Defense Grid 2 KickStarter project

WildMonkey

Gawd
I don't know if this is a [H]ot deal or not, but it seems like something many people would be interested in.

Some of you might know (and love) Defense Grid, a tower defense type game. The developers at Hidden Path Entertainment have started up a KickStarter project in order to fund DG2, their goal is ONE MILLION DOLLARS! (pinky finger).

Basically, with a minimum pledge of $15 you will immediately receive a Steam copy of Defense Grid 1, and sometime in December you will receive a brand new expansion pack (DG: Containment) that continues the story in to DG2.

Here is the cool part, for every $250K point they reach they will guarantee sending everybody with that minimum $15 pledge some upgrades, like DG remastered with the DG2 engine, multiplayer support, level editor, and if they reach $1M with KickStarter they will also send you a copy of DG2 when ready. A pretty damn sweet deal.

So if interested check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Last edited:
backed this yesterday for $15. Defense Grid is in my top 5 most played games on my steam list. Would love to see this hit $1M.

The wife and I both love DG. If I find a couple extra bucks we might have to get in on this.

I love defense grid. I cannot believe how many hours I have put into that game.

I am unfamiliar with the kick starter program.

It says, "This project will only be funded if at least $250,000 is pledged by Tuesday Aug 14, 5:00pm EDT."
What happens to the pledges if they do not reach their goal? Do they keep them anyway or do they refund the pledges.

I had fun playing Defense Grid, but $1m is an extremely lofty "goal" that they will never reach.

For comparison, the game "Grim Dawn" was a huge kickstarter project with the Titan Quest developers behind it and a whole bunch of eager Diablo 3 players. It raised $537k.

So I don't think there's any way Defense Grid will even come close to $500k. They'll be lucky to get $250k. Sorry for being a pessimist, but I can wait to buy Defense Grid 2.

That's really awesome though that they got AMD to help out with 600 video cards.

I had fun playing Defense Grid, but $1m is an extremely lofty "goal" that they will never reach.

For comparison, the game "Grim Dawn" was a huge kickstarter project with the Titan Quest developers behind it and a whole bunch of eager Diablo 3 players. It raised $537k.

So I don't think there's any way Defense Grid will even come close to $500k. They'll be lucky to get $250k. Sorry for being a pessimist, but I can wait to buy Defense Grid 2.

That's really awesome though that they got AMD to help out with 600 video cards.

Kickstarter's growing:

$3,336,371 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

$4,157,922 and growing (though this is a bit different than just a game) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

what is cool here is that we can come back in 32 day to either laugh at you or congratulate you. :)

Based on how it's going, I'm not too sure. It'll probably make 250k and very possibly 500k, but I'd be a little pissed if I paid $15 for a few more DG levels.

why do i get the feeling kickstarter is the next big fad people won't be STFU'ing about until once again scammers have completely taken over and pounded into the dirt. i understand completely the mechanics of it and its all the more reason its shaping up to be the next lame ass internet gold rush that people inevitably find a way to exploit, meanwhile yet another douchebag on your facebook is begging everyone to like/click/support his kickstarter finger puppet project. its already begun.

Last edited:
I am kind of wondering why these guys need a kickstart for the sequel to what seems to be a very successful game in the first place.

I can see needing a kickstart for the new engine, but making a sequel to a game that seems like it'd been pretty successful and hasn't been forgotten due to age of release or whatever....seems backwards to me.

With a name like kickstart it's kind of getting something going that's lost momentum or needs a little push. Defense grid 2 shouldn't need a push given DG1s fanbase and it's sales.

Not saying it's wrong, it just seems to not be in the spirit of what I would expect from the crowd who funds projects on kickstart......things that probably wouldn't be made otherwise. DG2 seems like it would be made with or without kickstart to me.

why do i get the feeling kickstarter is the next big fad people won't be STFU'ing about until once again scammers have completely taken over and pounded into the dirt. i understand completely the mechanics of it and its all the more reason its shaping up to be the next lame ass internet gold rush that people inevitably find a way to exploit, meanwhile yet another douchebag on your facebook is begging everyone to like/click/support his kickstarter finger puppet project. its already begun.

It's a more complicated issue than just being a "cool" way to get funding. Essentially there's no publishers around any more willing to fund new or risky projects. All publishers do now is buy an already successful IP (which Defense Grid was apparently not.) and regurgitate the standard HnS, FPS models until the bottom drops out and move on.

This is turning into the only option. Tim schafer arguably one of the more successful Indie devs was actually about to lay off 12 people when someone convinced him to do the Kickstarter.

Oblivion is facing layoffs right now I think they've already started despite Fallout New Vegas being critically and financially successful.

Also it's actually really not difficult to ascertain whether a project is worth investing in.

For those of you wondering about why use kickstarter to fund a project then you probably don't understand the basics of business.

Even when you have a genuinely good idea you will still need a staff that will make it happen, for the most part these people are not in it because they are super dedicated to the prospect of becoming part of something big (hell, most of them just want to pay the bills like the rest of us) and therefore will not hold out for months or years waiting for this idea to generate income for them.

In short you need start up capital to finance any project, even if it's an established company, doesn't change the fact that they will still need to pay their employees during development, and a million dollars doesn't go very far. Think about it, that's just the salaries of 20 people earning 50K a year. That is a pathetically small amount, and not to mention all other expenses such as legal, distribution, marketing, utilities, equipment, research, etc...

I hope this fails. They should have called it "Send Money to Gearbox" and not "Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter" No one actually gets DG2 until they raise 4x the amount of money needed to fund the project. At the $500K level, people are basically donating money to them for a game engine, then the investors will not get a game, and Gearbox will turn around and sell DG2 commercially.

If their minimum funding level also got me DG2, I would have donated on this.

Last edited:
what? That was a successful game. Why do they need more money upfront? Sounds like a cash grab. No money from me.

Here is the cool part, for every $250K point they reach they will guarantee sending everybody with that minimum $15 pledge some upgrades, like DG remastered with the DG2 engine, multiplayer support, level editor, and if they reach $1M with KickStarter they will also send you a copy of DG2 when ready. A pretty damn sweet deal.[/url]

Are they guaranteeing multiplayer because that's the only way I could get on board.
Here's hoping

I hope this fails. They should have called it "Send Money to Gearbox" and not "Defense Grid 2 Kickstarter" No one actually gets DG2 until they raise 4x the amount of money needed to fund the project. At the $500K level, people are basically donating money to them for a game engine, then the investors will not get a game, and Gearbox will turn around and sell DG2 commercially.

If their minimum funding level also got me DG2, I would have donated on this.

The fuck are you talking about?

The fuck are you talking about?

His post makes sense other than the fact that he keeps referencing Gearbox which is not the developer of DG, lol.

Replace "Gearbox" with "Hidden Path Entertainment" and it makes more sense.

It's simple, this is a way to get people to pay for the game before it comes out. It has nothing to do with Gearbox's capital, they are just milking us for what it's worth. While I love Defense Grid and spent numerous hours to achieve every single achievement, there is no way in hell I'm going to fund this project. When DLC's come out, I'll buy them. When the game comes out, I'll buy it.

Back