Dead Space remake (2023)

The Escape from L.A. surfing scene haunts me to this day....
I throughly enjoyed the sequel it is a great so bad it's good movie, it's so ridiculous that you can't not giggle watching it. Also some of those effects from the dark ages of CGI are a piece of history.

I had to get a new 1Tb M2 drive for Forspoken and Dead Space to run on the Nvidia rig.

I had to get a new 1Tb M2 drive for Forspoken and Dead Space to run on the Nvidia rig.

Looks amazing, the problem is this is what the original looks like in my head when I played it in 2008 or 9. I remember the story line, but not what it looked like apparently. I'm ready for RE 4, not sure I'm ready for this yet. It really does look amazing.

As usual there's always going to be a small percentage of oblivious clowns that swear up and down the game doesn't stutter for them. Games in general are just becoming more and more of an unoptimized mess especially on the PC.

Last edited:
As usual there's always going to be a small percentage of oblivious clowns that swear up and down the game doesn't stutter for them. Games in general are just becoming more and more of an unoptimized mess especially on the PC.

It is a trend I hate. Very few PC games don't stutter these days. Probably half of the games I played, AAA, AA, have a stuttering problem.

FF7 Crisis Core Reunion is a PSP game that is a port on UE4 and it runs fine. While not a demanding game because it is based on some dated graphics I found it amusing how well it ran despite being a PSP port on UE4.

I'm really hoping they fix it. It was playable but certainly noticeable. I'm waiting for some patches before I do NG+.

That or maybe they just have setups that make it not very noticeable. I played Fallen Order recently and between overly fast gen 4 SSD and VRR display, the stuttering was extremely minimal. I still did pick up on it if I looked, but it was not the obvious stuff I'd seen in the reviews of the game years ago. I think part of it was a very fast CPU/drive just taking less time to stream shit in, but I've also found that VRR really helps make unstable frame rates less noticeable. Like if you are locked at 60 and you drop down to even just 58 or 59 for a sec, that kind of hitching is really noticeable. But if you have VRR even a bigger drop to 50 just isn't so noticeable in actual gameplay.

Not trying to excuse this shit from games, or to say some people aren't oblivious, but I think depending on setup it really can be less or more.

Dead Space Remake PC- DF Tech Review- The Stutter Struggle Continues

What they're describing sounds like their occlusion culling is out of whack or they baked it improperly. Maybe they don't load in assets off the main game thread, it's not an easy thing to do and most engines don't. I would think frostbite would have tools to do this. I'm surprised chunks of the level aren't completely loaded into memory and just disabled so the GPU doesn't render them. Something weird is going on here, but I don't think it's shader compilation.

Wccftech seems to be the only one complaining about performance and visuals as all the other reviewers with PC version mention that it runs and looks great.

and Wccftech was right...literally the only Day 1 review that got it right in terms of visuals and performance issues...

and Wccftech was right...literally the only Day 1 review that got it right in terms of visuals and performance issues...
Yep they were spot on. What is funny is that some of those reviewers later mentioned the stuttering AFTER the game out. You cant trust any youtube channel that gets a review code before a game launches it seems.

maybe cause it doesn't for them?

maybe cause it doesn't for them?
This is one of those games that the issue impacts EVERYONE to some extent. Anyone claiming the game is perfectly smooth and with zero stutter is just oblivious. Of course not a single person claiming that shit will post a video for proof. Just like when I show an area of Star Wars Fallen Order that stutters I get a few idiots saying must be your pc. This also reminds of RE Village where the stutter issue was clear and easily reproducible yet a few blind clowns claimed it did not happen for them but of course could not prove it by posting a video. Once again Digital Foundry had to expose the issue in RE Village and it was Capcom's own DRM that was at fault and later removed thus fixing that issue. Idiots that claim not to see easily reproducible issues in games and fight with others trying to get a fix are the problem here and if not for places like Digital Foundry some of those issues would never been addressed by the devs.

Last edited:
It ran good enough for me. I won't say it wasn't stutter free but it was never at a point that frustrated me. I do have a Gen4 NVMe and a VRR display soooo who knows. I seemed to get stutter right on load of a freshly launched game or when transitioning between like sections like Medical and Bridge. I can't say I recall any in combat or anything that really destroyed the immersion. Just IMO.

I'm only running at vsync 60fps so besides the little traversal drops it's not bad at all but I've only played about an hour into the game but I've spent a couple hours running around the same spots just testing out different settings for the heck of it. When I ran uncapped the FPS drops were way too jarring and has been mentioned before changing settings can result in bizarre performance changes. You can change to what should be more demanding settings and actually get better performance and vice versa. Essentially you have to exit out of the game and come back to it for your settings to actually get applied sometimes. Once another patch or two comes out I'll jump back in the game and play it as it's intended to be played.

I haven't had any issues with stutter yet. Of course the only other PC game that I have played lately has been Icarus, which has some fucking insane stutter compared to what that DF video found so atrocious.

I see stutter, luckily, when it doesn't matter. Starting up, usually after a game or driver update, in spite of precompiling - still something.

But I haven't had it impact the parts which matter, personally. YMMV of course.

The stutter in this game, fortunately, is really only when you transition rooms, so it's not a deal breaker.

The stutter in this game, fortunately, is really only when you transition rooms, so it's not a deal breaker.
Lol but you are constantly transitioning rooms at times in this game. It is not uncommon to see one hitch right after another running back in forth through areas. It needs to be fixed for sure.

Gotta be honest, the more I dig into this the more likely I think it is that modern games are going to have to require Direct Storage. I think all that's happening here is that Deadspace is loading in assets in real time and not having a direct storage API is creating a bottle neck. Has anyone tried this on a rig with 32 or 64 gb of ram, then going down to 16? Curious if it would alleviate the issue at all. I think devs don't want to cut out a huge portion of the PC market place, but I'm thinking NVME might need to be a requirement in the near future.

So I decided to quit pontificating on the matter and bought the game, massive stutters when I first started. I think I found an answer to some of the problem. The game doesn't recompile shaders after changing graphics settings, so what you should do is find a level of settings you like and manually force the issue. So set your graphics settings, and go to Documents => Deadspace (2023) => cache and delete everything in the folder. When you reboot the game shaders will be rebuilt as well. Keep in mind you'll need to do this again if your settings change. Surprised it's not something that's just done asynchronously but I was getting significant shader stutter after fiddling with settings mid game. There are still lag spikes when its loading in assets, there's only two options for solving this issue for the development team. Implement direct storage and make NVME mandatory to avoid stutter, or create a subsystem that asychronously loads game assets into memory as you're playing (would also require recommending 32 gb of ram). I'm suspecting neither will happen, frankly the spikes I'm experience now aren't bad enough to be a deal breaker, I was expecting to want to return the game but I'd say it's in a pretty good state.

Nvidia's latest 531.18 driver brings official Resizable BAR (ReBAR) support to Dead Space, which apparently boosts the performance of the title by anywhere from 25%- 50%

Who is inserting studs in the game?
Ha! Pretty good.

So with my specs this game really shouldn't run that great...and it doesn't. However it's certainly running better than i expected, studders and all. The bigger issue I'm having is mouse sensitivity. I have to boost it all the way to 95 for it to be playable. The strange thing is, once I save a game, the sensivity is off the charts for about a minute, and then it goes back to normal. Not sure what that's about.

Overall good game, that I'd like to see a few things fix to call it a great game.

I was playing around with gamma and settings on this game all last night on me new OLED finally figured out why it was too dark even though the settings were high I had Win 11 Desktop gamma the t-shirt slider thing overwriting the game making it too dark. Was happening for any game I booted up

So you recalibrated and it's good? Or did you have to disable that somehow?

Just finished my 3rd playthrough, on Impossible this time, and Platinum'd (yes on PS5) the game. Then started a 4th play through just to play around with the hand canon.. can't get enough of Isaac going "bang bang pew pew" with that thing. :D

You can fortunately cheese the Impossible mode easily too; if you die you have a second or so chance to pause the game and back out to the main menu and reload your save still. Which I had to do a handful of times, lol. But I'm sure it's even easier on PC since you can just backup your save file elsewhere if the game deletes it. You can kinda do that on PSN as well with the cloud save and just restore it if the game deletes your local save.

Anyways, game was everything I wanted and expected. I didn't experience any significant stuttering either on PS5, which lately is where I opt to play most games that have shader complication or other performance issues on PC. But the wife wanted to watch me play through this again as well since she liked watching the first one on Xbox 360 back in the day.

I'm just about finished, looks amazing on the Neo G7 in HDR with everything maxed. I'm running FSR 2 Quality to keep the framerate high. There is some traversal stutter but it's minimal, wasn't sure I'd want to play through the whole thing again having fond memories of it, but I was completely wrong. This game still feels fresh in 2023, game play was way ahead of its time. They really did make it feel like a whole new game.

20230419014126_2.jpg
I'm not going to buy any games untill I get my backlog cleared a bit. This is the first time I tried Flying and going in the Airlocks never got this far in the original.
I'm really liking this game now the original was too dark on my CRT TV which was hooked up to the PS3. Screenshot might be 1080P forgot to switch it over because of monitor switching.

Back