Dell Poweredge SC420 For $229!!! Celery 325J

Status
Not open for further replies.
digilink said:
. I plan on using this as a home media server running Gentoo.
That's my same intention too :D
nice to see others using Gentoo too :p
ordered one last night. :eek:

A little "gotcha" to watch out for as mentioned earlier that could cost you equipment worth up to $20ish. MAKE SURE to pick a free keyboard and mouse. Default is none.

BTW regarding that half height cd drive question:
Thats just a leftover term from about 15 years ago when you'd buy full height (two 5.25" bays) RLL/MFM hard drives that were like 20 megs (not gigs) for $1000 or more. Half height merely means it fits in a single 5.25" bay.
I dont know of ANY equipment that needs a "full height" 5.25" bay (watch someone link to an obscure cd duplicator, or multi cd drive, or huge library tape drive or some such to prove me wrong heheh) so dell is just being obtuse there.

To the guy with memory issues:
Tell the dell guy to look here and click on the link that says double or quadruple your memory for FREE. Click the details and it says ALL dell SC servers.
http://www.dell.com/bsd/server_deals/index.htm
Then tell him the system configurator says "FREE UPGRADE to 1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512 Single Ranked"

Devistater said:
A little "gotcha" to watch out for as mentioned earlier that could cost you equipment worth up to $20ish. MAKE SURE to pick a free keyboard and mouse. Default is none.

BTW regarding that half height cd drive question:
Thats just a leftover term from about 15 years ago when you'd buy full height (two 5.25" bays) RLL/MFM hard drives that were like 20 megs (not gigs) for $1000 or more. Half height merely means it fits in a single 5.25" bay.
I dont know of ANY equipment that needs a "full height" 5.25" bay (watch someone link to an obscure cd duplicator, or multi cd drive, or huge library tape drive or some such to prove me wrong heheh) so dell is just being obtuse there.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious about that also. One other question I had concerning hardware was the "1-inch" SATA drive, is that just a standard size HDD?

digilink said:
Thanks for clearing that up, I was curious about that also. One other question I had concerning hardware was the "1-inch" SATA drive, is that just a standard size HDD?
Standard size. Thats the height of the drive. All standard 3.5" hard drives (SATA or not) are 1" tall. The other heights are for example laptop hard drives. Browse newegg and you'll see those sizes.

"Free Quadruple Memory with select notebooks, Free Double Memory with select desktops & servers! "Expires .. i've been telling them... i've talked to like 3 different departments with no luck :( according to your link its double for servers, which is what im gettign 256-512...

This looks like a great deal guys i have only 1 question... does this have onboard video or do you just have to buy a pci card NOT A PCI-E but a pci card for like 30 bucks to get video?
Thanks in Advance
Eddie

amd ati FO SHO said:
"Free Quadruple Memory with select notebooks, Free Double Memory with select desktops & servers! "Expires .. i've been telling them... i've talked to like 3 different departments with no luck :( according to your link its double for servers, which is what im gettign 256-512...
Quadruple memory wasn't "free" on the SC420, it was $99 extra for 1GB dual channel ECC DDR2-3200 from 256MB or 512MB.

Don't worry about it, just sell the 512MB and buy 1GB non-ECC DDR2-4200 instead. That's what i'm going to do. It will come out cheaper than buying 1GB ECC DDR2-3200 from dell during configuration.

Devistater said:
You can also get a free 40GB travan tape. :p That's a common trick when these SC420 deals are posted at FW.

digilink said:
Anyone got any pictures of the innards? I'd like to see what I will be faced with before I get it :D
I linked the FAQ a couple of posts up: http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058

There are pictures/diagrams of the motherboard there and on dell.com (where the FAQ pictures came from).

pxc said:
Quadruple memory wasn't "free" on the SC420, it was $99 extra for 1GB dual channel ECC DDR2-3200 from 256MB or 512MB.

Don't worry about it, just sell the 512MB and buy 1GB non-ECC DDR2-4200 instead. That's what i'm going to do. It will come out cheaper than buying 1GB ECC DDR2-3200 from dell during configuration.

You can also get a free 40GB travan tape. :p That's a common trick when these SC420 deals are posted at FW.

I linked the FAQ a couple of posts up: http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058

There are pictures/diagrams of the motherboard there and on dell.com (where the FAQ pictures came from).

ohh... i read above that a bunch of people got it free for the 250 after tax... must have overlooked it

does dell use a non-standard atx mobo power connector like they used to?

also, im thinking about throwing this into my trunk for a carputer...does anyone know how many watts it draws?

Rakinos said:
does dell use a non-standard atx mobo power connector like they used to?
That stopped for desktops back in the P3 days. It's both funny and sad that people continue to believe any fairly modern Dell desktops use non-standard PSUs. I know it's something a couple of webmasters (cough, overclockers.com, cough) and ignorant news sites (cough, theinq, cough) like to perpetuate.

But servers aren't desktops and in particular this SC420 uses the new 24-pin ATX connector that several newer Intel 915/925 boards use. Yes it's standard, no it's not ATX 12v standard (20-pin main + 4 pin aux).

i orderd mine... then i asked about the free 1gb.... they said they would have to cancel the order then remake it.... i said i only want it if it doesnt change my price and is free... they said no problem.... processed and built my computer in 1 day.... should be coming tomorrow or the next day.... my price went up though.... :mad: 1 penny! :D

Billing Information Shipping Information
Payment Method Shipping Method
VISA LTL 5 DAY OR LE

Bill To

Order Details
325, 2.53GHz/256K Cache Celeron, 533MHz Front Side Busfor PowerEdge SC420
1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512MB,ECC 1R DIMMs for PowerEdge SC420
Standard Windows Keyboard,Gray
No Monitor Option
80GB, SATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive for PE SC
NO FLOPPY DRIVE
No Operating System, Microsoft
Logitech PS/2 2-button Mouse with Scroll Wheel, PowerEdge
On-Board NIC
48X, Compact Disk Drive, 680M I, Half Height, Black, for PowerEdge SC
No Hard Copy Documentation E-Docs ONLY
C1,Motherboard SATA,CBL, PESC420
Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year
DECLINED CRITICAL BUSINESS CRITICAL SERVER OR STORAGE SUPPORT PACKAGE-CALL YOUR DELLSALES REP IF UPGRADE NEEDED
No Warranty, Year 2 and 3
On-Site Installation Declined

Sub-Total $234.00
Shipping $0.00
Tax $14.04
Total Price $248.04

All discounts applied to this order are reflected in the subtotal, shipping, and total amounts.

if needed i can post the canceled order...

FREE UPGRADE to 1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512 Single Ranked

when i add that my order goes up by $99 :(

compslckr said:
FREE UPGRADE to 1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512 Single Ranked

when i add that my order goes up by $99 :(

Look at the difference without the "free upgrade" its a beefy discount. Not free tho.

1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512MB,Single Ranked DIMMs [add $349]
FREE UPGRADE to 1G DDR2, 400MHz, 2X512 Single Ranked [add $99]

I want to buy this computer....but but but... I need space for a raid array in the server. Are dell servers easy to part out to other larger cases?

I want to upgrade my gimpy dual p]|[ 650 server. This would do the job.

sickpuppy said:
Are dell servers easy to part out to other larger cases?
No. But if you have 5 or fewer hard drives, they will all fit in the case: 4 in the 4 3.5" bays and one in the empty 5.25" bay.

Airflow through the case is great and having 4 drives in the 4 3.5" bays doesn't make the drives run hot like in many other cases.

pxc said:
That stopped for desktops back in the P3 days. It's both funny and sad that people continue to believe any fairly modern Dell desktops use non-standard PSUs. I know it's something a couple of webmasters (cough, overclockers.com, cough) and ignorant news sites (cough, theinq, cough) like to perpetuate.

But servers aren't desktops and in particular this SC420 uses the new 24-pin ATX connector that several newer Intel 915/925 boards use. Yes it's standard, no it's not ATX 12v standard (20-pin main + 4 pin aux).

I assume all the same wires are there, just a different connector setup?, if so would it be feasable to mod a psu to work with that connector?

The 24-pin connector is typically known as SSI or EPS (interchangable basically). It can plug into a standard ATX connector, you just have to leave the last 4 pins hanging over the edge. AFAIK the last 4 pins supply extra 12V similar to the 4-pin connector used in desktops but integrated so you have 2 cables instead of one. You can definitely use a EPS power supply on an ATX motherboard (so long as nothing is blocking the edge of the slot). However it's probably not a good idea to use an ATX power supply on an EPS board. Although i know you can get Antec Truepower 550 EPS for around $100.

It is a 4 drive array, and i would use raid 1 for the OS, thats 6. But i will be upgrading the array to 8 drives, so 10 total. Not happening in that box.

What can i use this for... hmm...

I would refuse it too... its already exploited to the max =P

But Baaaaah I say... Baaaaaah.

I am a sheep. I bought one too. Even tho I will have to put the large Raid array in a seperate machine. I want this one to actualy run applications on... even if its not handleing the file server load.

Ordered mine, im not gonna bother with the gig memory I exploited them enough. 512 is fine for a file/ftp server.

atherton213 said:
thats sucks.... i just asked and they said sure... no problem
can u give me the exact email you email to ask, they have so many i tired 3 differnt ones already

thanks

Quote:
Customer number: 51********

is it possible since the computer hasnt been built yet to change it to the free 1gb upgrade instead of the 512

thanks Mike

Quote:
Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Dell Online Services!

With regards to your query we would like to inform you that we could
definitely make the changes on your order, but in order to make any
changes to an order, we must cancel the original order and place a new
order. This will start production again from the beginning and delay
your ship date by at least the same amount of time that was on the
original order. If this is fine with you, we are happy to assist you.
Quote:
Customer number: 5*******

thank you for your fast response on my question.... that would be great if you could go ahead and change it to the 1gb free upgrade... i still have free shipping right? and my final price hasnt changed?
Quote:
Dear Michael ,

Please note that , we have made changes on your Order as per your
request. Your New Order # is 158****** and the Estimated shipping date
on this Order is 01/11/05 .

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
Quote:
Customer number: *******
hi one more... i only want the 1gb upgrade if its free and doesnt add to my final price...if not just ignore my emails and continue with my order process

thanks 1 more time,
Mike
Quote:
Dear Michael ,

We appreciate the interest on your Order .

Please note that , we have made changes on your Order as per your
request. Your New Order # is 158424764 and this Order is estimated to
ship on or before 01/11/05 . This Change has not made a difference in
the Price of your Order .

all sent to
[email protected]

Okay. I got the deal. And scratched the motherboard making the modifications for PCI-e. Where can I get a replacement mobo at a cheap price? What mobos will work? Help!

Thanks....

Red Elrond said:
Okay. I got the deal. And scratched the motherboard making the modifications for PCI-e. Where can I get a replacement mobo at a cheap price? What mobos will work? Help!

Thanks....

newegg.com

If you fuck up your mobo, you don't deserve to own this server.

joecool234 said:
newegg.com
This board doesn't seem to have all the standard microATX mount points, but the tray beneath it might. He should take out the motherboard first to see if he can mount a microATX board in the case first before buying another board. See it here ... the 4 outer screw holes are in the right places, but the three that would be along the length of the board parallel to the PCI-E slot are not (probably has supports beneath the board).

However, he can just buy another Dell motherboard like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1244&item=6733627153&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW ($110 shipped). The SC420 and 8400 use an almost identical motherboard (same mount points, same layout, different chipset), but the 8400 has an x16 slot, 4 SATA connectors, integrated 5.1 sound and a better 925x chipset.

I also found a barebones SC420 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51060&item=6733611595&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
We apologize, but coupons or online promotions cannot be added
retroactively. They must be added at the time the order is placed
online. We regret we cannot grant your request to add the free upgrade.
However, you may reply via email or contact the Online Business Division
@ 877-284-3355 to cancel the existing order (if cancelled in time) and
then reorder online to apply the promotion. We cannot apply the
promotion for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back