Dealing With Harassment In VR

HardOCP News

[H] News
The developers of QuiVr have come up with a simple solution for people that feel they are being harassed in their game called a Personal Bubble. With your own "superpower" activated, other players dissolve as they get close to you making it impossible to virtually "touch" anyone.

Now, though, activating your Personal Bubble is more like engaging your own superpower. You can still turn it on via the settings, but you can also activate it by what we’re calling a “power gesture” – putting your hands together, pulling both triggers, and pulling them apart as if you are creating a force field. No matter how you activate it, the effect is instantaneous and obvious – a ripple of force expands from you, dissolving any nearby player from view, at least from your perspective, and giving you a safety zone of personal space.

I wonder if they could do something so when this is activated, someone on their team can look at what happened (game DVR style) and see if it was harassment or not (via clear cut rules that every player agrees to). If it was, give the player that did it a warning. After 1 warning if they do it again, they are banned. Probably take a lot of resources, but it'd be effective. No one really wants to be banned.

In general, I like the idea, but it feels kind of eerie because I just finished watching the Black Mirror episode where they do this in real life... White Christmas, I think it was?

This works fine in their game (which is where the story yesterday came from) but won't work in all as some require close combat. but is a good solution for where it will work.

Stuff like this is/was a huge issue in Rec Room as well. Not sure how or if they made any chances to resolve it, but you would constantly get creepy assholes and/or annoying children running around harassing you or just screaming in the mic.

they've effectively added an /ignore command with a cool visual effect. good for them, being able to ignore or ban the annoying people has always been a useful tool in online interactions.

I've used it ALOT. The only problem is multiple characters if they are super dedicated...I mean psycho.

Or, just play titles like QuiVR where the developers actually dealt with the issue.

Whatever happened to fighting back or simply finding another server?

If these guys want to fix the problem, they won't make a better ignore feature, they would give the option to fight for yourself. Falcon punch those chucklefucks to the other side of the map.

This seems like a good and simple solution. And those kind of solutions are usually the best.

I haven't used any VR gear, so I don't know how it is yet. BUT, this sounds like in the PC (politically correct) culture nowadays its gonna get retarded. Vision of the future: Someone playing a VR MMO game with swords and shields and someone dies. Instead of immediately resurrecting them the healer walks over and Tbags them a few times and then gives them a rez... Then the person who got the rez is like OMG you violated my personal space with that Tbag! I'm reporting you to the GMs. :O

The EU should do something about this. My crystal ball says there will be a mandatory warning rendered 'onscreen' saying "objects in field of vision don't actually exist".

Whatever happened to fighting back or simply finding another server?

If these guys want to fix the problem, they won't make a better ignore feature, they would give the option to fight for yourself. Falcon punch those chucklefucks to the other side of the map.

Fighting back I agree with (posted something similar in the FPN thread). Finding another server...well, in VR MP currently you are lucky to find a server at all for some of these games. Just not enough userbase yet to have your pick.

I swear with each generation of humanity the internet and its denziens are getting gayer by the minute.

Back