Dell U2311H

I got mine yesterday. It's got some tinting but it's really subtle, and only on a gray filled screen. Biggest detractor IQ wise is some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. Every other corner is normal except for that one. It's only noticeable on black though.

The other thing to note is the stand. It's pretty high quality, except the screen doesn't sit 100% level horizontally, and the way the tilt function locks into place, doesn't look like there's an easy fix. We're talking a few millimeters off though.

But this is my first IPS screen, and the colors blew me away. Way more of an upgrade than I expected coming from my old TN. It's night and day, pretty much. For the price (discounted, anyway), there isn't much justifying a TN panel unless you REALLY need something physically larger. It's a full color display for the gamers, media enthusiasts, and really casual Photoshoppers of the market.

anyone care to post brightness/contrast/rgb settings if they changed em

Here ya go. I calibrated it with Sypder3 Pro

Red 78
G 75
B78
Brightness 36
Contrast 75

Picture of RGB, Kelvin and Luminance
sypder3pro.png

Link to download color profile to use
http://www.mediafire.com/?n3ymthizqjj

The other thing to note is the stand. It's pretty high quality, except the screen doesn't sit 100% level horizontally, and the way the tilt function locks into place, doesn't look like there's an easy fix. We're talking a few millimeters off though.

I fixed my screen when it was tilting by adjusting the metal bracket on the stand. If you remove the monitor from the stand, you'll see 4 screws in the center holding the bracket to the stand. Loosen each screw and rotate the bracket in the directon you are trying to adjust. Hopefully there is a little play in the bracket in the direction you need. Tighten the screws and enjoy! :p

I fixed my screen when it was tilting by adjusting the metal bracket on the stand. If you remove the monitor from the stand, you'll see 4 screws in the center holding the bracket to the stand. Loosen each screw and rotate the bracket in the directon you are trying to adjust. Hopefully there is a little play in the bracket in the direction you need. Tighten the screws and enjoy! :p
You're awesome, that did the trick. Thank you!

I am on the fence... Should I return it? Tinting is not really that bad, but the AG coating suxxxxx, makes reading text more difficult than my old Acer 20" P-MVA panel 1680*1050.
Do you guys think I can get another xVA panel from this size in the price range of this deal ( the 2311)?

Well it was a PITA but I got a replacement on the way. They said 3-5 days and I made the lady promise it wouldn't be a refurb. I think it's smart to return it soon before they have a stock of refurbs. I'm pretty sure in a month from now that's all people doing returns will get.

Honestly I don't know what this monitor would be good for. It's not a gaming monitor and it's got to many defects for graphic use. I mean you can't have an uneven tinted panel and be able to do any kind of color accurate work with it.

Either spend more money and get a better IPS panel or stick with TN because this u2311h sucks.
I'm going to dispel some misconceptions there. This most certainly is a capable gaming monitor. I did some input lag tests next to a 2ms TN panel. The difference is virtually nonexistent, and far beyond what's perceivable.

I also ran at a lower resolution to test at 75Hz, but the results were less conclusive. At some points the IPS panel gets ahead of the TN panel, and I think this is more an exercise of the latency of the scaling circuitry inside. I'll post the pics anyway though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled4.jpg

I'm going to dispel some misconceptions there. This most certainly is a capable gaming monitor. I did some input lag tests next to a 2ms TN panel. The difference is virtually nonexistent, and far beyond what's perceivable.

I also ran at a lower resolution to test at 75Hz, but the results were less conclusive. At some points the IPS panel gets ahead of the TN panel, and I think this is more an exercise of the latency of the scaling circuitry inside. I'll post the pics anyway though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Cybercat/Computer/scaled4.jpg

Your right, I should have come back and followed up on that. I played a few games with it last night and it was fine. Actually quite stunning in comparison to my old TN. If it didn't have tint issues or stuck pixels I'd be happy with it overall. That's why I'm taking a chance on a replacement. If I can get no stuck pixels and less noticeable tinting. I'll be happy with it.

both this monitor and the xl2370 are same exact price.. between these two what do you guys suggest?

also anyone know when coupon ends? :eek:

damn, need to know which one to get :( i read everything there is to exist on both and cant decide need someone else to tell me! :confused:

What are your needs? FWIW, I don't think I can justify getting the XL2370 unless you know a deal that I don't because the U2311H is so cheap with the coupon. And it's IPS.

For what it is worth I am no longer considering this monitor. Look into the (TN :() Dell P2210 or something similar that doesn't have this problem.

I'm not dropping the cash for three monitors that have tinting issues.

What are your needs? FWIW, I don't think I can justify getting the XL2370 unless you know a deal that I don't because the U2311H is so cheap with the coupon. And it's IPS.

Dell also has xl2370 on the website, you can use the coupon for either one, both EXACT same price so that is why im going insane.

my games and such.. normal stuff.

Dell also has xl2370 on the website, you can use the coupon for either one, both EXACT same price so that is why im going insane.

my games and such.. normal stuff.

Granted it will be panel to panel, I think the Dell U2311H is the better buy.

Here's how I see it, unfortunately, you need to make a decision before the end of the month (before the coupon expires). I am not sure how Dell will support selling someone else's monitor vs. their own.

The tinting on both of mine is not bad, and this is with no video drivers or calibration. I need to run more tests, but I am not too picky about this kind of stuff so I have to convince myself there are tinting issues in the first place. Basically, it doesn't bother me because I really can't tell.

I'll report back when I've run more tests and use the profile Makaveli posted earlier. Unless you're hardcore (aka you should be spending way more money), the U2311H is unquestionably better buy (better support, better options, stand adjustment etc.). Those things matter to me, not sure they do to you.

view angle means alot to me. however i'll wait another day or so before i make my purchase just to see what else will be posted by then

calibration helped my tinting issues a lot. For anyone have reservations about buying this panel, don't. For this price this is an awesome IPS monitor. If I had the money I would buy another.

Nice... I'll probably replace my XL2370, I hope U2311H won't be worse in any aspect (I don't game much, so I don't care about that few ms), I didn't thought that this monitor has WLED too... I wonder which monitor has more vibrant colors? Does anyone know?

So are all U2311H monitors LED-backlit or just the European models? Spec-for-spec it looks the same as the US model I bought which makes me think they're all the same, but I'd like to know for sure.
It is easy to determine if your screen is LED or not, if it has CCFL backlight you can see that when you turn on the monitor, it'll take a while for it to brighten up, and if it has LED you'll have the same colors and brightness instantly, when you turn on the monitor, just like after few minutes.

Last edited:
Got mine Monday (actually arrived on Friday, but I wasn't here to sign for it). So far I really love it. Very slight tenting, but I can't say I notice it. The only issue I'm having is the power button. It's off center, or otherwise messed up. Very hard to turn on/off. Worried that it will get worse and debating about doing a replacement on it.

It is easy to determine if your screen is LED or not, if it has CCFL backlight you can see that when you turn on the monitor, it'll take a while for it to brighten up, and if it has LED you'll have the same colors and brightness instantly, when you turn on the monitor, just like after few minutes.
I thought that was the case, but it seems like the monitor does take a little time to achieve maximum brightness. However, compared to another monitor which I know to be CCFL, the difference between the turn-on brightness and the stable brightness level is much less with the Dell, as is the time it takes to get there. Maybe I'm imagining things?

So are all U2311H monitors LED-backlit or just the European models? Spec-for-spec it looks the same as the US model
power consumption spec is quoted as 33w on the EU sites, so it looks like they are all the same. I think Dell may deserve some credit for not making a big fuss over the edge LED lighting, by now most people know it's only good for power saving and making displays slimline but there are still a few manufacturers trying to pretend it improves image quality.

However Dell's UK subsidiary have lost the plot with the pricing lately:
2209WA - £322
U2311H - £322
U2211H - £299
This is staggering! I paid less than £170 for a new 2209WA last year inc. a zero pixel defect guarantee! making it only slightly more expensive than the US + tax. Right now compare:
HP ZR22W - £230
HP ZR24W - £313
NEC EA231WMi - £285
LG 32LH3000 - £299

Last edited:
By the way, is the "ips glow" problem still the same with wled backlight?
For example watching a dark movie, in a dark room could be still worse than on a TN?

Is it possible to see all the black/white levels on lagom.nl tests?

Last edited:
Yup, it seems like this is the first LED IPS under $1000 other than the Apple 24".

Six of the 22 inchers in eyefinity will use less power than most single 30 inchers.

Hi everyone :)

I have a question. Is it possible to used a HDMI to DVI adapter cable and connect it to my satellite decoder ? I noticed the Dell website states that it supports HDCP via DVi and also supports 1080i. My satellite decoder HDMI port outputs in 1080i or 720p only. This should work right ?

I guess that explains the warm-up time I get with the monitor, as opposed to it being instant-on.
They already deleted it from the european website, so it ISN't wled, this isn't necessarily a big disadvantage though... I'm still thinking to replace my XL2370, black crush annoys me very much, both in movies and games

Nice, looks like a favorable review. Not much talk of tinting issues, strange. Maybe they got a good one, or it's not that big a deal after all. Can't wait for mine to get here next week. :)

Hmm...

Well in that review the Dell performed about the same as the NEC. It seems that the contrast ratio isn't maintained at very low luminance, but I'm not sure it'd matter much at below about 80cd/m^2 (and the Dell's contrast ratio is actually better than the NEC at that level).

I guess they got a good panel...

Edit: http://translate.google.com/transla...age=6&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1 - except in this review, wherein the Dell panel achieves a horrible contrast ratio at exactly 80 cd/m^2. - 0.15 black level here, and 0.09 in the above review, at the same 80 cd/m^2 (79 in above review). Good lord, that's an awful disparity!

Edit 2: Well... I finally bit. I hope I get a good panel. Hopefully I'll post some calibration results: I'm going to need to borrow/rent a colorimeter or other hardware calibrator (spyder3 maybe?) - any idea where I might start my search in SoCAL? I guess I'll start my search tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back