Dell Stackables Back!

gnome-

I hope you weren't trying to make any friends with that post. I consider that in very bad taste to come into a thread where many people have spent quite a bit of money on a product, only to try and downgrade that very product. I personally take it as an insult to my intelligence as I'm sure many others will to. Do you think we all just jumped on buying this monitor because it is a great deal without doing research first? Apparently you think we are just a bunch of mindless drones that just jump on a good deal. Do you think this many people would be buying this monitor if that majority of the things being said about it are bad? Highly unlikely as well. Maybe you didn't do your research. Maybe you are only trying to point out the negative to somehow comfort yourself since you didn't get a "good" monitor so now you are jealous of all those that have. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but it seems to me YOU are the one that didn't pay attention to what he had read. We all know about the issues, they are out there. We are all ready to deal with getting a "bad" unit and having to return it before we get one to our liking. I think that is a chance we have all decided is worth dealing with in order to get a "good" unit.

I know that I have researched this for over a month waiting for a good deal on it again. I would not be purchasing if the majority of the reviews I had read were negative. Again, I am sorry it didn't work out for you, but please take your ill will somewhere else.

/rant off

I read the first few sentences and started to ignore (better for my confidence that way). :p

JUST GOT MY CONFIRMATION ON BEING SHIPPED! At 7:15AM This morning.

Dell 2005FPW 20.1" Widescreen DVI LCD

$749 + $1 padding - 35% off S0BDZ6HBTFDPSL - $90 79VT3767HP833W = $397

There is a 8 in 1 card reader for $13.09 after an auto 20% or something to use for padding. If I only had my finances straight I really want to get this thing.

gn0me said:
The monitor that has been hyped is the 2405FPW. I've read almost nothing but good things about the 2405FPW. However, the 2005FPW has had a nice long history of being BAD. Sure, it works great for some people (mostly non-gamers), but for others (mostly gamers) it was a waste of time and money. I suppose you could call an 87+ page thread with a plethora of complaining regarding backlighting issues hype though. I don't think that's the kind of hype that you want in a monitor you just spent 400+ bucks on.

I would be a hypocrite not to mention the fact that I did read that thread before I bought the 2005FPW about a month ago, knew about the backlight bleeding issue, but I bought the monitor anyways because Dell had an awesome deal going on it. I figured, the monitor has been out for 7 months now, surely they have fixed this issue. However, the backlight bleeding was HORRIBLE on the monitor I received. I was not going to get sucked into the return / exchange merry-go-round just to get the "perfect" monitor after 3 or 4 tries. I returned the monitor for a refund after 1 day. It doesn't take long to notice your "black" screen is almost gray due to the severe backlighting issues. Dell is banking on the fact that most people will "just live with it" because they got a "good deal".

However, maybe Dell has unfucked themselves and resolved this backlight bleeding issue that has plagued this particular monitor since it's release. Maybe all of the people that pulled the trigger on Dells latest round of deals will actually get a GOOD monitor that has very little to no backlight bleeding issues. I really, sincerely, hope that you people get a monitor that is not a lemon.

Thanks for your input as you are surely entitled to your opinion.

BUT, I will refer to this as what I based my decision off of:
Dr.Evil said:

I don't doubt that some montiors have problems, it is completely possible that they do. With that being said though, I believe that the 87+ page "2005FPW Problem" thread to be mostly cluttered (no not everyone though) with people who read the thread or similar posts around the web and suddenly noticed thier monitors were bad or faulty when in reality it was not even noticed prior to reading.

Anyone who know anything about lcd/dlp/lcos technologies knows that blacks are always a little bit grey. Think about how "black" is created, it is by displaying no light by a particular pixel (ie not activating it). It sure can't be created by any color combination using light (that's how you get black's inverse, white) It's virtually impossible to get a true black with any of the above technologies unless you turn the damn thing off or dial down all of the other colors. If you want a truer black you have ONLY ONE option - CRT technology.

BTW this deal is BACK ON:
http://slickdeals.org/#p6085

Edit Deal is dead again.

gn0me said:
The monitor that has been hyped is the 2405FPW. I've read almost nothing but good things about the 2405FPW. However, the 2005FPW has had a nice long history of being BAD. Sure, it works great for some people (mostly non-gamers), but for others (mostly gamers) it was a waste of time and money. I suppose you could call an 87+ page thread with a plethora of complaining regarding backlighting issues hype though. I don't think that's the kind of hype that you want in a monitor you just spent 400+ bucks on.

I would be a hypocrite not to mention the fact that I did read that thread before I bought the 2005FPW about a month ago, knew about the backlight bleeding issue, but I bought the monitor anyways because Dell had an awesome deal going on it. I figured, the monitor has been out for 7 months now, surely they have fixed this issue. However, the backlight bleeding was HORRIBLE on the monitor I received. I was not going to get sucked into the return / exchange merry-go-round just to get the "perfect" monitor after 3 or 4 tries. I returned the monitor for a refund after 1 day. It doesn't take long to notice your "black" screen is almost gray due to the severe backlighting issues. Dell is banking on the fact that most people will "just live with it" because they got a "good deal".

However, maybe Dell has unfucked themselves and resolved this backlight bleeding issue that has plagued this particular monitor since it's release. Maybe all of the people that pulled the trigger on Dells latest round of deals will actually get a GOOD monitor that has very little to no backlight bleeding issues. I really, sincerely, hope that you people get a monitor that is not a lemon.

So it's a good thing Dell will replace it for free. For 400$, I really don't mind fussing with it for a bit.

gn0me said:
stuff posted...

I have to apologize to everyone in this thread for typing what was obviously the catalyst for this off topic rant. I'll be more careful in the future when I say things like "I hope it lives up to the hype" about a monitor that currently has no less than 7 threads dedicated to it on this forum alone. Clearly there is no hype. :)

On topic - my monitors shipping this morning. Should be here tomorrow/Thursday. I will report back asap.

gn0me - I searched and read all the pages you listed in your stupid effing post, and only 100 or so, out of 1,700 COMMENTED about backlighting, so how was that entire thread negatively reflecting the product? Or complaining about it?
Personally I read reviews, and I plan on purchasing one soon. As far as your opinion goes, you need to do some serious research before you go slandering a product. READ all the comments, instead of taking one or two and saying "OHHH IT'S GOT A PROBLEM, IT SUCKS, EVERYONE IS COMPLAINING, OMGOMGOMGOMG." Change your name to gn00b. Stfu, gg thx.

damn...i checked DHL when i woke up at said it will arrive tomorrow. walked downstairs.....and there it was...sittin in the front foyer!! THANK YOU DELL FOR THE FREE 1 DAY AIRBOURNE EXPRESS! wooooo

gn0me said:

Hmmn I had my 2005FPW for about 3 months and it started to have the backlight issue, called Dell talked to to CS person. THREE I repeat THREE days later I had a new monitor on my doorstep and it look prestine, and ask yourself how many companies would continue to overnight monitors until you go the magic jelly bean you where looking for? I hate Dell as much as the next guy but, the monitor and the customer support is great. How great you ask, Because of the this deal and the my past experince I have another 2005FPW on the way (also a 19" not sure what to do with it, but to good of deal to pass up) for a nice Dual Monitor action.

OMG OMG OMG! I received mine today! Holy hell, 1 day shipping!

(Came from Waco to Houston)

Dell kicks major *** delivering to Houston - I'm impressed.

Cool - just got up it, and wow.

Now, this is my first LCD ever - and I have one dead pixel. Is this bad? It's in the lower left and I didn't notice until I tested it.

Nano_PC_Solutions said:
Cool - just got up it, and wow.

Now, this is my first LCD ever - and I have one dead pixel. Is this bad? It's in the lower left and I didn't notice until I tested it.

You can try rubbing it alive, it sometimes works. Not to hard or you will screw up the LCD but just lightly.

Got an e-mail this morning stating that the item I used for padding (Linksys KVM switch) had shipped, but never a word about the FPW2005. For those of you that haven't gotten a tracking number, you can use your order number from Dell as a reference number at the DHL site. Sure enough, using that method, I discovered that my monitor was on the truck and scheduled for delivery today. I ordered Saturday afternoon and I'm near Houston, TX so I expected I'd get it fairly quickly. Had to make a lunch run so I hung the sign on the front door at 12:10 saying I'd be back at 12:30 and when I got back at 12:25, there was the big yellow truck. Never fails - if I hadn't been able to check the DHL site using the reference number, I'd have been gone my normal full hour and missed it.

Got it hooked up and then downloaded the latest version of Powerstrip in order to get 1680X1050 on my ancient Matrox G450. Looks fantastic in its native mode and, boy, will I be glad not to have to slide back and forth all the time when viewing schematics in Adobe that are meant to be printed on 17" paper. I set the display to use Clear Type for font smoothing, but I may change it back. Without CT, the fonts were almost harsh looking. CT smoothed them out quite a bit. Would be interested to know what others are doing.

Gonna drag it to the house tonight and hook it to my Xbox. All my album art should look really sweet in Xbox Media Center. That will probably cost me since I'll have to buy another one.

Thanks to all of you folks here for the heads up on the sale - I'm loving this baby!

I made 2 seperate orders so my total came to $820 instead of $1020. If your order is over $1000, you can't use the $90 off coupon. So 2 seperate orders cost me $7 more in shipping and another $11 for a fluffer item, but I saved $180.

Says ship date is Monday the 23rd? WTF?

DevilDoc said:
What do you think a used 19" CRT would go for? Once this comes in I'm gonna get rid of the monster sitting on my desk.

~$50-75 depending on model, condition, and who you sell it to.

acually just the padding, all of which mailed seperatly, was delayed. but stupid me with my headphones missed the first UPS delivery >_<

Why'd I have to go and do a stupid thing like that?!!

Two words: "impulse buy"

Well, I missed the Thursday boat, my estimated ship date is Monday the 23rd.... agh I can't wait!!!

have hope. my ship date was 5/19 on a 5/14 order, but it shipped 5/16 and i just found out it was delivered at 2pm CST. awesome.

in houston, shipped from waco.

Zinn said:
Why'd I have to go and do a stupid thing like that?!!

Two words: "impulse buy"

Well, I missed the Thursday boat, my estimated ship date is Monday the 23rd.... agh I can't wait!!!

Same here. Though, I'm 15 so this is a very big purchase for me.

My order has been delayed. I got an e-mail saying the monitor will not ship until the 24th but may ship a few days earlier, which is next week...
Should I ask for upgraded shipping or something, or will they do it automatically?

EDIT: I ordered on Saturday night.

dariob said:
~$50-75 depending on model, condition, and who you sell it to.

Thanks for the input, that's about what I figured.

Check the FSFT forum for an excellent deal on a mildly used 19" monitor!!!
</shameless-self-promotion>

Actually, I put it up on craigslist, hoping someone local to me would want it. I don't want to screw around with shipping a heavy assed monitor.

Well, I've been eyeing the 2005FPW for some time, just didn't have the money. But in a wonderful stroke of luck I just won a 660 person/ 5 dollar buy in texas hold'em tournement online, first place, $760 bucks.

I'm happy. I will probably have to wait for the next deal though, by the time I get the money.

PawNtheSandman said:
I made 2 seperate orders so my total came to $820 instead of $1020. If your order is over $1000, you can't use the $90 off coupon. So 2 seperate orders cost me $7 more in shipping and another $11 for a fluffer item, but I saved $180.

Says ship date is Monday the 23rd? WTF?

Yeah, this is what I did too. And that's also my ship date, but I for some reason got 2 order numbers in each confirmation, so I think the monitors and paddings (camera cases!) are gonna ship separately.

I got mine today!!! Issue is it has backlight issue!!! bah!!! what luck I have. Trying to do online customercare to see if I can get an exchange .

Guys i added DSLR REBELXT but i can't stack coupons. 15% works fine but then 90$0ff doesn't work? How come? did they remove specific code for digital cameras?

POssibly expired. I remember one of the canon ones expired on the 16th.

n64man120 said:
Mines coming today, to people who got it already... does UPS make you sign for it?

yeah they do, mines coming today too and i called ups to have them hold it for me cause its easier for me to just pick it up from their depot, but they have to make at least one attempt first... and dell requires an actual live person to sign for the package.

think I already said this, but I guess I will be going to UPS tonight for mine. Hope those guys dont break it.

My cousin who used to work at UPS always said "Fragile is Italian for "Kick It"'

I got 2 emails this morning. My original ship date was the 23rd, the email said they were shipped the 17th.

Horray me.

Back