Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Fyi

Hi, just received replacement 2007WFP due my current panel having dead pixels. The one received is a RevA02 manufactured in September 2006 in Czech Republic. It has an LM201W01 S-IPS panel.
Sending back the RevA03 2007WFP, Manufacture date October 2006.
It seems that any panel manufactured in October 2006 in Europe is a RevA03.
One thing I did seem to notice with the RevA03 panel, is that the colours looked very oversatured.
The colours on my RevA02 are fine.

Seems we have a small list now from this forum including myself.

blunden
soul1
the_bear
linux-works

Hi, I'm typing this message looking at my new 2007WFP rev A03. It is made in Mexico and has RT803 listed in the service menu.

I don't know how to tell the difference between IPS and PVA, but the viewing angle is amazing on this thing so I'm guessing its S-IPS, but I really don't know.

I just signed up to tell you that I got a new Dell A03.

It shows RT803 in the Service Menu.

I am 100% positive it's a S-IPS. I had another 2007FPW A02 revision and it looks exactly the same. The purple blacks at angels and all.

sega_102 said:
I just signed up to tell you that I got a new Dell A03.

It shows RT803 in the Service Menu.

I am 100% positive it's a S-IPS. I had another 2007FPW A02 revision and it looks exactly the same. The purple blacks at angels and all.

does the a02 look better then the a03? i hear people saying a03's look some what saturated colors compared to the a02

mista ting said:
does the a02 look better then the a03? i hear people saying a03's look some what saturated colors compared to the a02

I saw no difference at all. They both looked exactly the same. I was sure to check this before I sent my other one in. I sent it in for cosmetic blemishes on the front of the bezel.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Dell changed was the service menu info.

ChrisM @ dell forums had this to say...
I have pressed Product Group on questions like this. As of today, we will not issue any official type statement regarding the revision changes. Our stance is that the "what" and "why" information will not be disclosed. This also applies to what panels are installed. Our point of view is a 2407 is a 2407, regardless of the panel. Bottomline, if any user has issues with the Desktop mode, they have the option to initiate an exchange.

For the average non posting user, that's ok. Not to tell them, but it's ok IMO not to bother with the intricate details of panel types. To straight up answer someone asking this question...lame.

EDIT: Here's a screenie of the 3 shots I have so far. Hopefully this will give us something to play with and compare colors. Does anyone know of any good site/software to calibrate colors easily?

Diffendoofer:
Do you have A02?

linux-works:
Is that V1B18 or V1B1B?

Dell%202007%20Color%20Codes.JPG

EDIT: Added briank's A03 to the list.
EDIT2: Added mista ting's A02 to the list.

Hi just a quick question.
Although the panels used in this monitor are the same LG - Philips LM201W01, are each of them calibrated differently, ie service values in each monitor are different ?

Thanks

HI MY DELL CAME TODAY REV. A02 JULY NO BANDING NO DEAD PIXELS, HOW DO I GO ABOUT ACESSING THE SERVICE MENU?

(KEYBOARD STUCK IN CAPLOCK LOL SRY RAMEN UNDER CAP LOCK BUTTON)

Hi to access the service menu for the 2007WFP, you need to do the following :

1. Turn off the monitor.
2. Press the "Menu " and the "+" and the "Power button" at the same time.
3. When monitor has come on, press the "-" button and the service menu will come on.

Thanks mista ting. here's an updated list of 5 S-IPS panels. Now if someone would kind explain these numbers to me. Or perhaps send me to an easy to understand color/gamma/brightness adjusting sight, I'll be glad to test them all out.

In the list, you'll notice only 5 values are different:

Offset1
Offset2
Gain
PC Blue Preset
PC Red Preset

Dell%202007%20Color%20Codes.JPG

heres mine

dell2007002.jpg

no dead pixels but not too happy about this with stock settings
dell2007001.jpg

can anyone tell me it where its made/rev and if its sips?

The sticker on the back of the panel should say, "AO3". Most of the users with A03 have reported an S-IPS panel as the viewing angles are high and the color wash's almost non existent. But that backlight bleed is somethin' else... :eek: :eek:

I received my dell 2007WFP yesterday:

A03, manufactured in October in Mexico.
V1B18 PM330

I've only read in this forum about the RT803, but not PM330. It's very bright, I had to set brightness to 20. Some backlight emanating from all four corners. The center is darker than the sides with the left side brighter than the right side when background is dark.

It has very good viewing angle - I can see the screen fine at 179 degrees. When I change viewing angles on a black screen, it does seem to change from black to an extremely dark purple, but that might be my eyes wanting to see purple because I want this monitor to be an S-IPS panel! Is there anything else I can do to determine if this is an S-IPS panel?

Snowdog said:
Starting with the A03 release Dell has started to obscure the Panel information. This seems to be thier solution to panel lottery complaints. Hide the panel information. A list of new Dell panel codes was starting to be compiled when they were removed:

2007 WFP A03 - Panel code RT803 (Assumed S-IPS)
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code UW473 (Assumed S-PVA )

If you get an A03 Dell, share your Panel info from the service menu, so we can translate dells codes back into panel info. Especially if you are sure you know what type of panel you have, or even better you have taken it apart to confirm. :)

I can confirm the A03 I received today (as a warranty exchange for my 2001FP) is a Samsung S-PVA (LTM201U1). I popped the front bezel off to check when the service menu coughed up the Dell nonsense code. And FWIW, the tag on the back says "Made in China". :eek:

The service menu shows V1B18 UW473 at the top.

I am not pleased with Dell, swapping an S-PVA panel for an S-IPS panel is not an equivalent swap. :mad:

FarmerJohn said:
Is there anything else I can do to determine if this is an S-IPS panel?

If you're adventureous you could pop the front bezel off and see whats stamped on the front of the LCD.

It takes a bit to get it started (I started on the left side at the top), but once you get it going it practically falls off.

Ordered my 2007WFP Saturday night. It was supposed to be here today, but no one was around to sign for it :(.

Hopefully someone will be around tomorrow and I can finally get rid of this old CRT :p

Ill post what I get tomorrow (that is, if I get it tomorrow).

Pray for me guys >.<

Just got my monitor today from Dell Canada. S-IPS Revision A02 Panel. No noticeable backlight bleeding, no dead pixels..

I LOVE IT :D

Even out of the box it looks amazing, and after all the disappointment with previous monitors this one makes me very happy :D.

Although I am worried if I ever had to get a replacement, I would end up with a S-PVA.

mbell said:
If you're adventureous you could pop the front bezel off and see whats stamped on the front of the LCD.

Is there any other way to find out? Is there anyone else with an A03 revision and a "PM330" in the panel code?

FarmerJohn said:
I received my dell 2007WFP yesterday:

A03, manufactured in October in Mexico.
V1B18 PM330

I've only read in this forum about the RT803, but not PM330. It's very bright, I had to set brightness to 20. Some backlight emanating from all four corners. The center is darker than the sides with the left side brighter than the right side when background is dark.

It has very good viewing angle - I can see the screen fine at 179 degrees. When I change viewing angles on a black screen, it does seem to change from black to an extremely dark purple, but that might be my eyes wanting to see purple because I want this monitor to be an S-IPS panel! Is there anything else I can do to determine if this is an S-IPS panel?

179 degrees. Come on. Only manufactures quote silly angles like this. :) You do realize that is one degree off of looking at at completely from the side. Consider that there is a Bezel, it is impossible to see anything from 179 degrees. If it looks fine to you why worry. Probably only about 10% or less of people even notice the difference. Odds are this is PVA, hence the different code.

Look at this image. On a S-IPS screen this will have consistent shadow detail across the screen, PVA will vary across the screen:
http://ct.pbase.com/o4/04/606404/1/59690548.1920Shadow.jpg

Something like this from different locations on the screen on my PVA I sent back:
http://ct.pbase.com/g2/04/606404/2/65452628.x4iiT08h.jpg

Anyway thanks for the data point.

mbell said:
I can confirm the A03 I received today (as a warranty exchange for my 2001FP) is a Samsung S-PVA (LTM201U1). I popped the front bezel off to check when the service menu coughed up the Dell nonsense code. And FWIW, the tag on the back says "Made in China". :eek:

The service menu shows V1B18 UW473 at the top.

I am not pleased with Dell, swapping an S-PVA panel for an S-IPS panel is not an equivalent swap. :mad:

Bummer. But thanks for verifying that code. I had the 2007fp with PVA, it was a very shifty panel (tone shifts at slightest angle). I hate this panel lottery crap.

soul1 said:
This is very interesting.
The UW473 is a Samsung panel.
The 2007wfp has 2 panel codes.
RT803 - assumed to be S-IPS and now a new code has emerged PM330
FarmerJohn, another way to check the panel type is to try the following link
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1115263
To be 100% sure, you could try the following
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1032268

I hope this helps

Thanks soul1 - the links were helpful especially the photos. Now that it is dark, I cranked the brightness up to 65 and turned on the black screen saver and my screen looked very close to the other S-IPS in the photos, i.e., noticeable purple tinge when viewing on an angle. I'd say I'm 98% sure at this point that I have an S-IPS.

One final thought, the Vertical viewing angle on this is equal to the horizontal, i.e., 179 degrees. Are the PVA panels clearly viewable at 179 degrees vertical (both above and below the screen)?

Snowdog said:
Bummer. But thanks for verifying that code. I had the 2007fp with PVA, it was a very shifty panel (tone shifts at slightest angle). I hate this panel lottery crap.

Same here, now even more than ever since it appears I got hosed on the original 2001FP purchase as well! :mad:

Just for grins I put the 2001FP into service mode and checked the display. Imagine my disgust when I found out it was the exact same Samsung LTM201U1 S-PVA panel as in the 2007FP.

I bought the 2001FP precisely because every source I found claimed it was S-IPS only.

Time to brush up on my Indian, see if I can make those bozos understand the difference.

Jodiuh said:
YahAHGA!
:eek: :eek:

Now that's what I ran away from. The Samsung 205BW had it a little, the Sceptre X20WC-Gamer a lot, and the Dell NONE. Long live S-IPS! :D :D

Yep, if you are sensitive to tone shift this is how you will perceive it. IPS is the best, actually followed by TN, and the most shift is VA. I say IF, because so many people buy VA panels that I must assume they are insensitive to the tone shift.

Mbell: Yes it was known that a small number of 2001FP had the PVA screen. This list shows it: http://aryarya.net/wassyoi/lcdmemo.html

Logically the PM330 is most likely the PVA screen that was seen elsewhere in the world. We knew it was coming, we knew it would initially be a minority of Panels, we know the RT803 is S-IPS. Put it all together we have to assume the PM330 is PVA.

Snowdog said:
Logically the PM330 is most likely the PVA screen that was seen elsewhere in the world. We knew it was coming, we knew it would initially be a minority of Panels, we know the RT803 is S-IPS. Put it all together we have to assume the PM330 is PVA.

My panel is PM330, but it has the typical purple tinge associated with S-IPS panels when viewing a black screen on an angle.
dellPurple.jpg

Fascinating thread. I registered here just so I could chime in. I purchased a 2007FPW Saturday, Oct 29th and received it last night Oct 31st. Unfortunately, it needs to be replaced. I'm having serious issues with horrible flickering on a dark or solid color image. In addtion, I believe I have the color banding issue (not really sure how to tell, but that test image just doesn't look quite right.). On a side note, if anyone's has more info on these issues, please let me know.

Anyhow, back on topic. I know for sure that my unit is a revision A03. I just so happened to notice when I was getting the serial number last night. I'm anxious now though to get home and find out what my service menu looks like. I'll be sure to post a pic as soon as I can.

Also, when my replacement arrives tomorrow, I'll be sure to post it's stats as well. :)

FarmerJohn said:
My panel is PM330, but it has the typical purple tinge associated with S-IPS panels when viewing a black screen on an angle.

I have seen the tinge of purple on IPS, but it it didn't look anything like that. More important to me and the reason I don't like PVA is the shadow shifting at small angles. If you have a digicam. Display this image and shoot it close to the screen (viewing distance 2-3 feet) with camera at wide angle setting, The screen should nearly fill the digicam image. Maybe one shot straight on and one at a small angle, maybe 20 degrees.

I would like to asses tone shift. After all I don't like IPS because it shows purple. I like IPS because it has very consistent tone in normal use. Where PVA is very shifty.

Snowdog said:
Display this image and shoot it close to the screen (viewing distance 2-3 feet) with camera at wide angle setting, The screen should nearly fill the digicam image. Maybe one shot straight on and one at a small angle, maybe 20 degrees.

I would like to asses tone shift. After all I don't like IPS because it shows purple. I like IPS because it has very consistent tone in normal use. Where PVA is very shifty.

I get this error with several different browsers:
"You don't have permission to access /o4/04/606404/1/59690548.1920Shadow.jpg on this server."

Any other way to get this photo - possibly another link or search term within pbase?

Back