Dead Space remake (2023)

I’m running DLS quality at 4K with a 3080 and it seems to running great, not seeing any of the smearing being mentioned. HDR looks awesome in this game too. About an hour in and really happy with it so far.

The DLSS pics posted make me think we'll get an update from NVidia sooner than later. There is no reason some textures are sharp and (many) others blurry.

794g9a.jpg

While this won't stop me from playing, I really liked the way the old game controlled. It made you feel like you were actually wearing a space mining rig. Though I understand why that could be bothersome.
It worked, but was also occasionally annoying (tentacle fights - ugh).

I remember playing Dead Space 2 back in the day on my 2.1 stereo setup with a 12" sub, every time I would stump the corpses the whole house would shake lol. It was a very nice feeling.

While this won't stop me from playing, I really liked the way the old game controlled. It made you feel like you were actually wearing a space mining rig. Though I understand why that could be bothersome.

I’m in the same boat. The controls did have their issues, but they really sold how heavy that rig would be. Smoother controls will probably help the game overall as there are multiple points where the game was clearly not built around the more tank-y control system.

This is pretty fun. I played through the original only once so it feels fresh to me and a bit nostalgic at the same time. Graphics are nice and gameplay is true to the original. My only issue at the moment is performance. With either DLSS set to Quality or RTAO enabled, the game will run great for ~20 min and then FPS will nose-dive (usually related to some pre-scripted event like a large explosion etc.). Might be an indicator my 3080 isn’t up to the task at 4K or maybe just a bug. The fix so far has been setting DLSS to balanced and disabling RTAO. RTAO looks better to me but my poor-man’s fix is to reduce the overall brightness and that seems like a decent compromise. Gameplay is pretty damn great, I’ll play this through to the end.

This is pretty fun. I played through the original only once so it feels fresh to me and a bit nostalgic at the same time. Graphics are nice and gameplay is true to the original. My only issue at the moment is performance. With either DLSS set to Quality or RTAO enabled, the game will run great for ~20 min and then FPS will nose-dive (usually related to some pre-scripted event like a large explosion etc.). Might be an indicator my 3080 isn’t up to the task at 4K or maybe just a bug. The fix so far has been setting DLSS to balanced and disabling RTAO. RTAO looks better to me but my poor-man’s fix is to reduce the overall brightness and that seems like a decent compromise. Gameplay is pretty damn great, I’ll play this through to the end.
Even with a 3080 ti I would have to use balanced DLSS at 4k to stay above 60 fps on all max settings in demanding areas. And the game loves vram so if you only have 10 GB that might be right at the edge in 4k with RTAO.

Feeling this game but some of the texture work and omgrafix don't seem like a 2023 era game. Lack of RTX proper is disappointing as well. Gameplay seems dumbified and I am not even feeling scared. Doesn't capture the atmosphere of the first game. I give it a 7/10 based on 45 mins I played. No perf issues as well. I am doing about 150-160 fps in 4K in first area. Quality DLSS.

I played 2, 3, and "4" (Callisto), but never played this when it came out for whatever reason.
It's fun to circle back and see what started it, but now with some Loreal applied.

I've been enjoying it, but like all of them, sometimes I enter an area and just laugh. I know exactly what they're going to do to me. Nothing here now, but a trigger will occur, and something from over there, then 0.5 seconds later while they assume I'm looking there, something closer from directly behind me. Check.

Looks great, runs great. I still hate the forced checkpoint-only save stuff.

I played 2, 3, and "4" (Callisto), but never played this when it came out for whatever reason.
It's fun to circle back and see what started it, but now with some Loreal applied.

I've been enjoying it, but like all of them, sometimes I enter an area and just laugh. I know exactly what they're going to do to me. Nothing here now, but a trigger will occur, and something from over there, then 0.5 seconds later while they assume I'm looking there, something closer from directly behind me. Check.

Looks great, runs great. I still hate the forced checkpoint-only save stuff.
Huh? Dead Space has a pretty solid save system. You've got a decent amount of save station points around the entire space station to utilize.

As for the game not being that scary anymore - Yes, it's 2023 now, and there have been hundreds of games that have basically copied the Dead Space formula at this point. When the game came out all of this was fresh though.

It's like saying the exorcist or night of the living dead isn't scary in 2023. Of course it isn't. However, when those movies came out they pushed the envelope forward within the horror genre.

Huh? Dead Space has a pretty solid save system. You've got a decent amount of save station points around the entire space station to utilize.
Right. Can save when they want, not when I want. Nothing more nothing less.

It's alright. I don't think it's any better or any worse than the original. I was kind of annoyed that the changed around the layout of the starting areas, but I guess it makes more sense.

Boy, do they throw a lot more necromorphs at you than they did in the original. I guess the faster movement made them get carried away. As a result it doesn't feel as unnerving as the original did, in my opinion. I do like how the spawns are affected by an AI director, though. I restarted a few times to get used to the new control and every time the encounters were different.

There is something weird going on with the positional audio. Either the necromorphs are ninjas or the audio is messed up because I keep getting surprised by a necromorph head appearing out of nowhere right behind me without hearing them.

The game looks good in some instances, but overall it isn't that impressive when you start to look at things closely. The lighting goes a long way in making it look better than it actually is when analyzing the detail of it all. Ray traced global illumination would have gone a long way in this game.

Hit chapter 3. Game is decent. I think for 15 dollaritos can't really complain.
Good one and done type of shit. I wish more people offered the sub type options for these kinds of games.

Hit chapter 3. Game is decent. I think for 15 dollaritos can't really complain.
Good one and done type of shit. I wish more people offered the sub type options for these kinds of games.
I like it way better than The Callisto Protocol. I only get a few games a year at launch and I paid 40 bucks from cdkeys which I think is fair compared to the actual retail price. I like to own my games so I can go back to them whenever I want either to play or just test them out.

Sure. Glad we got options. I will also buy it to complete my collection but only when it is 5 dolla!

It is part of a nonsense movement and agenda that IMO has no place in a video game. I play games to get away from crap like that.
Wait till you find out how many artists, writers, actors, developers and other 'progreasive types' are involved with making games!

It's almost becoming a creative, artistic industry! Sickening!

Back on topic. My earlier comment about DLSS not looking right with some backgrounds looks like it may be VRS as the cause. I saw digital foundry mention this in the DF direct today and also this video from IGN talks about it. And there is no option to disable VRS which is crazy.

It's almost becoming a creative, artistic industry! Sickening!

I'd say it was more creative and artistic before people starting virtue signaling, which overrides both of those things.

Is this nonsense really in the game???

View attachment 545325

I like the half woman half man icon. You could easily just put the text and woman & man pictogram but they had to make a special half and half thingie. Which is kind of ironic because the people who tend to push this stuff will insist the half and half thingies are the same as the real deals. Whoever made that texture is either getting a promotion or being cancelled from working in the games industry. I'm honestly not sure if that was supposed to be "supportive" or a hidden insult.

Last edited:
I have not seen much talk about the AMD side, and FSR 2 in Dead Space, I only have an RX 6700 and no game ready drivers to brag about, the old Ryzen 5600x can run it.

I'm pretty far in the game and I really think they did a good job on this remake. The skill tree and weapon rebalance are fair; game looks and plays much better than the original. I prefer Isaac talking rather than silence and the added side quests are a decent little bit of extra content. The only thing I don't care too much for is the security level clearance stuff.

I agree - It's a decent remake. I don't have much criticism outside of the stutters in some of the areas. It's impressive that they remade this entire game in Frostbite the way that they did.

And yes, I think this remake is significantly better than Callisto Protocol. I still can't believe how many poor design decisions were made with Callisto.

Back on topic. My earlier comment about DLSS not looking right with some backgrounds looks like it may be VRS as the cause. I saw digital foundry mention this in the DF direct today and also this video from IGN talks about it. And there is no option to disable VRS which is crazy.

Can't watch that for a shift and a few extra hours, what's VRS?

Back