Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

Is it possible that I could walk out of this mess with two functional displays?
That would be nice, but I doubt it. My guess is that the new monitor will come with a return shipping label. If you don't send back your old one, you will be charged full price for the new one.

ive replaced my A02 with another A02 because the component inputs died, and dell paid for shipping. if they dont, call them and they will schedule a time for you for UPS, fedex, or DHL (they contract with all 3) to come to your house and pick up the monitor. the delivery man will have a label when he comes to the door. all you do is put the monitor back in the box it came with with all the cords, seal it, and give it to the delivery man when he comes and hell slap the label on and take it.

you receive your new monitor before sending out the old one. i wouldnt play games with dell by keeping their monitor too long. if they dont receive it in a specific time, they will charge you full price for the new one you received. also, dont play games with the people on the phone saying "well you never told me how to send it back" because youre just asking for trouble.

good luck, i just noticed that my 2407wfp A02 is like..."half shutting off" all of a sudden. the screen will go black like the black when you switch between inputs, but then the picture will come back on in a second. im not worried about it yet, but i feel that its a sign of things to come.

3 year standard warranty ftw.

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd report my luck in trying to exchange my five month old A02 with a A04. At first, I went through the usual nonsense of being pushed from department to department. I even had one man tell me that I didn't have a Warranty with my monitor and when I told him that I was looking at my Invoice right now which clearly stated that I did have a three year limited warranty he simply told me that there was nothing he could do since it was out side of the 30day return policy. So, he sent me off to another department. I restated my story and had a hell of a time trying to understand what this fellow was saying to me, but at least it seemed that he actually cared about my problem. It wasn't long before he put me in touch with his super-visor and he seemed confused as to what I actually wanted. I told him that I had the defective A02 revision and needed the A04. He asked me what was wrong with it and I told him the very large list of commonly known problems and he seemed a tad confused. The one thing that seemed to help get my point accross the most, was the fact that the menu clearly depicted the ability to change pixel mapping and aspect ratios, but was completely faded out. I just kept repeating that this was a feature that I understood I was getting and didn't. The "broken" Component inputs helped too.

Anyways, he told me that they'd send out a replacement, but couldn't guarantee me that it would be the correct revision (he didn't seem to understand that there was a difference within the particular model). After reading many of your posts, it seems as though I'd be guaranteed a A04, but if I'm not, I can just send it back.

This leads me to my next question, is it standard procedure for Dell to send out the replacement product before you return yours? He made no mention of how I was to return my "defective" monitor to Dell. Is it possible that I could walk out of this mess with two functional displays? I hope my experience helps any of you who are preparing to try and do this as well. Also, while trying my best to go through the electronic responses as accurately as possible, there seems to be no way to get through with out an actual Dell PC or service number. I have neither, so I just mashed zero repeatedly, heh. Good luck!

I think you will get the A04 since this is all they seam to be shipping now. Question about replacement though. If you ask for a replacement when your monitor goes bad, but it have pass the 30 Days return policy already, do they give you a Refurbish one? Do they send you out a new one and you can just exchange it when the driver come? This way, you don't have to be monitorless and wait week after week for a new one. It is also common to get back light bleed on this monitor? At first, when I got mine it wasn't that noticable. But I think it have gotten worse.

I think you will get the A04 since this is all they seam to be shipping now. Question about replacement though. If you ask for a replacement when your monitor goes bad, but it have pass the 30 Days return policy already, do they give you a Refurbish one? Do they send you out a new one and you can just exchange it when the driver come? This way, you don't have to be monitorless and wait week after week for a new one. It is also common to get back light bleed on this monitor? At first, when I got mine it wasn't that noticable. But I think it have gotten worse.

Yea, they will send you a refurbished model, but possibly new in a refurbished box.
You will get a pre-paid shipping label to send back the monitor within 5 days. Free of charge, of course.

I dunno', he said they'd send me a "new" monitor out. Let's hope they're not refurbished!

Thanks for the advice guys, I just figured that they would want my monitor back first, but seeing as how they have my Credit Card number, it makes sence that they don't have to worry about getting the old one back.

There is a very interesting thread on the Dell Community Forum:

This has been a frustrating experience with these monitors. First one I got was really bad, very bright and way too much overdrive. Got it replaced with another 2407 which was much better than the original one. The second 24" monitor is MISSING the contrast adjustment it only has brightness. Returned the original so I was down to a single 24" monitor.

Decided that I wanted a dual 24" monitor setup, so ordered another 2407 on Monday. Just received the new monitor and the monitor is much better than either of the first two. Guess what, this monitor has BOTH the brightness and contrast adjustment.

How is it that one of the monitors is missing the contrast adjustment while the other has the contrast adjustment? All three monitors are Rev A04.

Would appreciate someone from DELL contacting me to get my 2407FPW that is missing the contrast adjustment replaced with one that is not missing functionality. I am still within my return period. Thanks

Here's the Dell link.

I just received an A04 version, and it too has no contrast adjustment, how about others here? Thanks.

I don't have contrast adjustment on my A04. I do have brightness and r, b, g adjustment.

I'm connected via DVI. I thought if you're connected via DVI, then contrast and brightness, and other adjustments are supposed to be made from your computer / graphics card driver anyway?

I don't have contrast adjustment on my A04. I do have brightness and r, b, g adjustment.

I'm connected via DVI. I thought if you're connected via DVI, then contrast and brightness, and other adjustments are supposed to be made from your computer / graphics card driver anyway?
I'm also connected via DVI.

I did some research and this is what I found.

NOTE: When using DVI source, the contrast adjustment is not available.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2407WFP/en/setup.htm#Using the OSD

Dell.jpg

Hello,

I am a bit confused with my 2407 that I recently bought. In my opinion, the black level is far from good and there is no detail in dark colors.

Could someone with a 2407, A03 or A04, check out the following page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

and check what the lowest number visible under "contrast test" is. If you could check with brightness being about 50 and also about 25, I'd be really happy.

Considering that the results I get are far from good, I'm suspecting a faulty display but I want to check before I call Dell.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I am a bit confused with my 2407 that I recently bought. In my opinion, the black level is far from good and there is no detail in dark colors.

Could someone with a 2407, A03 or A04, check out the following page: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

and check what the lowest number visible under "contrast test" is. If you could check with brightness being about 50 and also about 25, I'd be really happy.

Considering that the results I get are far from good, I'm suspecting a faulty display but I want to check before I call Dell.

Thanks in advance.
On that particular test, your gamma setting will have a much larger impact on the result than will your brightness setting.

Regardless, here are the results on my A04 with desktop gamma set to the 'default' 1.00 in my ATi control panel - I can see all the way down to 2 with brightness at 50, and down to 6 with brightness at 25.

The way I usually run it however, with desktop gamma set to .65 in my ATi control panel and brightness at 15, the lowest number I can see is 40. These are the same settings I use on my A03, and the equivalent of which on all of my other LCD monitors as well.

I guess I like it dark... LOL. :D

With my brightness at fifty and everything default in my drivers, I can see down to 1 on my A02.

I received my new A04 today. I was a bit worried at first, because the box stated A03, so I guess you were right about them reusing boxes. I opened her up, and it was an A04, so all is good. Here's the part that worries me. I found no return slip or anything of the like telling me what to do next. The only documentation short of the manual was the packing slip. So unless Dell calls me or e-mails me, I'll be running dual monitors for a while. ;)

Hi from spain!

I have been reading this thread since it have just 4 pages...

I first buy an a03 from Dell in first of February... I return it.... But the image quality was superb...

Then I bought an a04 from Ebay... and yes... it does 1:1... but oh man... it have an annoying brightnes / back light... even if you turn it to 0 loseing some quality of picture it still anoying... I don't know what to do...

I have it connect via VGA... in 2 or 3 days I will have it connected to a new machine with a 8800GTS 640mb... and hope with DVI it will be solved (i think it will not...) ...

There is no easy return option because I loose the porexpan that comes with original box ... so...

for example reading this lines of text in 1:1 1600x1200 is a fucking nightmare because they look really brigt!

If this doesnt change I will go for a superb EIZO screen... paying lots of money but this screen is a fucking nightmare to my eyes...

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/s2411w/index.asp

can anyone take a complete photo of their a04 secret menu?

this menu:
3020gj.jpg

I change some values that doesn't come the factory defaults makeing a clear user...

thankyou!

The values I need are: Reg No: 0000 RD Val. 0000 WR Val. 0000

what are this values???

I ordered mine on Saturday (at a Dell Kiosk). I checked online earlier and it tells me that DHL is the shipper, then it says the delivery date is between this Thursday and Monday(I live in Texas). All I hear is bad stories about DHL, should I be worried?

I ordered mine on Saturday (at a Dell Kiosk). I checked online earlier and it tells me that DHL is the shipper, then it says the delivery date is between this Thursday and Monday(I live in Texas). All I hear is bad stories about DHL, should I be worried?

DHL = Documents Hopelessly Lost.

Unfortunately dell thinks that DHL is the best thing since sliced bread....

DHL = Documents Hopelessly Lost.

Unfortunately dell thinks that DHL is the best thing since sliced bread....

Oh well.. DHL is bad but don't worry about it... If anything happened to the LCD, you got Dell's 21 days return policy covered. Unless the package is lost, that's different story... :rolleyes:

I just went into the hidden menu on my A04 and it says 486 hours. That's got to count when the display is sleeping, right? No way I've used it that much since I got it - I don't work at home or anything.

I just went into the hidden menu on my A04 and it says 486 hours. That's got to count when the display is sleeping, right? No way I've used it that much since I got it - I don't work at home or anything.

Yep, the counter continues to accrue hours even when the monitor is off. Do you leave your PC on a lot? I remember reading that the monitor's counter is based on a signal it gets from the video card.

I remember reading that the monitor's counter is based on a signal it gets from the video card.

It's either the video card signal + power available or just having power available to the monitor that runs the counter... That's what I could gather when I had the A04.

I just received my Dell 2407 monitor from Dell Canada and it's a A04 revision.

First impression: :eek:

The monitor is huge. The colors seem more vibrant than on my viewsonic VX2025WM. At first I thought my viewsonic was too dark but it's the Dell that is so bright. It's weird because I always saw my Viewsonic as a very good monitor but next to the Dell it looks so washed out. I even thought at first that plugging 2 monitors on my video card may have lowered the quality on the viewsonic. Maybe it's the contrast I don't know.

I played a little bit of Day of Defeat Source and immediatly saw the difference, COLORS! This game has little color and with my Viewsonic it looked washed out and I was used to it. Now with the 2407, it looks at lot more like a CRT.

I do have a question. When I'm in windows (desktop) the screen is BRIGHT. When I go in a game like WoW or DoD it's very dark, why ? Will I have to adjust gamma/brightness each time I go into a game? Anyone else see this?

Just received the A04 a few days ago.
Everything appears to work great sofar....

There is something I noticed though, it appears the panel itself isn't perfectly centered within the bezel, the panel seems to be left-aligned to the bezel, leaving a wider unused space on the right side.. Those good old CRT's can be manually adjusted to compensate for such imperfections..

Anyway, are there others having this?

Here a pic to clearify the issue a bit...
Others having this?

align.jpg

It's either the video card signal + power available or just having power available to the monitor that runs the counter... That's what I could gather when I had the A04.

Sooo is this true of all ports or just DVI? I guess you wouldn't leave a 360 turned on like you would a desktop but what if you are using the VGA or component imputs?

I recieved my A04 version today, I had a crt hooked up previously. The screen defaulted at 1680 x 1050? I had an lg204t hooked up for a bit, maybe that is why (it is a 20.1 inch screen). Anyway, I want the bars on the side (I don't want to lose the tops and bottoms or get the image squished), and I can't get it to work.

I check off the shortcut to get into bf2142 and it crashes to desktop.

The reason I got this lcd was that I was supposed to be able to have the bars on the side and keep my ati x1900xtx (since ati does not support 1:1 except on their laptops).

Any advice on settings?

I changed the default to 1900 x 1200 for the desktop and the 1:1 - aspect - fill went gray, so I changed it back to 1680 x 1050 and the 1:1 etc came back up as options.

How do I get this monitor to work with bf2142, not crash to desktop immediately - with the black bars?

I recieved my A04 version today, I had a crt hooked up previously. The screen defaulted at 1680 x 1050? I had an lg204t hooked up for a bit, maybe that is why (it is a 20.1 inch screen). Anyway, I want the bars on the side (I don't want to lose the tops and bottoms or get the image squished), and I can't get it to work.

I check off the shortcut to get into bf2142 and it crashes to desktop.

The reason I got this lcd was that I was supposed to be able to have the bars on the side and keep my ati x1900xtx (since ati does not support 1:1 except on their laptops).

Any advice on settings?

I changed the default to 1900 x 1200 for the desktop and the 1:1 - aspect - fill went gray, so I changed it back to 1680 x 1050 and the 1:1 etc came back up as options.

How do I get this monitor to work with bf2142, not crash to desktop immediately - with the black bars?
With your computer, leave it set to 1900 x 1200. If you connect a Xbox or other device that outputs 1080p the 1:1 pixel map option will be available.

i just got my A04 2407.. is there any i need to be aware of? this thing is bright.. any tips?

I just reinstalled bf2142, some setting was stuck from the crt, I reistalled bf2142 and the scree looks perfect bars and all running at 1600x1200 etc.

Other than that the colors are fantastic, I am currently adjusting to the screen - i take bf2142 pretty seriously - I played a couple of days and completely sucked. But, I seem to be getting good again.

The pick is better than my lg204t (20.1 inch) widescreen, but with the lg I did not have to adjust to the 'speed' change. I could not adjust to to squished screen - the lg automatically stretched the screen.

For movies, the screen looks better than my 36inch sdtv, and nearly as good as my 42inch LG plasma I just bought for my bedroom. (the LG tv does have vga input as well as dvi.... mmmmm).

I am thinking of getting a 2407FPW but as you can see from my sig, I have a 2001FP which arguably has one of the best image quality of all displays. I wonder if I'll be ok? I know I got a 1907FP and it WAS HORRIBLE. That was seriously my bad because I didn't research it and when I found out it was TN, I was like NO WONDER. I will never buy a TN screen again. Hmm, I wonder if I'll have this same reaction with the 2407FPW.

Also, now I realize I'm asking for you guys to decide what I like....hey its possible! I found one testimonial from a guy on the Dell forums that Dazed Dell linked to:

My bad, I should have read the manual.
I am picky about the 2407fpw after getting used to the awesome image quality of the first generation DELL flat panels (2001FP and 2405).
Thanks for mentioning the DVI & contrast.

ok.. how do i check backlighting?

btw, i found one dead/stuck pixels :( should i call dell and exchange it? it's noticeable too..
I'm not sure how to check the back lighting. Sorry to hear about the dead pixel. Did you try rubbing it out? Use a soft cloth and lightly massage the area where the pixel is stuck. That sometimes works. If that doesn't work call Dell and insist they exchange it. Specially if it's noticeable.

I'm not sure how to check the back lighting. Sorry to hear about the dead pixel. Did you try rubbing it out? Use a soft cloth and lightly massage the area where the pixel is stuck. That sometimes works. If that doesn't work call Dell and insist they exchange it. Specially if it's noticeable.

Ya I tried that method and it doesnt work :( and it is very noticeable on all background colors except black... i think the backlighting isnt terrible on this one.. :(

Ya I tried that method and it doesnt work :( and it is very noticeable on all background colors except black... i think the backlighting isnt terrible on this one.. :(
From reading here it seems Dell is pretty generous when it comes to dead pixels. I would return it even though it's a hassle.

From reading here it seems Dell is pretty generous when it comes to dead pixels. I would return it even though it's a hassle.

i know.. it's a hassle.. anyone here have the direct # for a good customer service for dell?

i finally got it exchange after 2 hours of telling them to exchange it and not a return.. so hopefully i get it by tuesday or wed and i hope there's nothing wrong with it..

I am thinking of getting a 2407FPW but as you can see from my sig, I have a 2001FP which arguably has one of the best image quality of all displays. I wonder if I'll be ok? I know I got a 1907FP and it WAS HORRIBLE. That was seriously my bad because I didn't research it and when I found out it was TN, I was like NO WONDER. I will never buy a TN screen again. Hmm, I wonder if I'll have this same reaction with the 2407FPW.

Also, now I realize I'm asking for you guys to decide what I like....hey its possible! I found one testimonial from a guy on the Dell forums that Dazed Dell linked to:

My bad, I should have read the manual.
I am picky about the 2407fpw after getting used to the awesome image quality of the first generation DELL flat panels (2001FP and 2405).
Thanks for mentioning the DVI & contrast.

I have a 2407 and an NEC 20WMGX2... I love the 2407 even more so than the NEC. The difference in size is huge, and the difference in image quality is minimal between the two.... You will not be disapointed with the 2407!

i finally got it exchange after 2 hours of telling them to exchange it and not a return.. so hopefully i get it by tuesday or wed and i hope there's nothing wrong with it..
Compare the 2nd to the 1st one and keep the best of the two. :)

does anybody think or know of a new version of the 2407 will be out that will allow 1080p over component? I have a ps3, and am planning to connect my PC to the DVI, so I can't have the ps3 plugged in at the same time, and I don't want to have to go to the back and switch DVI cables everytime.

The only thing holding me back from getting this monitor is that apparently the component picture is pretty fuzzy :( and of course no support for 1080p over component...

Back