DDR4 Prices are Falling

Is a ramdisk really that much faster (especially for games) than a m2. nvme samsung pro? Let's pretend $250 gets you a decent 32gb 3000+ kit... same $250 would get you a 500gb nvme drive...

Not being an ass, I just don't know if it makes that much difference for games.

edit - should have just searched our forum first (*spoiler alert* not worth the $$ and effort of ramdisk)

https://hardforum.com/threads/nvme-...a-iii-ssd-game-load-time-comparisons.1911914/
You are probably correct but explaining a Ramdisk to someone just makes you sound cool....

In database workloads, a ramdisk is actually slower than using something like nvme/pci-e flash storage.

The problem is that with a ramdisk, the CPU wastes half its cycles moving data between the ramdisk and main memory to use data, vs if you have a fast storage device that supports DMA, that is handled by the disk/controller vs the CPU.

Flash is also a ton cheaper than DRAM for storage/database, and you don't have all the downtime after a crash/reboot of re-populating data in to a ramdisk, you can just boot and go.

It's nice to see that fast 32GB kits are now around $300 compared to when I was researching a Skylake-X build and they were going for $700-$800. The 32GB DDR3 in my current build was $240 at the time, so this is a lot easier to swallow.

Back