Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

I got that message myself, but then later it was ok again. I don't know if it is a pbase issue or a change in linkage policy. If you PM me your email I could send it to you.

Exit browser and try again. I just tried it on a browswer in my work account that I never use and has never connected to PBase before and it worked.

Pbase has issues once in a while.

Snowdog said:
I got that message myself, but then later it was ok again. I don't know if it is a pbase issue or a change in linkage policy. If you PM me your email I could send it to you.

Exit browser and try again. I just tried it on a browswer in my work account that I never use and has never connected to PBase before and it worked.

Pbase has issues once in a while.

Ok, worked this time - here's the 3 screenshots (center, left, right):

dellCenter.jpg

dellLeft.jpg

dellRight.jpg

I see a fair amount of shift, looks like PVA to me. Unless you have a really bad backlight.

Snowdog said:
I see a fair amount of shift, looks like PVA to me. Unless you have a really bad backlight.

Regardless if it is PVA or S-IPS, my main complaint about this monitor is that it is too bright and it has a noticeable screen door effect. When I set brightness below 30 (20 presently), the color quality really degrades.

Any recommendations for a LCD for mostly text and web browsing that is:
1. not too bright
2. no screen door effect

Thanks for all the help.

I haven't seen an LCD without SDE. It is the nature of the beast. Though some claim glossy screens make it less obvious.

Brightness issue sounds like my Dell 2405 that I got rid of. Even at zero it was both too bright and starting to look like crap.

Next I got the 2007fp but it was another PVA, had banding, blur (it was A00) I returned for refund.

Next I got a cheap 1707fp. Cheap, easy on the eyes and less shift that either of the PVAs I bought. I run brightness at 12% and it looks ok and not bright.

Hi FarmerJohn, just wanted to ask, do you notice any banding in any of the image modes ?
The default image mode on these monitors is desktop mode, but if you select image modes using the onscreen menu, this monitor has multimedia mode and gaming mode.
I have a revision A02 and the banding is very noticeable in both multimedia and gaming mode.
Using the desktop mode, the banding is only slightly noticeable when using the green Windows XP background.
Thanks

Its like that on all 2007WFP's. Just use desktop mode. The reason for the banding is a scaler chip that is enabled in the other modes, which allows to monitor to look better (but still quite bad) at other resolutions than 1680x1050.

Snowdog said:
Brightness issue sounds like my Dell 2405 that I got rid of. Even at zero it was both too bright and starting to look like crap.

Next I got the 2007fp but it was another PVA, had banding, blur (it was A00) I returned for refund.

Assuming I can live with the screendoor effect, my main issue is the brightness. Are monitors with PVA panels generally a lot brighter than S-IPS panels?

soul1 said:
Hi FarmerJohn, just wanted to ask, do you notice any banding in any of the image modes ?
The default image mode on these monitors is desktop mode, but if you select image modes using the onscreen menu, this monitor has multimedia mode and gaming mode.
I have a revision A02 and the banding is very noticeable in both multimedia and gaming mode.
Using the desktop mode, the banding is only slightly noticeable when using the green Windows XP background.
Thanks

I have not noticed any banding and my image mode is set to desktop.

OK, here's the specs from my (flickering) Rev A03 2007FPW:

IMG_1441.jpg

It believe the RT803 indicates a S-IPS panel, correct? I'll be sure to post specs from my replacement when it arrives tomorrow as well.

Just got my 2007WFP today. Service panel shows RT803.

Looking from an angle, i see the purple tinge on black backgrounds, but no other shade differences. Ill assume this means i got a S-IPS panel, hooray!

Ordered on the night of October 28 (saturday). Its an A03 made in mexico.

No dead pixels or stuck pixels from what ive seen so far...

Snowdog said:

When I view a dark photo straight on, it is mostly black, but when I move to the left or right, the photo is more visible - more detail. Is this what 3d shift is? In this photo, I can't see the pipes at the top when viewed directly, but are clear when viewed on an angle. Does this confirm I have a PVA panel?

pipes.jpg

Yes that is textbook PVA tone shift. Darker head on, getting lighter off center. Nice test image.

mbell said:
Same here, now even more than ever since it appears I got hosed on the original 2001FP purchase as well! :mad:

Just for grins I put the 2001FP into service mode and checked the display. Imagine my disgust when I found out it was the exact same Samsung LTM201U1 S-PVA panel as in the 2007FP.

I bought the 2001FP precisely because every source I found claimed it was S-IPS only.

Time to brush up on my Indian, see if I can make those bozos understand the difference.

Just a quick update.

I phoned Dell Tech Support and voiced my displeasure over having my 2001FP "S-IPS" (ok, small white lie :D) monitor replaced with a 2007FP S-PVA since I do a lot of graphic arts with my monitor. I had to run off to a meeting @ work so I couldn't hold on indefinitely while they tried to figure out what I was saying, but when I got home there was a message on the machine claiming they would be shipping out a (another) replacement monitor.

With any luck they actually figured out what I was driving at and I'll have an S-IPS 2001FP arriving on Friday. :cool:

I just got my 2007wfp and I am pissed.

First of all I got the 2007wfpb. I don't know if there is a difference but that was the least of my concerns. Nonetheless it made me nervous when I was unpacking.

Anyways I plug in this thing and put up a black screen to check the backlight and it is pretty bad. Lights extend 45° from each corner 3/4th of the way to the center. (Sorry I took pictures but forgot to upload then before I left my house.)

I figure it sucks but at least I have no dead pixels and the colors appear better than my samsung TN panel. So I check the panel code (I have version A03) and found I have the questionable PM330 (made in mexico) farmerjohn has but wanted to check it out myself. Dark colors are defiantly darker head on and shift to more normal at slight angles. Other colors don't shift that bad but has the noticeable PVA 'washout' on angles. And there is no 'purple shift' at extreme angles. The picture farmerjohn has is of a certain angle that is the closest to purple it gets but is more red/brown. At extreme angles there is no purple, just washout of lights and darkening of darks.

I'm going to RMA tomorrow and hope to god they send me an S-IPS next time. I read about Dell's shady panel swap but thought it only happened over seas. Looks like they might start to screw us in the US too. :rolleyes: :( .

Nova8 said:

First of all I got the 2007wfpb. I don't know if there is a difference but that was the least of my concerns. Nonetheless it made me nervous when I was unpacking.

Anyways I plug in this thing and put up a black screen to check the backlight and it is pretty bad. Lights extend 45° from each corner 3/4th of the way to the center. (Sorry I took pictures but forgot to upload then before I left my house.)

I figure it sucks but at least I have no dead pixels and the colors appear better than my samsung TN panel. So I check the panel code (I have version A03) and found I have the questionable PM330 (made in mexico) farmerjohn has but wanted to check it out myself. Dark colors are defiantly darker head on and shift to more normal at slight angles. Other colors don't shift that bad but has the noticeable PVA 'washout' on angles. And there is no 'purple shift' at extreme angles. The picture farmerjohn has is of a certain angle that is the closest to purple it gets but is more red/brown. At extreme angles there is no purple, just washout of lights and darkening of darks.

I'm going to RMA tomorrow and hope to god they send me an S-IPS next time. I read about Dell's shady panel swap but thought it only happened over seas. Looks like they might start to screw us in the US too. :rolleyes: :( .

Where did it ship from?

Round Rock, Texas.

After looking at it more, it might have a purple tint near the backlight at wide viewing angles but the dark images still shift. So people with S-IPS don't see any shift at all when looking at the darker top part of farmerjohns picture? Becuase straight on the top is very dark but when I lean a 1or 2ft over to the right it becomes more illuminated. Does this confirm that these are PVA?

I just got my RT8 and his picture gets a little darker 2+ft if anything on the top pipes. I'd say so.

Nova8 said:

I got the same thing although the only place it says WFPB is behind the screen were the stand goes i thought there the same thing as the WFP?

Nova8 said:

Man, this sucks. My replacement 2007WFP is arriving today via Next Day FedEx. Mine shipped from Nashville, TN though, instead of Round Rock, so maybe Nashville is still shipping S-IPS panel 2007WFP's.

Wish me luck people. Lets see no dead pixels, no flicker, and an S-IPS panel! That's all I want! :)

I chose straight on shots. Unfortunately we all have different exposures, and neither myself nor Farmer john perfectly centered the camera, thought we might have needed scientific accuracy to get this one precise.

What you see is the S-IPS panel showing near perfect consistency. What you should see for the PVA panels is darker in the center and getting consistenly washed out/lighter to the sides. But since our cameras were off center a bit. The washout is significantly lighter on the right hand side and the darkest panel is not centered, but is instead the second last panel on the right. The very last panel on the right is starting to lighten up again. This highlights something else, how sensitive PVA is to slight viewer position changes and I mean slight.

A somewhat exaggerated example from Philips:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/tech/tech301_sips_j_e.jsp

And the images:

Jodiuh (S-IPS)
Straight.jpg

FarmerJohn (S-PVA)
59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg

Me (S-PVA)
dellCenter.jpg

Snowdog said:
I chose straight on shots. Unfortunately we all have different exposures, and neither myself nor Farmer john perfectly centered the camera, thought we might have needed scientific accuracy to get this one precise.

What you see is the S-IPS panel showing near perfect consistency. What you should see for the PVA panels is darker in the center and getting consistenly washed out/lighter to the sides. But since our cameras were off center a bit. The washout is significantly lighter on the right hand side and the darkest panel is not centered, but is instead the second last panel on the right. The very last panel on the right is starting to lighten up again. This highlights something else, how sensitive PVA is to slight viewer position changes and I mean slight.

A somewhat exaggerated example from Philips:
http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/tech/tech301_sips_j_e.jsp

And the images:

Jodiuh (S-IPS)
Straight.jpg

FarmerJohn (S-PVA)
59768645.PVA_Shadow.jpg

Me (S-PVA)
dellCenter.jpg

Ohhh it's supposed to be consistent eh? My panel is S-IPS and I love it, but when I looked at that image I thought "Wait are they supposed to all look the same?!? I don't see any difference.". Lol.

OOPS just made the 3rd delivery attempt today. Lucky I was home.

WOOT!! V1B18 RT803, Sweet S-IPS luvin here. (Rev A03 Hecho in Mexico Oct 2006 90-112)

Now the big question, should I order another one of these?

Edit: OK, no 2nd one since the price went back up.
Also tested for banding, there is none also no dead/stuck pixels and no back light leaks.
I am a happy camper today. And to think I paid the same price for a 14" interlaced no name monitor 15 years ago.

Btw does anyone know what differences there might be between A02 and A03 S-IPS? I have A02 and I love it, but I am curious.

MadFerIt2006 said:
Ohhh it's supposed to be consistent eh? My panel is S-IPS and I love it, but when I looked at that image I thought "Wait are they supposed to all look the same?!? I don't see any difference.". Lol.

There's slight wash in color detail w/ my S-IPS, but it's nothing compared to the MVA in the Sceptre X20WC-Gamer I checked out. That thing made me cry.

pcguru83 said:
Man, this sucks. My replacement 2007WFP is arriving today via Next Day FedEx. Mine shipped from Nashville, TN though, instead of Round Rock, so maybe Nashville is still shipping S-IPS panel 2007WFP's.

Wish me luck people. Lets see no dead pixels, no flicker, and an S-IPS panel! That's all I want! :)

Hm yea i just noticed that. My S-IPS panel came from Nashville, TN as well.

I was ordering a refurb from dell but after I learned it was only a 90day warr, I cancelled the order.

interesting how dell 'cancels'. they say they do. then I get an email next day saying its now shipping to me ;(

had to call them back AGAIN and really cancel. they wanted me to accept the box (??) and then take MY time a 2nd time and wait for the ups guy some other day when they issue a call tag.

I said 'no'. I had to be firm with the nice indian lady ;) but I held my ground and said 'this is how it IS going down. I am going to refuse the box and you are going to make a note in your computer that says as much and then I'll get my refund. I am NOT taking more of my time to wait for ups a 2nd day!'.

hold on sir, I'll get my supervisor.

minutes on hold.

ok, you can refuse the box and we'll handle it from here.

(man!)

dells sucks. I got my first 2007 from costco and I got the very last one, too! the only dells I'm getting from now on will be VIA costco and no one else. at least they understand customer service.

pcguru83 said:

Well, two out of three ain't too bad. But, it's what I started with. :( I'm still getting flicker with solid images (especially dark ones) even with the new display. I just can't figure it out. FWIW, I'm running a Mac on it, but my old 2005FPW didn't have this problem. Just for kicks, I hooked the 2007FPW up to my Windows box, and using the same images as on my Mac, no flicker! I just don't get it. I may just have to live with it, as there are no other monitors out there that compare to this one for the price.

Good news is though, I did get an S-IPS panel and no dead pixels (again!). Here's a shot of my service menu on the replacement monitor, just in case anyone is still keeping track:

IMG_1442.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on the still-remaining flicker issue, please by all means let me know. I've posted over on the Apple side of this forum to see if any other 2007FPW Apple owner have similar issues.

I called tech support and explained the backlight bleed problems and the color shifting and got a replacement sent overnight without any hassel. I'll update tomorrow with my second try in the lottery. Come on RT803! :p

I am really interested in this monitor and want to make sure I get a S-IPS. Those of you that received the monitor already maybe we can have the OP compile a list of shipping locations from where the good and the bad are coming from. Great thread and I am checking it often to see what people are getting.

Recently bought a 20% coupon on ebay and it didn't work so trying to deal with that so I can get my monitor!!! ARGGHH

Arcadees said:
Recently bought a 20% coupon on ebay and it didn't work so trying to deal with that so I can get my monitor!!! ARGGHH

Yup, used one of those to get mine. The one I purchased expired on November 1st, so you may want to double check that.

My replacement came today. It is an RT803, definatly an S-IPS, very minimal backlight bleed, and no dead pixels. Needless to say I am very satisfied with my new monitor :D .

Received my 2007WFP today. It was shipped from TN and I ordered it on 11/02. At first I was worried because it says 2007WFPb on the back, but it also says A02. I checked the number in the menu and it says lpl wsxga lm201w01. I noticed a pink/purple'ish tint when viewing on the side as well but this is my first LCD so I'm still a little worried that this is definitely an S-IPS panel. After turning down the brightness I'm starting to get used to it. No dead pixels or banding issues. I just notice a slight bleed on the bottom left but I don't think it's worth returning over.

Got my 2007FPW from Costco.ca today (avoided Dell directly, Costco service is godly), what a beautifull display. Rev A02 S-IPS Mexico August 2006. I guess A03 revs are mighty recent.

I'm detecting no bleeding and no dead/stuck pixels (unless I'm blind). I guess my prayers have been answered.

How do we test for banding? I can post pics, but I need a site to host them, what are you guys using?

I have been reading this forum and others alike for month's now. So I'm very much aware of the issues that Dell monitors have. However, since revision 3 arrived, I have been hearing good news so I decided to purchase one with a coupon I had. I made sure I talked to a customer service representative to make it a point that they send me a revision 3 panel S-IPS.

The panel arrived yesterday and it was made in August 2006 REV 02 Mexico.

It has horrible backlight bleeding and it does have banding. I decided to call Dell this morning to request for a RMA and get it replaced. It took almost 2 hours to get in touch with the right person. I was calling form work so I made sure I had my serial number and order information.

The technician insisted that we do a test of the monitor. I explained to him that I was at work and could not do any tests but that the panel was faulty and there was no point to any tests and that I wanted a replacement sent rightaway.

I spent Monday night doing all the tests listed on this forum using all of the available programs. I made sure it was not my video card or other possibilities.

The technician insisted on the test so I agreed to go home for lunch and he would call me around noon.

The call never arrived. So I call Dell, after an hour of waiting on hold, I finally speak to a technician. I explained to him that I was having panel issues with banding and backlight bleeding. We went through a series of tests and after about an hour of talking to this guy Dell finally agreed to sent a replacement. Once again, I made the point that I wanted a rev 3 S-IPS.

I went back to work and the guy that promised to call me did so at around 2:30 PM. I told him my issue was resolved

At around 5:15 PM, I get a call from Dell informing me that since I'm requesting a revision 3 panel, I would have to return my monitor first and then place a new order online so they can send me a new monitor. He explained that if I wanted Dell to ship me a new monitor, they would have to send me a revision 2. He said the revision 3 was a "different product."

So after much arguing, since I can't send my monitor first because I don't have another one, I agreed to take a chance and hope the next one, scheduled to arrive on Thursday, is a working one.

This has to be one of worst customer service experiences I've had so far. I order a specific product, I don't get it...and not only that, the product has the same problems that are widely reported. Dell refuses to send me a replacement unless I send them their monitor back first. Then I have to place a new order that does not guarantee the panel will be the correct one.

I think I will blow a gasket if Thursday I get a 2007FPW with backlight bleeding and banding. I will return the product for a refund and will cancel my "preferred" account. I should have listened to my gut feeling but I thought what are the chances? Well I gambled and I lost.

Rev A03 is only a language fix in the OSD. Basically changing language from LM201W01 to RT803 etc. me thinks :p

The banding "fix" was in A02 and there only in desktop mode. A03 doesn't contain a further banding fix as far as I know.

Looks like ChrisM is at least trying to talk to Dell about the lottery: link

I doubt I'll EVER try to call or place a dell order again. they suck.

after cancelling my 2007 refurb order (on the phone) I get an email the next day saying it shipped! ;(

I called back again. they wanted me to accept the box and then wait another day for ups to come around and re-pick it up. I refused and said 'no, I am NOT going to accept a delivery that I know if wrong and borderline fraud.'

this is just not worth the hassle. I lucked out since my first one is sips from costco. rev a03 from mexico. but I got the very last one from costco, it seems.

dell is horrible. just horrible. once burned I will not be buying FROM them ever again.

I just wish they CARED. telling them they lost a customer doesn't phase them one iota ;(

Back