Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

So here we go. Received unit a few hours ago and got it all set up. Knock on wood. I believe I received a Jesus unit and I hope it stays that way. No stuck or dead pixels, no buzzing, hdcp compliant and a very recent build. Revision A03 built in May 2016. Once setup and calibrated. I fired up The Witcher 3 and my jaw hit the floor. Stunning, glorious etc etc. Wow just WOW! Gsync is absolutely amazing and worth every penny.

Smooth as butter. Coming from my previous Dell U2415 IPS panel. I can certainly notice color shift. I can deal with it though. Its really not that bad and all about how you sit or look up etc. I certainly will not miss the IPS glow. Blacks are blacks. Its nice. Out of the box. The gamma was horrendous. No surprise here and well documented. After calibration. Comparing the results and seeing the before and after.

It was a dramatic difference. I cant stress that enough. Its very close to my IPS monitor now. TN has come a longggggggg way. WOW! To say how pleased I am with this beauty is a understatement! Calibration was done by Colormunki Display. I would only suggest using my profile if you have a A03 version panel. A01 and A02 could be really different. I am not sure. You are still free to try it out if you like regardless of version!

Targets

2.2 gamma, D65, 120cm brightness

Calibration done using factory defaults. RESET to factory defaults first. All you need to do is adjust brightness and load the ICC profile. Factory brightness was blazing at a whopping 304cm!

Results

Brightness 21 which put it at 121cm. 20 brightness put it at 117cm. Leave contrast alone at factory level. Its fine and does not need adjustment.

ICC profile attached. Follow this article to activate it with in Windows. Using ICC Profiles in Windows - PC Monitors

http://www.filedropper.com/dells2716dgd65 ICC profile

there are two from acer, two from asus, and one from eizo. why on earth does the market need another?
Atrocious back light bleed QC problems from acer and asus. Eizo is insanely expensive. Gamer look that is not to everyone's taste. That's why we need more. No one is making the monitor properly yet. If someone were to make the monitor to those specs without worrying about back light bleed and the disgusting gamer look, I'm in. I think Dell would be the one to pull this off. Nice clean looking monitors without waving a flag that says HEY IM A GAMER!!!@111one1.

Atrocious back light bleed QC problems from acer and asus. Eizo is insanely expensive. Gamer look that is not to everyone's taste. That's why we need more. No one is making the monitor properly yet. If someone were to make the monitor to those specs without worrying about back light bleed and the disgusting gamer look, I'm in. I think Dell would be the one to pull this off. Nice clean looking monitors without waving a flag that says HEY IM A GAMER!!!@111one1.
it will have backlight bleed and IPS glow like every other one. it's a waste of time.

it will have backlight bleed and IPS glow like every other one. it's a waste of time.
IPS glow I don't mind, back light bleed is another story. Sorry, but backlight bleed is NOT normal. It is a result of shitty build quality.

I just purchased one of these via a deal I saw on Slickdeals / Reddit -- .

I'm looking forward to the minimalist look of the monitor, plus the IPS-like performance of the TN panel, likely without all the quality control issues of the other performance 1440p monitors. We'll see how it all plays out though when I get it this week.

So I'm thinking about buying this monitor and making the move from 1080 to 1440. Is it really that big of a difference, or am I really playing it up in my head and should just stick to 1080? Rig is in my signature and I have an acer 1080 144hz gsync monitor.

So I'm thinking about buying this monitor and making the move from 1080 to 1440. Is it really that big of a difference, or am I really playing it up in my head and should just stick to 1080? Rig is in my signature and I have an acer 1080 144hz gsync monitor.

I had a 1440p monitor at work, and a 1080p monitor at home for a while and it was truly painful coming back to the lower resolution. We're talking 3,686,400 pixels versus 2,073,600. It's a huge difference.

Just make sure you have the video card to handle it, if you're gaming!

I had a 1440p monitor at work, and a 1080p monitor at home for a while and it was truly painful coming back to the lower resolution. We're talking 3,686,400 pixels versus 2,073,600. It's a huge difference.

Just make sure you have the video card to handle it, if you're gaming!

I have gtx 980ti with ano i7 3770k @ 4ghz and 16 gb ram.

The one the left is the lighter coating. And THANK GOODNESS for this. Im feeling kind of temptes to get one now... :(

I called Dell last night and mentioned the "buzzying" issue, rep cut me off within few seconds and said they will send a replacement panel - refurbished but I have no problem with that as long as it is A02 or A03. It should be here this week.

How does this compare to the Asus ROG PG278Q? I'm about to pull the trigger on a $499 ASUS ROG manufacture refurb, but can get this for $20 more new plus tax. I'm coming from a non gsync VG248QE and use the crosshair overly quite frequently for fps. The current Asus monitor I have has been good to me and was also a refurb.

How does this compare to the Asus ROG PG278Q? I'm about to pull the trigger on a $499 ASUS ROG manufacture refurb, but can get this for $20 more new plus tax. I'm coming from a non gsync VG248QE and use the crosshair overly quite frequently for fps. The current Asus monitor I have has been good to me and was also a refurb.
It's supposed to have pretty much the same internals as the PG278Q, with 3D support as well, though it's not stated anywhere for some reason, but no overlay as you said.

Edit: you do get an HDMI port that the PG278Q doesn't have if that matters to you

It's the lighter AG coating of the A02, A03 revisions that makes the biggest difference.
All the other TN (except not sure about the 23.8'' 1440p) still use the standard medium AG coating.

Where does this monitor fall in comparison to the PG279Q and Dell UltraSharps in terms of color? I've had both so would like a frame of reference if anyone can chime in.

Purely in terms of color, the PG279Q and UltraSharps will win because they're IPS panels, which offer 10-bit colors. This panel is a TN with 8-bit colors. Modern TN panels can offer really great IQ, but it's still not 100% of the sRGB color space (it's around 93-96% from the reviews I've read).

It's the lighter AG coating of the A02, A03 revisions that makes the biggest difference.
All the other TN (except not sure about the 23.8'' 1440p) still use the standard medium AG coating.
It looks great. You'll be able to notice right away. White looks white and not some grainy stuff.

Where does this monitor fall in comparison to the PG279Q and Dell UltraSharps in terms of color? I've had both so would like a frame of reference if anyone can chime in.
Purely in terms of color, the PG279Q and UltraSharps will win because they're IPS panels, which offer 10-bit colors. This panel is a TN with 8-bit colors. Modern TN panels can offer really great IQ, but it's still not 100% of the sRGB color space (it's around 93-96% from the reviews I've read).
the PG279Q is 8 bit and most UltraSharps are 8 bit. 10 bit monitors are expensive and useless for 99.9% of use-cases. IPS > TN for color but mostly in terms of gamut and vertical viewing angles. yes, IPS is also more accurate but the difference between this Dell and the PG279Q is very small once calibrated (0.3/0.8 PG279Q, 0.6/1.7 avg/max delta E). more people need to understand, however, that Dell's factory calibration on this particular monitor is absolutely horrible. if you don't have a way to calibrate and don't need the HDMI port i would strongly recommend buying a PG278Q as it has near-perfect factory calibration. maybe this has improved in the new revisions but i doubt it. basically the only noticeable difference color-wise will be that the TN looks less saturated.

is this still best recommendation for 1440p 144hz 27 inch g-sync?
I am looking for g-sync monitor. Not sure if I want 1080p/1440p or what size. I just know that I hate ips glow(had dell u2312hm) and bad backlight bleed.
My 1060 g1 would also not be able to push 144fps in most recent games (I do not play esports), so I would like to have g-sync.

Problem is that there are no g-sync VA monitors... and ips is crap (or I just have a grudge). In 2007 I had samsung 226bw, which was good TN panel at the time and I hated viewing angles. but now I have different desk, apartment and I never view monitor from below.

So maybe it's worth looking at dell dell s2716dg or 2417dg ?

I have had this monitor for awhile now and can find nothing wrong with it. This is the biggest screen I have ever had and am really enjoying it. Primary focus is gaming and it works quite well. If you get one i hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

I picked up two 24" Dells because I really liked how Divinity Original Sin 2 looked on a 1440P TN the 27" Swift I have was too big for me and I lost interest or focus in games.

I picked up two 24" Dells because I really liked how Divinity Original Sin 2 looked on a 1440P TN the 27" Swift I have was too big for me and I lost interest or focus in games.

I've seen a lot of feedback that for one reason or another favored the 24 over the 27 with these Dells.

Picked this monitor up for 350 on Black Friday and boy am I happy. My heart is still set on 4k G-sync 100hz monitors of the future. I'm sure I can resell this monitor for at least 300 bucks.

Back