Dell S2716DG, 27" 2560x1440 144hz 1ms "G-Sync Gen II", DP+HDMI

Faster? No question, it's worlds faster. Better uniformity? That's a complete joke. You can get far, far higher quality monitors in this price range if you're willing to drop G-Sync/FreeSync. Don't get me wrong, that's fine -- everyone has different priorities, and as I've said before if you're a twitch gamer or screen tearing really bothers you and you're willing to make sacrifices in terms of image quality to get rid of it, that's fine... but no one should be pretending this Dell or any other TN has good color reproduction. It's just a limitation of the tech -- there's no such thing as a TN that reproduces colors correctly, even when viewed head-on.

What if I'm not willing to drop VRR and 144 Hz ? ;)

Faster? No question, it's worlds faster. Better uniformity? That's a complete joke. You can get far, far higher quality monitors in this price range if you're willing to drop G-Sync/FreeSync. Don't get me wrong, that's fine -- everyone has different priorities, and as I've said before if you're a twitch gamer or screen tearing really bothers you and you're willing to make sacrifices in terms of image quality to get rid of it, that's fine... but no one should be pretending this Dell or any other TN has good color reproduction. It's just a limitation of the tech -- there's no such thing as a TN that reproduces colors correctly, even when viewed head-on.

Panel uniformity and color reproduction are two different things. Read the reviews of the Asus and Acer IPS panels, just about every one stated the top 3rd of the panel was noticeably different than the bottom, this panel does not suffer that problem. Color reproduction is very good on this monitor too it is close to all of the gaming IPS panels that have been released recently. This monitor is no joke if it was I would return it I am no big Dell fan but they put out a great product and they offer great support. who would you rather deal with Dell or Asus\Acer support for an rma? I am not a professional photographer if I was I would most like own a top of the line NEC monitor.

Now look at it from a 10° angle.
Now realize that the corners are at more than a 10° angle when viewing the panel straight-on.

100% valid point. You can see the viewing angle effect when you move your head, and it would really matter if you were... maybe a photo editor where uniformity was critical? But for games and movies and websites these TN monitors work well.

I hate imperfect viewing angles too, but it works for me. I hope no one is advertising this monitor for content creation...

The IPS gaming monitors are not advertised for content creation either, because they're pretty bad to look at too, judging from the user reviews. So anyone with a IPS vs TN religious war chip on their shoulder can drop it!

You do realize that the calibrator is hung in the middle of the screen and only looks at a very small area of it, so what it sees and what you see will literally /never/ be the same, again due to the limitations of TN tech. The panel produces very accurate color when viewed head on, at its center point. As others have said, even if it's properly calibrated at that center point...you won't get correct color anywhere but that center point, and the farther from it you go (or the more off-center you view the entire panel) the worse its color reproduction will be. In other words, while that's a "good" result... it means absolutely nothing.

Just to be clear, though, I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I'm not trying to start a war for IPS or anything else, I just get frustrated when people make unreasonable claims.

Last edited:
I'm having a blast gaming on my 144Hz, super fast fast response, zero BLB, no dead pixel dell gaming monitor. ;)

EDIT: oh yeah, gsync too, you know, for gaming.

You do realize that the calibrator is hung in the middle of the screen and only looks at a very small area of it, so what it sees and what you see will literally /never/ be the same, again due to the limitations of TN tech. The panel produces very accurate color when viewed head on, at its center point. As others have said, even if it's properly calibrated at that center point...you won't get correct color anywhere but that center point, and the farther from it you go (or the more off-center you view the entire panel) the worse its color reproduction will be. In other words, while that's a "good" result... it means absolutely nothing.

Just to be clear, though, I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I'm not trying to start a war for IPS or anything else, I just get frustrated when people make unreasonable claims.

i suggest you use one yourself instead of continuing to make really dumb posts. my evaluation of these panels is based on comparing them to a highly accurate PLS monitor. the color shift from top to bottom is extremely minor when you have your eyes at around the level of the top quarter of the monitor, and it's only noticeable with solid colors, and how often are you filling your screen with a single color? the only issue i've had with viewing angles is with black at the very top of the screen.

even if what you were saying were true to the severity you think it is, and it's not, it wouldn't matter because i'm pretty sure most people have their eyes focused on the center of the screen the majority of the time when playing games. furthermore, if there was any big issue like what you're trying to say there is with it, tftcentral or pcmonitors.info would've said something about it in the color accuracy section of their reviews. i'm so tired of ignorant people spouting rhetoric about something they have no experience with.

tldr AHHH the color is slightly darker at the top and slightly lighter at the bottom, this is ABSOLUTELY UNUSABLE.

Last edited:
Got this monitor recently but unfortunately it won't display anything on my gigabyte 980ti. Anyone run into this before?

Got this monitor recently but unfortunately it won't display anything on my gigabyte 980ti. Anyone run into this before?

Does it say that it goes to deep sleep mode ?

If yes then you have to try starting pc several times preferably switching DP ports on gpu and after few times it will boot into operation - than disable deep sleep in OSD and it will work each time after that.

Does it say that it goes to deep sleep mode ?

If yes then you have to try starting pc several times preferably switching DP ports on gpu and after few times it will boot into operation - than disable deep sleep in OSD and it will work each time after that.

got it to work. turns out it was a cable issue. can't believe how much more desktop space i have coming from 1080p.

Picked up one of these from Amazon.

The first one that came was a bum panel. It has a hot spot to the right center of the screen that shows up clearly in lighter colors. This one goes back and a new one is on the way.

I went with the Dell because I thought their QC was better than this. I don't see how this one made it out the door. You can't miss the flaw.

Not every panel gets tested before going out. Usually testing happens in batches. If a batch of panels is good then they all ship. If a batch has a higher than normal fail rate, then none do until further testing. Dell has a pretty good QC process overall. Which is why you don't see the huge number of complaints like the ACER and ASUS ones.

I got mine in last week and have been blown away. Anyone passing on this because of TN is really just drinking the cool-aid. This monitor looks amazing.

Not every panel gets tested before going out. Usually testing happens in batches. If a batch of panels is get then they all ship. If a batch has a higher than normal fail rate, then none do until further testing. Dell has a pretty good QC process overall. Which is why you don't see the huge number of complaints like the ACER and ASUS ones.

I got mine in last week and have been blown away. Anyone passing on this because of TN is really just drinking the cool-aid. This monitor looks amazing.

Yeah it sux to be the one who got bad one but compare this thread to PG278Q or PG279Q ;)

Same here. Got mine last week and it's really a beautiful monitor. No issues with mine.

The reviews on the major retailers is still very good for this monitor including most people that post here. The color is great for a TN panel, this is by far the best monitor I have ever owned. Uniformity and color are great and its super fast what else can you ask for. Mine had no dead pixels or BLB.

While I do notice the colour shift on the desktop sometimes, it bothers me far less than orange bleed or pixel smear.

Second panel came today and it is perfect. No dead pixels, color MUCH better. Now I see what people are talking about. The color on this panel is very close to being as good as the old IPS dell I handed over to the wife.

Very happy with this purchase.

Got my monitor aswell today got really lucky with no srlsy BLB or dead pixel this is a keeper.. Even tho its a TN pannel the Color is so damn good and so close to asus IPS Swift!!

Has anyone found a good middle ground for brightness and contrast? I think it looks great but looking at whites too long I feel like it's a bit much even on this page they feel almost uncomfortable. What ratio do you guys use?

tft central settings with their profile

Using that, but very bright overall. So I found a dead pixel, which I'm currently in the middle of dealing with. I guess Dell monitors aren't super QCed. For normal cheap monitors I understand but for a $800 monitor come on.

Last edited:
Using an nvidia card, this gives me some great results:

On Screen Display: Brightness 26(60) / Contrast 75 / Red 97 / Green 97 / Blue 96

Nvidia Control Panel: Brightness 40 / Contrast 37 / Gamma 0.80 / Digital vibrance 53% (+3%)

Overall feelings meh, some backlight leagage all around (not very obvious leaks with clear lines, but dark content looks very "cloudy" unless brightness is at 0%, I actually prefer the IPS glow in my U2312HM to this), and without NCP settings, which of course won't work in my most played game, everything looks extremely washed out unless I bump up the brightness to the max.

Going to have to return and hope for better QC'd IPS monitors or OLED :/

Yeah it sux to be the one who got bad one but compare this thread to PG278Q or PG279Q ;)

Or the comparable Acers. Trust me, I've noticed.

I've noticed enough that I'm tempted to take a shot at this even with my concerns about TN since I'm used to IPS and VAs.

Being able to deal with Amazon directly on something like this is also a plus. It's awfully compelling at its price point.

After calibration the colours on this monitor were great for me, though I've been running games in full screen windowed mode so haven't run into something yet that overrides my calibration. My panel had no bleed, dust or dead pixels either so I was lucky there. Without calibration the colours are terrible though, gamma etc way off.

I find that when I play 1080p video there is a persistent tear (?) in the screen about 1/3 of the way from the top. This only occurs on full screen video and not every time.

Game play is perfect with the exception of a similar tearing problem when rendering repetitive vertical columns in BF4, such as a shipping container. It is only seen when I sweep side to side.

A driver issue perhaps?

I find that when I play 1080p video there is a persistent tear (?) in the screen about 1/3 of the way from the top. This only occurs on full screen video and not every time.

Game play is perfect with the exception of a similar tearing problem when rendering repetitive vertical columns in BF4, such as a shipping container. It is only seen when I sweep side to side.

A driver issue perhaps?
Since this is the same panel as the PG278Q, you're probably experiencing the pixel inversion issue. Also, tearing in fullscreen video can be an issue with the browser you're viewing it in if it's an online video. Firefox is known to cause screen tearing, but Chrome does not (at least with NVIDIA cards).

Since this is the same panel as the PG278Q, you're probably experiencing the pixel inversion issue. Also, tearing in fullscreen video can be an issue with the browser you're viewing it in if it's an online video. Firefox is known to cause screen tearing, but Chrome does not (at least with NVIDIA cards).

Is the pixel inversion issue the same thing that I describe in this post? I really want to love these 27" WQHD G-Sync panels but the pixel inversion issue is maddening. I also really don't want to deal with the QC issues on the high refresh rate IPS panels.

I find that when I play 1080p video there is a persistent tear (?) in the screen about 1/3 of the way from the top.

A driver issue perhaps?

Nope, user error. The refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel was set at 60Hz. I bumped it to 144Hz and the problem is solved. Duh.

I'm seriously tempted. It's time to upgrade my ancient Apple Cinema Display. I just don't know if I can buy a TN panel. How's the viewing angles?

edit: apparently i forgot how to read a thread

Last edited:
I'm seriously tempted. It's time to upgrade my ancient Apple Cinema Display. I just don't know if I can buy a TN panel. How's the viewing angles?

they are like any other modern TN.

Not bad.

But if this is going to be your only display in home then I'd suggest to pay more and get IPS g-sync.

Dell is great for gaming but I think it would be uncomfortable for longer work due to anti-matte coating.

Back