Dell 2709W

For anyone in Canada, Dell has another sale on the 2709W up currently, save $600 off regular ($999) so it's on sale for $599 currently.

Seriously considering getting on, even with the 'high input lag' that seems fairly prevalent with the 24/27" *VA's Dell puts out.

That any my replacement 2007WFP has just started to develop the image retention problems that the 2005 I sent back to get replaced had.

$599 is a pretty unbeatable price for a fairly good monitor right? :D

I have an older system with a x1650 Pro AGP card that has the Dual-link DVI output.
Will the DVI cable that comes with the 2709W work with this card???

LOL!!! Just got the monitor today and it looks great!!! No issues with the cable and I just installed 10e's profiles.

Last edited:
Hey guys, long time lurker here, first time poster.

I have been looking for a new monitor for my macbook and my PS3 as an all-in-one, and I pulled the trigger yesterday on the 2709W when Dell was having a one day only, $450 off sale. $630 CAD shipped is a really nice price. Can't wait for it to arrive. Thanks for all the info here guys.

Congrats; good price. You will love the display, the black levels and contrast are quit good. No black crush and limited gamma shift. I really like mine and I have had it a while.
Video looks real good on this display. I use it for HDTV wile I am surfing the web, and other stuff.

Go here for testing/calibration: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Dave

quick question for anyone who owns the monitor. I'm currently very tempted to grab this monitor, but sometimes i do some casual movie editing, and music to image sync is very important to me. Now i've read there is lag with the monitor, would that affect my ability to sync the music while making movies?

If so, is there another monitor that's not a TN panel but have less lag? Possibly the 2408s with new firmware? Would that be able to handle movie making?

Wow...my order status went from confirmed to shipped in one day. My estimated delivery date went from 5/4/09 to 4/21/09! I'm even more excited now since that's my day off! I'll post initial impressions when it arrives.

@ fe_918

I use a Samsung 275T+ monitor, which is essentially the same monitor as this dell (same samsung panel and many shared parts). Video editing is a key part of my job, so this monitor is used quite a bit for it.

Although I have tested the monitor with timers against a crt monitor and found it to have considerable lag, I haven't been able to see a discrepency between sound and video when viewing the finished product of media editing, even on other machines such as DVD players/CRT TVs, other computers, etc.

Basically the monitor reviewed in this thread and mine are both good for media editing if you ask me. I use it and my job depends on it.

Wow...my order status went from confirmed to shipped in one day. My estimated delivery date went from 5/4/09 to 4/21/09! I'm even more excited now since that's my day off! I'll post initial impressions when it arrives.

You may get it even sooner than that. When they have stock they get stuff out pretty quickly.

Dave

You may get it even sooner than that. When they have stock they get stuff out pretty quickly.

Dave

So you're saying it might even come in tomorrow?! :eek: :D I got the email that said it shipped yesterday (Does Dell ship on weekends?), but trying to access the tracking info yielded no results, so I am going to check the status tomorrow since that is the first business day. Oh well, either way, I am already happy with the service Dell provides, given that this is my first ever Dell purchase.

@ fe_918

I use a Samsung 275T+ monitor, which is essentially the same monitor as this dell (same samsung panel and many shared parts). Video editing is a key part of my job, so this monitor is used quite a bit for it.

Although I have tested the monitor with timers against a crt monitor and found it to have considerable lag, I haven't been able to see a discrepency between sound and video when viewing the finished product of media editing, even on other machines such as DVD players/CRT TVs, other computers, etc.

Basically the monitor reviewed in this thread and mine are both good for media editing if you ask me. I use it and my job depends on it.

wow thanks for the reply, that was very helpful. I was a little scared because some people seem to be freaking out cuz of the input lag, some even said they can't even get use to the mouse because of the delay.... But since you use this for professional video editing, i think i will be fine. Gonna grab one next time it goes on sale for sure

Ah, ok. Sounds good. I'm just way too excited for this to arrive. I just gotta figure out desk space arrangements now. I think I might have to rearrange my whole desk to get it to fit right lol.

I just bought one of these 2 weeks ago and there huge! I guess it's time to retire my 8800GT

wow thanks for the reply, that was very helpful. I was a little scared because some people seem to be freaking out cuz of the input lag, some even said they can't even get use to the mouse because of the delay.... But since you use this for professional video editing, i think i will be fine. Gonna grab one next time it goes on sale for sure

It's impossible for me to see a difference in mouse movement when even when up against CRT monitors. Only during first person shooter video games is it noticeable in my opinion, and I don't really feel that this SPVA monitor was made for gaming; more for image quality in media display if you ask me. If I wanted to spend this kind of money on a gaming monitor, I'd buy something completely different.

I use this SPVA panel because of it's contrast, black level, resolution, size, and ability to measure and match what comes out of my printer when I'm working with photos so that what's onscreen is exactly what comes out on paper. I chose this 27" size because it has relatively large pixels comapred to a 24 (same res, smaller area) or 30 (larger area, but higher resolution, reducing pixel size), and that helps me clearly see the images displayed so that I know what I'm doing on the job in terms of image noise, sharpness, focus, etc.

Even something as crisp and exact as a power point slide show switching slides at key points of the music will line up perfectly if have a good synchronized finger on the mouse. If you don't have a synchronized finger, better options such as Pinnacle or programs in Adobe Production Premium will allow you to adjust the video clips along side a visualized representation of the sound clips.

mine is on the delivery truck,i'm upstairs waiting UPS comes up with stories

Received the monitor this morning! It's HUGE! :D Very happy with it. Loaded it up with 10e's profile and it looks great.

Manufacture Date: April 2009, Rev. A02. No dead pixels that I can notice so far. Also, I played a bit of Bioshock on my PS3 through it, and there wasn't any noticeable lag, or at least none that is enough to bother me.

Here's a pic of it running as a vertical monitor for my macbook, and shows how monstrous this thing is:
IMG_0037.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I think I ran into a little snaggle.

I installed 10e's profile and everything looked great, colors are very well reproduced. Except in one very weird way. Whenever I search on Google, the results come up purple, but not the kind of purple that happens because you have already clicked the link, it's darker. Weird part is, it is ONLY the font that is off color. Everything else looks awesome. Whites are white, blacks are black, and the colors, while a bit over saturated, are still represented well. It is only the blue of the google search results that have a purplish tint to it.

Any ideas? I've tried resetting to factory settings and doing things over, didn't work. I did notice however that whenever I put the monitor to Video mode instead of Graphics, it fixes the problem. Is that a bad idea to use Video mode for computer usage?

Thanks in advance

Ok, I think I ran into a little snaggle.

I installed 10e's profile and everything looked great, colors are very well reproduced. Except in one very weird way. Whenever I search on Google, the results come up purple, but not the kind of purple that happens because you have already clicked the link, it's darker. Weird part is, it is ONLY the font that is off color. Everything else looks awesome. Whites are white, blacks are black, and the colors, while a bit over saturated, are still represented well. It is only the blue of the google search results that have a purplish tint to it.

Any ideas? I've tried resetting to factory settings and doing things over, didn't work. I did notice however that whenever I put the monitor to Video mode instead of Graphics, it fixes the problem. Is that a bad idea to use Video mode for computer usage?

Thanks in advance

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mac OS X still uses a gamma of 1.8 vs. Windows 2.2 doesn't it? Not sure if that would create the weird purple color you're talking about, but it's worth a shot.

I can try and generate a Mac specific profile from my work laptop > Macbook Pro if you'd like... I'll check it later tonight, and if it is a different gamma, I'll create a Mac specific one.

Thanks 10e. Yes OS X does use 1.8. But I was messing around with some of the settings and even tried switching it to Mac gamma, and still didn't work. 2.2 has always worked better for me anyway, since that is what I use in my calibration for my macbook screen.

The only thing I can do to fix it like I said in my previous post was to change the mode to Video instead of graphics, and it's worked out ok for now, but even with messing with the hue and saturation. it doesn't look as good as I had it before the purple thing happened.

Thanks for the help

Alright, did a bit more messing around, and still cant seem to get the problem fixed...

I did notice though that the blue/purple tints seem to be inverted. On the Head-fi.org forum, the logo should be a pale bluish color, but on the monitor it is very purple. Same with Google results, the text comes up purple.

I tried using a different source as well, my PS3, and on the browser on the PS3 it does the same thing, purple tint on blue text.

Maybe I have a defective unit?

UPDATE:

I just finished talking to a couple Customer Service reps from Dell, and I explained my situation and Mary, one of the reps, simply said, "Ok, I'll just send you a replacement then". Simple as that. Amazing service from her, appreciated a lot. So I'll be getting a new 2709W in a few days, and I'll report back with another update.

I have this screen on order and I want a new PC to go with it. I am not a gamer but I like a fast system because I am very impatient and also trying to future proof. My current motherboard has an onboard graphics card, with my new system, whatever it might be and I was wondering if I should get a separate GPU to do the screen justice. I do all the normal things, surf internet, watch dvds etc. I should mention that I hate excessive noise so I am concerned that the GPUs have a fan which adds to the noise level. Would a passive card such as the gigabyte 4850 be suitable?

I have this screen on order and I want a new PC to go with it. I am not a gamer but I like a fast system because I am very impatient and also trying to future proof. My current motherboard has an onboard graphics card, with my new system, whatever it might be and I was wondering if I should get a separate GPU to do the screen justice. I do all the normal things, surf internet, watch dvds etc. I should mention that I hate excessive noise so I am concerned that the GPUs have a fan which adds to the noise level. Would a passive card such as the gigabyte 4850 be suitable?

Yes; but keep in mind that your case will need to be well ventilated. Make sure your new system has a 120 mm case fan, because they can move a good bit of air without making a lot of noise. Silenx makes some fans that are quit and still move a lot of air by being airodynamic.

The 2709W does not require a super graphics card like the 30 inchers do, because it does not have the super high resolution. I is a great display for the money.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, I have an Antec P182 case to start with and I will check out the Silenx fans.
All good fun!

Also check out Noctua fans - there is a lot of technology to keep them silent - bearings designed for silence, textured blade surface on one side while smooth on the other, hitches/notches cut on blade ends to spread the frequency range of the sound wider to make it less noticeable, speed limiting resistors that come with them (you can switch them to your liking/needs), and more. I've been a big fan of their fans.

The fan on my video card (evga's GeForce GTX 260) is indeed the loudest part of my whole system (other than the speakers of course) even at auto-variable speed at idle, so I do understand your concern.

Also keep in mind that the placement of your case relative to your furniture/ears can be just as or more important in terms of keeping your computer silent. A very silent computer tower placed right next to your display can seem louder than a rather loud tower tucked away in a cabinet or behind a desk (although keep ventilation in mind for temperatures).

Well I just ordered one of these directly from Dell. I had just installed a 2407 and my other half got monitor envy so said okay you can have it and I'll order me a slightly bigger one, muhahaha. Got it for $593. Am assuming at this point it will be an 02 revision. Any advice or suggestions for particular issues to watch for. I noticed with the 2407 the brightness seemed extreme even when I set brightness control down to almost 0

Got my 2 2709's a couple weeks ago. Both are A01's. They are FLAWLESS. I did set the brightness down to 50 on both and may go lower, but other than that there haven't been any problems. Good luck with it.

Quick question guys, I've seen the recent deal on this monitor but I've also been looking at the HP LP2475w monitor as well...what do you think is the better deal? I'll use it mainly for web design, maybe some games and movies. I realize that the HP is wide-gamut, but I don't believe it would be that big of a problem.

I've been waiting for Apple to release a new monitor that'll work with my older DVI MBP, but I've given up now. Thanks for the help!

i just picked up the dell 2709W and it looks like mines is defected where after 20minutes of use i see ALOT of red sparkles/pixels dancing around on a grey/dark background. in white or solid colors (boot into bios) you cannot see. if you leave the monitor off for 1hr or so then turn it on, the red pixels are gone for a few minutes then would reappear.

That sux bbchucks. I would definitely be calling them and taking advantage of the advanced replacement. Hope it works out for ya, keep us updated.

Well mine is supposed to arrive today. Is there any one profile out that most find best? With my 2407 it is/was just way too bright even turning brightness more or less to 0 and trying to manually adjust things is difficult for me. I am hopeing I can find a good ICC & settings to save myself the trouble of spending days trying to do it manually. I found several links in this thread but they seem dead.

anyone use hardware to calibrate this monitor?
want to know which monitor settings did you choose?

using MAC Gamma, Adobe RGB color settings? or did you use custom RGB?
also do you turn on dynamic contrast when you calibrate ? turn brightness to 0? contrast at its highest?

Well showed up hooked it up and so far so good no stuck pixels I can spot just not sure on how to best set the color like bbchuck. Right now I have it set to Preset Mutimedia, brightness down to around 18, contrast at default 50 and dynamic contrast on.

Any suggestions on if there are better all round settings?

Last edited:
Well a couple things:

First off Dynamic - Yuck I ended up turning that feature off almost as soon as I'd enabled it. I hated what it did to contrast. In the end until I find some better settings I'm now using the following custom settings that another user mentioned but with the default profiles and it seems decent, color wise

Red: 96
Green: 93
Blue: 97

Brightness: 0

Oh and mine was an 02 revision, so far the few online games I have I haven't noticed any ghosting or lag issues yet but am not a hardcore gamer these days

Back