• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DDR2 Ram Pricing...

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
411
Anyone remember when DDR2 was this expensive :D

Was just looking through some newegg invoices and thought about how much prices for DDR2 have dropped since then. This invoice was July of 07 I believe. I cant believe I spent that much for ram!

Ram.jpg
 
It's the price of cutting edge technology.

Good to see that the prices have come way down for DDR2.

Also DDR3 has been coming donw quite a bit as well.


Also I think in general from what I have read online DDR2 isn't the same quality that it used to be.
 
I remember paying $90 (~$60 after rebate) for my 2 x 1GB Patriot PC2-6400 DDR2 800 kit. Paid the same for my 6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 kit. ;)
 
I remember paying close to or around that for my 2x1gb 1066mhz Crucial Ballistix Tracers. Now we can easily get 4gb for a fraction of that. :D

Now if only I could decide on what 4gb 2x2 kit to get. Like SonDa5 said, I also read something similar. Especially with with the 4gb kits from Crucial and Corsair didn't come close to their previous 2gb 2x1 kits.
 
Especially with with the 4gb kits from Crucial and Corsair didn't come close to their previous 2gb 2x1 kits.
This is not an indicator of quality. DDR2 and DDR2 memory controllers simply hit their limits. And, it's no surprise that higher density ICs will OC as well as lower density ICs using the same voltages and memory controller technologies.
 
This is not an indicator of quality. DDR2 and DDR2 memory controllers simply hit their limits. And, it's no surprise that higher density ICs will OC as well as lower density ICs using the same voltages and memory controller technologies.

Well I was just going by something that I read here, always liked Corsair and Crucials kits. I think people expected the crazy overclocks of previous kits and just weren't pleased, doesn't really matter to me as I don't overclock much. I was actually leaning towards the 4gb Dominators for a ram upgrade that I want to do soon.
 
Ha, I remember paying $125.00 for a 128Mb stick of PC133...:eek:
 
I paid $130 for 4mb in the early 90's for 386sx16...it's amazing how much $130 will get you now!!!

DDR2 is throw away cheap now. DDR is impossible to afford if you have a board which needs it. :(
 
I paid $130 for 4mb in the early 90's for 386sx16...it's amazing how much $130 will get you now!!!

DDR2 is throw away cheap now. DDR is impossible to afford if you have a board which needs it. :(

LOL....same here and it was used! I needed an extra 4mb of memory and a boot loader disk so I could play Ultima ......7 I think it was. Mine was a Packard Hell 486DX2 machine.
 
Well I was just going by something that I read here, always liked Corsair and Crucials kits. I think people expected the crazy overclocks of previous kits and just weren't pleased, doesn't really matter to me as I don't overclock much. I was actually leaning towards the 4gb Dominators for a ram upgrade that I want to do soon.

That's cool and I was not trying to "bust your chops". But, a lot of people think that OCing ability is one of if not THE best measure of quality for a memory IC. I was just pointing out that OCability is not really a indicator of quality in and of itself.
 
I agree with you on that, to some overclocking is everything, but we can't please everyone ;)

I don't even want to remember what I paid for RAM in my Penitum (Pro) days. 75mhz and turbo button goodness for blistering speeds ~_~
 
. Mine was a Packard Hell 486DX2 machine.

Yeah man...I had the same machine....I remember taking out the 14.4 modem and putting in a high speed 56k modem...I was flying around the internet at 44k...the best connection I could connect with..:)
 
ram is gettin so cheap now. i remember i bought 2gb of ddr2 pc8500 for 100 dollars couple years back and it was a great deal
 
On a related note, when do you fellows thing DDR2 prices will start to rise dramatically due to the transition to DDR3? After Intel releases its P55 platform, maybe?
 
I don't think it will rise dramatically unless some of the ICs needed for extreme speed grades get very scarce on short notice. Then, only the really fast stuff will go up and that may still not occur quickly. The planet is saturated with 533/667/800 DDR2 and it should be reasonably priced for quite some time.
 
I don't think it will rise dramatically unless some of the ICs needed for extreme speed grades get very scarce on short notice. Then, only the really fast stuff will go up and that may still not occur quickly. The planet is saturated with 533/667/800 DDR2 and it should be reasonably priced for quite some time.

Thanks! I always appreciate advice from the experts. ;)
 
From what I understand,

1. DDR2 was produced in very large quantities, as it was expected that Vista would sell very well and people would be upgrading (and that companies like Dell would also be buying lots of it) so that they could run it faster.

2. Vista didn't sell as well as expected, which means that each company's been left with a major stockpile.

High stock, low demand, low prices.
 
^I remember buying my 1gb PNY laptop ram for $60 a few years ago (and it was on sale). It was worth it though considering how my laptop only had 512mb ram and an integrated videocard...lol
 
Vaugely remember paying aroudn $120 for 4MB SIMM's several years back. Used some for the system and then added 2 sticks onto my SB Awe-32 so I could upload a better sounding GM soundfont.
 
Theres no reason to not get 8GB while its cheap right now. Eventually you'll need it ;).
 
Heh, this thread made me look at some of my oldest Newegg invoices... $299 for a GF 6800 OC in Nov of '04, ouch! Came out to $350 w/shipping & tax too (which Newegg doesn't even charge when shipping to PR anymore, heh), 'least it came with Farcry IIRC... And buying it from BFG was well worth it as the card died (and was replaced) about three years down the line, doesn't even seem that long ago.

Apparently I bought Windows XP twice (once w/SP1 and once w/SP2) in the span of three months too, and I can't for the life of me remember why, heh. I don't even wanna look at some of the saved receiptes/e-mails I have from the system I built when I went to college, I'm sure I paid way more than I should've for the GF1 (or was it GF2?), P3 933MHz, and 512MB of PC133 (not to mention the doomed IBM 75GB 75GXP).

All my oldest RAM purchases were straight from Crucial though, let's see...

Qty: 2 BL6464Z402
Part Number: BL6464Z402
Price: $130.99
Description: 512MB, Ballistix 184-pin DIMM
Line total: $261.98

Yes, you read that right, $262 for 1GB of DDR... It cost more than the processor and mobo I was pairing it with, combined. So, do I win the thread for most overpriced RAM purchase (within the last 5 years)? :p I don't think those Ballistix sticks were overpriced comparatively speaking either, so RAM prices must've just been thru the roof towards the end of '04. Curiously I also had to RMA that stuff about a year after I purchased it, heh. Crucial had a very large batch of bad sticks but I got a good set on the first RMA (unlike my BFG video card)... Actually I RMA'd 'em seperately IIRC. Edit: Apparently DDR prices were even higher still during mid-2004.
 
Last edited:
I just picked up the RAM in my sig for $33! Right now, I think it is the best value/bang for buck of any upgrade (and usually the easiest). Lovin' the new RAM.

Yeah, this is the way thing go. The GPU in my sig cost me $600!!!:eek:
 
That was a bad time to be buying a high-end GPU tho, just like when many of us paid $250+ for DDR... Right now, thanks to stiff competition, an equivalent GPU might run you $160-240 at worst, heh. Doesn't mean that prices might not shoot up again (for memory or GPUs) if competition weakens or another earthquake rips thru Taiwan. :eek:
 
My dad was mentioning he paid $1000 for a 50GB SCSI from Seagate... Still works too, he still had it running in his PC 10 years later... but now he's running a new MacPro for both OSX and XP

But yea, I had a receipt for $254 for 2x1GB of Patriot...667... was my 4200 X2 AM2 board, late 06 right when the 8800GTX came out and I got 2 7950GT's for SLI instead of one of those (fail.)

Then I sold those on here sometime last year for $25...
 
$180ish for my first 2x CD-Rom that I ran off the Sound Blaster ISA card (either a panasonic or a mitsumi)
 
This is from when i built my latest PC *See Sig*
9/4/07
1

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231122

Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

$219.99

Same kit is like 40 bucks now
 
Back
Top