Dell U2410

I received my U2410 this morning.

I come from a Samsung 226bw. My computer usage is all-around, including lots of surfing, watching movies and tv shows, playing games from time to time, watch and edit my private pictures. I am not a professional image/video editor, so I am not too picky on the very small details, but I do appreciate a solid screen with good colors.

It is still light outside, so I cannot comment on the white glow on the edges more than that I do not notice any white glow when I have a dark/black background. I will look closer tonight.

I still have testing to do.I havn't tried any games yet. Right now I am using the Standard preset setting. I like how the colors are displayed in this setting, very rich but still natural.

So far I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I am enjoying this screen very much!

Received my U2410 yesterday. Ordered it last Saturday using the Dell 20% coupon. Overall it's a pretty descent LCD. There really is only one thing I have to complain about that I'll mention first and that's the fact that the stand doesn't rotate counter clockwise enough for the monitor to be horizontal. Very annoying. I could tell just by looking at the stand before even mounting it that it was not correct. I'm not sure how that could escape any testing as it's obvious, not sure if it's a design flaw or bad assembly but I'm going to take a look at it and hope there is some room for adjustment or I'll call Dell to replace it.

The lcd itself is actually more impressive in person than it was in the pictures, the build quality seems very good. It's a well designed unit and seems sturdy minus the above issue. Has a very nice and quick mechanism to mount the screen to the stand. The usb and other options on the unit are great though having some on the far right side of the monitor would have been nice too for wireless mouses. I very much like the monitor adjustments on the unit as it's very easy to use and has a lot of features. I use Ubuntu Linux so did not want a software version as with my previous Samsung which had no adjustments on the lcd itself.

With the screen itself I've seen the posts regarding the graininess. I'm not sure if that is common with IPS screens but as long as you sit at least 20 inches or so from the monitor you don't really notice it. I have to do that anyways just so you see the pixels merge, if your too close you see the space between the pixels. I'd describe the graniness like having a thin layer of very fine grained sand painted onto the screen. You can see some variance but it's very minimal and even in it's effect across the whole screen.

This lcd is replacing a Samsung 173P 17" IPS panel. I had the graininess on that also but it wasn't much of a problem, that was a well reviewed screen 5 or 6 years ago. I'll take an IPS over a TN screen anytime. I was waiting for Samsung to come out with an IPS screen but seems they only make non IPS screens now. The is my first Dell LCD.

The colors on the U2410 are very nice. They are very even across the whole screen and are much more vibrant than the older Samsung. Not a dead pixel that I've been able to detect anywhere not that I'm going to go out of my way to find any. There is some very slight bleeding of light in all 4 corners and a little heavier in the lower left similar to some pics posted earlier in this thread but I can only see that in a totally dark room with all black on the screen. I don't notice anything in normal use even when playing a DVD with the black edges or when the screen is totally black in a lightly lit room. A very uniform screen overall. I don't see the pinkish/green at all mentioned in earlier posts either. Text is very clear and crisp. It puts out a lot of light so I keep the screen between 35 and 50 on the brightness.

After using a 17" for six years the extra 7" almost doubles the viewing area and it's so nice to have two applications open at once. It really is a whole different world with the larger screen size and wider aspect ration. I thought this would be too small compared to a 26" but it's just about the perfect size.

So just hope I can fix the stand or have Dell replace it. As I sure don't want to send back a perfectly good lcd for just the stand. I'd give the U2410 9 out of 10 only for the stand not being horizontal. It's a very worthy replacement for my Samsung and am pretty happy so far. :)

http://c0248432.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/0920090539a.jpg

I added a pic of the U2410 while in X-Plane 9 with a 737 panel. This is while in the adobe RGB mode. It was taken with a cell phone and a room with some flourescent lighting. The pics don't due the screen justice but thought I would give it a try.

An update also regarding the grainy issue. It is there a little more than I would like for a screen selling for so much. I really only notice it really with moving white areas such as the clouds in X-Plane. So for some it might be a major issue and for others they will be able to live with it. For me the pluses still outweigh the negatives buy a good margin.

Also with the lcd not being totally horizontal issue....have lightly tugged on the unit and that seems to have given it some play so it's almost horizontal and not much of an annoynace as it was.

So looks like I will be keeping it.

Well I'm not sure what happened but I am only seeing maybe a 1/3 of the graininess that I saw before and it's easily tolerable. I believe something related to X-Plane or the Nvidia drivers were making things look worse than they actually were as I've been having issues with the graphics modes and such acting pretty strangely since a recent upgrade to X-Plane.

Waited over 20 years for a near perfect flight simulator and now I finally have it !!! :D

That makes it a near perfect 10 now, this is one very nice LCD screen. I still can't get over the uniformity of colors across the whole thing and how deep they look.

Nice job Dell and LG !!!

I still have testing to do.I havn't tried any games yet. Right now I am using the Standard preset setting. I like how the colors are displayed in this setting, very rich but still natural.

Rofl... standard preset have very oversaturated colors. They are not rich, just way out of the sRGB gamut.

I guess you are right, Frameless.

I come from a 22" TN panel. Maybe I am used to oversaturated colours? Anywho, I am using the sRGB setting now. It sure is a little dull, and not as exciting to look at as the standard, but I guess the colours look better(more accurate) now.

I'm using the sRGB color preset, and I've noticed that if I set the Brightness too low (around 25), the whites look bluish. The higher I turn up the Brightness, the whiter the whites get. However, by turning it up, I start to burn out my retinas. I'm compromising at Brightness 50 right now, but it seems a little bright.

Is this typical behavior for an LCD, or maybe there is something wrong with mine?

I come from a 22" TN panel. Maybe I am used to oversaturated colours? Anywho, I am using the sRGB setting now. It sure is a little dull, and not as exciting to look at as the standard, but I guess the colours look better(more accurate) now.

Turn up digital vibrance in the graphics control panel. That will make the colors livelier without fucking them up to much. In my opinion, all other presets than sRGB looks like crap and unnatural.

Also about the static dithering mentioned earlier in the thread; i notice it too... It's depressing and actually really noticeable playing Resident evil 5. First i thought it was part of the grainy coating, but it is actually the sRGB preset that makes the static dithering in black shades. You don't see it at complete black, but on all the lighter shades. Let's hope a firmware update will fix this.

It sounds like you're not doing anything that requires real color accuracy. By all means, it's your monitor. So if you prefer to view the wide gamut colors as your norm for movies/games because it is your personal preference, go for it. It's there for entertainment value anyway.

If the actual accuracy was that important to your own eyes, you would have noticed it before. There's a reason that TN panels are the majority of sales and that's that most people's eyes don't really care that much and TNs cost a lot less. But trained eyes who notice more subtle things, those are the people that end up spending more.

Eh all along Samsung doesn't produce IPS panels, only PVA panels. :cool:

Received my U2410 yesterday. Ordered it last Saturday using the Dell 20% coupon. Overall it's a pretty descent LCD. There really is only one thing I have to complain about that I'll mention first and that's the fact that the stand doesn't rotate counter clockwise enough for the monitor to be horizontal. Very annoying. I could tell just by looking at the stand before even mounting it that it was not correct. I'm not sure how that could escape any testing as it's obvious, not sure if it's a design flaw or bad assembly but I'm going to take a look at it and hope there is some room for adjustment or I'll call Dell to replace it.

The lcd itself is actually more impressive in person than it was in the pictures, the build quality seems very good. It's a well designed unit and seems sturdy minus the above issue. Has a very nice and quick mechanism to mount the screen to the stand. The usb and other options on the unit are great though having some on the far right side of the monitor would have been nice too for wireless mouses. I very much like the monitor adjustments on the unit as it's very easy to use and has a lot of features. I use Ubuntu Linux so did not want a software version as with my previous Samsung which had no adjustments on the lcd itself.

With the screen itself I've seen the posts regarding the graininess. I'm not sure if that is common with IPS screens but as long as you sit at least 20 inches or so from the monitor you don't really notice it. I have to do that anyways just so you see the pixels merge, if your too close you see the space between the pixels. I'd describe the graniness like having a thin layer of very fine grained sand painted onto the screen. You can see some variance but it's very minimal and even in it's effect across the whole screen.

This lcd is replacing a Samsung 173P 17" IPS panel. I had the graininess on that also but it wasn't much of a problem, that was a well reviewed screen 5 or 6 years ago. I'll take an IPS over a TN screen anytime. I was waiting for Samsung to come out with an IPS screen but seems they only make non IPS screens now. The is my first Dell LCD.

The colors on the U2410 are very nice. They are very even across the whole screen and are much more vibrant than the older Samsung. Not a dead pixel that I've been able to detect anywhere not that I'm going to go out of my way to find any. There is some very slight bleeding of light in all 4 corners and a little heavier in the lower left similar to some pics posted earlier in this thread but I can only see that in a totally dark room with all black on the screen. I don't notice anything in normal use even when playing a DVD with the black edges or when the screen is totally black in a lightly lit room. A very uniform screen overall. I don't see the pinkish/green at all mentioned in earlier posts either. Text is very clear and crisp. It puts out a lot of light so I keep the screen between 35 and 50 on the brightness.

After using a 17" for six years the extra 7" almost doubles the viewing area and it's so nice to have two applications open at once. It really is a whole different world with the larger screen size and wider aspect ration. I thought this would be too small compared to a 26" but it's just about the perfect size.

So just hope I can fix the stand or have Dell replace it. As I sure don't want to send back a perfectly good lcd for just the stand. I'd give the U2410 9 out of 10 only for the stand not being horizontal. It's a very worthy replacement for my Samsung and am pretty happy so far. :)

Also about the static dithering mentioned earlier in the thread; i notice it too... It's depressing and actually really noticeable playing Resident evil 5. First i thought it was part of the grainy coating, but it is actually the sRGB preset that makes the static dithering in black shades. You don't see it at complete black, but on all the lighter shades. Let's hope a firmware update will fix this.

Why would there be dithering I wonder? I thought it has a true 8-bit panel and all processing was done in 12-bit?

Unless perhaps dithering is being used to try and preserve accuracy when moving down from 12 to 8 bit.

Last edited:
hello everyone

too .. much .. to read ... in this thread for people (like me) looking for u2410-performance-review-specific posts...

anyways,

i just bought my Dell 2408wfp 3 weeks ago.

this morning, it was picked up by UPS, sending it back to Dell. Yes, i didnt like the Dell 2408. There was no "Defects" (tinting/hues/deadpixels/backlight bleed)...the only problem i had was the Color Shifting. Lagom's Viewing Angle Test, there will be a "circle spot" of Lagoms blended in/faded/disappear at the point my eyeballs point at..and the surrounding lagoms will be Red, or Blueish..i shift my eyeballs to the left or right, that "circle spot of faded Lagoms" shifts as well, and the previous "faded spot" fades in to reddish bluish, creating a massive "wait wat?" moment (doube-take), and creating headaches for me.

the color shifting makes it very very very unpleasant for Email text reading for prolonged time (over 15mins of squinting)... and forum reading is horrendous too. i get headaches n crosseyed..squinting n eyestrain.

other than that, the colors were perfect in my terms, after "eyeball calibration" via Lagom's website. Colors were beautiful (DELL 2408)..great range of black/white etc. Satisfied and upheld to its praises.

again, in the end, i returned the Dell 2408 for a full refund. Color Shifting just wont do it.
fyi, Color Shift =/= (not equal) to Viewing Angle.

ok, here's my question after all that reading (THANKS IF U READ IT ALL).

I am BACK to my Dell 2005WFP, which i had no idea has a S-IPS LG Panel until just today when i read about it on the HardForum Displays Sticky.

This Dell U2410 i have been really really interested in toooo, AND it is again an IPS LG Panel.........not a single person in all the 26 pages of this thread did a comparison of this 2410 with the 2005.. so i have no clue how much a "bad" the "graininess & dithering" is...which seems to be the biggest complaint as of this point...there are people saying in this thread that "Graininess is a key characteristic of all LG IPS Matte-Panels" (which in turn translates to say my current 2005wfp is too suspect to graininess, which i see zero of after having used it for 4 years now)

so, for me to be my own judge, i need someone to explain to me what the difference between S-IPS and H-IPS is, Hardforums doesnt cover that. The Dell 2005WFP is S-IPS (the one im using at this very moment and am so insanely in love with), while the Dell U2410 is "H"-IPS...explain explain the difference please!

I am considering to ask Dell to instead give me store credit for the returned 2408wfp and let me use that credit to put into my purchase for the U2410.... should i do it? or is there better alternatives for a great S-IPS with HDMI port.. i believe the u2410 right now is at $600USD @ Dell site. $600USD is the limit i will go for a screen.

Last edited:
I was curious about the difference between S-IPS and H-IPS too. I checked wikipedia, and they have a section on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IPS

S-IPS is the first type of IPS screen made by LG in 2001 which was based on Hitachi IPS monitors, it has the advantage of being an IPS screen. Then it evolved to AS-IPS(2005), H-IPS (2007) and the current E-IPS (2009). H-IPS has better contrast ratio performance than S-IPS, and can also be paired with a ATW polarizer. It may also incorporate the better color gamut performance of AS-IPS screens. How did I go for so long without knowing any of this stuff?

My U2410 is coming today. I'm guessing all U2410 monitors have the dithering issue in sRGB mode. I don't think I understand the issue. It feels like everyone wants to use this multi input monitor for color accurate work, or are people just enthusiastic about accurate color?

Last edited:
Anyone have any suggestions on what monitor I should get? this one or the HP LP2475w? I will be doing compositing, visual effects, graphic design and some gaming on it.

I was curious about the difference between S-IPS and H-IPS too. I checked wikipedia, and they have a section on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IPS

S-IPS is the first type of IPS screen made by LG in 2001 which was based on Hitachi IPS monitors, it has the advantage of being an IPS screen. Then it evolved to AS-IPS(2005), H-IPS (2007) and the current E-IPS (2009). H-IPS has better contrast ratio performance than S-IPS, and can also be paired with a ATW polarizer. It may also incorporate the better color gamut performance of AS-IPS screens. How did I go for so long without knowing any of this stuff?

My U2410 is coming today. I'm guessing all U2410 monitors have the dithering issue in sRGB mode. I don't think I understand the issue. It feels like everyone wants to use this multi input monitor for color accurate work, or are people just enthusiastic about accurate color?

thanks for the wiki link

any chance you would be able to take some pictures of the screen ? like... good pictures.. not like the others with shaky hands or phonecameras....i wanna see what these complaints about "graininess & dithering" means..and is it seriously bothersome??

I got my U2410 today and not only do I have 2 stuck pixels (obnoxious on a white background) my menu buttons don't work at all. They're completely unresponsive except for the power button. I'm already getting a replacement sent and apparently this is somewhat common.

Other than that it's great and I can't wait for my replacement which I hope doesn't have stuck pixels and has working menu buttons.

In my case it was pretty simple to fix the issue:

1. Hold on firmly to the LCD section and detach the LCD from the stand by pressing the release button which is just under where the stand and the LCD meet. Put the LCD somewhere safe so you don't scratch the screen.

2. At the top of the stand you will see a metal plate with 4 phillip type screws in a circle with lock washers. You will also notice two small holes in that plate in the lower left and upper right between the screws. The upper right one has about a 16th of an inch or a bit less of play and appears to be for aligning the LCD as mine has a straight blue ink alignment mark through that upper right hole. So appears someone tried to align it.

3. Loosen the 4 screws just enough so that you can rotate the plate. In my case it was counter clockwise about a 16th of an inch. Hold it there firmly and then tighten the 4 screws and remount the LCD to the stand and check the alignment.

You might have to do it twice as that 16th of an inch was enough to make my unit align very slightly in the opposite direction to the left. So that's it and that little amount of play will make a sizeable difference at the outer edges of the lcd.

The unit seems to be designed very well and the parts appear to be machined well too so this looks purely like an assembly problem and the person doing the assembly just didn't align it correctly.

Whew.....now I don't have to call Dell for a replacement.

Would you guys recommend this monitor over the HP LP2475w?

It depends whether you care about oversaturated colors and accuracy to the sRGB standard. When i got this monitor i just realised just how much i hate oversaturated colors, probably because you can so easely change between presets and really see the big difference. I like to turn up digital vibrance a little though, otherwise the picture looks kinda dead in sRGB preset.

thanks for the wiki link

any chance you would be able to take some pictures of the screen ? like... good pictures.. not like the others with shaky hands or phonecameras....i wanna see what these complaints about "graininess & dithering" means..and is it seriously bothersome??

Arg, Fed Ex didn't deliver because of signature confirmation. When I do get it, I'll try and take pictures.

Has anyone ran a console through it yet? The answer to this will be my deciding factor.

What is the service Tag# for U2410? I tried online chat but asking me to enter the srvice tag#. I need to arrange a return for a replacement. I have a mild blue-ish tint at the left bottom and a bad red-ish tint at the top right.

What is the service Tag# for U2410? I tried online chat but asking me to enter the srvice tag#. I need to arrange a return for a replacement. I have a mild blue-ish tint at the left bottom and a bad red-ish tint at the top right.

The service tag number is unique for every item from Dell such as a person's monitor, computer, etc. It should be on the monitor, itself, somewhere as a label.

The service tag number is unique for every item from Dell such as a person's monitor, computer, etc. It should be on the monitor, itself, somewhere as a label.

It does not have it. I can only locate a serial number and revision number.

Why do you need the service tag? Isn't that only for desktops/laptops? When I called last night for my replacement they asked for the order number and serial number.

If my replacement isn't perfect I'm probably going to get my money back and get the hp.

Why do you need the service tag? Isn't that only for desktops/laptops? When I called last night for my replacement they asked for the order number and serial number.

If my replacement isn't perfect I'm probably going to get my money back and get the hp.

I called in for my replacemnet. It was easy.

My calibtated sRGB had a green cast so I use cutom mode. I saw a post asking for some settings so I'll post the ones I came up with for Custom Color Mode so far. Not the end all be all and each monitor may have different inherent calibtation so this may be useless but I'll post anyway. You can elimiate the dithering by using custom color mode.

Gain
93 90 84

Offset
17 13 25

Saturation
40 43 39 47 47 47

Brightness/Contrast to taste but try…
31 50

I finally got my monitor from Fedex. It's a pretty nice monitor. I decided to take pictures of the sRGB dithering issue that has been mentioned. I took a picture of part of the Lagom test. I turned Sharpness up to 100. The further you turn up the sharpness, the more pronounced the dithering gets. It is a strange issue that also affects the Adobe RGB Preset. Again, this is a picture of the monitor using the sRGB preset with Sharpness turned up to a 100. You can see that the green pixels are on all over the place while blue is half on, and red is dim.

I also got a calibration report from Dell, saying that the Delta is less than 5. I thought for good calibration you wanted a Delta under 2.

Also, I don't notice the graininess that people are mentioning. I guess I am not affected. I am using the monitor for a PS3, X360, and Wii, so I don't care about sRGB performance, good thing I have a NEC LCD2490wuxi . My initial impression is that it is a pretty nice monitor. Of course, since it doesn't have the A-TW Polarizer, it has a white glow, it's a package deal, like color shifting with PVA's, and color inversion with TN panels.

[URL=http://img199.imageshack.us/i/srgbissue.jpg/][/URL]

Last edited:
So the dithering and "graininess" issues are only visible if using the monitor in sRGB mode?

Yeah I hate the grain. I can't help but see it, especially editing video. Maybe I can take some 2000 grit sandpaper to the screen. I'm tempted. Those apples are like silk.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Memory Card Reader on U2410? It looks like mine does not work. Nothing happens when I insert SD or Memory Stick. However, USB flash card works without an issue right below it. I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Has anyone tried Memory Card Reader on U2410? It looks like mine does not work. Nothing happens when I insert SD or Memory Stick. However, USB flash card works without an issue right below it. I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Never mind. I had push the memory card harder.

Back