Dead Space 3 to include microtransactions.

Johnked6

[H]ard|Gawd
According to Associate Producer Yara Khoury,

You can buy resources with real money, but scavenger bots can also give you the currency that you can use on the marketplace, so you don't have to spend [real-world] dollars," Khoury said.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/dead-space-3-has-microtransactions-6402708

I'm confused, I thought DS3 only had single player with drop in/out co-op option for the campaign. Why would we ever need to grind out resources for new guns in an 8 hr game?

This leaves a real bad taste in my mouth and I LOVE the DS series.

Wow this sucks, I'm absolutely sick of this trend with devs/publishers when you already spent $50-$60 for the game itself, then they want to nickel and dime you to death on shit that should have been included?

Without knowing what the actual "grinding" curve is and game play impact of items there isn't really much you can judge from this. You did need resources in DS1 and DS2 as well. If the curve is basically the same and some people want to pay to get ahead, well its their money, and yes some people are that impatient.

The first DS had the tank armor/weapon DLC, among others. Not that I bought any of it, I just know the tank put the game on easy mode even on hardest difficulties.

If people want to pay even more money to essentially unlock "I Play Gamesh For Deh Shtoriesh Mode" and have every weapon, armour/suit and ability unlocked and maxed-out from the beginning or as soon as they become available in-game, then it's no problem. If however the game goes all Diablo III-style and is designed to make microtransactions almost necessary for high-level play, then it is unacceptable.

Dead Space 1/2-style resource availability + microtransaction shortcuts = no problem.

Well, we just won't buy the extra shit. I'm looking forward to some co-op in a few weeks.

as long as the microtransactions aren't required to complete something in the game or make the game better or more fun than it is out of the box, just don't buy it.

Never been a fan of the DS series. I love survival horror games but the whole premise of this series seems kinda meh. I'll pick it up when the entire series is on sale for 20 bucks or less on steam.

I was almost curious what EA humping the dead corpse of a game would look like. Nvm getting the image now.

The first Dead Space to this day still is unpatched. Not sure about Dead Space 2, but it didn't get any of the DLC that the console versions got like the "Severed" expansion. It's not surprising to see no PC support from Visceral with Dead Space 3.

The first Dead Space to this day still is unpatched. Not sure about Dead Space 2, but it didn't get any of the DLC that the console versions got like the "Severed" expansion. It's not surprising to see no PC support from Visceral with Dead Space 3.

Entitlement!

the microtransactions are irrelevant in my book because the developers have stated that you don't have to pay to access all in-game content...it acts almost like a shortcut for those that do not like to explore...Visceral has stated that it's for those that don’t have as much time to play and might want to see all of the upgraded equipment sooner

Some more information on the microtransactions,

http://youtu.be/LN8o9gsUuN4?t=5m11s (Video of producer explaining the microtransaction system)

According to the producer there are microtransaction bundles that include resources and weapon parts NOT FOUND IN THE GAME. In order to get your hands on them you'll have to dish out real money or collect "EXTREMELY RARE" seals in the game.

I still don't like the idea of adding microtransactions to single player content on games you spend $60 for. I could accept it for ME3 mp since they added a fun to play mp on top of the lengthy single player experience.

For those that say it's ok since it just lets people shortcut, that's what easy difficulty is for. Or in a perfect world, cheat codes and mods.

I'm sure they'll try to balance it for ds3 but this leaves a bad precedence for EA to screw it up in the next game.

Last edited:
If it were a situation of paying money to earn unlocks faster, I would be fine with that. You could choose to not pay anything extra and just unlock the items at the games pace. If you had money to blow and wanted to buy the items instead of earning them, that's fine too. It doesn't negativity affect anyone. However, if these microtransactions are for items that can only be acquired with real money, that's a bit of a bummer. I suppose it really depends on price. It's really not any different that pre-order DLC or retailer exclusive DLC that often adds small items to the game that can only be acquired via that one outlet. If the price falls in line with the existing trend (say... $1 for a new weapon?) then that's not completely out of line. You can still chose not to buy it and I'm sure the game will play just as well. And if you really have to have everything, at least it is only a buck. What concerns me is if they are looking at games like Planetside and thinking gamers are willing to pay $5 or more to add a new weapon to the game, without taking into account the fact that a player will get exponentially more use out of a purchased weapon in Planetside than they would in a single-player game like Dead Space.

NOT FOUND IN THE GAME. In order to get your hands on them you'll have to dish out real money or collect "EXTREMELY RARE" seals in the game.

Which is it then? First of all you say not in the game, but then say it can be aquired by ingame stuff, which makes it in the game?

Which is it then? First of all you say not in the game, but then say it can be aquired by ingame stuff, which makes it in the game?

I think what he means is that you won't run across the weapons in game, but when you collect these rare seals, you'll be able to trade them in for weapons. Or however that works.

On another note, this game IS still coming out next tuesday (the 5th), isn't it? PC and consoles?

I think what he means is that you won't run across the weapons in game, but when you collect these rare seals, you'll be able to trade them in for weapons. Or however that works.

On another note, this game IS still coming out next tuesday (the 5th), isn't it? PC and consoles?

So they are in the game! :D

According to Amazon it's the 5th (though the Origin store seems to have it a week later). Maybe they are allowing retailers a week? :confused:

According to Amazon it's the 5th (though the Origin store seems to have it a week later). Maybe they are allowing retailers a week? :confused:

I hope it's next week, hell I wish it was this week. My buddy and I are chomping at the bit to play it, just because it's co-op, and anything that pops out of nowhere scares the shit out of my friend, so it'll be fun as hell. :D

Hell, in Dead Island, whenever you'd go into an office or something, and if a zombie popped out, he'd scream at the top of his lungs and beat the shit out of the zombie, until there were just pieces of him/her left. Was great.

that's odd...why would Origin penalize anyone for choosing to buy direct?..oh wait, I forgot...it's EA we're talking about here...

more than likely it's going to use Securom date check and the PC version is dependent on Origin, so your probably not going to be able to play until the 12th anyways...smh

that's odd...why would Origin penalize anyone for choosing to buy direct?..oh wait, I forgot...it's EA we're talking about here...

more than likely it's going to use Securom date check and the PC version is dependent on Origin, so your probably not going to be able to play until the 12th anyways...smh

Why the 12th exactly?

Well, I just won't spend money on it beyond the initial buy, simple.

BTW, Dead Space 3 supports Bokeh Depth of Field, SSAO, and Antialiasing, a first for the series. I watched the demo, and the foot steps leave foot steps in the snow, a cool effect.

As long as the DS3 port is on the same level as the DS2 port I'll be fine with it. The input lag / acceleration almost makes the first one unplayable and is very distracting. The low FOV is just part of the game (almost to the point of being a gameplay mechanic) and I can deal with it.

I don't really have time to be admiring graphics when trying to survive the constant assault of necromorphs anyway. The graphics set the atmosphere very well.

the game is coming out on the 5th...just looked on the Origin page and it says the same thing...one person says something on an internet forum and everyone screams in panic and automatically assumes it to be true?

the game is coming out on the 5th...just looked on the Origin page and it says the same thing...one person says something on an internet forum and everyone screams in panic and automatically assumes it to be true?

Of course. That's how the Internet works!

I was watching sterlings tirade on this over at the escapist and I really thought to myself, ok I already hate EA as a company but I'm so thankful for them doing this because now I don't have to actually boycott them. I just don't want to play any of their shitty games anymore. Mental write off done.

Like most resident evil players I never "Liked" Dead Space. It had pretty visuals, semi-interesting storyline, generic repetitive BOO scares and monsters, an upgrade system and weapons that left you using the starting weapon all the way to the end of the game, but hey it was survival horror and all we had to work with. I've been playing Dead Space 2 and its really just the same old shit and more of it but even less interesting.

So I really just don't care. I really have no interest in playing D3 at all. I don't care for the co-op, the plot seems meh and now I have to pay for content? Naw I'm good. BF3 is Janky, Battlelog is a joke. Even if I want to play Crysis 3 I'll probably be able to pick it up on Steam. EA can officially go suck a dick.

I was watching sterlings tirade on this over at the escapist and I really thought to myself, ok I already hate EA as a company but I'm so thankful for them doing this because now I don't have to actually boycott them. I just don't want to play any of their shitty games anymore. Mental write off done.

Like most resident evil players I never "Liked" Dead Space. It had pretty visuals, semi-interesting storyline, generic repetitive BOO scares and monsters, an upgrade system and weapons that left you using the starting weapon all the way to the end of the game, but hey it was survival horror and all we had to work with. I've been playing Dead Space 2 and its really just the same old shit and more of it but even less interesting.

So I really just don't care. I really have no interest in playing D3 at all. I don't care for the co-op, the plot seems meh and now I have to pay for content? Naw I'm good. BF3 is Janky, Battlelog is a joke. Even if I want to play Crysis 3 I'll probably be able to pick it up on Steam. EA can officially go suck a dick.

I think you're just getting old (no offense). There won't be any "glory days" anymore. It's done. Over. Finished. It's resonating across all the genres. Sure we may have one of those shining examples coming from a kickstarter, but that's about it.

There won't be "true horror/survival" games, there won't be those games with adjectives like "challenging" and "tough" thrown in there either.

For what it's worth, I liked Dead Space a lot, and it must have been fun working on it from a developer perpsective.

I agree 100%. The fact that this bullshit is tied to Origin is the icing on the turd.

I don't mind the micro-transactions (since apparently it doesn't need to be used)...I don't mind Origin all that much...but I do mind that they did not optimize the game for PC at all and are proud of it...they want the game to play the same across all platforms...so even though I loved the first 2 games I will be holding off until a sale comes along

Damn right entitlement. When you pay money for a game you deserve a certain quality to be upheld. It's unrealistic to believe that will always be the case, but it's the way it SHOULD be.

What about if we have money to blow? ;)

Back