Dell U2311H

Any one know of any Dell Canada coupons? 240$ is tempting, however Im having a hard time paying that much for something I will most likely have to exchange multiple times.

If anyone wants to have some professionally calibrated settings for this monitor here they are as follows. Performed on Rev A01 U2311H.

The following settings will get you 6500k with 2.2 gamma and 100cd of brightness. Which is perfect for image/video editing/ anything

Preset Modes > Custom (RGB)

R 94
G 86
B 89

Brightness 18
Contrast 75

Menu > Display Settings > Sharpness 40

In addition here is the icc profile that is generated. It doesn't change much since the RGB controls take care of 95% of the calibration. But it does apply a subtle LUT change to some colors.

U2311H_CE_65K_100CD.icc

Thanks for the info. My two should be here Tuesday afternoon and I'll try this out. Haven't had an IPS since my DS263, I'm pretty stoked. :D

Any one know of any Dell Canada coupons? 240$ is tempting, however Im having a hard time paying that much for something I will most likely have to exchange multiple times.

I only had to exchange mine once, and It's worth the week wait (for multiple exchanges if needed) when you finally get a working one. :)

Hi,

I would buy this monitor but I read about the Benq BL2400PT VA panel (I guess having the same panel of the VW2420) and now don't know if buy the Dell or wait for the Benq.

What are the main differences (responsiveness, panel uniformity, color fidelity...)?

As i know there is an higher contrast (3000:1), 24" ,LED back-light and VA panel.

The price seems to be more or less the same.

so... eIPS or A-MVA? or wait for the 23" LG IPS Led that have 6ms, LED and IPS panel

Thanks in advance!

Bye!

is the u2311h vesa 100 compatible? ( i believe it is, just didn't see any holes in the picture) Also would an hdmi cable with a dvi adapter at the end work with it?

I'm considering replacing an acer g245h mounted next to by bed with this, because of the crappy tn viewing angles, and currently have it connected to my computer with a 25ft hdmi cable and dvi adapter at the end =p

thanks!

Last edited:
The Dell U2410 has the following options for "Wide Mode":-
1:1
Aspect
Fill

U2410 manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2410/en/ug/operate.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Dell U2311H has the following options for "Wide Mode":-
4:3
Fill

U2311H manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2311h/en/ug/operate.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what's the difference between the "Aspect" of the U2410 and the "4:3" of the U2311H.
If anyone has tried out both the monitors, could you explain in detail the difference between "Aspect" and "4:3" with examples.

If anyone wants to have some professionally calibrated settings for this monitor here they are as follows. Performed on Rev A01 U2311H.

The following settings will get you 6500k with 2.2 gamma and 100cd of brightness. Which is perfect for image/video editing/ anything

Preset Modes > Custom (RGB)

R 94
G 86
B 89

Brightness 18
Contrast 75

Menu > Display Settings > Sharpness 40

In addition here is the icc profile that is generated. It doesn't change much since the RGB controls take care of 95% of the calibration. But it does apply a subtle LUT change to some colors.

U2311H_CE_65K_100CD.icc

Thanks. I just ordered mine!

Well, I pulled the trigger. In for 2 - $508.41 taxed and shipped to Illinois. Can hardly beat that for two IPS monitors. I really did not want to give up 16x10, but I got two of these for the price of one 24" IPS, and my old monitor will be repurposed since it has a built in TV tuner. Now I just need to hear about the new 6000 series radeons so I can rock those displayports.

Aspect
Fill

U2410 manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2410/en/ug/operate.htm
Fill

U2311H manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/MONITORS/U2311h/en/ug/operate.htm

So what's the difference between the "Aspect" of the U2410 and the "4:3" of the U2311H.
If anyone has tried out both the monitors, could you explain in detail the difference between "Aspect" and "4:3" with examples.

4:3 just scales to "4:3," which was the traditional aspect ratio before widescreen resolutions.

The u2410 can scale to "aspect" which I suspect is needed as it would need to handle 16:9 and 4:3 content while it is 16:10, especially from input sources that cannot scale themselves, such as from sources you would traditionally connect to a TV (console, video players, cable, etc.)

From a use perspective the u2311h is somewhat fine. As 16:10 sources are typically from the computer only, which you can use your GPU to do scaling.

Aspect
Fill

U2410 manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ug/operate.htm
Fill

U2311H manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ug/operate.htm

4:3 just scales to "4:3," which was the traditional aspect ratio before widescreen resolutions.

The u2410 can scale to "aspect" which I suspect is needed as it would need to handle 16:9 and 4:3 content while it is 16:10, especially from input sources that cannot scale themselves, such as from sources you would traditionally connect to a TV (console, video players, cable, etc.)

From a use perspective the u2311h is somewhat fine. As 16:10 sources are typically from the computer only, which you can use your GPU to do scaling.

So the largest 16:10 resolution on this monitor would be 1728x1080.
But if I were to set my desktop resolution at 1728x1080, would the monitor stretch it horizontally since it doesn't have "Aspect" support. Not that I would set my desktop at this resolution.

But what about games that only have 4:3 or 16:10 support. Like for example, if I set my desktop resolution at 1920x1080, and the game is set to a 16:10 resolution, will the game be stretched horizontally ?

The monitor has 4:3 scaling, so 4:3 content is not an issue.

I'm not aware of any games that support 16:10 only. But your GPU should be able to do aspect scaling regardless of the monitors settings if it is the input source.

By scaling I mean the content maintains its aspect ratio while being enlarged to the maximum size the screen will allow, with black bars filling the rest.

Just ordered mine for about $260 after tax. Damn tax!

Anyway, I've heard there are some issues I should watch out for, like poor uniformity, bleeding, and tinting. Is there any thing else I should examine closely upon receiving it? I heard people often make multiple exchange so I'd just like to be prepared.

If I do find one of these issues does dell charge anything for the exchange? will they really just keep exchanging it if you say you are unhappy? And if I ultimately don't want the monitor will they charge a restocking fee and tax/shipping for a return? I haven't heard of anyone returning theirs yet though, so I doubt it will come to that =p

thank you!

Ordered two on Monday afternoon. They arrived this morning with free 3-5 day shipping, so that was nice. Both are Rev A01 according to the box.

Never had an IPS before. I'll post some more when I get them up and running tonight.

Could someone point me in the general directon of the latest coupon for this monitor? I've searched, but don't see anything. Maybe it has expired.

Thanks for the info! But, it must not be good at this time possibly because they are already running a lesser discount. Even going through small biz, it doesn't work. :(

Ordered mine Sunday, just came in. Protective film still on it (stickied to the side).

RevA00 arrived. Not A01.

Still calibrating. No dead pixels and doesn't seem to be a heavy amount of light bleeding. Will test more tonight.

Ordered mine Sunday, just came in. Protective film still on it (stickied to the side).

RevA00 arrived. Not A01.

Still calibrating. No dead pixels and doesn't seem to be a heavy amount of light bleeding. Will test more tonight.

Could you post your calibration results and take a picture of an all black screen in the dark with the calibrated luminace?

I should be receiving mine on Friday. I'll post my experiences once I get it. I'll be comparing to an acer G245h that I've been VERY happy with, I actually find it hard to believe it gets much better, we will see.

Setup both of them. Look fantastic compared to my old Samsung TN. Not noticing the switch from 16x10. After I tweaked around with the settings for a while, I used the Flatpanels HD settings and found that to look the best. I think my eyes are still adjusting, but I feel like they are less strained. I guess we'll see after using them for a while.

No tinting, but I do see a contrast shift at extreme angles. No dead pixels. I am keeping both. Rev A01.

One bad thing: my desk is L shaped, and needs to be bigger to fit my speakers.

Anybody have RGB settings for an A0 revision, possibly the July 2010 batch? I've tried the review site settings but it would be great to try more.

I received my monitors on Tuesday. I figured I'd wait a few days to post. I have very minimal backlight bleed on one of the monitors and the other is pretty much perfect. There's a tiny bit of tint but it's nothing to distracting and I'm not as nit picky as some. I am also dead pixel free. These monitors exceeded my expectations and they're fucking beautiful not to my mention my productivity when working from home has gone through the roof.

I was a bit worried about input lag and/or ghosting. Though, I've never been too sensitive to ghosting once I adjusted since switching from my 100hz CRT a few years ago. I was planning on getting the AW2310 but not really regretting not picking up. I would say that this monitor is actually faster than the 22" Gateway that it replaced.

I can't wait to pick-up my third for eyefinity and a little hunch told me my girlfriend picked it up for me as part of my bday present.

Now I wait for Cayman XT for some crossfire loving.

On a nice side note my Dad finally has a nice LCD to finish up his setup. I brought him out of the stone age last year and replaced his Pentium 166/Win 95 setup with a nice Athlon II AMD rig.

Setup both of them. Look fantastic compared to my old Samsung TN. Not noticing the switch from 16x10. After I tweaked around with the settings for a while, I used the Flatpanels HD settings and found that to look the best. I think my eyes are still adjusting, but I feel like they are less strained. I guess we'll see after using them for a while.

No tinting, but I do see a contrast shift at extreme angles. No dead pixels. I am keeping both. Rev A01.

One bad thing: my desk is L shaped, and needs to be bigger to fit my speakers.

I hear you man. I've got a Jerker so it's a pretty large desk but these monitors just barely fit with my speakers. I'm probably gonna be building some speaker stands this weekend so I can fit a third one on there plus I'll get a nice boost in audio quality with my speakers raised up.

I'm glad you're enjoying them as I'm loving mine. I even played some CS in Dual Eyefinity just for fun and to get a taste of the good stuff. lol. I went ahead and picked up a display port and a display port to HDMI cable from amazon. I'm gonna plug my 360 into one of these. I've been wanting to play some reach but my girlfriends little brother has had it for the week I can't pry that shit from hiis cold dead hands. haha.

Is it still for $240 in Canada?

If I buy now, I have to pay $250 + HST + a disposal fee of $12.25, for a total of about $295.:confused:

As far as I know we've always had to pay sales tax even from out of province orders. Our tax laws are not quite the same as the US, where they do not charge sales tax out of state.

Got mine in today. Rev A01 made in china, shipped from Nashville. Absolutely no QC issues to speak of. no bleed, no uneven tinting, barely notice the AG coating and I'm coming from a glossy. No backlight bleed at all, it's as good as my acer G245 in that regard, and I had to hunt through a lot of bad panels to find that one.

It does however have ips glow, which I believe is unavoidable. It's noticeable from head on, and becomes more pronounced as the angles increase. I'm not sure if If I should try for a replacement or not, or it's normal to see it head on. It also doesn't have as good of a contrast or as deep blacks as my g245.

All In all I'm pretty impressed, though. I had to get an ips panel because of the way I have my computer set up now, I'm viewing the monitor from a very sharp angle and tn just wasn't cutting it. If not for that I would have stuck with my G245. I'll post some pics later if they turn out any good. My camera is trash so probably won't take any useful shots.

Anyway I don't need two high end monitors so I'm going to list my g245 in the for sale/trade section of a few forums for $199. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Last edited:
I seem to be having some issues with my panel. On certain black screens I get little horizontal green lines or dots flashing. Anyone know what the issue could be or how to fix it?

I'm using the same cables and computer as my previous monitor and haven't experienced anything like this. Has anyone else had this problem?

Could you post your calibration results and take a picture of an all black screen in the dark with the calibrated luminace?

mSCWD.jpg

I apologize for the blurriness. My camcorder is not the best with photos. :)

Summary: The panel itself is a strong contender for it's price. It is relatively cheap and provides great colors compared to many other 23" monitors I've tried. When purchased, I compared it directly an Acer (which I purchased early last week) and it completely trounced the Acer. The Acer also had a stuck pixel (in Blue) which I could not clear through several methods. So onto the Dell I go!

Calibration and Issues: I used a color palette found under FlatpanelsHD.com:

Brightness: 30
Contrast: 75
Input Color Format: RGB
Mode Selection: Graphics
Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Response time: Overdrive
RGB: Custom
• R: 99
• G: 95
• B: 98

The colors are deep and crisp and I enjoy the monitor immensely now that I can see that black is really black in my eyes. This is my first IPS, and I may be completely just having a "OMG IT'S NEW AND PRETTY."

However, there is minor tinting. The tinting is a little orange but it really is not noticeable when sitting in front of the computer or moving to the left or right. It is an effect I feel is minor at best.

Bleed: As you can see in the picture above, albeit blurry, is mainly tint. There's a little bleed but it is hard to notice. I was lazy and didn't move my taskbar over, but it didn't affect the picture much.

Price: I purchased this when it was 239$ off of Dell's Small Business website. The website claimed I would not get the monitor for a week and they delivered the Monitor in 2 days. Free shipping sweetened the deal and I am so far very happy with my purchase.

However, there is minor tinting. The tinting is a little orange but it really is not noticeable when sitting in front of the computer or moving to the left or right. It is an effect I feel is minor at best.

Bleed: As you can see in the picture above, albeit blurry, is mainly tint. There's a little bleed but it is hard to notice. I was lazy and didn't move my taskbar over, but it didn't affect the picture much.

Does the issue go away when you at the corners directly? It is off angle glow, and the only drawback for this screen in terms of viewing angles.

The tint issue is mainly observed on a light image, where one side is tinted, likely contributed by backlight uniformity issues.

I believe he's referring to IPS glow. Mine has the same orange/purple "tint" or "glow" in the 4 corners, worst in the bottom left. I could be wrong though about the proper terminology.

Unfortunately it's there when I look at it dead on, and worsened when looking from an angle.

The blacks are great on mine, and theres 0 backlight bleed. But the glow is pretty substantial and could prove distracting. I don't know if theres a way around it...i think all of them have it.

I only notice glow when the screen is all black and I'm looking off angle or I'm sitting in the dark and it's showing a dark scene or something. I don't notice it under normal circumstances and the purple glow is definitely preferable to the white glow I've seen on some displays.

The glow is not horrid. It is relatively OK in my opinion. I do not notice heavy tinting when looking at the sides and it does not bother me. But it looks like people have a wide range of tolerances for this monitor, mine may be less than yours.

what brightness / contrast / rgb settings are you guys using ? the stock 75/75 / 100/100/100 is beautiful but blinding. The above 18/75 94/86/89 is a bit too dark for me.

hi, i just received mine yesterday Rev a01 september. no dead pix, no obvious bleed. quite perfect. however, its tilted slightly to the right, and on a full black screen in a dark room, there are these vertical lines moving up and down. dont know what u call that, but only on full black screen and dark room.

some help i need:

1. the monitor is tilted very slightly clockwised. but i cant tilt it back counterclockwise because its at it's maximum. 5mm height difference between the left and right end. is this common for most users? if not, u think they allow exchange just for the stand and not the panel?

2. i connected it to my XPS 1640 laptop via the factory's VGA cable. have only VGA, Displayport and HDMI ports on laptop. should i get a Displayport-Displayport cable? is it better than VGA? or any other suggestions?

3. the laptop's running on ATI mobility radeon hd3670, with win7 upgraded from vista, does upgrading my videocard's driver improve the display? i came across this Mobility Modder for ATI, anyone tried that?

thank you in advance!

I think mine is tilted slightly to the right also and it bugs me, but it's just so minimal that I can ignore it most of the time. My monitor is the older Rev A00.

hi, i just received mine yesterday Rev a01 september. no dead pix, no obvious bleed. quite perfect. however, its tilted slightly to the right, and on a full black screen in a dark room, there are these vertical lines moving up and down. dont know what u call that, but only on full black screen and dark room.

some help i need:

1. the monitor is tilted very slightly clockwised. but i cant tilt it back counterclockwise because its at it's maximum. 5mm height difference between the left and right end. is this common for most users? if not, u think they allow exchange just for the stand and not the panel?

2. i connected it to my XPS 1640 laptop via the factory's VGA cable. have only VGA, Displayport and HDMI ports on laptop. should i get a Displayport-Displayport cable? is it better than VGA? or any other suggestions?

3. the laptop's running on ATI mobility radeon hd3670, with win7 upgraded from vista, does upgrading my videocard's driver improve the display? i came across this Mobility Modder for ATI, anyone tried that?

thank you in advance!

1) Mine seems fine. I guess if you want to "risk it," you can slightly force it to pivot (there is give on mine) to the other side, it isn't a hard stop on mine preventing it from pivoting counter clockwise. I did fix a tilt on a PX2370 I tried by forcing the hinge this way (and that monitor has no pivoting hinge).

2) Digital to Digital connections tend to have better IQ, especially in that they tend to be sharper and less blurry. If you don't find the picture currently blurry, then I guess it is fine. Whenever I try VGA on a LCD, I tend to find the picture slightly blurry and unfocused.

3) Not unless there is some bug with your current drivers. But newer drivers may or may not fix other bugs/add features/or improve performance of your GPU. Likewise they might add issues.

Back