Dealing With Internet Trolls

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know trolling is getting out of hand when people are getting paid to research the "internet troll phenomenon." Thanks to Joe S. for the link.

After much research and hard work, Hardaker came up with a working definition. A troll is someone "who constructs the identity of sincerely wishing to be part of the group in question, including professing or conveying pseudo-sincere intentions, but whose real intention(s) is/are to cause disruption and/or to trigger or exacerbate conflict for the purposes of their own amusement".

trollfaceresharenatorcommunity.jpg

Agent provocateur seems a better description, especially considering some "friendly" disagreements.

Everyone knows how to deal with trolls: Don't feed them.

Period.

End of story. No need to piss money away of studies. We don't need to study trolls. We need to ignore them. When their childish antics no longer provide them with attention, they're forced to either consolidate around other socially retarded individuals, or grow up. Studying them is the exact opposite of what they need, and what society desires. Don't feed the trolls.

If you insist on studying trolling, that research money should at least be spent on intelligent block lists that screen for troll behavior and auto ignores them.

Everyone knows how to deal with trolls: Don't feed them.

Period.

End of story. No need to piss money away of studies. We don't need to study trolls. We need to ignore them. When their childish antics no longer provide them with attention, they're forced to either consolidate around other socially retarded individuals, or grow up. Studying them is the exact opposite of what they need, and what society desires. Don't feed the trolls.

If you insist on studying trolling, that research money should at least be spent on intelligent block lists that screen for troll behavior and auto ignores them.

ujelly?

While learning about trolls isn't of the upmost importance, learning a little more about it might be a blessing in the skies. This research isn't some spurt-of-the-minute idea, but a cultivation of years of work.

Supposably, we might be able to reveal a little more about human nature, and that's fine in my book.

So in other words, they are sociopaths.
Leave it to the armchair psychologists to assign a personality disorder to what we once called "screwing with people" or "practical jokes". Millions of people enjoy doing it (and watching it).
Ever laughed at a prank video on Youtube? Ever pulled a prank yourself? BAM! you're a sociopath

Doing it on the internet instead of real life doesn't cause the Magical Personality Disorder Fairy to descend down on someone and make them a mental case.

Sad thing is, I actually know some of these trolls in real life. When they are around you they don't say any of the crap they say from the comfort of their keyboard. Hell they try to be nice to you, but trust me when you are not around and they feel safe they will bad mouth everyone to everyone. No exaggeration.

Trying to talk to some sense in them is pointless. They think everyone should just take all the crap they give them and be happy about it. Sad actually, they never take any responsibility for any of their actions.

But they are worst of all on the internet. We would still have to deal with these people if there was no internet. We would just be calling them another name that starts with an A, or just backstabbers. But have no doubt we would still be dealing with them. They just have another avenue to cause problems, and more safety to.

After much research and hard work, Hardaker came up with a working definition. A troll is someone "who constructs the identity of sincerely wishing to be part of the group in question, including professing or conveying pseudo-sincere intentions, but whose real intention(s) is/are to cause disruption and/or to trigger or exacerbate conflict for the purposes of their own amusement".

I think most of us could probably have come up with this conclusion.

Damn, I need to get a paid research deal like this... except I never will because first thing out of my mouth would be "internet pr0n." :p

funny and sad but i would do it. Get paid to surf the webz on troll patrol and get into their heads.....actually now that i think about it i would prolly quit within the first week. Trolls are annoying and the R u mad shit makes me feel dumber by the second. Like a retard kyrptonight that i gotta get away from.

Back