Dell U2311H

I have a pivot monitor that does the "slightly tilted" thing as well. I just fold a piece of paper over and over until its thick enough to lift it to a proper level. Not a pretty fix, but a fix none the less, without potentially forcing it to break.

I got a replacement monitor and need help deciding which one to keep. My original was a A01, the second one is an A00. I took some pictures comparing the two.

the A01 clearly beats the A00 on the lagom tests. The white level is perfect and I can see up to 255, whereas the A00 can only see up to 250. The contrast is also slightly better on the A01.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

But it's the colors that concern me on the A01, I'm not sure if they are accurate or not, and don't have any tools. Check out the pictures below, in 4chan the yellow background is significantly more yellow on the A01 while with the A00 it almost blends with whites. In hardocp the reds are darker and more like a crimson, while the A00 has the reds much brigher, like regular red.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3186/dscn2329.jpg
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/4344/dscn2332g.jpg

I see shadows and gradients on the A01 that I don't on the A00 and in general, really like the A01 more. I feel like everything kind of blends together on the A00, while on the A01 the colors seem so independent of each other. This makes some websites look weird and "ugly" compared to what I'm used to. If it's colors are off and that's what I'm noticing, it kind of kills it. If I'm just seeing them through a high quality monitor that really distinguishes different shades and brightness levels, then good. But like I said I've got no tools so don't really know. Can someone with a trained eye look at the pictures and say what they believe is more accurate?

thank you!

Last edited:
For what it's worth, although the image quality of your pictures makes it difficult (not to mention the process of taking pictures is going to introduce arbitrary color shifts anyway), the monitor on the right appears to have more "accurate" color out of the box. I'm looking at your images on a U2311H myself, which I calibrated with an i1display2. The red use on [H] is more of a dark crimson and less of a bright, saturated red.

However, it's impossible to tell from your pictures whether your A00 panel is displaying color incorrectly or if it simply has a less accurate factory calibration. Both my U2311H's are A00 and they calibrate very close to each other.

^My A00, after calibration, displays more of a dark crimson red also. Oh, and I fixed the pivoting issue with my monitor that caused it not to be perfectly level with my desk. I decided to risk it and put more pressure counter clockwise on the pivot and I got it to stay nearly parallel to my desk. It really didn't require a lot of force and I was surprised that it worked!

I'm glad to hear that Hardocp is more of the dark crimson color on some calibrated monitors. Both the settings on mine are just 30 brightness, 75 contrast, and 100 rgb on the custom profile. Like I said, I don't have any tools so I can't do any real calibration, that I'm aware of.

Something I notice on the a01 is that what I believe are meant to be "subtle" colors are much more pronounced. They seem to "contrast" a lot more. Would that most likely be because of the vastly superior whites I explained in the post above? or inaccurate colors?

For instance 4chan has a very obvious light yellow background on my A01. on the A00 it's still light yellow, but you need to really look to distinguish it from pure white, found in some of the pictures. The photo I posted above shows it really well, if you look at the white "MALES FEMALES" picture, and compare it to the colors around it.

I understand the pictures are tough to work with, but it shows enough to see the difference in "white" contrast and subtle colors.

I don't visit 4chan regularly. How do you get it to look like that with the side menu? On mine my yellows are much less pronounced and closer to a white. It's still harder to compare to your picture because I'm not looking at the same web page layout. You can still tweak your colors very roughly by using the test images on lagoom or you can try out some of the settings of the other users here. It seems like most of them display relatively the same color on the same settings (I've noticed everyone uses about the same settings).

That's what I was thinking, that they were almost too pronounced. I was wondering if you could tell me how your monitor scores on the lagom white saturation test. my a01 only goes up to 250, while my a01 goes all the way to 254. I keep thinking it's somehow related, like maybe the whites are SO white, that subtle colors seem more pronounced.

I really don't know, but I need to send one of them back and want to keep the best one =p

btw wendigo, you need to type /frames after the site address. it looks like the forums block out a direct link to them though, lol.

http://www.++++++++++/frames/

You mentioned test images on lagom, but i didn't see any dealing with accurate colors, could you link it?

thanks!

After some more messing around I found that it's the contrast setting that affects the color "subtly" and the white level, drastically. Now just to find a good balance.

Unfortunately the white level goes down when I "lessen" the intensity of the 4chan contrast, so I don't know what I'm going to do =p

For what it is worth my rev00 passes lagom black 1 and white 254 at a contrast of 75 while sitting ~55cm away from the screen on custom rgb, no adjustments. Forums also has the darker crimson red. 4chan also is a distinguishable yellow.

Maybe you are on Mac mode for gamma by accident? I switched to it to test, and all the symptoms (bright red forum, almost white 4chan background, a lot more failed lagom tests) you describe occur.

Last edited:
llmercll said:
For instance 4chan has a very obvious light yellow background on my A01. on the A00 it's still light yellow, but you need to really look to distinguish it from pure white, found in some of the pictures. The photo I posted above shows it really well, if you look at the white "MALES FEMALES" picture, and compare it to the colors around it.
When using a gamma of 2.2 and a color temperature of 6500K, the 4chan background is supposed to be an obvious light yellow, not almost white. From the pictures, it looks to me like the one on the left has too much blue.

The red on this forum should be a darker red, but not too dark. The one on the left looks way too bright.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the two monitors just had different contrast settings out of the box. The one on the left was too high and the one on the right was, I think, a little too low. By adjusting the contrast I got them both looking pretty similar to one another.

The rev A01 looked much better out of the box though, the A00 almost reminded me of my old tn (everything just kind of blended together and looked "off white") until I adjusted it. Another example is how the outside border of yahoo was nearly white, but with the proper contrast it's a nice light gray.

Last edited:
Can someone who actually owns the U2211H measure the width? Specs range based on sources btwn 20.3 in and 21.26 in . I am working with a tight space and am considering this.

Thanks.

you are probably right - didnt realize - sorry for the confusion...

You burgled my time! I reached into the draw next to me and pulled out a ruler...held it up! And counted! You are an inconsiderate bastard. You know how much pr0n I could have looked at with that time?! I have never felt so violated. Except for that one night with Brian's mom.

For those of you who are owners of this monitor, and that game on it (FPS, RTS etc.), how do you find it for gaming use?

I'm looking to buy one, primarily to be used for gaming.

1) Mine seems fine. I guess if you want to "risk it," you can slightly force it to pivot (there is give on mine) to the other side, it isn't a hard stop on mine preventing it from pivoting counter clockwise. I did fix a tilt on a PX2370 I tried by forcing the hinge this way (and that monitor has no pivoting hinge).

2) Digital to Digital connections tend to have better IQ, especially in that they tend to be sharper and less blurry. If you don't find the picture currently blurry, then I guess it is fine. Whenever I try VGA on a LCD, I tend to find the picture slightly blurry and unfocused.

3) Not unless there is some bug with your current drivers. But newer drivers may or may not fix other bugs/add features/or improve performance of your GPU. Likewise they might add issues.

thank you for the advices!

but i still have this shimmering vertical lines on a Paint full black screen. like some interference or some sort. any idea what might be causing these? the VGA connection cables?

thank you for the advices!

but i still have this shimmering vertical lines on a Paint full black screen. like some interference or some sort. any idea what might be causing these? the VGA connection cables?

That sounds a lot like the problem mine gave me. Are there dots as well? are the lines green and flickering?

what gpu are you running it off of?

sorry they are horizontal lines, not vertical. my mistake.
dont really notice dots, just horizontal lines.
cant decide whether they are green, maybe they are, i just know i can see them.
yea i think u can call them "flickering" too.

im running on Dell XPS 1640 ATI Mobility Radeon HD3670 > VGA cable > Rev a01 September panel. you?

hd 5850 via dvi on an A01 panel.

have you tried another VGA cable? My issue was solved by changing cables =p

or if you have a vga -> dvi adapter you can try that to see if it's the vga port on your monitor that's giving you problems.

hd 5850 via dvi on an A01 panel.

have you tried another VGA cable? My issue was solved by changing cables =p

or if you have a vga -> dvi adapter you can try that to see if it's the vga port on your monitor that's giving you problems.

ah good for you. havent tried another VGA cable. am thinking of getting either Displayport>Displayport or HDMI>DVI cable.

some help needed again:
1. i've read some displayport>displayport issues such as the monitor going to sleep mode. anyone has that problem?

2. im using ATI Mobility Radeon hd3670, does the card and monitor support v1.2 Displayport?

3. should i go Displayport>Displayport or HDMI>DVI?

thank you again!

Does anyone else have a portion of their settings, such as Pixel Clock, grayed out? How come I can't access them?

I am pretty happy with my monitor but the image quality from my Gateway FHD2400 still seems better. There seems to be a kind of film I can't get rid of on this; I'm not sure if it has to do with the glossy screen of the Gateway providing more pop. Also, I don't know if it's because of lack of 1:1 on the Dell, but text looks a little bit blurry (I set my sharpness to 50).

And is it just me or are the "calibrated" settings for this found throughout the web horribly wrong? All of them seem to look either too cool or have too much of a color cast. (I am pretty sure I know what 6500k looks like, since my KURO is calibrated to that.)

Wow that is dissapointing... I hate the way my FHD2400 looks, i mean it produces color better than most TN's but the viewing angles and back light bleed drive me crazy.

I really hope i dont come to the same conclusion.

Today I've received my U2311H Rev. A01 and unfortunately it has a very unusual defect. If I view it at a normal angle it looks fine, but otherwise a huge bright horizontal line is visible (on any background)!

des9ib.jpg

Have any of you ever seen something like this?

on my fhd2400 TN i have this issue, but only at non used viewing angles, im sure someone out there knows what causes this.

1. i've read some displayport>displayport issues such as the monitor going to sleep mode. anyone has that problem?

I have the A01 and an NVIDIA NVS 5100M (HP EliteBook 8540p). So far no issues with DisplayPort to DisplayPort.

Today I've received my U2311H Rev. A01 and unfortunately it has a very unusual defect. If I view it at a normal angle it looks fine, but otherwise a huge bright horizontal line is visible (on any background)!

des9ib.jpg

Have any of you ever seen something like this?

Maybe someone else has experienced this with their A01, but not I. Try switching the cable and call up dell for a replacement.

whats the difference between a00 and a01?

I've got both with me right now. The differences, that I can tell (at least between these 2 particular panels) are that out of the box the A01 has a higher contrast (and because of that, better whites on the lagom test), and a bit less IPS glow. Unfortunately I don't have a calibrating tool, but the A01 looks nicer to me "out of the box" which is as good as I'm going to get for now =)

Last edited:
I have the A01 and an NVIDIA NVS 5100M (HP EliteBook 8540p). So far no issues with DisplayPort to DisplayPort.

im staying in Singapore. but i cant seem to find a displayport>displayport cable from pc chain retails. but i never tried the PC malls yet. maybe DP>DP is not too popular here yet.
so i got myself a HDMI>DVI cable today. a china brand, ATAKE. not too cheap. but it solved the problem. no more shimmering horizontal lines. everything's good now!

Last edited:
I just picked up a U2311H this weekend! It should be here by Thursday. This monitor is going to be replacing my NEC 20WGXM2 that I've been holding onto securely for a few years. I'm pretty excited to see the difference between the two. I know the NEC is superb in every way, but I've been itching for a larger monitor.

For those of you who are owners of this monitor, and that game on it (FPS, RTS etc.), how do you find it for gaming use?

I'm looking to buy one, primarily to be used for gaming.

haven't had any problems with gaming.. it's great

Uh, I have a small question regarding the 360 useage on this monitor.

We all know that HDMI has better quality than VGA (At least what I've observed on my older 22" monitor). Is it possible to get some sort of HDMI to DVI converter/adapter or cable and play the 360 through the U2311H's DVI port? I know I'd need a DVI switchbox since it's also used for the PC but that's easily bought.

I have an old Viewsonic VX2260WM that I want to get rid of in favour of the Dell for gaming, but just wanted to make sure I could do this.

Uh, I have a small question regarding the 360 useage on this monitor.

We all know that HDMI has better quality than VGA (At least what I've observed on my older 22" monitor). Is it possible to get some sort of HDMI to DVI converter/adapter or cable and play the 360 through the U2311H's DVI port? I know I'd need a DVI switchbox since it's also used for the PC but that's easily bought.

I have an old Viewsonic VX2260WM that I want to get rid of in favour of the Dell for gaming, but just wanted to make sure I could do this.

Yup

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

But you'll need the xbox 360 audio adapter as well, which can be had on ebay for $6

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-XBOX-36...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3cadb8d808

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back