Dell S-Line Screens - S2740L, S2440L, S2340M, S2340L, S2240M

I don't like edge-to-edge glass, but not because they are more reflective. IPS/PLS black levels are not deep enough to blend with glass covered black bezels so they look dark grey compared to the bezel and that drives me nuts. The S2440L does not have this issue.

The extra clarity glass provides vs. normal glossy coatings was noticeable and something I liked. I had the S2740L for review, so I had to send it back, but I would not keep one if given to me for free since I already have 2 better displays.

My S2240m arrived yesterday. I had a bad impression when I first looked at it. Images and film clips I'd play looked bad. The colors just looked...'off' and things looked oversaturated or maybe even a bit blurry. At first I thought it was the fact that I have it hooked up by VGA(Needs a DVI-D cable I only had a DVI-I for the DVI port - Have a DVI-D on the way from Newegg). Then I discovered the "preset modes" button on the on-screen display. Saw it was either on movie or game(don't remember which) but when I switched the preset to "standard" everything looked BEAUTIFUL...Still photos...film clips...text...everything.

Don't even know why some of those presets are there as at least a couple of them only make everything look worse. Now that I've got it set up good this thing is so nice to use. Of course my experience is colored by the fact that I'm coming from a 17"(15.7" viewable area) CRT monitor which could only do 1280x960 at a tolerable enough refresh rate for me not to get eye strain. Having one and a half times the horizontal work space is amazing! Loaded up a mod for Battlefield 2 I still play called Forgotten Hope 2 and so much more immersive now.

I know there's been some discussion of black levels on these monitors. As I said I'm coming from a CRT where black is BLACK and the blacks on this monitor look pretty darn black to me. Looking at the black area on hardforum around this white box I'm typing this text in to make my post and it looks very distinctively black in comparison to the dark grey color that the white text posts appear in here on [H].

Overall...so far...Best money I ever spent on a computer upgrade(especially considering on sale plus with $20 newegg gift card - I'll be putting that toward speakers... :D).

What exactly can you look for on sites like Newegg, Tigerdirect, etc to find monitors with those "reflective" or "glossy" screens? All my attempts to find one result in this ASUS 24" monitor I have, which is no where near glossy besides the frame around the screen.

there I saw default deltaE score of AMVA (S2440L) is better than IPS (U2312HM) panels? How? This means colours would be better in S2440L
Although it isn't mentioned you can usually assume that the profile validation used for the precalibration measurements presumes sRGB as target. This is the standard behaviour for such tools when no (or no other) display profile is provided (after calibration/ profilation the created display profile – and therefore the actual display characteristic – itself forms the target). But a quick look at the S2440L default measurement shows an unexplainable result. I think you have to ask tftcentral against what target and under which circumstances the measurement was taken – certainly not sRGB because the native characteristic of this display doesn't match the normative sRGB definition well (coverage in Lab (D50) after D65 calibration about 83%). The color difference between measured samples and calculated target values would be much higher. Example => Color difference in dE94 for primary green out of the provided ICC profile (dell_s2440l.icc) regarding sRGB and without color space transformations: 8.95.

The DELL U2312HM matches sRGB better out of the box (and also in color managed applications because its sRGB gamut coverage is higher so that more tonal values can be mapped ideally by a CMM).

Last edited:
I do not speak English, sorry. Need your help, this forum is the only one where I found information about these monitors.

Wants something similar to the monitor from Apple, the IPS and the glossy display, the monitor from "Dell" is one of the few, all that is necessary and reasonable price.

Options as 22" and 23" models, just 1920x1080 to 27" is not enough.

Interested in your opinion, i can not read the entire forum, it's hard not knowing the language.

Questions:

1) Owners 22-23 "models, what are the pros and cons?

2) How good color depth and saturation?

3) How much worse than the monitor from Apple? (depth, rich, nice colors, good PPI)?

4) Which model is better to buy? (S2240L, S2340L, S2440L, S2240M)?

Please help to choose, there may be better options?

I need something like a monitor from Apple:

1) High resolution
2) Good matrix (IPS)
3) Glossy display

Has anyone tried putting anti glare film on this monitor? it seems to get good reviews for colours and contrast it's just too glossy.

I'm starting to go mad looking for a new 24 inch monitor, I made a list of everything with good specs on paper but they all seem to be crippled by some major issue in reality,

Iiyama Prolite X2472HD-B1 (has blurring issues)
BenQ GW2450HM (green tint)
Dell Studio S2440L (glossy screen)
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (anti glare coating)

There's only the LG E2442PY-BN left on my list and I can't find reviews on that.

Did anyone compare this line of monitors to the U line? I'm really interested in how they compare in picture quality... :)

Did anyone compare this line of monitors to the U line? I'm really interested in how they compare in picture quality... :)

Read reviews which you have been linked to countless times on various forums.

Has anyone tried putting anti glare film on this monitor? it seems to get good reviews for colours and contrast it's just too glossy.

I'm starting to go mad looking for a new 24 inch monitor, I made a list of everything with good specs on paper but they all seem to be crippled by some major issue in reality,

Iiyama Prolite X2472HD-B1 (has blurring issues)
BenQ GW2450HM (green tint)
Dell Studio S2440L (glossy screen)
Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (anti glare coating)

There's only the LG E2442PY-BN left on my list and I can't find reviews on that.
Color settings ->
Red: 100
Green: 96
Blue: 98
=
No green tint.

besides what i wrote earlier about s2440L id like to point out two more things

1. the capacitors are not enough - when switching the cieling fan on/off this monitor switches itself on/off while other monitors are fine.

2. the colors are off - the waterfall wallpaper in windows 7 towards the right bottom corner the leaves are yellowish green in color. this is clear when using a CRT or even TN monitor but on this panel it shows up as totally green.

Color settings ->
Red: 100
Green: 96
Blue: 98
=
No green tint.

Well, not having access to one to verify that I can't really say much other than I can't see 31 pages of complaints and many returns being necessary if the problem was that easily solved.

no need to do that, there are plenty of 27" 1080p ips monitors with antiglare coatings that have color and contrast performance at least as good as the dell.

an antireflective film (like the kind used on crt's) might be an interesting idea though, it would reduce reflections but not make the image grainier. of course, that is an additional expense plus they're not easy to put on without getting dust and fingerprints caught between the film and the glass.

I may just use a can of air on it. This way nothing touches the screen but it still gets cleaned...

You can also use an air blower, like the Giottos rocket blower that I use to clean camera sensors/mirrors.

Can anyone confirm with the S2740L, if it's direct glass or coated glass? My concern is cleaning the eventual cough/sneeze/fingerprint -- with AG coatings, it always leaves a slight mark even after cleaning with microfiber/distilled water. Someone mentioned here that they scratched their monitor using a microfiber cloth. I'm not sure what debris was on the monitor or on the cloth, or if the glass is coated....it's pretty hard to scratch glass, so i can only assume that this monitor is glass with some form of coating

Glossy panel coating with a glass layer applied to the front of the bezel. If you dismantle the screen the glass front comes off along with the back plastic section

Glossy panel coating with a glass layer applied to the front of the bezel. If you dismantle the screen the glass front comes off along with the back plastic section

Thanks -- now I'm not sure if I should get this or not, as I do not know how durable the coating is. With the display being the way it is (mirror-like,) I think it would be much more pronounced/visible with damage to the coating compared to AG coating damage.

I just ordered the U2410 to go along with my 2405FPW, and only bought that one because I can see a slight browning in one section of the 2405 monitor. I am also considering the S2740L, as the U2410 I got a good price on ($399) and a 30 day money back guarantee but I heard there were many issues with it, and besides the pink tinting issue, the most important issue of whether I keep the U2410 or return the next day is the AG coating which I heard countless stories about it being way too aggressive (I had a Viewsonic from 2005 that shimmered, and couldn't stand it, returned the next day.) I'm going to compare it to the 2405 and if it's the same, I'm keeping it, if not, I may consider the S2740L, but still not sure because it's coated.

Last edited:
The U2410 has really poor black levels too, unless you need the extended gamut for work you wasted your money on one of the worst IPS displays around.

The U2410 has really poor black levels too, unless you need the extended gamut for work you wasted your money on one of the worst IPS displays around.

Thank goodness it's free returns!

Do know if the 2410 AG coating is really that bad compared to older models, like the 2405?

S-PVA panels use medium AG while all 16:10 24" IPS use an even grainer coating often termed aggressive AG.

Thanks -- I'm going to compare it to my current 2405FPW monitor and see if I'll keep it. If I don't like it, I'll then reconsider the S2740L (already have the S2240M which I actually do like, although I'm no fan of glossy screens, I like it for media playback. I got that from the egg, $139 + 20 egg credit)

Hi guys, Been browsing this thread for some time now and only just signed up to the forum. I ordered the Dell S2740L and it's coming tomorrow :D

I got it from Amazon UK, just over £300 inc. next day before 1pm delivery so not to bad. Plus Amazon, in the UK anyway are brilliant with returns.

I currently have a Samsung P2450H, a TN panel. So yeah, it's brilliant in games but I want something with a bit more "punch" and better colour accuracy. I do like the idea of a glossy display so this don't bother me, plus I like a darkish room with only my desk light beside me on and there's nothing behind me that would interfere with the monitor.

I will post some pictures and maybe put up a video on Youtube tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hi guys, Been browsing this thread for some time now and only just signed up to the forum. I ordered the Dell S2740L and it's coming tomorrow :D

I got it from Amazon UK, just over £300 inc. next day before 1pm delivery so not to bad. Plus Amazon, in the UK anyway are brilliant with returns.

I currently have a Samsung P2450H, a TN panel. So yeah, it's brilliant in games but I want something with a bit more "punch" and better colour accuracy. I do like the idea of a glossy display so this don't bother me, plus I like a darkish room with only my desk light beside me on and there's nothing behind me that would interfere with the monitor.

I will post some pictures and maybe put up a video on Youtube tomorrow.

Looking forward seeing those pics and video :)

Have it set up, I am still using my old monitor and going for a dual screen set up, see how I get on with it so just an experiment :)

The Dell monitor is awesome ! The colours are so more accurate, all around the screen, whites/blacks are pure. No major backlight bleed worth mentioning and same goes for IPS glow really.

As for the overshot, yes it's there but to be honest, your only going to see it if you want to see it. If you know what I mean. Iv'e only ever notice it when I try and make it happen so no worries there.

Only slight issue is there are 2 small dead pixels at the bottom left of the screen. Only noticeable on a white/light static screen and because there in the corner, I will most likely get used to it.

Oh and the glow, it's fine but like I said, my room conditions wouldn't really effect it

But other then that, perfect. :D

Quick snapshot.

2012-12-16010425_zps51eb20c6.jpg

Have it set up, I am still using my old monitor and going for a dual screen set up, see how I get on with it so just an experiment :)

The Dell monitor is awesome ! The colours are so more accurate, all around the screen, whites/blacks are pure. No major backlight bleed worth mentioning and same goes for IPS glow really.

As for the overshot, yes it's there but to be honest, your only going to see it if you want to see it. If you know what I mean. Iv'e only ever notice it when I try and make it happen so no worries there.

Only slight issue is there are 2 small dead pixels at the bottom left of the screen. Only noticeable on a white/light static screen and because there in the corner, I will most likely get used to it.

Oh and the glow, it's fine but like I said, my room conditions wouldn't really effect it

But other then that, perfect. :D

Quick snapshot.

2012-12-16010425_zps51eb20c6.jpg

can you check for PWM on the s2740L?

After doing research, before I bought it that is, the 27 inch version does not use this technology.
I don't have the relevant camera to test but I have played around with the brightness settings and there are no side effects

After doing research, before I bought it that is, the 27 inch version does not use this technology.
I don't have the relevant camera to test but I have played around with the brightness settings and there are no side effects

thats good . but you can test with any video camera even a cellphone camera in sports mode.

I was just about to buy this and.....I found this latest review: " The HDMI has no HDCP. Meaning you cant watch Blueray from a PS3 using HDMI. HDCP sucks." HDCP is only supported on the DVDI-D connection. Dell kinda covertly conveys that too in their product detail: "Versatile connections: Connect to a laptop or desktop with VGA and DVI-D (HDCP). Explore HD viewing options with HDMI. Connect to devices with two USB ports."

Just ordered the S2740L. It's going to be here tomorrow.
An early Christmas present. ;)

I´ve just sold a Shimian Achieva Lite. It was a good screen, but I really missed the pop in the picture. Hopfully this one will bring that with the glass in front.
By the weekend I will know for sure. ;)

Last edited:
I just got the U2410 today (also ordered the S2740L which comes in tmrw and then I'll decide which one I'll keep.) I'll write back on the S2740L tmrw.

Now, concerning the U2410:
1. Grain: Toning down the brightness (20%), it's sort of similar to the 2405FPW, although, I haven't compared the two yet at brightness at full. But the brightness out of the box, it does look watery, and I wouldn't keep it if it was like that at lowered brightness.

2. Tinting: No noticeable tinting, however, looking at the screen from an agle, left or right, the screen looks slightly bluish.

3. MAJOR DISSAPPOINT: after owning the monitor for less than 1 hour. It's appears like it was used. There are two scratch marks on the frame, 3 thumbprints on the screen and the packing of plastic wraps were torn. Also, do these monitors no longer come shipped with a thin plastic cover over the screen? My 2405FPW did, but this didn't, just the fluffy/torn plastic wrap.

[EDIT]
I think it's going back, viewing the screen from the left or the right side directly on, the screen color looks fine, but when i shift my eyes to the opposite side, the other half of the screen has a bluish tint, it's like a smooth gradient, on a white background, the screen goes from white to "LED" bluish tint. If you look at the screen right in the middle, the left and the right edges, you'll see the tint. Wow, I never had a single issue with my 2405FPW. This is a dissappointment, I lost time with this and Dell loses money on shipping. Nobody is happy or gaining any value. Wow, what is up with this? this monitor has been around for quite sometime, and it's still a mess.

Last edited:
The PRAD-review of the S2440L is out now:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-dell-s2440l.html
You may use Google-Translator.

Not exactly the best review, with just a satisfactory rating.

The color range was worse than I expected, at 82.7. I used to assume it was the angle issue which kept A-MVAs out of the color accurate monitor arena, but apparently it's color space. So nice blacks, but pretty lousy color accuracy.

Recieved my S2740L a few days ago.
Though Im pretty pleased with the picture (vibrant colors, great for reading text, pictures taken with my camera looks stunning etc) I'm quite disapointed with the black levels. Even after a basic calibration they look totally washed out. Looks awful. Wonder if it's those black bezels who trick the eye?

Anyways. My brothers Samsung S27A950D has much better blacks and it's a cheap TN panel.. At this point I don't know if its a keeper or not. =(
See that the zalman 27 zm-tm270va is on sale now for half the price of a Dell S2740L.
It's a VA-panel with its benefits and flaws. But should have better blacks since it's VA.
Never seen a Zalman screen though. So buying it seems like a gamble.

Last edited:
Thnx for the heads up.
But I'm using HD4000 on my i7 3770K (hdmi).
Strange thing is. I just changed to DVI and if I'm not just imaging it all in my head the blacks looks way better now...
Strange... :)
You're not imaging it. If it's HD4000 over hdmi, you should make those changes as well - just not sure if it's the same way to do that.

You're not imaging it. If it's HD4000 over hdmi, you should make those changes as well - just not sure if it's the same way to do that.

Nice to know I'm not getting crazy or anything. ;)
I'm thinking I might just stick with dvi.

Those washed blacks I was telling about. You gotta see it, if you have not already. Looked like a grey layer on top of black things. Kinda milky in a way.
Now its gone, I'm quite happy with this screen.
It's got all I want, except VA-blacks. But as I said.
The difference in black levels is like night and day comparing dvi with hdmi on HD4000.

Gonna try out some fps later on and see what happens. ;)

Update. Found a dead pixel on the left side of the screen. Quite obvious now that I know where it is.
On a white background its noticeable from a distance of 1.5m. (my distance to the monitor).
Not a deal-breaker, but anyway.

What's the pixel-policy on these monitors anyways?

Last edited:
I think it's going back, viewing the screen from the left or the right side directly on, the screen color looks fine, but when i shift my eyes to the opposite side, the other half of the screen has a bluish tint, it's like a smooth gradient, on a white background, the screen goes from white to "LED" bluish tint. If you look at the screen right in the middle, the left and the right edges, you'll see the tint. Wow, I never had a single issue with my 2405FPW. This is a dissappointment, I lost time with this and Dell loses money on shipping. Nobody is happy or gaining any value. Wow, what is up with this? this monitor has been around for quite sometime, and it's still a mess.

I got 2 of these myself and having the same experience. The left side of the monitor is somewhat warm white and the right is cool white.

It's bearable if you don't look on a white background, but it's a problem for me.

I got these through DELL.COM, so I am hoping to get a full refund and pick something else.

Back