Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

If you had to choose between your ROG Swift and your Qnix to live with as a single monitor, which would you choose?

Swift. i don't even use my QNIX anymore. considering selling it. my only real problems with the PG278Q (which is basically the same as the Dell), if i'm not forgetting anything, are:

the AG coating (same as the Dell) is stronger than i would like but it's only really noticeable on bright, homogeneous patches of color. easy to get used to but i do miss the glossiness of my old VG236.
viewing angles obviously but they are really not an issue unless you only view your screen by slouching in your chair 2 feet below the monitor. once again only really noticeable on large patches of homogeneous color.
backlight uniformity; with any sort of smooth movement on the screen when it is displaying large patches of homogeneous color you can see dark/light patches on the screen, only discernible if both of those conditions are met so the only time i really notice it is when using middle click scroll in chrome.
oh and i wish that the stand would let me drop the screen down a bit further, dunno how the stand is on the S2716DG.

i think that's about it. nothing really major at all. factory calibration was very, very good other than the gamma was a bit off. after gamma correction it looks almost identical to my QNIX side-by-side. personally, as i've stated a few times before, i absolutely cannot stand IPS glow, which is why i went with the PG278Q over an XB270HU.

Last edited:
Yes I never had one which goes so low over the desk before Dell which is very useful for TN screen

Well, I've officially ordered this monitor! I mean a TN panel is a slight compromise, but I couldn't care... I'm getting a 1440p 144hz monitor with G-Sync. The question now is, do I keep, or sell my ACD... who knows. At least I know Dell generally stands behind their product in the event something goes wrong.

Dude, I'm getting a Dell!

Using an nvidia card, this gives me some great results:

On Screen Display: Brightness 26(60) / Contrast 75 / Red 97 / Green 97 / Blue 96

Nvidia Control Panel: Brightness 40 / Contrast 37 / Gamma 0.80 / Digital vibrance 53% (+3%)

Can you elaborate on the Brightness 26(60) setting please.

Last edited:
Is ULMB locked out of this display when it is connected to an AMD or Intel GPU over DisplayPort like it is on the Swift?

Picked up one the other day; It's amazing how far TN panels have come since i've last used them. This TN panel beats out my older ZR24W IPS panel in quite a few areas besides just refresh rate.

My only complaint is that i've been using a true 10-bit panel the last few years and i've forgotten how much color banding 8-bit content/panels have.

A friend of mine picked up this monitor and I was pleasantly surprised with it, especially for it being a TN panel. I think I may be looking into getting one of these in the near future for me as well.

Yeah it's good display as long as price stays 200$ below 144Hz IPS ;)

I don't know; I have quite a few IPS panels including the new 27'' 10-bit ultrasharp and i'm really impressed with this TN panel. If I were to put it side by side few year older higher end IPS panels it would be a tough choice.

IMO I don't mind paying a bit more for a Dell or the enterprise level HP's as their support/RMA policy is far better even if i'm getting essentially the same display.

Last edited:
Received my 2nd monitor and this one is perfect.

Last edited:
Bought one of these last night off eBay from Adorama for $529.99. Fingers crossed for a good panel!

Bought one of these last night off eBay from Adorama for $529.99. Fingers crossed for a good panel![/QU
I also this morning bought one off EBay from Adorama.

I did but decided to return it since it had a dead pixel and annoying buzz. Then I ordered another one for $520 from jet.com and this one is perfect except for a buzz at low brightness.

Last edited:
I couldn't get one for $520 on Jet. Best price I could get was $531.27. E bay was still cheaper and I knew of the company.

I picked mine up from jet.com two weeks ago . $509 shipped after discount codes :happy:

I got one from amazon, supper happy no dead pixels or any other issues that I noticed. It is like night and day coming from a 1080p 60 hz monitor, best upgrade I have made in a long time.

Looking for some advice, just purchased this monitor cause i got a deal i couldnt pass up. My question is im running an AMD 290x and wondering if im missing out huge on not having free-sync. Im coming from an old crappy 22" 60hz and ive never even seen or used a 1440p or 144hz. Am i gonna be blown away and just be happy with what i have or should i look into selling/trading it out for say an Asus MG279Q? or make the switch to nvidia? I'm not a fanboy of either, whatever gives me the best performance for the $$

Thanks

Last edited:
Bought one of these last night off eBay from Adorama for $529.99. Fingers crossed for a good panel!

I jumped on this deal as well and I've been pretty happy with it so far. Now I need to upgrade my computer so that I'll get to make full use of its capabilities.

I took the plunge and bought one. Was delivered 2 days ago and it's all I hoped for. My opinions are coming from a Dell 27" 1440p 60hz IPS for the past 3 years. The viewing angles are much better then the old TN panels I had before. Horizontal is spot on and vertical is a very slight gamma shift at the top and bottom. Most of the time not even noticeable, just on certain color backgrounds and take note that I'm sitting directly in front and the middle of the monitor is exactly across from my eyes. The colors have slightly less "pop" then my old IPS. Once again not my much. This monitor has much deeper blacks then my IPS and no glow in the corners too. That's a nice plus. I notice no screen uniformity issues in regards to pixel inversion or clouding but I see a extremely slight edge bleed along the bottom near the dell logo that about 5 inches long, I really can't even capture it on camera that's how slight it is, never noticeable unless the screen is completely black. No dead pixels either, checks numerous times with different solid colors

One thing to take note is the factory brightness is crazy high at 75%. Enough to blind you. I find the comfortable spot of 25% and also take note my house stays pretty dark with my curtains so it will need to be bumped up a bit for brighter areas however I can't see anyone needing higher then like 40%. I also have the contrast at 75%. I went into NCP and upped the "Digital Vibrancy" to 60% and lowered the gamma to 90%. This make the colors pop much more then factory. Overall I will take the slightly less color pop and viewing angles over better blacks, no IPS glow.

Gaming with 144hz and G-Sync is something you need to see and feel for yourself. This is my first time using it and it's awesome dipping below 60fps and it still being super smooth unlike before when the moment I dipped to 59fps or lower it was a stutter fest, nice feature here!

I do have to mention something that is just strange, It's hard to explain but I try try my best. When I'm on the internet with both Firefox and IE and I'm for example looking at the forum boards and I scroll with the mouse I see some weird light trailing lines on the black text, almost like a shadow. It only happens when there is black text on white background. Once the scroll is complete and the screen image is static it's back to looking normal. I don't notice it at all in games. I also noticed that the monitor settings for the pixel response time has two settings, normal and fast. When I have it set to fast the issue is more obvious and much less with the normal setting. Not a deal breaker by no mean but just odd, I never saw this before with my previous monitors.

Nice picture to show color depth and contrast

Nice photo to show the black level, notice deep blacks and no IPS glow!(solid black wallpaper with small window open)

Last edited:
I took the plunge and bought one. Was delivered 2 days ago and it's all I hoped for. My opinions are coming from a Dell 27" 1440p 60hz IPS for the past 3 years. The viewing angles are much better then the old TN panels I had before. Horizontal is spot on and vertical is a very slight gamma shift at the top and bottom. Most of the time not even noticeable, just on certain color backgrounds and take note that I'm sitting directly in front and the middle of the monitor is exactly across from my eyes. The colors have slightly less "pop" then my old IPS. Once again not my much. This monitor has much deeper blacks then my IPS and no glow in the corners too. That's a nice plus. I notice no screen uniformity issues in regards to pixel inversion or clouding but I see a extremely slight edge bleed along the bottom near the dell logo that about 5 inches long, I really can't even capture it on camera that's how slight it is, never noticeable unless the screen is completely black. No dead pixels either, checks numerous times with different solid colors

One thing to take note is the factory brightness is crazy high at 75%. Enough to blind you. I find the comfortable spot of 25% and also take note my house stays pretty dark with my curtains so it will need to be bumped up a bit for brighter areas however I can't see anyone needing higher then like 40%. I also have the contrast at 75%. I went into NCP and upped the "Digital Vibrancy" to 60% and lowered the gamma to 90%. This make the colors pop much more then factory. Overall I will take the slightly less color pop and viewing angles over better blacks, no IPS glow.

Gaming with 144hz and G-Sync is something you need to see and feel for yourself. This is my first time using it and it's awesome dipping below 60fps and it still being super smooth unlike before when the moment I dipped to 59fps or lower it was a stutter fest, nice feature here!

I do have to mention something that is just strange, It's hard to explain but I try try my best. When I'm on the internet with both Firefox and IE and I'm for example looking at the forum boards and I scroll with the mouse I see some weird light trailing lines on the black text, almost like a shadow. It only happens when there is black text on white background. Once the scroll is complete and the screen image is static it's back to looking normal. I don't notice it at all in games. I also noticed that the monitor settings for the pixel response time has two settings, normal and fast. When I have it set to fast the issue is more obvious and much less with the normal setting. Not a deal breaker by no mean but just odd, I never saw this before with my previous monitors.

Nice picture to show color depth and contrast

Nice photo to show the black level, notice deep blacks and no IPS glow!(solid black wallpaper with small window open)
it's called overshoot, a side effect of overdrive which is used to reduce pixel response times.

Set to normal I didn't really notice any overshoot, you can easily see it in certain situations when it's set to fast. I usually leave it set to fast since I prefer the better pixel response times and only set it to normal if a game has a colour scheme that really shows up the overdrive.

For anyone who owns this monitor is the TN panel good enough or is IPS really worth the extra $200? I've seen mixed reviews all over the web about this one being high quality etc. There's no local shops in my area that have IPS on display so i can see the different in person

For anyone who owns this monitor is the TN panel good enough or is IPS really worth the extra $200? I've seen mixed reviews all over the web about this one being high quality etc. There's no local shops in my area that have IPS on display so i can see the different in person

I could not answer since I have never seen an IPS, all I can say is I am very satisfied with this monitor, looks amazing to me, then again I came from a 4 year old asus 1080p 60hz TN

I could not answer since I have never seen an IPS, all I can say is I am very satisfied with this monitor, looks amazing to me, then again I came from a 4 year old asus 1080p 60hz TN

Thats kinda what im thinking myself. My current monitor isnt even that nice. its like 1050p i think lol Very old 21 or 22" acer that is finally going out.

Check out my mini review of the previous page. Sum it up, not worth $200 more for IPS in my opinion and that's from someone coming from an IPS for years and honestly having a monitor without the IPS glow is a breath of fresh air, nice playing dark games or movies and not seeing the glow anymore so to me IPS isn't worth it no matter how little the difference in cost is, even if they were the same price I'd still get this TN panel

Pro's

Deeper black level
Faster response time
No IPS glow

Con's

Less viewing angle

So to me the pro's outweigh the con's

Last edited:
by the way i was curious if anyone knew I hooked up my older asus 1080p monitor along with this to have a dual setup, but now if i set the dell to 144hz, my 980ti card clocks never go down to 135 and runs much higher around 800. The only fix is to have my dell run at 120 hz

Is there a way to fix that? It was fine with 144hz when it was a single monitor?

Thanks

I look at my wife's NEC 302W and this monitor looks other look like shit.
by the way i was curious if anyone knew I hooked up my older asus 1080p monitor along with this to have a dual setup, but now if i set the dell to 144hz, my 980ti card clocks never go down to 135 and runs much higher around 800. The only fix is to have my dell run at 120 hz

Is there a way to fix that? It was fine with 144hz when it was a single monitor?

Thanks

No for the time being. I wouldn't bother with 144Hz.

Even though I'm not a fan of Dells anti-glare coating and the fact it's TN panel, this still seems to be the top runner in my reserach.

Seems the prices went up lately -- amazon is showing $570 shipped. Ebay through popular sellers is $599 it seems. Tempted to buy now -- as I get 5% cashback on amazon purchases through the end of march. Will probably wait 6 months though, because even though they aren't uber high quality, my Qnix 1440p monitors OC'd to 96Hz are holding me fine.

Thanks

Set your nvidia panel setting to be 120 fps on desktop and maximum possible in games.

So I take it anyone with this monitor has overshoot but not everyone notices it?

yes I noticed it and I didn't like the overshoot that's always there, so the only way around that is use ulmb. then you wont have it there! I took mine back because of shimmering screen coating and vertical contrast/gamma shift, as it wasn't noticeable to much in gaming, but for desktop use it was doing my eyes in so got a refund, I would get the screen again but only for gaming, and use another screen for browsing/reading, but that's my opinion everyones different thou...!!!

yes I noticed it and I didn't like the overshoot that's always there, so the only way around that is use ulmb. then you wont have it there! I took mine back because of shimmering screen coating and vertical contrast/gamma shift, as it wasn't noticeable to much in gaming, but for desktop use it was doing my eyes in so got a refund, I would get the screen again but only for gaming, and use another screen for browsing/reading, but that's my opinion everyones different thou...!!!

I started with two displays (Dell + my old MVA) with dell being used only for gaming but now I really like how everything looks with ULMB enabled so now second screen is only used when I switch Dell to g-sync mode.

I picked up this monitor the other day. I'm waiting to upgrade video card, but also not sure what happened the other morning before work?

Along the right side of the screen, there was a vertical column that had a bunch of horizontal lines as thick as the scroll bar, kinda flashing colors. I minimize Google Chrome and every other window I had open and this strange thing was also happening on the desktop.

I messed around with the hdmi cable and restarted both the monitor and pc. It went away, but kinda had my scared. When I returned from work, I played some bf4 and didn't notice that happen again. Should I be worried?

Also, when something fast is happening on the screen, there are tiny little lines around where the action is... This is my first 1440p 144hz monitor and not sure if that's supposed to be happening? I'm not using an Nvidia card and I'm connected via hdmi

No, I don't have an Nvidia card yet. I'm running this monitor with an xfx 7850. In waiting to pick up a pascal card, hopefully before I die!

Might that be the problem? I also noticed it happens when I scroll too fast on webpages

Back