Dell U2311H

Just got my U2311H today.

Rev A01, Date of manufacturer is January 2011.

Appears to have very even back lighting, no color shift.

Chat i had with dell about a month ago

01/27/2011 05:52:47PM Eric Northey: "is the u2311h still suffering the back QA control on the tinting of the screens and the uneven back lights?"
01/27/2011 05:53:20PM Agent (S&P_Eligio): "no, all manufacture problems have been corrected."
01/27/2011 05:54:00PM Eric Northey: "if i do decide to order one of the monitors and it does come with this issue can it be replaced?"
01/27/2011 05:54:40PM Agent (S&P_Eligio): "yes, you have 21 days return policy"

Black background looks black and white looks white.

I have this setup next to my Acer G245H and so far imo the acer looks waaaaayyyyy better. The Dell has less backlight bleed by quite a bit though.

Do not have professional calibration tools at my disposal. so most calibration has been either done by eye or bye calibrations posted online.

Text doesn't seem to strain my eyes as much with the Dell though compared to the Acer, but colors "pop" way more on the acer. Benefits of the glossy screen perhaps.

Defiantly wasn't as impressed by this monitor when first turning it on as i was with the Acer, have been more entertained by the fact you can put the monitor in almost any position :p

There's a big visible difference with dell U2311H again a good TN LED like for example XL2370 or PX2370 ecc in frontal configuration ?

Ok I pulled the trigger. $280 shipped. What Rev is the newest one? Also I keep hearing about this monitor and buzzing. I hope that's not the case. Thanks...

Neither of my monitors buzz, though it may come with time.

My two-year-old Samsung 24" LCD monitor started buzzing but went away when I turned the brightness up. It again started buzzing a month later and I had to turn it up some more. Eventually, the only way I could keep it from buzzing is setting the brightness to 100.

Currently using these on my Dell:
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 75

So far so good!

So my U2311h came in and I'm trying to change the settings, but I'm getting the padlock symbol on every button? I'm going to install the monitor drivers, but I'm not even sure if that's what will solve my problem.

Edit: Wow this is pissing me off so much. I even tried this suggestion from a Dell Liason and my settings are still locked. WTF?!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/p/19354040/19779295.aspx

Tried multiple times and nothing has changed. The default settings are so bright, this monitor is hurting my eyes. Not a good first impression at all.

Last edited:
I just got my U2311H, and there is a vertical line straight through the middle of the screen that seems to shift the pixels 1-2 pixels to the sides and generally f*ck things up.. :(

Suck pretty bad after having a horrible experience with the last 3 samsung monitors I've bought..

Is there something I can do to fix this or is it simply a fault in the monitor?

Sharpness Comparison between U2311H and 2333T.

Dell
dell3.png

Samsung
samsung3.png

Dell
dell2.png

Samsung
samsung2.png

Dell
dell1u.jpg

Samsung

samsung1m.jpg

I have my 2311 hooked up with DVI, 2333T hooked up with VGA... still doing some testing so going to wait to jump to conclusions until I'm done testing. Overall impressions. They are both very good and have their advantages. For a triple monitor setup, the 2333T would make great cheaper side monitors combined with a Dell in the middle. But if you can get the 2311 for 200 bucks I'd just get more of them. They really are superior to the VA panels after calibrating. They can be calibrated to look very close, however the Dell will always have the more stable image from side to side, and the samsung will always have better contrast and more pop to the image with a bit of black crush when viewed dead on.. with the dell, it looks like there is a haze covering the screen which I did fix.. see below. Both produce very good images.

I fixed the hazy looking screen by changing 'standard' color profile to 'custom' using the settings on this page

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737

switching it from 'standard' got rid of the haze effect I was noticing, seemed to increase the contrast quite a bit, and made the Dell the clear winner over the Samsung and made it obvious why people prefer IPS panels over VA, even with the advantage in black levels the VA panels have. I must say the 'standard' setting kind of sucked though and made the samsung look really good. I was getting disappointed in the Dell. Now that that's fixed, the Dell is the clear winner. Better panel, better stand, no tint issues noticed either. A bit worse black levels on really dark scenes, but on those same scenes the samsung crushes black detail anyways so it's not like the deeper blacks help things out for those VA panels. Plus no gamma shifting at off viewing angles and zero black crush from head on viewing on the Dell making for a consistent image from side to side even at off viewing angles. Dell for the win! IPS panels for the win!

Last edited:
I have my 2311 hooked up with DVI, 2333T hooked up with VGA... still doing some testing so going to wait to jump to conclusions until I'm done testing. Overall impressions. They are both very good and have their advantages. For a triple monitor setup, the 2333T would make great cheaper side monitors combined with a Dell in the middle. But if you can get the 2311 for 200 bucks I'd just get more of them. They really are superior to the VA panels after calibrating. They can be calibrated to look very close, however the Dell will always have the more stable image from side to side, and the samsung will always have better contrast and more pop to the image with a bit of black crush when viewed dead on.. with the dell, it looks like there is a haze covering the screen which I did fix.. see below. Both produce very good images.

I fixed the hazy looking screen by changing 'standard' color profile to 'custom' using the settings on this page

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1275291737

switching it from 'standard' got rid of the haze effect I was noticing, seemed to increase the contrast quite a bit, and made the Dell the clear winner over the Samsung and made it obvious why people prefer IPS panels over VA, even with the advantage in black levels the VA panels have. I must say the 'standard' setting kind of sucked though and made the samsung look really good. I was getting disappointed in the Dell. Now that that's fixed, the Dell is the clear winner. Better panel, better stand, no tint issues noticed either. A bit worse black levels on really dark scenes, but on those same scenes the samsung crushes black detail anyways so it's not like the deeper blacks help things out for those VA panels. Plus no gamma shifting at off viewing angles and zero black crush from head on viewing on the Dell making for a consistent image from side to side even at off viewing angles. Dell for the win! IPS panels for the win!

404 Not Found

Also, the Samsung is Noticable sharper.
I would not get U23 for the sides if you do much reading.

link fixed. to me the text difference was negligible especially with my eyesight. Actually at first before calibration the dell had sharper text to my eyes. Like I said, both good monitors however I prefer the Dell due to lack of gamma shifting and no black crush when dark things such as this forum. The samsung has better contrast ratio for sure though. Not sure what I'm going to do with the monitor situation. 3 dells or 1 dell and 2 samsungs. either way is fine.

One things for certain.. eyefinity plus Just Cause 2 has got to equal win. I have to say I tried that before I die. lol

Last edited:
Stock, I read half of that article and didn't see what you're referring to. For the sake of this thread, can you explain please?

Stock, I read half of that article and didn't see what you're referring to. For the sake of this thread, can you explain please?

I just used the calibration settings there. With my monitor, in the color settings menu, changing the 'preset modes' setting from 'standard' to 'custom (rgb) made a big difference in the picture, like taking a fugly greenish greyish dusty film off the monitor.

Input Color Format: RGB
Mode Selection: Graphics
Sharpness: 50
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Response time: Overdrive
RGB: Custom
• R: 99
• G: 95
• B: 98

Yup, they outsourced their tech. support to India it looks/sounds like. Most God awful experience talking to them, I basically had to for my other monitor (which was like pissing into the wind) and got no where. Dell and Asus are now on my shit list for horrible support (amongst other things.)

dell home and dell business are two completely different things!
home has the worst support ever, outsourced, unreliable.
business support it's just amazing and never had a problem with them and it is located in the US and the tech are generally good.

but anyways, back to the topic. so stockwiz, you are saying that after proper calibration the u23 will outperform the samsung, is a $80 difference in price worth it?
is the u23 the best 23" IPS around then under $300? I guess there is no way of knowing what revision you will get from the outlet...

Last edited:
dell home and dell business are two completely different things!
home has the worst support ever, outsourced, unreliable.
business support it's just amazing and never had a problem with them and it is located in the US and the tech are generally good.

but anyways, back to the topic. so stockwiz, you are saying that after proper calibration the u23 will outperform the samsung, is a $80 difference in price worth it?
is the u23 the best 23" IPS around then under $300? I guess there is no way of knowing what revision you will get from the outlet...

You can take my opinion or leave it, but I have both those monitors too.

The U23 you want if you do anything with fast movement, or if you do photo editing and the like.

Otherwise, you want the 2333T. It has better contrast, WEAKER AG COATING (which means sharper text, and doesn't look sparkly.), and is $100 cheaper.

I just used the calibration settings there. With my monitor, in the color settings menu, changing the 'preset modes' setting from 'standard' to 'custom (rgb) made a big difference in the picture, like taking a fugly greenish greyish dusty film off the monitor.

Lowering the contrast (75 instead of 100) makes it look more hazy.
The increase in brightness is what helps it go away. Try it, bring them both up to 100.

The problem is, if you're not in a bright environment, it will hurt your eyes.. Not really a solution for most people.

If I'm missing something, please explain.

You can take my opinion or leave it, but I have both those monitors too.

The U23 you want if you do anything with fast movement, or if you do photo editing and the like.

Otherwise, you want the 2333T. It has better contrast, WEAKER AG COATING (which means sharper text, and doesn't look sparkly.), and is $100 cheaper.

yes icor, i saw your post on the other thread and that's why i was leaning towards the samsung, then wiz posted here his "magic" settings for the u23 and going through the thread and a couple of reviews i found i am concerned about a few things about the samsung:
- humming
- how good samsung customer service is, i dont have any experience with them
- overall better color of the u23 with these setting, but it seems you tried them as well

I cannot hear humming. I believe my other threads says if it does, you can return it as defective.
I have no idea about cust. service.
The U23 has better color, of course. The samsung looks much better for general use, though.

Got my U2311 yesterday. Zero dead or stuck pixels. And pretty much zero backlight bleed. My is Rev 01.

Got my U2311H today, 1 dead pixel in upper lefthand corner inch from top and 2 inches from left.

How picky to be? Im debating on returning. Or should i just be happy. I mean its not in that bad of a spot, but i still have about a month till my new computer so i could be picky if i wanted to be.

What would you do?

Hrm, I got 6 of these recently and one of them is significantly darker than the rest. ive played with contrast and brightness and with the rest at 75 75, this one at 100 90, it comes close but not quite.

Anyone else run into the differing brightness issue? Mine also have a slight purple red glow at the top , but only 2 of the 6 do, with the monitors in portrait mode.

I got mine yesterday and I'm not entirely sure what I think about it. Posting now using the standard preset, the bottom right corner is much lighter than the bottom left corner of the [H] black background. I'm sitting 1.5-2 feet from it and I would say that the color consistency is better than my TN E228WFP but there does appear to be some kind of image change as I move around. As I go left or right, the (right more noticeably) screen seems to darken a bit, which is to be expected.

Changing to RGB brightens the picture a lot - I'll have to play around with the settings some more. The AG coating is only noticeable if I look for it. It reminds me of my (Dell) laptop (1420) and monitor (E228WFP). I'll be able to compare it to an older Samsung (712N) next week. It might be on the stronger side of neutral, but the AG coating really isn't an issue IMO.

Just wanted to post and say thanks for these settings. So far, I really like them.

Just wondering, how do you set the response time to overdrive? I can't find it anywhere in the menu.

I don't see the response time setting either... I just copy pasted those settings right from that one site. All I've done is tweak brightness, contrast, and RGB values. Seems pretty good already, much better response time then the samsung PVA monitor sitting next to it. On my panel I've settled for

brightness 60 (I like mine bright, you may want it dimmer. Plus it helps hide the grainy AG coating)
contrast 100

R 89
G 90
B 90

These values seems to be the sweet spot for my particular monitor. I had the blue higher but found out I was wrong in doing so! :)

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/

If calibrated right using firefox the message posts will be 2 shades of grey.. I had them blue, but I was wrong, they should be grey. If the colors are set wrong they can appear any shade, or be washed out. The other areas of that page should be pure white like where the news articles are. Also the bookmarks bar on firefox should be somewhat greyish bluish compared to the page above (on firefox 4 with default theme)
Another site...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/

The shade of white/yellow where the catagories are listed alternates between a lighter shade of yellow and darker shade of yellow. The top of the page where the logo is should be pure white, different from these shades of yellow. On standard color profile they all have the same muddy shade of white/grey, with the yellow not all that apparent. They also blend together with the firefox bookmarks bar when in reality they are meant to be distinctly different shades of white.

It's easy to see that calibration is mandatory to bring out the subtle color shades that are apparent on a more properly calibrated monitor. Actually the 'standard' setting that the monitor comes with is one of the worst default settings I've ever seen in a monitor. Fortunately it's easy to fix. Any custom setting is better then the preset ones, just set it to 'custom' and put them all to 90 and you'll be fairly good right there. Damn close to perfect on mine. Don't leave it at 100, that washes shades of white out too. I'd go lower then the settings recommended in that other post of mine.. 99 and 98 are a bit high to have it set at at least on mine. I think I'm finally done editing, but I should take some pics too. :)

dell-u2311h-onscreen-controls.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought this monitor, but I'm not sure if the gamma's as good as it should be. I was comparing it with the tests on this page, but while the relative gamma level between colours is good, and the levels at 25% and 10% are pretty decent (around 2.25 or so), the 48% bars blend in at around 2.6. However, in the sharpness test on the same page, the circle blends in, as with this applet (more or less, at it's default settings).

Is this right? I wasn't expecting perfection in the gamma, but having heard it was pretty close to 2.2, I'm surprised it's off so much in that test. I'm using pretty much the same settings as everyone else (custom RGB, etc.) except I haven't adjusted my RGB values since I don't have any color meter.

u2311 %25 off on dell consumer

N1?0TJMCF7$2VJ

I think it was like $240

Finally got 3 at that price after waiting for weeks. $260 after tax, not bad at all.

Now I just hope mine do not have any problems. Shame on Dell for such bad QC.

Back