Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

Tamlin_WSGF said:
Rev A03 is only a language fix in the OSD. Basically changing language from LM201W01 to RT803 etc. me thinks :p

The banding "fix" was in A02 and there only in desktop mode. A03 doesn't contain a further banding fix as far as I know.

Looks like ChrisM is at least trying to talk to Dell about the lottery: link

He is just humoring people. He gets beat up by this all the time. His response has always been, this is a supply issue. They would rather change panels than let supplies dip. I am sure all at Dell will have a big chuckle over this. I think we have had a solid indication Dell knows people are unhappy about this and the response has been to obscure the panel name with an internal code to further cloud people on what info they are getting.

Snowdog said:
He is just humoring people. He gets beat up by this all the time. His response has always been, this is a supply issue. They would rather change panels than let supplies dip. I am sure all at Dell will have a big chuckle over this. I think we have had a solid indication Dell knows people are unhappy about this and the response has been to obscure the panel name with an internal code to further cloud people on what info they are getting.

While that might be true, I will keep a close eye on that thread and ChrisM's response there. It has been stated pretty clear how this "lottery" is cheating people by G5 in that thread. Who is to say that Dell will keep this practise to only screens? This isn't much different from selling PC models with certain GFX and then changing GFX without questioning the customers first, because they run out of stock.
"The Dell lottery" could quickly turn into "the Dell scam" if people gets pissed off enough. THAT would be bad publicity for Dell if its all over the internet.

All Eizo's highend graphics panels are S-IPS (CG series/premium edition). Though they use S-PVA in some of their low-end panels (CE) and even TN panels in some(FlexScan S1911 and FlexScan S1701), no S-PVA exsist in their CG high-end series. Why are there no S-PVA CG models? S-PVA are cheaper to purchase and if they would perform the same, then why not?

All models have IPS panels that offer precise color display and minimal color shift when viewed from off-center.
link

What about Eizo's medical grade displays?

All RadiForce models use the most advanced ASV and Dual Domain-IPS/Super-IPS LCD panels. Each liquid crystal molecule has four optical directivities, producing 170° viewing angles and minimizing changes in color when the screen is viewed from different directions.
link

Are viewing angles important? So it seems. It surely looks like Eizo have understood that there is a difference between panel types. Too bad Dell is a bit slow here... :p

I'm new here, in the market for a monitor, had the 2007wfp in mind, read the thread, and now have grave misgivings. It's too bad all this is happening (as if there weren't enough concerns already with LCDs, like dead pixels, ghosting, etc), but a couple questions I didn't see answered:

1) When playing this "lottery," what's entailed in returning the old one? Does Dell issue a call-tag, or do you actually have to bring it somewhere, such as a FedEd office? That would be a problem for me without a car.

2) I've read that the satisfaction period is 20 days. Is that reset each time they send you one? What changes after 20 days?

3) You do always get non-refurbished units in exchange, right?

Thanks

I got myself a 2007fp. Its made in china and rev03. It state v1b18 HN210. Seems to be new code for the 20" panel. Anyone know abt this code ?

queks said:
I got myself a 2007fp. Its made in china and rev03. It state v1b18 HN210. Seems to be new code for the 20" panel. Anyone know abt this code ?

Cool, by process of elimination that might be the code for the 2007fp S-IPS panel. Lucky you.

rseiler said:
I'm new here, in the market for a monitor, had the 2007wfp in mind, read the thread, and now have grave misgivings. It's too bad all this is happening (as if there weren't enough concerns already with LCDs, like dead pixels, ghosting, etc), but a couple questions I didn't see answered:

1) When playing this "lottery," what's entailed in returning the old one? Does Dell issue a call-tag, or do you actually have to bring it somewhere, such as a FedEd office? That would be a problem for me without a car.

2) I've read that the satisfaction period is 20 days. Is that reset each time they send you one? What changes after 20 days?

3) You do always get non-refurbished units in exchange, right?

Thanks

I don't really have the firsthand experience with monitor RMAs, but I have RMA'd other things with Dell before. I got a 2007 WFP last week, and I'm fine with it as it's still A03 S-IPS and all that. Minor backlight bleeding but not enough to affect IQ enough for me to notice.

For returns, if you complain about a defect (banding, etc.), they will have you "test" the monitor as a token thing and then they'll send you a new monitor. The cross shipping is nice, so you can probably just pack up the old one in the old box and have the UPS guy take it when you receive your new one. Shipping both ways should be free. Just open up the new box quickly and grab the shipping sticker and slap it on the old box.

The 21 days is for a complete refund, and I doubt it resets. But if you don't mind constant RMAs, there's no limit on how many times you can return it for "defects" while under warranty (usually 3 years). One guy swapped his monitor 8 times before he was finally happy.

There's no guarantee on non-refurbished units as under their ToS, but if you can't tell the difference with your eyes, it shouldn't make a difference.

If you want to get a Dell, get one sooner rather than later while the bulk of the monitors in the production line and inventory are still S-IPS. Right now, I'd say the chance of getting an IPS for the 2007WFP is around 80-90%. Just my guess, though.

There are other quality monitors out there, but most of them cost more. I've seen the S-PVA panels, and really, most people (maybe not on these forums) aren't going to care that much unless you're doing high quality stuff. In that case, there are more expensive, better monitors out there, such as the NEC 20WMGX2. Yes, you can squint and look at things from an angle, but are you really going to do that while gaming?

Thanks for the reply, a123456.

I've since learned after more rooting around on the Dell forum (link) that if your monitor is defective, you will be sent a new one in replacement, and you will then get another 21 days, etc. So I guess the lesson is to test the hell out of it in the first week and make sure you're satisfied. After any given 21 days you'll be sent a refurb.

That sounds reasonable. If you do get one, usually, there are 20% off coupons (non-stackable) on Ebay selling for around $1 that should get the price down to ~320 base. They do expire, though, so make sure it's valid.

a123456 said:
That sounds reasonable. If you do get one, usually, there are 20% off coupons (non-stackable) on Ebay selling for around $1 that should get the price down to ~320 base. They do expire, though, so make sure it's valid.
I think some people did get them to stack with a $25/$150, but either way, the 20% off coupons seemed to have vanished and are no longer even for sale. Perhaps Dell is getting ready to send out a new batch, I don't know.

How do I identify the v2 or v3 of the 2001FP and 2007FP panels? I have an early 2001FP in the office (dated November 2003) that I'm very happy with, and I'm interested in getting one for home, possibly from eBay. But how can I verify that the panel is not a v3 (ie it's still IPS)?

Thanks ...

I was all set to buy one of these monitors, and then came across this. The way my luck goes, I know which one I'll get.

Does Dell ship based on the customers' location? I noticed some are having luck with monitors shipped from Nashville, and being less than 3 hours away, I would imagine its the closest warehouse to me. Has anyone that's gotten an S-PVA been able to get a refund/exchange, or are you more or less stuck with whichever one you get?

tomh009 said:
How do I identify the v2 or v3 of the 2001FP and 2007FP panels? I have an early 2001FP in the office (dated November 2003) that I'm very happy with, and I'm interested in getting one for home, possibly from eBay. But how can I verify that the panel is not a v3 (ie it's still IPS)?

Thanks ...

Enter the service menu. 2001fp have the panel code in plain view. LG LM.... or SAM LTM.... Samsung is the PVA.

I think you hold "menu" and "+" while powering up.
Then you enter the menu, enter factory reset, then enter factory.

I am not sure. I don't have that particular monitor. Later they switched to just hitting "-" after power up with "menu" and "+" held.

Snowdog said:
Enter the service menu. 2001fp have the panel code in plain view. LG LM.... or SAM LTM.... Samsung is the PVA.

I am not sure. I don't have that particular monitor. Later they switched to just hitting "-" after power up with "menu" and "+" held.

Thanks ... I guess no way of telling from the model/serial number labels? I'm just not keen on buying one and finding out I got the wrong one.

ATW said:
I was all set to buy one of these monitors, and then came across this. The way my luck goes, I know which one I'll get.

Does Dell ship based on the customers' location? I noticed some are having luck with monitors shipped from Nashville, and being less than 3 hours away, I would imagine its the closest warehouse to me. Has anyone that's gotten an S-PVA been able to get a refund/exchange, or are you more or less stuck with whichever one you get?

In the first 21 days, you're allowed to refund for whatever reason (you can just mention random things like bleeding or bad coloration or whatever), and as mentioned above, the 21 days resets each time you get the exchange. So, it might take a little work, but if you're persistent enough, you can get an IPS if that's what your heart is set on. They pay shipping both ways for exchanges.

a123456 said:
In the first 21 days, you're allowed to refund for whatever reason (you can just mention random things like bleeding or bad coloration or whatever), and as mentioned above, the 21 days resets each time you get the exchange. So, it might take a little work, but if you're persistent enough, you can get an IPS if that's what your heart is set on. They pay shipping both ways for exchanges.
That is correct... don't let them try to make you pay for shipping though, as they did to me.

BadDog said:
I used that code this morning on a new 2007wfp. Shit they charged me $17 tax for AZ :mad:
Blame your state for the tax, not Dell. It isn't their fault; if they have business presence there, they're required to charge it.

I just used the next 20% coupon provided in the thread, gulped, and plunked my plastic down. The 2007wfp is really the only monitor that has close to everything I want (HDCP, 1:1 pixel mapping, height adjustment, and USB as a bonus) in a reasonably priced panel. We'll see how it all works out.

P.S. Anyone in Michigan interested in a high-quality 19" CRT for cheap? :)

Snowdog said:

Thanks ... got into service menu on mine, but it had no panel info! All the colour settings etc (but on a plain black background unlike the 2007FP) but nothing to indicate the panel type. The main (regular) menu indicates "v 1.68" but that's the only thing I can tell ...

ATW said:
I used a coupon found on there and every time I tried to submit the order I got an error page, and now it won't let me reuse the coupon. Think I'll just pick up a Viewsonic or something instead.
Was this on the Small Business site or the Home site? The coupons I've seen there lately require you be on the SB site. If you're on the Home site, as I found yesterday, you receive a non-specific error with no hint that you're trying to use a SB coupon on Home. Helpful of them.

ATW said:
I used a coupon found on there and every time I tried to submit the order I got an error page, and now it won't let me reuse the coupon. Think I'll just pick up a Viewsonic or something instead.

As mentioned in another thread, you can just email them and ask for a 20% off code. But if you want to go Viewsonic, then go Viewsonic.

rseiler said:
Was this on the Small Business site or the Home site? The coupons I've seen there lately require you be on the SB site. If you're on the Home site, as I found yesterday, you receive a non-specific error with no hint that you're trying to use a SB coupon on Home. Helpful of them.

A short time after my last post, that thought crossed my mind. I dug up another coupon, made sure I was in SB and got the order through. After getting the error with no explanation, I just kinda' said to hell with it, but it was just a misunderstanding.

Impressions later, but for now:

-Ordered this week from Dell SMB (ordered Monday, arrived Thursday)
-Shipped out of Nevada (Made in Mexico)
-2007WFPb REV A03
-OCT 2006 90-112
-V1B18 RT803

rseiler said:
Impressions later, but for now:

-Ordered this week from Dell SMB (ordered Monday, arrived Thursday)
-Shipped out of Nevada
-2007WFPb REV A03
-OCT 2006 90-112
-V1B18 RT803

I ordered Tuesday, it was also shipped from NV. Whatever you got I am sure it will be what I get tomorrow.

what is the diffrence between the 2007WFP and WFPb? i ordered a 2007WFP and behind the screen says WFPb

mista ting said:
what is the diffrence between the 2007WFP and WFPb? i ordered a 2007WFP and behind the screen says WFPb

The b just means the case is black.

Mine is supposed to be here tommorow, bit I'm a tad confused. When I submitted the order it said 2007FPW rather than WFP, but I just figured it was a typo, no big deal. Now my shipping invoice says 2007FP. Anyone else seen this? I'm gonna' be highly pissed if I get an FP.

ATW said:
Mine is supposed to be here tommorow, bit I'm a tad confused. When I submitted the order it said 2007FPW rather than WFP, but I just figured it was a typo, no big deal. Now my shipping invoice says 2007FP. Anyone else seen this? I'm gonna' be highly pissed if I get an FP.

Oh chit! Well when UPS arrives look at the side of the box, if it says 2007WFP then you are OK. If you see 2007FP tell the UPS man wrong item and send back and contact customer service online (calling on phone is a waste of time I have found.)

ATW said:

Mines said the same thing when i ordred the WFP dont worry lol, damn dell really needs to change how they list things

I hate Dell. Received my 2007WFP yesterday, and of course it the PM330 PVA panel. At first it seemed ok, but after using it for a few hours it has weird color shifts on dark colors, bad viewing angles and the real killer, input lag. Looks like I will be returning this. How fast is Dell about sending out the monitors for exchange?

Gaara said:
I hate Dell. Received my 2007WFP yesterday, and of course it the PM330 PVA panel. At first it seemed ok, but after using it for a few hours it has weird color shifts on dark colors, bad viewing angles and the real killer, input lag. Looks like I will be returning this. How fast is Dell about sending out the monitors for exchange?
It's Russian Roulette!

Please list your other vital stats, such as where it was made, where it shipped from, the rev, and the manufacturing date.

Perhaps it comes down to which shipping warehouse you happen to live closest to at this point. If you're West Coast (which I bet you're not), all should be fine. Of course, that's a wild guess.

Made in Mexico, shipped from Austin, Texas, rev. A03 and manufactured in October 2006.

PM330 S-PVA. Had it out of the box 5 minutes and right back in the box it goes. Knew I shoulda' bought something else rather taking a chance, but I'm an idiot.

Ordered Tuesday, shipped from Tennessee on Wednesday, arrived today.

PM330 S-PVA, Rev. A03, made in Mexico. It actually looks decent, backlight bleed is fairly low (there's some at the corners but only visible when the lights are off), but there is a pixel stuck on blue that shows up on dark screens, that I've been unable to cure using Dead Pixel Tool. There may also be a minor input lag issue, but I won't know until I've put it through a few more tests. I'll likely do an RMA on it, but I need to decide whether to do a direct exchange, or save a little and upgrade to a 2407WFP, or take a real chance on backlight bleed and look at Samsung's 225BW.

I really wish the 2007FP (the non-widescreen) was HDCP-compliant. It would have made my decision a lot easier (I'd be going with that). Wish I had an S-IPS panel that I could do a side-by-side comparison with too. :(

LoneWolf said:
Ordered Tuesday, shipped from Tennessee on Wednesday, arrived today.

We both recieved monitors from the same warehouse on the same day and both got jipped.

I was going to ship it right back, but figured it's here and I've got 21 days...I might as well try it. I'm completely new to LCD's so it's hard to judge the con's of this monitor without an IPS version side-by-side. I haven't seen any noticeable backlight bleed, unless I'm just not looking hard enough. If I lean my head slightly to either direction, the details in the dark areas become more dinstinguished, and the color drop-off at extreme angles doesn't seem too significant to me, although it may to someone else. I'll probably try and get another one cross-shipped and try my luck one more time, and just keep whatever I happen to get.

ATW said:
PM330 S-PVA. Had it out of the box 5 minutes and right back in the box it goes. Knew I shoulda' bought something else rather taking a chance, but I'm an idiot.

You've got 21 days. Return and try again. I've not had the opportunity to behold an NEC or Acer Ferrari, but the way S-IPS handles color wash still blows my mind. For the first time, I see the same tint of red or gray in this forum and it's pleasing to Jod's eyes. :D

Jodiuh said:
You've got 21 days. Return and try again. I've not had the opportunity to behold an NEC or Acer Ferrari, but the way S-IPS handles color wash still blows my mind. For the first time, I see the same tint of red or gray in this forum and it's pleasing to Jod's eyes. :D
Can you rephrase that? I'm not familiar with color wash.

I'd actually like to have a PVA alongside my S-IPS right now so that I could compare black levels in videos. PVA is supposed to be better at that. I've noticed with S-IPS it can be unconvincing, and it's distracting in night scenes.

ATW said:
We both recieved monitors from the same warehouse on the same day and both got jipped.

I was going to ship it right back, but figured it's here and I've got 21 days...I might as well try it. I'm completely new to LCD's so it's hard to judge the con's of this monitor without an IPS version side-by-side. I haven't seen any noticeable backlight bleed, unless I'm just not looking hard enough. If I lean my head slightly to either direction, the details in the dark areas become more dinstinguished, and the color drop-off at extreme angles doesn't seem too significant to me, although it may to someone else. I'll probably try and get another one cross-shipped and try my luck one more time, and just keep whatever I happen to get.
All of my complaints are relatively minor. Some of it makes me wonder if this whole S-IPS vs. S-PVA bit isn't blown a little out of proportion.

Backlight bleed could happen on any panel, so that's not an S-IPS vs. S-PVA issue. Regardless, mine isn't major. The stuck pixel is only noticeable in testing the monitor with test programs.

I agree that not having an S-IPS display to test side-by-side is a big factor. I'd love to see a site like TFTCentral do a comparison between the two to lay this to rest. My biggest dilemma on returning is :

a)While I don't want a stuck pixel, I don't want a display not as good as the one I have, which is relatively decent.

b)I came from a 19" CRT (18" viewable) which has more height, even though it has less width. The 2407WFP would cost me considerably more, but would have the additional size. I keep my monitors a long time, and I don't want to find I can't do without something. I want HDCP mainly for future-proofing, and 1:1 pixel mapping because I can't run every game at max-res. The 2007FP doesn't have HDCP; only Dell's widescreens are touted as having this, so that's not an option.

I guess my final option is to buy a behemoth 24" widescreen flat CRT on Ebay. A vendor on the other side of my state is selling the HP-branded Sony's for $199 (pickup only) and the Sonys for $249. But then I have an even heavier monitor than when I started, and am consuming more power, not less like with the LCD. Decisions, decisions....:(

Back