Dear Nvidia,

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../5/398186/rtx-3080-nvidia-store-availability/

Bullshit Black Belt @ Nvidia said:
This morning we saw unprecedented demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 at global retailers, including the NVIDIA online store. At 6 a.m. pacific we attempted to push the NVIDIA store live. Despite preparation, the NVIDIA store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error. We were able to resolve the issues and sales began registering normally.

To stop bots and scalpers on the NVIDIA store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers.

Over 50 major global retailers had inventory at 6 a.m. pacific. Our NVIDIA team and partners are shipping more RTX 3080 cards every day to retailers.

We apologize to our customers for this morning's experience.

I'm sorry, what was that? You say you care and that you were doing everything you could to prevent bots from buying-out right? Where's the captcha in your store? Where's the restricting guest checkout for the launch? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying with all this bullshit stuck in my ear.

Sincerely,
Your customers with heartbeats.

Why even launch if you have 5 cards available to sell? Might as well have just launched 2-3 weeks later with full stock. I thought AMD shot themselves in the foot waiting until end of october to announce their cards, but it looks like they can easily use this situation to their advantage. Assuming they have stock on release, "You can actually BUY our cards!".

Why even launch if you have 5 cards available to sell? Might as well have just launched 2-3 weeks later with full stock. I thought AMD shot themselves in the foot waiting until end of october to announce their cards, but it looks like they can easily use this situation to their advantage. Assuming they have stock on release, "You can actually BUY our cards!".

They had a lot. They aren't doing anything to prevent bots from purchasing. There are companies who do nothing but buy products like this to flip. This one got 41...
https://twitter.com/Gsnkss/status/1306641867677863939

To stop bots and scalpers on the NVIDIA store, we’re doing everything humanly possible...

How stupid does Nvidia think we are?

They had a lot. They aren't doing anything to prevent bots from purchasing. There are companies who do nothing but buy products like this to flip. This one got 41...
https://twitter.com/Gsnkss/status/1306641867677863939

How stupid does Nvidia think we are?

They didn't have a lot. I bet half of those posts are fake and used to promote those services. If it were so great, why wouldn't they just use it themselves?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../5/398186/rtx-3080-nvidia-store-availability/

I'm sorry, what was that? You say you care and that you were doing everything you could to prevent bots from buying-out right? Where's the captcha in your store? Where's the restricting guest checkout for the launch? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying with all this bullshit stuck in my ear.

Sincerely,
3f2.jpg

Just wait a few weeks and let those idiots sit on all of the cards they bought. It’s really not a big deal. If having to wait a few weeks longer to acquire a $700USD video card pisses you off this much in 2020 when there is a global pandemic and most of us are just thankful that we still have a job is the worst thing you’re dealing with right now, I’d say you’re doing quite well.

We are fighting bots for a very long time. Imagine life as you knew it was only stable with the launch of new datacenter gpus, and the meantime’s were full of fraud & shenanigans.

I just wonder where all the fan bois are claiming nvidia would have plentiful stock for this launch and there was no way it’d be a paper launch. Oh yea they were the same ones claiming 2080ti owners were stupid and should sell their cards for $200 now.

Guess I’ll just wait for them to show back up...

The bots who took all the 3080's and kept you from getting one may have done you a favor.

Insta buying a 3080 before waiting on benchmarks from the other 3XXX or even worse before RDNA2 is shown next month is just as crazy as buying a 2080/2080ti in the last 90 days.

I get some people are running older cards and wanted something new, but buying on launch day, for at least the last 4-5 gens, has always been a complete clusterfuck.

The bots who took all the 3080's and kept you from getting one may have done you a favor.

Insta buying a 3080 before waiting on benchmarks from the other 3XXX or even worse before RDNA2 is shown next month is just as crazy as buying a 2080/2080ti in the last 90 days.

I get some people are running older cards and wanted something new, but buying on launch day, for at least the last 4-5 gens, has always been a complete clusterfuck.
I never had an issue getting them on launch in the past generations.... This one has been worse than the original wii launch was in 2006 and I still got those for my family and friends back then.

As far as waiting goes, I've seen the reviews and know it has what I want perf wise. I'm not going more than double to get a 3090 and I am fine with the 3080 price tag.

Amd always has been an issue for me on drivers from way back when and reading about the 5700xt's makes me not want another. I don't care if they're supposedly faster (unlikely) or whatnot. I also use nvenc to record with a lot. Radeon encoder is miles behind.

I just had an idea of how they could resolve the botting situation for the 3090.

Just have the 24th be a presale for the people who bought a 2080TI, and had to exchange their cards 4 or more times because of defects.

Let's face it. The 2080TI launch went off horribly, not necessarily because of the lack of cards (there was that), but mainly because far too many customers got broken cards day one, and ended up doing exchange after exchange in order to get a working one. And at the end of the day, the only thing they got from NVidia was the free shipping for the exchanges of cards. Let this sort of be an apology to them.

Sure, there might be some scalping of the 3090s, but you can be pretty sure these will be actual customers rather than just opportunistic scalpers. Scalpers never use those cards anyway, they're just after a profit. A person who had to go through 12 exchanges for 1 working card though? They most likely are going to use the 3090 if they can buy one day one.

I wonder if a lottery system would have worked here? Theoretically, it would give each customer an equal chance at getting a card at launch.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who will try to cheat the system. Registering multiple accounts, etc. Without nailing down an account to a unique person (Social Security #, Drivers License, etc.), then even a lottery system is ripe for abuse.

Despite any flaws, I'd still argue lottery is an improvement over first-come first-serve due to benefit of randomness. Even if you register a 1000 accounts, you've at best improved your chances, yet there is no guarantee you'll get even a single card.

I hope Nvidia does the exact same thing for the next gen and all the day 1 cards are bought by scalpers. Then on day 2, they drop the price by $100, implement anti-scalping procedures, and make sure the scalpers can’t return the cards.

Answer is simple, don't buy nvidia. Fuck Jensen and his questionable profiteering business. That prick in a leather jacket has been busted multple times for shittty and questionable business practices. This is one of them.

I wonder if a lottery system would have worked here? Theoretically, it would give each customer an equal chance at getting a card at launch.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who will try to cheat the system. Registering multiple accounts, etc. Without nailing down an account to a unique person (Social Security #, Drivers License, etc.), then even a lottery system is ripe for abuse.

Despite any flaws, I'd still argue lottery is an improvement over first-come first-serve due to benefit of randomness. Even if you register a 1000 accounts, you've at best improved your chances, yet there is no guarantee you'll get even a single card.

Lottery is ok. My take, full payment preorders for 1 week, done 2 weeks before shipment for registered users only with captias. One per household. The closed week would allow orders to be reviewed by AI or customer service. Canceled scalper orders would be available on launch day.

3090 is looking to be 10% faster than 3080 @ 2x the price.

Big Navi is actually leaking to show as much if not more lerformance than the 3090 possibly.

3090 has 6mb of l3 cache and Big Navi has a purported whopping 128MB cache. This wil be a game changer in GPUs. I love where AMD is going with this.

3090 is looking to be 10% faster than 3080 @ 2x the price.

Big Navi is actually leaking to show as much if not more lerformance than the 3090 possibly.

3090 has 6mb of l3 cache and Big Navi has a purported whopping 128MB cache. This wil be a game changer in GPUs. I love where AMD is going with this.

We'll see. AMD hasn't been competitive on the top end in a very long time.

At this point with all the hardware not being available, it makes me want to just wait for big navi. I was all prepped to buy a 3090, but just the way this was handled, I'm waiting until after AMD throws down. My 1080ti can hold out for another month.

My only worry is AMD and their driver bullshit, which is a HUGE negative. I can deal with overheating or high power usage but having a driver issue that never gets fixed is unacceptable. I've heard the rumors that they are making sure their drivers are solid at release, I hope so. This is AMDs game to win if they have close to 3080 level of performance, future proof me is thinking "if consoles are all using RDNA2.... Maybe the ports will play better on a GPU with the same?"

Sincerely,

AltTabbins just an FYI bots can get past about 99% of all current captcha systems out there. Captcha's are pretty much useless these days. Now you likely have these bots / people using VPNs and such, question would be delivery addresses, but they likely have PO's or multiple addresses. Payment method may be the closest method they could use to limit per CC and with a CC they could validate the address to the card and then block that to 1 per card / address..

In the end I am sure NVIDIA could not care, so long as cards are sold..

Morphes I do wonder though how bad AMD will have the exact same issue. With AMD's performance in mining...i can see Navi being short as well and prices going high. I am starting to realize I may not get a new GPU until early 2021.. :(

AltTabbins just an FYI bots can get past about 99% of all current captcha systems out there. Captcha's are pretty much useless these days. Now you likely have these bots / people using VPNs and such, question would be delivery addresses, but they likely have PO's or multiple addresses. Payment method may be the closest method they could use to limit per CC and with a CC they could validate the address to the card and then block that to 1 per card / address..

In the end I am sure NVIDIA could not care, so long as cards are sold..

Even the unique credit card thing could be an issue with sites like this: https://privacy.com/virtual-card

Then the one card per address, is skirted with drop shipping address. But not sure how many people go through all that trouble or not.

MrGuvernment - That is totally fair man, but who knows AMD might get their launch right. I wonder if the demand will be lessened because so many people have already gotten new cards by then.

Company has enough money to buy ARM for 40 Billion dollars....

Can't design a decent website, hmm....That reminds me of something.

Honestly, I think the only way to limit scalpers would be to go totally old school and only sell them in brick and mortar stores. Of course that brings a whole new set of problems to the forefront.

"Pretty much useless" was the quote

They're not, which is why they're still widely used because the average joe scalper is not going to invest in high end solutions to solve captchas
Which is exactly why "average Joe scalper" didn't get any either and those "high end solutions" can easily be had for an inexpensive subscription.

In the context of this article "Pretty much useless" is spot on.

Back