Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

Just an FYI guys ...

I ordered a 2407WFP about three weeks ago. $628 shipped. I received it about two weeks ago. I delayed posting my thoughts on the monitor because I had a LAN party last weekend and I wanted to make sure I put the monitor through some serious use (gaming, serious? Definitely! >.> ) before posting anything that I might not be certain about.

Note, my monitor is the latest revision, A04. I connect it to my PC via DVI. My buddy who came to my LAN party brought his Xbox 360, which we used to experiment with my monitor. Also, worth noting is that this monitor is a direct replacement for a 2005FPW, a S-IPS 20" panel that I consider the best monitor I've ever owned.

My video card is an nVidia 7590GT (soon to be upgraded, depending on what kind of offering/competition ATi brings to the table). The games I play are largely Warcraft III, Half-Life 2, Final Fantasy XI and some occasional Need for Speed: Carbon or Most Wanted. Not the most demanding games.

The monitor performs flawlessly. My initial thoughts on the monitor were that it is BLAZINGLY bright, almost too bright to use regularly. It bothered me for the first day of use, but after I got it adjusted properly, it doesn't bother me at all anymore. The black level is VERY black, and it does exhibit signs of detail loss when viewing dark areas of the screen at a straight-on angle. At first this also bothered me (my 2005FPW did no such thing, being a S-IPS panel), but in my opinion it's not nearly as bad as I've read it can be. Either I'm not as picky as some people (I'm pretty picky though), or my monitor lessens this problem a LOT. Whichever it is, I am very content with my 2407. There's no noticable ghosting in the games I play (and believe me, I've used lots of CRT's in my time to compare against). The size of the monitor itself is amazing and is well worth the cash, assuming you have a video card that can drive a 1920x1200 signal in current games.

Regarding flawed gradients: I'm no photographer, but, using test images did not reveal to me any gradient problems on this monitor. I opened up every test image I could find in an effort to detect flawed horizontal and vertical gradients but I was unable to find any. Again, I'm no photographer or graphics design artist, but it looked perfect to me.

Also worth mentioning is that I tested 1600x1200 resolution just to make sure the monitor does not stretch the image horizontally to fit the 1920-pixel width of the monitor. It did not; my 1600x1200 output looks great and is properly letterboxed on both sides.

My friend's Xbox 360 performed well also, with no noticable blurring or stretching. We did disconnect my PC so we could use the DVI input for the 360. 1:1 worked just fine, so it must have been fixed since the A03 revision.

Overall, 4.8 out of 5. If anything, I'd ding the monitor on its sun-like out-of-the-box brightness, and perhaps for its tendancy to lose detail from dark parts of the image when viewed from a straight-on position. Those minor quibbles are worth putting up with to have this amount of desktop space for such a reasonable price ($628 shipped).

Thanks for the personal review Ark :eek:. I thought my 2407 wasn't going to be delievered until Wednesday but to my surprise, I got it today! I just hooked it up and it is a beauty. A04, with no dead/stuck pixels. Since the day I ordered it, I was thinking should I just get the 2007WFP instead and save the $250 for a new LCD/TV instead. This new monitor is replacing a 1907FP so either 2007 or 2407 would be bigger/better than what I had. Someone convince me this is worth the $250 more. I am not a PC gamer but do photography and would probably hook up my 360 to the new monitor. Would the 2007 be big enough after sitting in front of this one? TIA

D

I've had my ao4 for 20 days and am keeping it. No going back to the 19" boat anchor. More desk space and the monitor is huge. Why go bigger than this, I'll never know. I like the connection options for the future and the memory card reader and usb ports are a welcome addition. No stuck pixels, no bleed...from what i can see it's great. I've only played HL2 e1 thus far and I'm sorry I waited to go lcd at high res. Wow. A truly "clean machine". Colors are outstanding. Blacks are black! Using a 7900gt and all is smooth. Whomever complains about this monitor will not be happy with anything. This will be a multi use monitor for the usual internet stuff,cable tv, movies, gaming and still photos. Have downloaded some desktop stuff and the colors are sparkling. And they're coming out with an HC version that's purportedly better? This I gotta see. I got it for $675 then they took off another $40 to $635. They've since lowered it to $629, so I got a good deal without the discounts some here have gotten. If you're still on the fence I'd suggest you leap for this....soon.

Oh this is what I mean by the way, the left and the right side is a little uneven. The right side seam to be lower then the left side a bit. It's leaning down on the right side a little bit more. Someone dare try and measure?

111.jpg

222.jpg

He's talking about when you go to set the monitor in it's native postion and yes they don't sit exactly level. I had 3 and none of them sat level. Looking at it the right side always drops.

He's talking about when you go to set the monitor in it's native postion and yes they don't sit exactly level. I had 3 and none of them sat level. Looking at it the right side always drops.
Umm... put your left hand on the left side and your right hand on the right side and adjust it. It's not that difficult. It works on my 2407 rev 04. :eek:

I have a feeling some of you are never happy. :p

Umm... put your left hand on the left side and your right hand on the right side and adjust it. It's not that difficult. It works on my 2407 rev 04. :eek:

Um, no it doesn't smart ass.

Never said it bothered me.

This is 649$ at Dell Canada today.

Anyone bought one in Canada lately? Chances of getting A04?

This is 649$ at Dell Canada today.

Anyone bought one in Canada lately? Chances of getting A04?

I'm about to 'pull the trigger' on this one but I think I'll scour this forum (and others) about the A04 question first!

Um, no it doesn't smart ass.

Never said it bothered me.
Yes, I'm being a smart ass because it seems you're making an issue out of nothing. If you can't adjust your monitor correctly using your hands then return it. I don't how this is so difficult. In the time it takes for someone to pull out a ruler, snap photos and post them on the internet a call could have been put into Dell. I have the same monitor. I can adjust it level, or lower on the left or lower on the right. It's because it sits on a hinge that can swivel 90 degrees.

Curious if A04 are shipping in Canada? I would assume that they are, by now, but just confirming...

Yes, I'm being a smart ass because it seems you're making an issue out of nothing. If you can't adjust your monitor correctly using your hands then return it. I don't how this is so difficult. In the time it takes for someone to pull out a ruler, snap photos and post them on the internet a call could have been put into Dell. I have the same monitor. I can adjust it level, or lower on the left or lower on the right. It's because it sits on a hinge that can swivel 90 degrees.

Oh boy, somebody get this guy a cookie for the Einstein of the day award. :rolleyes:

Read this slow. For many, the monitor at default will not sit level, no matter how much you try to adjust it. The play in the swivel allows it to sag on the right side bottom. No amount of force or tweaking will allow it to sit level. Search it on this forum, search it on Dells forum, it's an issue for a lot.

I merely pointed out to the guy that asked that I had 3 2407 monitors that all exhibited this behavior. You on the otherhand have been an ignorant smartass on the issue since posting on it.

Oh boy, somebody get this guy a cookie for the Einstein of the day award. :rolleyes:

Read this slow. For many, the monitor at default will not sit level, no matter how much you try to adjust it. The play in the swivel allows it to sag on the right side bottom. No amount of force or tweaking will allow it to sit level. Search it on this forum, search it on Dells forum, it's an issue for a lot.

I merely pointed out to the guy that asked that I had 3 2407 monitors that all exhibited this behavior. You on the otherhand have been an ignorant smartass on the issue since posting on it.
Mine does not have this problem. I guess I'm lucky. Again, you should return it. Posting here about it will not make it go away. If everyone who has the issue returns their "defective" display Dell will fix the problem in production.

Ordered one from Dell.ca today- I'll post whether it's an A04 when it arrives. Judging by how many others have received A04s in this thread, I'm confident I'll receive one as well.

And if it's only an A03.. no biggie. Still a great panel (and I couldn't care less about 1080p, 1:1 pixel mapping...)

Well I ordered one too! Added X-540 speakers for $69 as well.

Now I just need a PC to hook this up to...:p

I will post the revision as soon as I receive the monitor.

I just ordered a 2407 myself on Dell.ca after seeing this morning the awesome deal. At only 649$ CAN you can't beat that price. I'm confident we'll all receive the A04 revision.

I was looking at the price for weeks but now that the price is that cheap I couldn't resist! It's going to replace my viewsonic VX2025WM. :cool:

Forgot to add the the deal expires March 21st!! So if you're on the fence for weeks like me, jump !

I knew I wasn't crazy when I said it was sagging on the right side hehe.

Yeah, I had 2 of them and they both did that A03 and A04. I don't care anymore, the panel itself is good, it's just the stand. Maybe it's a QC issue, not enough to make Dell send me another LCD just to change the stand. Oh well...

I just got my 2407 and am psyched. I went from a Samsung 19" CRT (or my laptop's 19*12 17").

I played a little UT2k4 just to see the lag / ghosting and found it acceptable.

I'm testing it on the laptop in .sig

Checked for dead / stuck pixels and if I have any I didn't see them.

The only problem I have is that I need to shift a shelf inside my computer hutch up a level if I want to be able to pivot. Probably worth it.

$600 delivered.

Ummm...From where you sitting and facing the monitor. It's uneven on the right side, it lean down on the right side more. The monitor swivel to 90 degree on the right side, not the left. So how can you level it on left side by moving it down a little to even out the monitor? If you put your hand on the left side and try to move it down to even it, it doesn't move because the monitor swivel from the right side, not the left. Do you get this now? I'm just pointing this out because it's just something I notice, and I want to know if all Dell Monitor are like this if I even bother to return it, though I'm not going to do that. I know posting on here won't help, but if I don't post on here and ask, how would I know that all Dell Monitor are like this? Or just a minor problem that can be fix? :eek:

And who said I'm not happy with my monitor? If I'm not happy I wouldn't keep it up until today. Just a bit bum on the price drop and Dell not credit me back.

Ummm...From where you sitting and facing the monitor. It's uneven on the right side, it lean down on the right side more. The monitor swivel to 90 degree on the right side, not the left. So how can you level it on left side by moving it down a little to even out the monitor? If you put your hand on the left side and try to move it down to even it, it doesn't move because the monitor swivel from the right side, not the left. Do you get this now? I'm just pointing this out because it's just something I notice, and I want to know if all Dell Monitor are like this if I even bother to return it, though I'm not going to do that. I know posting on here won't help, but if I don't post on here and ask, how would I know that all Dell Monitor are like this? Or just a minor problem that can be fix? :eek:

And who said I'm not happy with my monitor? If I'm not happy I wouldn't keep it up until today. Just a bit bum on the price drop and Dell not credit me back.

Velocities: I had this problem too...I just forced it to over rotate the other way a bit each day and it evened out for me.

My original post: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030737468&postcount=458

Try the above.

I just ordered a 2407 myself on Dell.ca after seeing this morning the awesome deal. At only 649$ CAN you can't beat that price. I'm confident we'll all receive the A04 revision.

I was looking at the price for weeks but now that the price is that cheap I couldn't resist! It's going to replace my viewsonic VX2025WM. :cool:

Forgot to add the the deal expires March 21st!! So if you're on the fence for weeks like me, jump !

I was waiting for this to go on sale, great deal!

Really? What do you mean when over rotate? lol. I don't want to damage my panel by doing it wrong.
I think he means push it gentle more towards the left. (Over rotate) Don't force it and damage the hinge. Try it and it should give a little to the left.

I think he means push it gentle more towards the left. (Over rotate) Don't force it and damage the hinge. Try it and it should give a little to the left.

Yes just twist the whole display counterclockwise from the landscape position until there's some resistance (like 5-10 pounds of force from each hand) and hold it there until you get tired. Release, measure, and repeat. I did this while watching a few TV shows and noticed an improvement.

I received my 2407 2 weeks ago and its an A04 from Dell.ca :D . My co-worker got one too, also A04. I was guaranteed by our Company Dell rep. that all the 2407's being shipped are A04's. Great monitor, no complaints, made in Mexico. My 1907FP is now my second display (Samsung panel) and the colors on the 2407 are more vivid with the same image on both lcd's.

what panel this Rev.4 is using? Also is it possible that new HC model will have TN panel?
So now with Rev.4 do you think is good time to get this Rev.4 and not to wait for HC (I don't want to risk getting TN) or maybe still better to get Benq 24 WZ (if only here in Europe they have blacke frame version :))

I just got my Dell 2407 today. Revision A04 here.

I like the monitor. I really do. Browsing websites just seems to be so much more of a breeze, almost as if they were coded for screens this size.

My only issue seems to be that my 7600GT kinda chugs at higher resolutions than 1280x1024. But that's an issue with the video card, not the monitor itself. I just need a card that can push on this big of a screen. :p

what panel this Rev.4 is using? Also is it possible that new HC model will have TN panel?
So now with Rev.4 do you think is good time to get this Rev.4 and not to wait for HC (I don't want to risk getting TN) or maybe still better to get Benq 24 WZ (if only here in Europe they have blacke frame version :))

I just got my A04 on Monday. I thought it was a good time to buy because of the price. I would think that the HC version of the 2407 will cost a little more, from looking at when the 3007 HC came out (non-HC version not even available anymore).

As for my experience, I'm liking the 2407 so far. Like others, my panel isn't perfectly aligned but I'll eventually get it evened out. One thing I've noticed though is that when I scroll through pages or drag windows around, the whites turn a greenish tint until I stop scrolling...i.e...when I scroll down on one of the threads on here, the white text turns a greenish tint until I stop scrolling. Anyone else have this or notice it? Could it be my video card?

One thing I've noticed though is that when I scroll through pages or drag windows around, the whites turn a greenish tint until I stop scrolling...i.e...when I scroll down on one of the threads on here, the white text turns a greenish tint until I stop scrolling. Anyone else have this or notice it? Could it be my video card?
I haven't seen anything like that with my rev 04. I am using it with a Mac.

I just got my A04 on Monday. I thought it was a good time to buy because of the price. I would think that the HC version of the 2407 will cost a little more, from looking at when the 3007 HC came out (non-HC version not even available anymore).

As for my experience, I'm liking the 2407 so far. Like others, my panel isn't perfectly aligned but I'll eventually get it evened out. One thing I've noticed though is that when I scroll through pages or drag windows around, the whites turn a greenish tint until I stop scrolling...i.e...when I scroll down on one of the threads on here, the white text turns a greenish tint until I stop scrolling. Anyone else have this or notice it? Could it be my video card?

I saw that too, but I don't have problem with that. :)

Just got my 2407wfp today, and like everyone else (at least recently) I got a rev A04; have it hooked-up to my Mac Book Pro right now.. Pretty nice...image quality compares favorably to the 2005fpw it replaced (which has an S-IPS panel).. TBH, I would've gotten the 24" BenQ FP241W except for the fact the 2407 was on sale (had to spend $673 USD--damn sales tax!!). Now I just gotta figure out what to do w/ my 20" 2005fpw...

I saw that too, but I don't have problem with that. :)

Yes the green trail was a known problem with Dell 2407WFP. If you really want to see an effect. Open Exel, switch color setting to Mac and brightness down to 15 you can really see it if you drag the window fast around it leave a smear green trail. I thought the problem was fix when I got my Dell 2407WFP, turn out it happen only at certein brightness.

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd report my luck in trying to exchange my five month old A02 with a A04. At first, I went through the usual nonsense of being pushed from department to department. I even had one man tell me that I didn't have a Warranty with my monitor and when I told him that I was looking at my Invoice right now which clearly stated that I did have a three year limited warranty he simply told me that there was nothing he could do since it was out side of the 30day return policy. So, he sent me off to another department. I restated my story and had a hell of a time trying to understand what this fellow was saying to me, but at least it seemed that he actually cared about my problem. It wasn't long before he put me in touch with his super-visor and he seemed confused as to what I actually wanted. I told him that I had the defective A02 revision and needed the A04. He asked me what was wrong with it and I told him the very large list of commonly known problems and he seemed a tad confused. The one thing that seemed to help get my point accross the most, was the fact that the menu clearly depicted the ability to change pixel mapping and aspect ratios, but was completely faded out. I just kept repeating that this was a feature that I understood I was getting and didn't. The "broken" Component inputs helped too.

Anyways, he told me that they'd send out a replacement, but couldn't guarantee me that it would be the correct revision (he didn't seem to understand that there was a difference within the particular model). After reading many of your posts, it seems as though I'd be guaranteed a A04, but if I'm not, I can just send it back.

This leads me to my next question, is it standard procedure for Dell to send out the replacement product before you return yours? He made no mention of how I was to return my "defective" monitor to Dell. Is it possible that I could walk out of this mess with two functional displays? I hope my experience helps any of you who are preparing to try and do this as well. Also, while trying my best to go through the electronic responses as accurately as possible, there seems to be no way to get through with out an actual Dell PC or service number. I have neither, so I just mashed zero repeatedly, heh. Good luck!

Back