Dell U2311H

Mine both arrived earlier in the week.

Both are flawless from my perspective. Using TFTCentral's color profile, tweaked the OSD to make the colors perfect.

There was some slight bluish tint on one of them when I first got them hooked up, however after tuning it's literally impossible to notice even if I spend a whole day trying to find it.

Back light bleed isn't bad at all and the panels look very uniform. Color is excellent. Anti-glare coating doesn't bother me at all, screens look very crisp and text is easy to read.

23" 1080P is larger and offers more real estate than I had imagined. Very pleased overall. :)

Rev A00, May 2010 panels.

orange is the new white, with a hint of green or red dependent on the angle

Big update!!!

Both of my monitors came in. I ordered them on 6/12/2010 and received them 6/25/2010. During this entire time Dell had my status showing estimated shipping date wouldn't be until July 8th. So I'm rather exited it came so soon.

I got a bunch of pics as I was setting them up. As of right now I have not modified any settings except the left monitors brightness because I noticed it was darker than the right monitor. That change is not shown in these screens however.

Album Link: http://img412.imageshack.us/g/dsc02671z.jpg/
Some of these were taken with flash and some weren't. I'm not a great photographer and just stick with the default camera settings so take that into consideration.

So I also just got one of these... I'm not really happy with it. It's definitely blue compared to my Westinghouse l2410nm.

Should I send this one back or is this how they all are? I don't see any yellow tint, its just all blue..

dscn1402z.jpg

that's notepad spanning across both monitors

Big update!!!

Both of my monitors came in. I ordered them on 6/12/2010 and received them 6/25/2010. During this entire time Dell had my status showing estimated shipping date wouldn't be until July 8th. So I'm rather exited it came so soon.

I got a bunch of pics as I was setting them up. As of right now I have not modified any settings except the left monitors brightness because I noticed it was darker than the right monitor. That change is not shown in these screens however.

Album Link: http://img412.imageshack.us/g/dsc02671z.jpg/
Some of these were taken with flash and some weren't. I'm not a great photographer and just stick with the default camera settings so take that into consideration.

Lucky.

Ordered the 14th, still haven't shipped, still showing July 14th estimate. Hopefully that's not accurate.

Received my monitor. One dead pixel, no tinting. Gorgeous screen. Definitely a step up in terms of image quality from my BenQ FP241W, not to mention better response and lower input lag. A shame the scaling options are thin (toggle b/w 16:9 and 4:3).

Lucky.

Ordered the 14th, still haven't shipped, still showing July 14th estimate. Hopefully that's not accurate.

Not sure if it matters but I ordered mine through Dell Small Business and I used one of their 20% off coupons that they give you for registering.

Update: this monitor can take 480i/p (and other resolutions) YPbPr signals over VGA. That is awesome. An $8 cable from monoprice allows you to hook up a wii or older consoles or homebrew electronics with component out to this monitor. I have yet to try it, so I can't comment on de-interlacing quality.

I have my U2311H for about a week, I'm coming from a Samsung 215TW(S-PVA). Sure the Dell has some light bleeding(on a black screen) and the right side of the screen has a slightly blueish tint on a pure white background however if you are watching a dvd or movie file(avi ect) none of this is noticeable at all. Even on the Win 7 default backgroung it's not noticeable. So apart from creating conditions where the backlight bleeding is noticable or the faint bluseish tint on a full white background this monitor reproduces colors very well indeed. I can tell you between the 215TW(that cost twice as much as the Dell) the Dell does an equally good job in everyday use, playing games and watching movies and for the price of the Dell monitor you will have to look very hard to do as well for the same money.

Doesn't look like there's any way to connect a speaker directly to this monitor, can anyone confirm this?

It doesn't have any speakers on it, but it looks like it supports the dell speaker add-on accessory.

I got mine last week, but just got home from vacation. So far I tested one and no dead pixels and I'm not seeing any tinting.

Updated: tested both no dead pixels and I'm not noticing the tinting issue. I'm using DPT to test. One odd thing is that one stand seems to be higher than the other at maximum height.

Last edited:
Just got an update that mine shipped and is arriving on the 2nd.

Instead of asking here in this thread regarding this monitor, I did some research... According to a user of another
forum, the U2311H has: "no 1:1 pixel mapping or aspect ratio scaling, not the smoothest text rendering..."

Would be nice if people here who have it can report how it behaves and looks if you set some lower
resolution like 1280x960 (a 4:3 res) or whatever... and if you can do that with black borders around.

And how it stretches a lower res (does it fill the whole screen or does it stretch it proportionally? does it look horrible?) . . .

There are two options: Full (16:9) and 4:3. There is no 1:1. That's kind of a bummer.

The text rendering in OS X is fantastic. I haven't paid attention to the text in W7 because I only use that for TF2 and L4D.

Confirmed: can accept component signal over VGA. D-sub -> component cables are ~$5 at monoprice. This monitor rooooolz for the price.

Hey guys, new poster- long time reader-- yadda yadda.

I'm a bit confused over the delays most of you are experiencing. I ordered 1xU2311H on 06/27/2010 and received it today, 07/01/2010. How the heck is that even possible? I also cheaped on the shipping as well. Not here to gloat, I'm just baffled at how this monitor got here so quickly..

I don't think the monitor is in short supply anymore. Most poeple who ordered it when it first released (~month ago) had to wait, but now they probably have plenty in stock to ship out.

The 20% coupon also probably created a lot of initial demand for it.

This might be conspiracy theorist, but I'm wondering for those who bought on discount/coupons vs. those who bought regular priced. Are the regular priced people perhaps getting better shipping dates and quality control? haha....

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if you've heard the recent news regarding Dell.

I stacked as many coupons as possible and I got a great monitor way ahead of schedule.

Alternate theory: IIRC Apple is sourcing their IPS panels for the iPhone 4 and iPad from the same manufacturer that produces the panels for Dell's U2331h, and there was clearly a rush on iStuff in June.

I wonder if Dell took the U2311h off of their business site because of all the 20% off coupons.

There are two options: Full (16:9) and 4:3. There is no 1:1. That's kind of a bummer.

The text rendering in OS X is fantastic. I haven't paid attention to the text in W7 because I only use that for TF2 and L4D.
Thanks for the confirmation... Yeah, major bummer...
I tried one of the Sam & Max episodic games -- it has a max resolution of 1280x960 with no wide screen options. Switching to 4:3 mode seems to make the aspect ratio look correct (it touches the top and bottom with black bars on the sides) though when you look at text it seems slightly smeared/blurry. As far as I can tell that's the same effect as with any non-native resolution, so as expected I guess. When in 4:3 mode, if you're viewing a 16:9 resolution it gets smushed to a 4:3 aspect ratio (I only mention that because another LCD I had automatically switched to 4:3 mode based on the source video). My U2311h just arrived so I've yet to really put 4:3 mode through it's paces (I have a large collection of older PC games I could try).

My u2311h arrived today, about 20 days ahead of schedule. This replaces a Samsung PX2370, which I tried for ~14 days before returning, and before that a large CRT. I returned the PX2370 mainly because of the non-uniform gamma when looking at it straight on (everything looked like it had a gradient applied to it -- dark at the top to light at the bottom). Based on reading the forum I'm assuming that was normal for a TN panel, but it drove me crazy. In that respect, this u2311h is light years better with uniform gamma/color as far as I my eyes can tell.

I haven't yet tuned my Windows 7 ClearType settings from where I had them for the PX2370, but even so, text already looks clearer / sharper to me.

The default brightness seemed somewhat dim, but I cranked it up a bit and I have no complaints (75 brightness and 75 contrast was the default -- I have it at 85/75 now).

I briefly tooled around in Team Fortress 2, and I didn't catch any obvious ghosting, though I'll put some real time into it soon; perhaps I'll notice something then.

The anti-glare coating is about what I expected based on an old 19" Dell monitor I have at work. It creates a kind of prismatic, grained shimmer, though it's ignorable. I don't really have the frame of reference to say whether it's stronger or different than any other anti-glare coating.

The stand is heavy, sturdy and allows for a decent amount of adjustment, twisting, tilting and roting (though rotated to 9:16 the monitor looks totally ridiculous :p).

I've found no dead / stuck pixels, and so far after about an hour of use I'm quite pleased. Oh, as an aside, with the coupon code discount, this u2311h was more than $70 cheaper than the PX2370 I briefly had.

I wonder if Dell took the U2311h off of their business site because of all the 20% off coupons.

I was thinking this as well. I've been checking the site every day in hopes of scooping one up with the 20% off coupon, but no luck so far.

Well this thing is finally on sale in Canada as part of dell.ca monitor of the week sale (we don't have the same coupon code and cash back option as in the states, at least I can't get my 10% one to work). Picked one up finally, seeing as how it was very back ordered anyways, so didn't mind holding out for a sale as much. At $290, it puts it lower then high end TNs like the PX2370/XL2370, so worth a buy.

I'm like the poster above, I just found the color/gamma shifting on TNs to noticeable at this size after trying out the PX2370. The one thing I will miss though is the instant warmup due to the LED back light.

Overall I don't think ghosting will be an issue, from what I understand from measurements the overall response of the u2311 is slightly better then 5ms TNs or 2ms TNs with overdrive off with no glaring weaknesses in certain colors (like pvas), which is in the acceptable range for me.

Based on the information and reviews I've read on this monitor, ghosting shouldn't be an issue at all.

I tried one of the Sam & Max episodic games -- it has a max resolution of 1280x960 with no wide screen options. Switching to 4:3 mode seems to make the aspect ratio look correct (it touches the top and bottom with black bars on the sides) though when you look at text it seems slightly smeared/blurry. As far as I can tell that's the same effect as with any non-native resolution, so as expected I guess. When in 4:3 mode, if you're viewing a 16:9 resolution it gets smushed to a 4:3 aspect ratio.

How does it look/behave if you select "do not scale" in the nvidia control panel and run at some random lower res (than native)...?

(assuming you have nvidia... don't know what it's called on ATI)

Got it finally. Will take a look at it tomorrow and post more detailed opinions, but the white and black colors look a LOT clearer than on my old 1280x1024. No dead/stuck pixels. Stand seems pretty good.

How does it look/behave if you select "do not scale" in the nvidia control panel and run at some random lower res (than native)...?

It was a bit odd for me at first. In the U2311H's Display Options, Wide Mode was set to Full [other being 4:3]. I changed from 1080p to 720p [doing it from W7 and Catalyst, testing both]. Both ways resulted in a smashed image sandwiched between black bars. I tooled around with various other resolutions, turned GPU scaling on/off, changed to 4:3 and back. When I went back to my original setting of 720p/Full, it scaled properly. ATI's GPU Scaling was turned off.

Not quite sure what the deal with scaling was, but now it seems to scale things below the native res fine with GPU scaling off. 4:3 resolutions get stretched, obviously, but you can just set it to 4:3 within the monitor's own wide mode option like with what solarwind said.

Anyway, really happy with my purchase. The U2311H fit my budget and needs for various types of gaming as well as movies. I've forgotten how nice IPS panels looked after starring at TN's for the last couple years... :p

As far as I can tell it has no effect. I have an older video card though -- a 7950gt -- maybe it doesn't support the various nvidia scaling features?

a 7950gt -- maybe it doesn't support the various nvidia scaling features?

That's indeed an old card, but the age of the card shouldn't matter when it comes to such features.
It's a driver thing, so as long as the drivers are new it should be the same regardless of what card one is using.

(of course, certain features work only because of new hardware that's been added to a new card and of course those features will
only work if your card has the hardware to support it... but features as simple as scaling are likely to just be a software-based alone.)

Hey guys, new poster- long time reader-- yadda yadda.

I'm a bit confused over the delays most of you are experiencing. I ordered 1xU2311H on 06/27/2010 and received it today, 07/01/2010. How the heck is that even possible? I also cheaped on the shipping as well. Not here to gloat, I'm just baffled at how this monitor got here so quickly..

I can only hope for similar results, Dell has mine set to arrive by the 20th :(
Can't wait though, I'm so sick of TN

One question for those that already have theirs, I see reports of reduced tinting when using the DP, is this the case with yours?

Any 20% of cupons for Canada? They are on for 290$ right now, but still don't want to pay that much for a panel that will most likely have issues...

I hate how Dell always changes their prices. I was looking at this monitor last week and saw it for only $260. Now it is back up to $320. I've been going back and forth between ordering this one or just going to Fry's and buying the VP2365.

Back