Dell U2311H

I'll only add that it sure was a lucky pick.
I felt the same way, that's why I contacted Simon immediately. I really am very ambivalent about this monitor, in theory it does everything I want but there is now so much history of poor quality control with these panels I just can't get excited about it. I thought about cancelling until I saw the TFT central review, at least there is a glimmer of hope that some units are adequate - and I say adequate rather than good because the review unit is unevenly bright.

EDIT: I'm revising my opinion, the review unit is actually poor quality - across a wide area it's 15%-30% darker than the centre point.

Last edited:
Used mine for a few days and it was OK. Had some tinting and uniformity issues which I probably could have lived with but yesterday it developed some corruption/artifacts so it's definitely going back now. Wondering what to replace it with NEC EA231WMi or HP ZR24W?

I need a new LCD Display to do the following:

1. Display native 1080P for my PC based Blu Ray Drive
2. Display PC images for PC Gaming, so I need a fast screen response, low input lag. If major PC games don't often support the 1080P resolution of the Dell U2311H, then I need to keep my Dell 2209 too. Hey, more screen real estate right? Not interested in resolutions much higher than 1080P-ish, cus then you have to scale down a lot. Native is better. I do have a 5850 GPU, but hey, it has limits.
3. IPS is preferred for awesome viewing angles.
4. Accept a PS3 720P gaming image without issues and scale it up to fit the screen, while maintaining Aspect Ratio. So I think 16:9 is more useful, cus I can scale to "Fill" and it will not stretch. I think.

Does the Dell U2311H do all this?

Last edited:
Are the quality control issues posted here, on par with what the Dell 2209WA did? I ordered one of those, and no issues. So what are my chances of a repeat success here in getting a perfect one?

Last edited:
So my main question is,

What happens when you feed a 720P PS3 Game Image to this Dell U2311H Display, using HDMI out on the PS3 to the DVI-D in on the Dell? Will it maintain the Aspect Ratio, keep the image nice and problem free, and scale to fill up the screen (We are talking 16:9 out image to a 16:9 Display)?

Last edited:
The U2311 is a 16:9 monitor with a resolution of 1920x1080. So there shouldn't be any stretching issues during scaling.

As to the quality control issues, this monitor if you really compare it spec wise to other monitors, and most notably the NEC EA231WMI (which I believe uses the same panel), is rather low priced. I guess something had to give, and that might have been quality.

It retails for the price of the Dell 2209WA, $300 US, but is much better resolution. Makes you wonder. But I did get my Dell 2209WA on sale for $220 (USA) Delivered. I guess your right, something happened to lower the cost, I'm hoping it was not cheaper quality control.

I would recommend against running to NEC if you didn't like your Dell. I just bought the NEC EA231Wmi last Friday and I'm returning it. I can not stand the ambient light sensor. I turned the ambient light sensor off but the monitor keeps changing brightness by itself. I have no idea why reviewers mark this as a positive. It's incredibly annoying.

My NEC also had a dead pixel in the center of the screen and tinting issues.

I'm going to wait another month and then maybe I'll buy the Dell U2311.

I decided a year of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu would be a better investment this month. Hopefully IPS panel quality improves soon.

I would recommend against running to NEC if you didn't like your Dell. I just bought the NEC EA231Wmi last Friday and I'm returning it. I can not stand the ambient light sensor. I turned the ambient light sensor off but the monitor keeps changing brightness by itself. I have no idea why reviewers mark this as a positive. It's incredibly annoying.
Dead pixel and tinting are understandble reasons, but if you don't bother checking the manual or simply browsing through all the OSD menus to realize you still have "auto brightness" or "eco mode" or both on... :rolleyes:

My NEC also had a dead pixel in the center of the screen and tinting issues.

I'm going to wait another month and then maybe I'll buy the Dell U2311.

I decided a year of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu would be a better investment this month. Hopefully IPS panel quality improves soon.

Sounds like you still have dynamic contrast turned on.

bum, just found out mine won't ship until next week. A bit disappointing, but the places with stock in hand are charging £30-£40 more than I'm willing to pay.

Just recieved it..

http://img132.imageshack.us/f/img2447l.jpg/

I cant say whether tinting issue exists but backlight bleeding exists.However it isnt dvi connection . VGA at 1280*800

http://img138.imageshack.us/i/img2449em.jpg/

Looks like some tinting but not as bad as some others. Mine was a lot worse. But it looks real dark on the left compared to the right.

I've come to the conclusion tinting isn't the main problem with these monitors. It's the lack of uniformity. The left side on all of these monitors is darker than the right. It seems like that is magnifying the tint issue. If the backlight was more uniform I don't think we'd notice the tint so much.

Dead pixel and tinting are understandble reasons, but if you don't bother checking the manual or simply browsing through all the OSD menus to realize you still have "auto brightness" or "eco mode" or both on... :rolleyes:

Auto Brightness was off... you also need to turn off dynamic contrast in order for auto-brightness to turn off. For some stupid reason one is dependent on the other. In any case I wasn't blown away with the picture quality. Hoping the Dell is better.

I was wondering why things look poor on my screen.. Well propably is because of the matte panel.. I am used with glossy..
I asked many people nobody knew. I saw some other screens also and had the same issue(samsung,lg etc)
I have 2 laptops with glossy screen and the colours are more continius and clear,but not accurate as dell screen.
So because noone could understand what i was talking about i took a close picture of my screen(white background)

At the left my glossy screen at the right the Dell u2311h
Well i dont know...

pixelia.png

I am from Europe.Well it was delivered within 24 hours for 240 euros...Good price as tn panels cost about this price up to 350 euros here.

I didnt order it from Dell because it is expensive at Dell store 300 euro.
From info i get

Date Of Manufacture: Week: 20, Year: 2010

I am from Europe.Well it was delivered within 24 hours for 240 euros...Good price as tn panels cost about this price up to 350 euros here.

I didnt order it from Dell because it is expensive at Dell store 300 euro.
From info i get

Date Of Manufacture: Week: 20, Year: 2010
That was a very sweet deal at 240 euros. Where did you get it from?

How is your unit like - is there tinting? uneven backlight?

Sorry, I didn't notice it was your pictures I had just been looking at. You do have some tinting and uneven backlight, but it is hardly the worst case I have seen.

Too bad Greece is a bit too far, though. That's the lowest price I have seen in all of EU.

Auto Brightness was off... you also need to turn off dynamic contrast in order for auto-brightness to turn off. For some stupid reason one is dependent on the other. In any case I wasn't blown away with the picture quality. Hoping the Dell is better.
And it still kept changing the brightness? Then you still must have had "Eco mode" on. If all these are off, it doesn't do it.

I am very content with my Dell 2209WA, but I am getting into Blu Ray and PS3 more, so Now I need a 16:9 1080P IPS Display. This seems like the perfect one, minus the issues reported, but my last one was a perfect, not a single flaw. So here is hoping lightning strikes twice. I just ordered up the U2311H. I will run the PS3 over the DVI-D input (720P for games, 1080P for Blu Ray), and the PC with Display Port via a XFX ATI 5850.

I canceled my order for the Dell U2311H, my research suggested that the backlight on my Dell 2209WA was better. My 2209WA uses more lamps in a more direct positioning (not side lighted with reflective material like the U2311H). It may not be that much of a downgrade, but then again, it brings home the point that if you have a Dell 2209WA that works perfectly with no flaws, this 1080P resolution upgrade is not a big enough upgrade to justify a roll of the dice (on quality control) purchase. I'll wait to afford a more upscale monitor.

My U2311H arrived much sooner than expected, but I had to wait until today for my DisplayPort cable to arrive but I just had a quick play to test everything is working, and first impressions are pretty good overall, with a few expected disappointments.

Compared with 2209WA I'm seeing positives:
  • crisper text out of the box
  • deeper black (I am more impressed by this than I anticipated)
  • cleaner whiter, white
  • haven't noticed any obvious colour tinting as yet
Predictably :
  • AG grain is similar to 2209 (I'm not a fan of this, but it's something we have to put up with)
  • uniformity is mediocre/poor, possibly similar to the TFT central review item
  • bottom left the polarizing filter is putting on orange sheen on black from my normal sitting position, though it doesn't look too bad with normal images.
  • polarizing filter is present but not as good as the old NEC 24/26 WUXi (and Hazro) and certainly no where near as good as the IPSα on my Panasonic TV
  • the slightly smaller height of the 16:9 ratio makes it feel smaller then the 2209
  • EU stock - says assembled in Czech Republic on the box
*** I want to stress my comments are based on 10-20 minutes look only ***

I just installed ATI Catalyst and the display drivers, then ran through EIZO monitor test looking for dead pixels and signs of non-uniformity that would compel me to return it immediately, and finally had flick through a few familiar web pages like BBC Sport.

I am somewhat relieved that this monitor is better quality than I expected, though I really was hoping for something more. At the moment I'm not sure if I prefer it to the 2209WA - it's not much of an upgrade, but I needed a monitor for a new system so this time I went with the higher resolution option. Anyone who has a 2209 or similar and thinking of upgrading: you may want to hold on to your pennies for a while longer and see if something better turns up, maybe even the blue phase LCD that's being promised for next year (it probably will because of the push to sell 3D)

Busy week this week with the World Cup group stages, so I may or may not get more detailed impressions and photos before the weekend.

So no obvious tinting. That's good news.

Given the feedback for these monitors, I'd say you got your hands on a fairly good unit.

My delivery date still says 7/22... I've been hoping it is just them being cautious so as not to delay again. I'll be very happy if I get an email within the next two weeks saying that my two monitors have been shipped, but I'm not holding my breathe. Two months is a long time to wait.

I ordered 2 on 6/12/2010 and my status says...
Est. Ship Date 07/08/2010 and Estimated delivery on or before 07/13/2010

Is the speckle/vertical rainbow bands, which I assume is from the AG coat, really as bad as the pictures are showing?

IanM - if pushed, would you go for the 2209WA or the U2311H? I still can't decide whether to go for the 2209WA (on the basis that it's a known quantity) or take a gamble on the U2311H. There's only about £35 difference between them at the moment. If it was just photography, I'd go take the 2009WA, but I'll be using it for blu-ray too...

would you go for the 2209WA or the U2311H? ...I'll be using it for blu-ray too...
probably the native 1080p in that case, particularly if you don't have an IPS monitor already. If you were merely looking for an upgrade to 2209 I'd say stick with what you have, but buying for a new system that doesn't have a monitor yet, then it's easier to say go for the U2311H.

You can buy the U2311H from Jigsaw for £242 inc. VAT and shipping. I'm happy so far with the service from Jigsaw - helpful and very attentive over email. There is an issue with monitor that I think is due to the courier (City Link) or possibly the distributor - the box arrived covered with bird crap! Box contents weren't damaged, so I think it's an aggravating issue but I'm not going to return the monitor unless I find a fault. I notified Jigsaw and they advised me to get in touch with their support if I have a problem with the monitor, so I'm not too worried if I do need to return it.

Note that Jigsaw don't appear to actually stock any monitors, almost all are to order. I ordered because it said availability is 4-7 days, though when I asked I was advised the official Dell delivery was the 21st, unofficially the 16th, but in the end I got my monitor last Thursday, the 10th!

If you need something urgently PCBuyIT might be the next best option - good pixel & and return policy and they do have stock for next day delivery. I used them before but I think they (and others) are charging way too much for the U2311H, and Dell's direct price is absurd.

I looked up the exchange rate history last week, surprisingly it was the same 12-18 months ago when I got a 2209, and actual prices were 10%-20% lower than they are now. 2209WA == U2311H by Dell's own pricing, but quality is has gone backwards. There is simply no justification whatsoever for the high prices of the U2311H.

Last edited:
Thanks mate - never heard of Jigsaw before, but I'll keep them in mind. I've got a T220 now, which was fine until I got more serious with photography.

Since the U2311H and the U2211H are similar, I figured I would ask in here. Has anyone gotten the U2211H? I'm interested in it but I want to know how the QC is on it. I tend to like finer dot pitch/pixels.

Since the U2311H and the U2211H are similar, I figured I would ask in here. Has anyone gotten the U2211H? I'm interested in it but I want to know how the QC is on it. I tend to like finer dot pitch/pixels.

I'd like to hear about this too from those that have gotten their hands on an U2211H.

Also, there's a video review of the U2311H up on YouTube if anyone has missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Q78-G1xHA

Back