Dell 2407WFP Rev A04 Spotted.

Ordered Friday night (2/23), received yesterday (2/27). Absolutely gorgeous A04 made in Mexico, shipped from TN. Zero dead pixels. Very happy. :D

I tried to negotiate for a better price, but got it for $707.81 in the end, shipped (that's $674.10 + tax). What's $30 at that point...

I'll post pics up in the "Show Your LCD(s) setups" once I've gotten things set up how I want them.

Very true. 1080p content other than HD DVD and Blu Ray are still a ways off.

I've done some A/B comparisons with component out and DVI out from a typical SA Explorer cable box and I believe the advantages to the digital connection is only apparent with longer cable runs (above 6 ft or so).

I would be interested to see if this monitor supports 1to1 over DVI at 1080p.

Well my 2407wfp is coming from TN as well. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it is A04.
Mine is a replacement for an A03. Took me 2.5 hours on the phone with Dell.
I also bought my A03 originally off ebay from one of the venders that just drop shipped it straight from Dell so I had an order receipt. kubotaorange was the seller.
I wouldnt be afraid to purchase an A04 off ebay from one of the big venders that show it with the 3 year warranty if anyone wants to go that route.

Anyone OFFICIALLY tried inputing 1080P video from a source (ps3, DVD player etc) and checked to see if the wide mode option under display setting is not greyed out so you can select 1:1?

Getting one from eBay (uk) - says guaranteed A04 with great user rating. Ordered today, hopefully with next day delivery. Think I might be suddenly ill tomorow and not make it into work... :p :rolleyes:

Will let you know when I get it and share the listing with you (if allowed?)

Can anyone tell me the measurements of the height and width of the visible screen size? (not the surround, just the visible screen).

Thanks,

Simon

I'm seeing a definite pattern with Dells received in the past week. Just got mine today and it is....

A04! :)

1080p won't be broadcast for a very long time. It chews up way too much bandwidth.

That being said, there are advantages to using a digital connection - don't have to worry about noise and such. In my HT setup I was going to need a switch anyway so I got a good DVI switch.

Do you mind linking me with your DVI switch?

Thanks

Very true. 1080p content other than HD DVD and Blu Ray are still a ways off.

I've done some A/B comparisons with component out and DVI out from a typical SA Explorer cable box and I believe the advantages to the digital connection is only apparent with longer cable runs (above 6 ft or so).

I would be interested to see if this monitor supports 1to1 over DVI at 1080p.

Ive tried last night connecting my 2407 to SA Explorer 3250 via DVI, but the monitor didnt even see the signal coming. No matter what. Component looks probably just as good since the HD cable signal is heavily compressed. INHD Channel looks best by far. I think they are the only true 1080i channel.

Should I bother calling up and negotiating OR if I can use a 10%off EBay coupon off $674+taxes making total $668 shipped:confused: ...wonder if calling up will get me a better deal but I've never negotiaited before with Dell so I fear they'll talk me out of it:(

Do the CSR's get comission for phone sales?

So close to pulling the triggggggerrrrrrrrr.
Frag

[I'm moving in my new house in March end so doesn't Dell come out with coupns around March anyway??]

Should I bother calling up and negotiating OR if I can use a 10%off EBay coupon off $674+taxes making total $668 shipped:confused: ...wonder if calling up will get me a better deal but I've never negotiaited before with Dell so I fear they'll talk me out of it:(

Do the CSR's get comission for phone sales?

So close to pulling the triggggggerrrrrrrrr.
Frag

[I'm moving in my new house in March end so doesn't Dell come out with coupns around March anyway??]

I am sure the best they can offer you is 10% off. Hey, that's still better than paying $2 for a coupon. :p

I just tried with no luck, the ebay coupons are non stackable meaning they are for items with no current discount. The current 2407 is already discounted 10% on dells website. Not to say that it isn't possible, I guess i depends who you get on the phone.

I asked the guy about the A04 and he says the conversion happened like 3 weeks ago, so they all should be A04's now.

I get mine on Monday, cant wait!

was calibrating my monitor and came to some rather interesting observations...
While i was checking the pitch black screen, i looked the panel from wide angles and the picture didnt really turn grey, but rather pinkish. :eek: Now Im probably just tripping here but why dont the other A04 owners do the same and tell me what are your experiances. Ill try to take some screenies once i figure out how to get Nokia pc suite work with Vista...

If the pink = IPS panel, then this is rather interesting, imo. :cool:

was calibrating my monitor and came to some rather interesting observations...
While i was checking the pitch black screen, i looked the panel from wide angles and the picture didnt really turn grey, but rather pinkish. :eek: Now Im probably just tripping here but why dont the other A04 owners do the same and tell me what are your experiances. Ill try to take some screenies once i figure out how to get Nokia pc suite work with Vista...

If the pink = IPS panel, then this is rather interesting, imo. :cool:

Interesting.. What S-PVA supposes to look like at wide angles? :confused:

Oh... That remind me that the Dell Tech Rep on Dell's forum mentioned that 2407 used S-PVA and S-IPS panel.... So I guess it's true... Hopefully someone can verify that. :D

I wonder if there is a way to actually comfirm this using by the panel # or some other serial #.

Been reading here for awhile and ordered today. Called Dell with some questions and when I was about to hang up I was asked what would it take to order today? The unit is at $674 shipped plus about $50 in tax. I wanted the $50 5 year warranty...make the tax go away and you got a deal I said....hold....comes back we can take $25 off....can't do the 50 huh?,,,hold....we'll throw in 2 day delivery....nah, I've been without this panel all my life, a few more days without won't hurt...hold....how about we take $40 off.....DEAL! Total with the 5 year is $724. I also inquired about the A04 and after the csr checked I was assured it will be an A04. Time will tell. I like all the connection options, size, return policy...if it doesn't turn into a fiasco, everything I've read leads me to this order. If it's not what I think it is, I'll return it. But I've seen the Gateway and like the size, so hopefully all will go well. The person that took the order was very pleasant and concerned I was taken care of...a positive experience. But, talk is cheap. I'll be around here awhile. Thanks for all the info everyone.:cool:

No one can confirm the HN208L6 panel as of now. Your best bet would be to take some sample screenshots of it. :cool:

Ok here is an absolutelly terrible picture out of my Nokia n80 and very low lights. About to try again, if i cant get a better pic, ill take some shots tomorrow during the daylight.
dell.jpg

For those who think their panels might be SIPS

Load this image
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8294/img6440ytestpiccyes8.jpg

Face perpendicular to the dark spot located mid bottom of the image. Now move your head off to either side. Do the details become more clearer in the dark area? If so then it is most likely a PVA panel.

If you can already see the details clearly in the dark area and moving your head doesn't change anything then it could be a SIPS. Couple the following with the purple fringe when viewing blacks then it is most likely SIPS.

For those who think their panels might be SIPS

Load this image
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8294/img6440ytestpiccyes8.jpg

Face perpendicular to the dark spot located mid bottom of the image. Now move your head off to either side. Do the details become more clearer in the dark area? If so then it is most likely a PVA panel.

If you can already see the details clearly in the dark area and moving your head doesn't change anything then it could be a SIPS. Couple the following with the purple fringe when viewing blacks then it is most likely SIPS.

Bro im affraid that in that case it is IPS. I see ALL the dark areas perfectly and detailed with different degrees of darks. When i move my head to either sides, it doesnt change a thing. Where did you learn of this method?

Bro im affraid that in that case it is IPS. I see ALL the dark areas perfectly and detailed with different degrees of darks. When i move my head to either sides, it doesnt change a thing. Where did you learn of this method?

It is a common method that is used in the general Dell lottery thread
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100, which has pretty much been the 2007fpw lottery thread for a while :)

A PVA panel would exhibit something like this (given your monitor is good enough to see the difference)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1036/dell2007wfpwithspvapanexi9.jpg

Notice the shift from dark, no details to the pic below?

BTW these pics aren't mine as I stole them from someone's post :)

It is a common method that is used in the general Dell lottery thread
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100, which has pretty much been the 2007fpw lottery thread for a while :)

A PVA panel would exhibit something like this (given your monitor is good enough to see the difference)
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1036/dell2007wfpwithspvapanexi9.jpg

Notice the shift from dark, no details to the pic below?

BTW these pics aren't mine as I stole them from someone's post :)

Ok i see what you mean. By moving your head in one direction and looking at the far other you see a brighter pic. Then mine would be a PVA panel. It does show a little brighter pic when looking that way. Not sure why my lcd when showing a solid black and looked from a wide angle totally turns purple.

Ok i see what you mean. By moving your head in one direction and looking at the far other you see a brighter pic. Then mine would be a PVA panel. It does show a little brighter pic when looking that way. Not sure why my lcd when showing a solid black and looked from a wide angle totally turns purple.

Bummer.

I'm not sure if the test is proven for the 2704, but I'm assuming it works for any size panel.
The purple-black you are experiencing is interesting though. I thought PVA blacks turn to a dark gray.

As soon as my money gets here I'll order from Costco. 675 + basically a lifetime warranty. :D

Hate to break the bad news to u.....Costco NOW has a 90 day return policy enforced on ALL electronic items, incl TV's and monitors :eek: :eek:

I myslef found it 2 days ago when I took back a Sony digital camera that I bought from them about 7 months ago. Of course it was still under manufacturer warranty but I didn't wanna take anymorew chances with a malfunctioning camera. They did refund my money but informed me of the new policy, in effect NOW.

I guess Costco retaliated after being abused soooo much by losers and that old lady who returned a $5000 pianco after owning it so 10 years:eek: :mad: :(

Frag

Hate to break the bad news to u.....Costco NOW has a 90 day return policy enforced on ALL electronic items, incl TV's and monitors :eek: :eek:

I myslef found it 2 days ago when I took back a Sony digital camera that I bought from them about 7 months ago. They did refund my money but informed me of the new policy, in effect NOW.

I guess Costco retaliated after being abused soooo much by losers and that old lady who returned a $5000 pianco after owning it so 10 years:eek: :mad: :(

Frag

The policy only affects purchases after the date they instate the policy. Anything purchased before the date is grandfathered with the old policy. Not all Costcos have the new policy in place as of right now. I think by the end of next month all Costcos will have that 90day policy, which also includes 2 year Costco warranty.

I myslef found it 2 days ago when I took back a Sony digital camera that I bought from them about 7 months ago. Of course it was still under manufacturer warranty but I didn't wanna take anymorew chances with a malfunctioning camera. They did refund my money but informed me of the new policy, in effect NOW.

Frag

Is there a link proving this claim?

Is there a link proving this claim?

Sorry no...Im only informing others from what I was told at the returns desk and they actually do have a notification up in writing in the returns area....this is in the South Sacramento store, CA. U can always call them and find out yourself, of course.

Unless u want me to go back with my new digital camera and take a shot:D

F

Damn that sucks. But on their website it says:

Costco said:
Televisions, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.

When I talked to them earlier they said it wasn't a computer. And this isn't a TV. So we'll see. And if they say "yeah, 90 days" then I'll ask them if they can give me a reason to buy it from them instead of Dell. And when they say no then I'll say "Ok, just to make sure you're aware - your policy change cost you a sale. I'm calling Dell.

Good thing I never bought a membership....

Back