• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dead Space PC controls suck balls

defiant007

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
3,497
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67769

The controls are 2nd to the worst controls we’ve seen ever since Path of Neo came to the PC platforms. The smoothness compared to consoles is just not there, and from what we can tell it doesn’t seem like a patch can fix most of the issues. Inventory stack access becomes frustrating when fighting with monsters and aiming for on-the-fly changes. The controls just aren’t smooth

I guess this is a game which I am better off playing on my 46" LCD as opposed to my 19" CRT anyways....*sigh*.

Shitty porting strikes again.
 
Whoops, didnt see that thread :eek:

Tis a shame, will just get a used console copy to ensure that EA is deprived of a sale
 
This game looked very interesting to me, but when I heard it was over the shoulder and now has crappy PC controls, I think I will pass.
 
Unless u all have tryied urself from the game or demo dont jump to some early conclusions,, not everyting on the internet is true cause someone writes it.. i dont believe it really they would screw up the controls tbh.
 
When every review out there is complaining about horrible controls, I'll refrain from spending 50 bucks to "try it out myself." I'm not rewarding them for putting out garbage.
 
i dont believe it really they would screw up the controls tbh.
Why wouldn't you believe it? Didn't Irrational fuck up BioShock? Didn't Eden Games completely screw up Alone in the Dark?

Believe it or not, this stuff happens :)
 
I see the term "shitty port" used quite frequently, to me the word "shitty" seems a little redundant in that particular combination.
 
Whoops, didnt see that thread :eek:

Tis a shame, will just get a used console copy to ensure that EA is deprived of a sale

Lol.

Sometimes a game is just meant for the console (recently: RE4 - all version but PC play well).

Surprise?
 
Why wouldn't you believe it? Didn't Irrational fuck up BioShock? Didn't Eden Games completely screw up Alone in the Dark?

Believe it or not, this stuff happens :)

Because it's all the eye of the user. You're saying irrational fucked up bioshock. I had no problem with Bioshock, at all.

I rather wait to hear more opinions on the subject rather than following like a sheep at the first bleet of "baaahaad controls". Ideally if there was a demo it would be easier to confirm or not if they are bad to me.
 
Well, my D2D copy unlocks tomorrow morning. I can report back after I give it a try.
 
I am interested on getting it for PC also, even though I have a PS3, superior graphic is worth it for me if the control works like it suppose to with a xbox controller.
 
Lol.

Sometimes a game is just meant for the console (recently: RE4 - all version but PC play well).

Surprise?

hey now thats not quite a fair comparison. The RE4 PC port was an abomination of gaming, a sinful mess of code that should never have seen the light of day outside of its demonic hole in capcom's evil laboratories. They didn't even include mouse support for christ sake! I'll just say that again: They didn't include mouse support. On a PC game. A 3rd third person shooter.

Thats like making a soccer game without a soccer ball if you ask me. And that is just the start. If redwood shores has any inclination to keep customers, i bet you a patch will be popping up in a week or two giving some enhanced/fixed/proper controls.
 
hey now thats not quite a fair comparison. The RE4 PC port was an abomination of gaming, a sinful mess of code that should never have seen the light of day outside of its demonic hole in capcom's evil laboratories. They didn't even include mouse support for christ sake! I'll just say that again: They didn't include mouse support. On a PC game. A 3rd third person shooter.

Thats like making a soccer game without a soccer ball if you ask me. And that is just the start. If redwood shores has any inclination to keep customers, i bet you a patch will be popping up in a week or two giving some enhanced/fixed/proper controls.

Really?

Wow... I just don't understand why/how developers actually PORT/emulate a console game on PC.. are they really that cheap that they don't want to waste money actually remaking the game for the PC and straight up taking the console code and putting some allowpcplay=on line in the code and send it on manufacturing?
 
Really?

Wow... I just don't understand why/how developers actually PORT/emulate a console game on PC.. are they really that cheap that they don't want to waste money actually remaking the game for the PC and straight up taking the console code and putting some allowpcplay=on line in the code and send it on manufacturing?

My only guess is that they don't see the PC as a full platform on it's own, but rather an extension of the PS2/gamecube game to make a quick buck off of. Like all those shitty mobile phone versions of games we see all the time. Make a port as cheaply and quickly as possible and boot it out the door. Even if they only sell a few thousand copies, thats that much more than they would have had if they didn't make the "port". I really cant imagine they spent any significant amount of time or money on the job. They successfully turned RE4 into a shovelware game. :(
 
Really?

Wow... I just don't understand why/how developers actually PORT/emulate a console game on PC.. are they really that cheap that they don't want to waste money actually remaking the game for the PC and straight up taking the console code and putting some allowpcplay=on line in the code and send it on manufacturing?

Yea, time is money! I want to see a PC game ported to the console. If that can be accomplished well then PC gaming is truly about to die.
 
Would be great if someone here could actually report back on this soon, as I know I was definitely looking forward to this title greatly. I'd like to know just how "bad" the controls really handle, and how it effects the game in general.
 
...makes pinpoint-accuracy abnormally and unnecessarily difficult in a game that demands it more than the average shooter.

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/dead-space/review/dead-space/a-20081020112112859019/g-20080303156783069

Well, that's bad news. Especially because the game does require the "strategic dismemberment", so you have to aim accurately at the creatures' limbs, which is indeed a bit more than the average shooter requires.

You'd think they would have put a bit more effort into tweaking the PC at least, considering it requires such aiming.

What a waste of a game that otherwise seems fantastic in all it's other elements.

Damn... one more game scratched off the list.
 
I'm still getting it tomorrow regardless, since I've been dying to play it and I recently sold my 360.. if it really is that bad, I'm just going to be naive and hope for a patch in the near future
 
i went ahead and got this for ps3 so i wouldn't have to deal with possible problem that would probably put me away from playing it on pc
im about 2hours into game and yea its great so far
 
Because it's all the eye of the user. You're saying irrational fucked up bioshock. I had no problem with Bioshock, at all.
I'm glad you didn't. Still, many others did. Not all things are universally adequate simply because you, or any other single person or group of people, had no issue with them.

Even Irrational thought it was fucked up, which is why they (attempted to) fix it in the only patch they ever released for the game. So...
 
I'm glad you didn't. Still, many others did. Not all things are universally adequate simply because you, or any other single person or group of people, had no issue with them.

Even Irrational thought it was fucked up, which is why they (attempted to) fix it in the only patch they ever released for the game. So...
Bioshock was fine for MOST people and after the patch mouse controls were basically perfect. Alone in the Dark on the other hand is the worst shit I have ever tried to play and 99% of people would agree with me on that.
 
Bioshock was fine for MOST people and after the patch mouse controls were basically perfect. Alone in the Dark on the other hand is the worst shit I have ever tried to play and 99% of people would agree with me on that.
I would still disagree with the first part, but strongly agree with the second. It's kind of depressing in one sense, though terribly amusing in another :)
 
it seems this quote from that review seems to be the consensus so far: " In my opinion this game is more suitable to be played with a game pad because no matter how hard I tried to adjust the mouse sensitivity and the keyboard buttons to suit my liking, I was just unable to get the hang of it."

Man, that's ridiculous... the why, why did they even bother releasing it for PC at all? Did they play-test it before going gold and somehow "missed" how bad the controls were? Somehow, I just cant fathom that.

Damn shame, too, because I'm betting this would have been a tremendous experience on PC with the visual advantages (and controls, if they were done right) PC has over consoles.

But from the sounds of all of these comments, it's nothing more than an exercise in frustration on PC with the controls. What a waste...
 
This is why some people's blanket statement of PC > all just does not work. To be fair, it was the developer dropping the ball, not the platform.

I respect the PC's potential, but even if the controls on it were smooth, I personally prefer the 360 gamepad and a nice big TV so I can kick back and enjoy the glory. So yes, I bought Dead Space for the 360 and do not regret it for one second.

There are some games made for console, and some for PC. Being a console supporter (with my fair share of props to PC), I honestly can't believe why people insist to play RTS games on console. That's something I'd rather have on PC any day.
 
Lol.

Sometimes a game is just meant for the console (recently: RE4 - all version but PC play well).

Surprise?

hey now thats not quite a fair comparison. The RE4 PC port was an abomination of gaming, a sinful mess of code that should never have seen the light of day outside of its demonic hole in capcom's evil laboratories. They didn't even include mouse support for christ sake! I'll just say that again: They didn't include mouse support. On a PC game. A 3rd third person shooter.

Thats like making a soccer game without a soccer ball if you ask me. And that is just the start. If redwood shores has any inclination to keep customers, i bet you a patch will be popping up in a week or two giving some enhanced/fixed/proper controls.

RE4 played perfect on my pc. might have something to do with my logitech wireless rumblepad 2. besides the controls, even the performance was great. smooth and clean.
 
Man, that's ridiculous... the why, why did they even bother releasing it for PC at all? Did they play-test it before going gold and somehow "missed" how bad the controls were? Somehow, I just cant fathom that.

Damn shame, too, because I'm betting this would have been a tremendous experience on PC with the visual advantages (and controls, if they were done right) PC has over consoles.

But from the sounds of all of these comments, it's nothing more than an exercise in frustration on PC with the controls. What a waste...

well just think about playing any of Resident Evil game with KB + MOUSE.
 
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/10/21/dead-space/5

"Dead Space isn't an easy game to like and a lot of that is down to one very simple thing; the controls. The root of those control problems? Three words: it's a port".

"The controls however are a totally different matter; they are just plain awful. They are sticky, unresponsive and stiff "




http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/08/25/new_dead_space_handson_impressions-2.html

" After reacquainting ourselves with Dead Space's controls — no small feat, because they're more than a little bit confusing and currently our only real complaint with the game "
 
I personally prefer the 360 gamepad and a nice big TV so I can kick back and enjoy the glory.

You can use a 360 pad on a PC, and I happen to have my PC connected to my 42" LCD via HDMI. It's really not that hard to set up a PC as part of a home theater... a DVI-to-HDMI adapter, a couple USB extension cables, and you're good to go.
 
I respect the PC's potential, but even if the controls on it were smooth, I personally prefer the 360 gamepad and a nice big TV so I can kick back and enjoy the glory.
There's no real barrier to being able to do the very same thing with your PC though. Microsoft makes an identical gamepad for the PC -- the X360 Controller for Windows -- and outputting from your video card to your TV is no big thing.
 
There's no real barrier to being able to do the very same thing with your PC though. Microsoft makes an identical gamepad for the PC -- the X360 Controller for Windows -- and outputting from your video card to your TV is no big thing.

I agree. However, it's the game ports which force you to use the keyboard/mouse instead of a controller which suck. At the same time most PC users don't want to use a controller to play their PC games.

It's unfortunate people are complaining of the controls feeling like a console port. That's the kind of talk which makes people think about pirating.
 
It's unfortunate people are complaining of the controls feeling like a console port. That's the kind of talk which makes people think about pirating.
okay I dont understand the connection there. so if the controls in the game suck then why would people want it at all? I would think the games that have no issues would be the ones people would want(legally and illegally).
 
okay I dont understand the connection there. so if the controls in the game suck then why would people want it at all? I would think the games that have no issues would be the ones people would want(legally and illegally).

If there is doubt about a PC game (consolized port, bad controls, etc) people are more likely to pirate it out to see just how bad the problems are, that is if there is no demo available.
 
Back
Top