monitor with the brightness and contrast really high. Also, the U2410 has a cooler color temperature than the Soyo. However, I think the Dell has the more accurate colors.

I have mine set in Standard mode. The saturation was overwhelming, but I turned the contrast down to 45 and enabled EDID in the Catalyst control panel. The greens and reds look fine now. It's still a bit over saturated, but I think with EDID enabled, the Standard mode looks better than the preset sRGB mode.

This monitor is great, but I'm not so sure it was worth it for me coming from the Soyo monitor (P-MVA panel). But if anyone has a TN panel, I would highly recommend upgrading to the U2410.

guys just ordered this monitor and its finally coming tomorrow. Quick question is it important to use the win7 drivers from dell? Or is it best to use the default win7 drivers?

Yeah, that what I was thinking. The other thing that kind of supports that theory is what happened with my order. I ordered it a whole month before I actually got it. I ordered it in September and, the day it was supposed to ship, they delayed the order. They said they ran out of parts and had to go into production. It was further delayed like 6-8 more times until they finally shipped it to me a month later. Funny thing is that during that time, they didn't show it back-ordered. I read that other people here bought it and received it during that month. I wonder if they were trying to get rid of the problematic ones. Another detail of my order that I left out is that it was shipped out of Tennessee, if that matters. Of course, if someone else has one that's rev a00, assembled in mexico, and oct 2009 with a tint issue, the theory is obviously blown.

Indeed. Lament to inform you guys but I got two U2410, both are REV A00, Assembled in Mexico and "Date of Mfg" Oct 2009. Both arrived at the same time. One in a perfect box, the other in a somewhat ripped box on one side. (I even got the Styrofoam/polystyrene packaging broken inside.) That was the first one I opened and checked for obvious damage, but it seemed OK.

When I turned on both screens I only focused on dead pixel and basic stuff... Viewing angles, backlight bleeding, etc... It wasn't until a while that I perceived something funky in the monitor that came in the ripped box: It has the green-pink tinting issue. It's barely noticeable, but if you know how to look for it, you will find it. I bought them almost 1 month ago... I'm not sure if I should still make a case because of how it arrived... but now that I know this problem is somewhat pervasive, I don't think I would benefit too much from an exchange...

I'm completely satisfied with the other monitor. (I only had this problem once of the touch-sensor buttons not responding, but it turned out to be a power cable issue... strange LOL)

guys just ordered this monitor and its finally coming tomorrow. Quick question is it important to use the win7 drivers from dell? Or is it best to use the default win7 drivers?

LOL... :p I'm also using Windows 7 and I didn't even bother to look for specific drivers from Dell... I think the companion CD doesn't even include any driver software... only manuals and stuff...

I'm looking for an 24" lcd monitor,too.
There is about 2-3 monitors which i'd like.
1 - Dell U2410
2- HP2475w
3- Samsung 245T.
How is Dell U2410 ? Colors ? Picture image ? Is it worth to upgrade from TN to IPS ?
What about the comparison between HP2475w and Dell U2410 ?
Please help me to take a decision. I really need a new monitor. IPS or TN.
Thanks a lot.

1 - Dell U2410
2- HP2475w
3- Samsung 245T.
How is Dell U2410 ? Colors ? Picture image ? Is it worth to upgrade from TN to IPS ?
Thanks a lot.

Good luck getting an answer to your question. I have asked a similar question many times and no answer. I could care less about photography work. All I want the thing for is watching my bluray movies and playing my video games. Most of the people here just seem worried about color tint. Do people look good in movies and does the internet look great to surf are my concerns? I don't ever plan on calibrating a monitor. I just eye it to my liking and enjoy.

1 - Dell U2410
2- HP2475w
3- Samsung 245T.
Thanks a lot.

I couldn't find the Samsung 245T. I has been discontinued and the dealers around here are all out of stock. There should be new models coming any time now. I would wait to see what is available and at what price points.

Dell also has a new 16:9 27" IPS panel coming. I think it is similiar in rez. to the new 27" iMacs. Will the other manufacturers follow-up with the same size and specs?

You should look at some TN monitors and see if the viewing angles bother you. If they don't, you can save a lot of money going this route. You may want to note that 16:10 size monitor has quite some height and a TN viewing angles may bother you.

Samsung has a new 23" cPVA 16:9 monitor that is currently quite a bit cheaper than IPS and SPVA. You may want to check that out. It has good viewing angles.

When I had the U2410, I was expecting the worse for colour because of the extended gamut. This was probably the least of the problems for me. The tint, grainy and unclear look of the coating, and the lower than expected viewing angles were my disappointments.

Don't underestimate the tint problem. If it is bad enough, even viewing web pages is annoying.

I couldn't find the Samsung 245T. I has been discontinued and the dealers around here are all out of stock. There should be new models coming any time now. I would wait to see what is available and at what price points.

Dell also has a new 16:9 27" IPS panel coming. I think it is similiar in rez. to the new 27" iMacs. Will the other manufacturers follow-up with the same size and specs?

You should look at some TN monitors and see if the viewing angles bother you. If they don't, you can save a lot of money going this route. You may want to note that 16:10 size monitor has quite some height and a TN viewing angles may bother you.

Samsung has a new 23" cPVA 16:9 monitor that is currently quite a bit cheaper than IPS and SPVA. You may want to check that out. It has good viewing angles.

When I had the U2410, I was expecting the worse for colour because of the extended gamut. This was probably the least of the problems for me. The tint, grainy and unclear look of the coating, and the lower than expected viewing angles were my disappointments.

Don't underestimate the tint problem. If it is bad enough, even viewing web pages is annoying.
The viewing angles don't realy bother me. I'm sitting in the front of my monitor,alone :)
Yes,that's why i'm "scared" .. with Dell U2410 : the tint problem.
Same story with HP2475w,too. I don't know if i wanna have again,the TN panel.
Actually i could save some money,you right,but i used a few weeks ago,the Samsung T240HD. There was the same problem : bluish tint.
Do you know a 24" lcd monitor ( TN,too ) with no tint,darker black,and decent viewing angles ( 170 /170 ) ??
What do you think about the Samsung245T ? I read a lot of good reviews about this monitor. What about LG ? BENQ ? ASUS ? Or even HP's with TN panel ?
I don't wanna have 16:9 aspect ratio. Only 16:10
I'm thinking to go for 25" monitor, too , but i don't know about the ( fonts ) letters. Are they smaller than 24" ? I mean for web browsing ,windows explorer ..... ??

I was wondering if any of you have gotten some decent settings in Custom Color that resemble sRGB? Would be very nice if you could share them! Thanks

Roll the dice time! Placed my order for one of these today. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

lol~~~ wish you luck.. dell is going to send a technician to my place to check up the pink tint issue and flash the firmware somehow 2moro or wednesday~hope things goes well.:p

lol~~~ wish you luck.. dell is going to send a technician to my place to check up the pink tint issue and flash the firmware somehow 2moro or wednesday~hope things goes well.:p

Wow, how is sending a technician out cheaper for them than drop shipping a replacement?

Wow, how is sending a technician out cheaper for them than drop shipping a replacement?

They've been getting overwhelming feedback about this monitor and they are going out of their way to see the problem first-hand and get an accurate report.

They've been getting overwhelming feedback about this monitor and they are going out of their way to see the problem first-hand and get an accurate report.

I suppose that makes some sense. They should have plenty of first-hand experience with the problem at this point considering all the case-captures they did for making a presentation to LG of the issue. I spoke with a Dell tech-support individual who said he was very familiar with the issue. So I can't imagine that they aren't thoroughly aware of exactly what people are experiencing. Anyway, I'm sure they have their reasoning.

From what I've read so far, it seems many people are having issues with the factory preset sRGB mode.

If that built-in mode is so problematic, is it possible to switch to custom mode and calibrate it to sRGB using a colorimeter?

From what I've read so far, it seems many people are having issues with the factory preset sRGB mode.

If that built-in mode is so problematic, is it possible to switch to custom mode and calibrate it to sRGB using a colorimeter?

That is what I am going to try and do with my U2410 today. Buying a Spyder 3. Probably a good investment for a higher end monitor anyway.

I am guessing that the monitor's issues may be software related and hence using a calibration tool and a software LUT loaded onto the video card may fix a lot of the issues.

High-end LCD users like photographers and print users often calibrate their monitors monthly, some even weekly.

The common wisdom here is to leave the monitor at the factory defaults and let the calibration software do the work via the video card.

Actually, that appeared to be the case at first. However this quickly changed, and Dell are now going out of their way in attempting to COMPLETELY IGNORE the tint issue, as can be seen by their official response here:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19302919.aspx

Buyer Beware - Dell think a screen of this price that's green on one side and pink on the other, easily visible on any webpages with white or grey backgrounds, is "within spec" and acceptable. My advice, based on this, has to be look elsewhere until they have a change of heart..

Yep, I'm currently wrestling with returning mine.

On one hand, I really like the colors and the IPS panel. However, the graininess (anti-glare coating), the dithering in RGB and the thought of submitting my perfect (no tint) monitor into a panel lottery for a firmware update is irking me.

Such huge potential for this monitor and it looks like Dell has blown it.

Not sure if I will keep it and try to get it flashed, or dump it now and wait for something better. Not many 24" IPS panels out there under $1000 though.

I would DEFINITELY advise AGAINST buying one until Rev A01 is released and we see some feedback about fixing the dithering issue.

I've seen some people mention they got a screen with an A01 revision on this thread. AFAIK there is currently NO A01 revision, and the A00 is still the only one available, just to clear things up. It's said the A01 firmware revision may reduce the Adobe/sRGB visible dither in dark colours "bug".

Also, unless your tint issues are very mild, there is no correcting for the issue as one side of the screen is in disagreement with the other, and this would require Dell adding controls which can adjust different areas of the screen independent of one another. My hope is that they add this, but it would be unlikely to happen until a completely new model is released. It also seems unlikely Dell will pay LG more for a better grade of panel which helps avoid the issue (which is something Apple appear to do).

However, if you have an overall tint which covers the whole screen (and is only one shade.. like too much red etc), and which is visible in the so-called calibrated modes, then you can correct for this in the U2410'a Factory Menu test mode, as seen here..

U2410FactoryMenu.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has no tint issues whatsoever.

Correct on the revision. Only A00 out at the moment. They are working on a firmware to fix the dithering. Who knows when it will be available.

Mine has -

- dithering in RGB modes (all U2410s have this)
- grainy text (anti-glare coating)

The other user modes don't have dithering but they are ridiculously set up. To get things right, I am going to purchase a Spyder3 to calibrate it, however I am now not even certain if I will keep this monitor.

If they could flash it for me and ensure I would get the same monitor, I would probably keep it and learn to live with the grainy text.

However...the thought of getting a monitor with tint issues and then negotiating who knows how many returns to get a good one simply sucks the life energy from me. :(

VERY annoying that Dell didn't catch this or fix it before release.

It's hard to imagine that all these negative reviews aren't hurting them. How many people who buy a monitor of this calibre and cost wouldn't do a quick Google review check before purchase?

If they could flash it for me and ensure I would get the same monitor, I would probably keep it and learn to live with the grainy text.
I had the same thought but, based on what Dell have said, I think it's very unlikely that they will offer to send you back the same screen that you sent them once it's flashed. That's a big problem, not least because the pool of "refurbished" monitors Dell will exchange from is likely to contain an even greater instance of screens with severe tint and/or dead/lit pixels, since the "average" user who's happy with their screen is unlikely to notice/care about the Adobe/sRGB bug, and so is unlikely to return the screen - leaving you with a refurbished monitor pool mostly containing everyone elses rejects.

It's retarded that they don't allow users to flash the screen themselves anyway, not least when the screen contains a memory card reader, so it could be as simple as placing the file on a memory card and having the screen read it. I had to go through 5 screens to get one that didn't either have dead pixels in the middle of the screen, lit pixels, or very obvious tint. Based on that I will be living with the A00 revision until if/when there's an actual hardware fault with the U2410. If I was buying again now I'd wait to see if these new 27" IPS screens are any better.

VERY annoying that Dell didn't catch this or fix it before release.
I hope, in future, they have a simple test site like lagom.nl bookmarked in their browser. I agree, it's pretty amazing that they didn't notice this sort of stuff before release.

I had the same thought but, based on what Dell have said, I think it's very unlikely that they will offer to send you back the same screen that you sent them once it's flashed. That's a big problem, not least because the pool of "refurbished" monitors Dell will exchange from is likely to contain an even greater instance of screens with severe tint and/or dead/lit pixels, since the "average" user who's happy with their screen is unlikely to notice/care about the Adobe/sRGB bug, and so is unlikely to return the screen - leaving you with a refurbished monitor pool mostly containing everyone elses rejects.

It's retarded that they don't allow users to flash the screen themselves anyway, not least when the screen contains a memory card reader, so it could be as simple as placing the file on a memory card and having the screen read it. I had to go through 5 screens to get one that didn't either have dead pixels in the middle of the screen, lit pixels, or very obvious tint. Based on that I will be living with the A00 revision until if/when there's an actual hardware fault with the U2410. If I was buying again now I'd wait to see if these new 27" IPS screens are any better.

I hope, in future, they have a simple test site like lagom.nl bookmarked in their browser. I agree, it's pretty amazing that they didn't notice this sort of stuff before release.

Fully agree, it's pathetic.

I may see if I can calibrate the Standard or Custom presets to within spec and then use those instead of RGB. However, the colors are VERY saturated in these modes. Almost comical in appearance.

I am reticent to send it in to be flashed for the exact reasons you have stated.

Shame on Dell, really.

dithering problem in srgb and argb will surely be fixed in next version firmware. And i had seen the flashing progress...its god damn easy...and can be done in 5 minute!! but still no solution for pink/green tint issue.

dithering problem in srgb and argb will surely be fixed in next version firmware. And i had seen the flashing progress...its god damn easy...and can be done in 5 minute!! but still no solution for pink/green tint issue.

I'm confused...did you get the new firmware and did it fix the dithering in sRGB/Adobe RGB?

Hmm...maybe I can convince Dell to send me the firmware so I can flash it myself. Might involve signing off on the warranty?

That is what I am going to try and do with my U2410 today. Buying a Spyder 3. Probably a good investment for a higher end monitor anyway.

I am guessing that the monitor's issues may be software related and hence using a calibration tool and a software LUT loaded onto the video card may fix a lot of the issues.

High-end LCD users like photographers and print users often calibrate their monitors monthly, some even weekly.

The common wisdom here is to leave the monitor at the factory defaults and let the calibration software do the work via the video card.

Yes, thank you. And please post back with the results! I'm hoping many of the complaints come from users who aren't using a colorimeter to calibrate their device -- although I can see how having non-uniform tinting across the panel could make calibration impossible. In any case, it's worth investigating.

By the way, I heard X-Rite's i1Display2 colorimeter is significantly better than the Spyder 3... not sure about the price difference though.

This really is a shame that Dell is being so round-about with this issue. Thankfully I am rather content with my U2410 despite it showing the tint issue but then again I came from a 2005FPW and will probably wait it out a few more months and see what Dell decides to do.

What exactly did the technician flash then, and what did it fix? I'm not so bothered about tint issues (uniform pink tint on while screen @ near max contrast) but the dithering is noticeable in some movies and games.

I'm confused...did you get the new firmware and did it fix the dithering in sRGB/Adobe RGB?

Hmm...maybe I can convince Dell to send me the firmware so I can flash it myself. Might involve signing off on the warranty?

Nope..i think that is totally impossible you request the firmware as it is not public yet. And i not sure they going to let user to flash this ourselves or not. You may wait for further announcement.

What exactly did the technician flash then, and what did it fix? I'm not so bothered about tint issues (uniform pink tint on while screen @ near max contrast) but the dithering is noticeable in some movies and games.

its a new firmware update, but i think its still under tested and not available for public (i peep on the doc and saw this word). And i just encounter some weird problem after the firmware, will tested it and let the technician know. So i think u guy better wait for further announcement. The dithering problem in srgb and argb is solved anyway.

@chyn41 - thanks for the update about the dithering issue being solved, glad they are addressing this. Yes, I was referring to the public release of the firmware, not now. I will wait until they release it and begin monitor exchanges. Then I will do my damnest to try and get the firmware from them and update myself. Long shot, but you don't know until you try.

If I was able to update the monitor I have (and not return for a lottery flashed one), I would be happy with this monitor I think. I hope. ;)

@chyn41 - thanks for the update about the dithering issue being solved, glad they are addressing this. Yes, I was referring to the public release of the firmware, not now. I will wait until they release it and begin monitor exchanges. Then I will do my damnest to try and get the firmware from them and update myself. Long shot, but you don't know until you try.

If I was able to update the monitor I have (and not return for a lottery flashed one), I would be happy with this monitor I think. I hope. ;)

Yeah, what are the actual chances this will even be possible??? I have two monitors, one with a slight but livable tinting issue and the other one perfect. I would hate to end up with 2 monitors without sRGB/ARGB dithering but with a tinting problem... I would even PAY for a Dell technician to come to my home and do it right here.

I just got mine. No tinting issues that I can see, but it does have dithering in sRGB. I'm using it mostly for regular use and gaming (i.e. no professional use), but I still want to get it as nice as possible. Is there a cheap/free way to calibrate it that you'd recommend? I went to http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php, and i'm not getting ideal results for white/black balance or gamma in any of the presets. 'gaming' seems to give the best results, but none of them are ideal. any help would be appreciated.

Yes, thank you. And please post back with the results! I'm hoping many of the complaints come from users who aren't using a colorimeter to calibrate their device -- although I can see how having non-uniform tinting across the panel could make calibration impossible. In any case, it's worth investigating.

By the way, I heard X-Rite's i1Display2 colorimeter is significantly better than the Spyder 3... not sure about the price difference though.

Ok, so I bought the Spyder 3 Pro and I calibrated my monitor. It made a significant difference. So much so that I would almost say that if you invest in a monitor of this quality, you should also buy a calibration tool.

Perhaps I should start a new thread detailing my findings? Up to you guys...lemme know.

I think I am back to loving this monitor...:D

Would there be any point in recommending others that have access to calibration tools to post their generated ICC profiles or are they something like video card + display specific? I know there have been a few before and one posted on TFT Central but not everyone has been having success in achieving better results.

Last edited:
Would there be any point in recommending others that have access to calibration tools to post their generated ICC profiles or are they something like video card + display specific?

Not sure if the posted profiles would help. I think they are specific to your hardware setup. The sensor attaches to the screen and it generates the profile based on the screen's performance. This is in turn affected by the video card.

Prior to purchasing the Spyder, I tried downloading the ICC profile from TFT and it didn't help at all really.

its a new firmware update, but i think its still under tested and not available for public (i peep on the doc and saw this word). And i just encounter some weird problem after the firmware, will tested it and let the technician know. So i think u guy better wait for further announcement. The dithering problem in srgb and argb is solved anyway.
Nice to know, that means I can get a Dell techie to flash it at my place too? Hmm...

At least there's a singular advantage to being an enthusiast in Malaysia compared to the US.

Back