DC Vault 2

Yep, I sent Kevin a Private message, I guess we will see if/when he rolls any changes out :)

Awesome. I think it is great that you put the work into it. I just wish other projects would open their code for others to attempt to improve. CEP2 at WCG is one of the projects that I would like to see heavily improved upon. However, opening the code the masses isn't going to happen...

[H] passed the Knights in Docking today. Good work all! There's some quality crunching being done out there. Keep it up!

There's a lot of mowing action going on over at Rosetta. :D We ought to be breaking into the top 150 by the end of the day.

We've also been destroying POGS as well. We're now 16th overall and 7th for RAC. Wow. Thank you to everyone who has been contributing. We've been doing awesome lately. All my horsepower is pointed at Einstein at the moment, because for some reason I want to get close to Jereon's (EVGA cruncher) RAC over there.

We dropped a spot at SOB today. I am looking at the client and will possibly put a guide up for it here soon. Seems pretty simple to run. It also uses the same client but slightly different configuration file as GIMPS. I will also do a Guide for it just in case anyone gets confused. I however probably will not be testing the GIMPS apps for GPU's, so if any members have experience with these, please post a guide.

Just so that everyone knows, SOB is also a PrimeGrid project. However, doing work at PrimeGrid only raises our position at PrimeGrid. You would need to run the SOB client (Prime95) to advance our position at the Vault under the SOB project.

The same goes for PSP, OGR, and MUON (the last two are also crunched at YoYo for clarifcation)

We are currently 32nd place and have less than 10% of the team in 10th place. I'm guessing if we did a push on it, we could take 4-5 positions pretty easy.

http://sob.qik.nl/index.php?team=34&more=team&type=overall&date=2014-02-26

Last edited:
MindModeling@home (BETA) has been brought up in the DC-Vault forums as a potential addition.

http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54611

Please give your thoughts and input in their forums. If you don't have an account and can't get one created, send me a PM or drop a post here and I will relay the info on your behalf. I kinda like the idea of the project, but my peeve is that it has been in BETA since it launched. I'm not a fan of projects that stay in BETA their whole existence. However, that is not currently a Vault requirement and just my problem.

Apparently OGR-28 will have new stats.

http://stats.distributed.net/team/tlist.php?project_id=28&low=1&limit=100

There has also been requests for removal of OGR-27 which would make sense if OGR-28 has new stats. Then there is a request to add OGR-28.

I will like to point out, that our standing in the Vault will go down when they pull OGR-27. Unless someone is crunching OGR-28, that will certainly hurt more since other teams are already running those work units. If our team has no desire to run OGR-28 clients (note that YoYo already has OGR-28 as a sub project), it would be good to have input to add to the thread.

http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54617

Last edited:
Hmm, looking at the DC vault list , why is Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP still listed, isn't it replaced with primegrid?

Actually, no. PSP is it's own project and PrimeGrid reserves blocks of work like anyone else could. Recently they announced in their forums that you had to email the project admin to get work because PrimeGrid is the primary contributor and pretty well has all blocks reserved because of it. So, technically you can still get work if you want it. Since that is the case, it is still qualified to be part of the Vault. You will find that Seventeen or Bust is another project that PrimeGrid also supports. However, that project is a little more active.

Want to hear more? YoYo also has a wrapper for two of the Vault projects. Both OGR and Muon are Vault projects. So, you can contribute to the science via a couple projects. I'm not a fan of this cross contribution, but they don't violate any Vault rules.

To be fair, the Vault doesn't discriminate based on client. So, we have 4 sciences that span across 6 projects. RC5 would fall in this category if Moo! was added.

I'm not a fan of these scenarios because I think this cross project contribution puts more value on those 4 "sciences".

WCG has finally been moved in the DC-Vault to the Misc category where it belongs.

OGR-27 seems to have been removed.

Points are apparently still re-adjusting. Looking through the position changes, you can certainly pick out the teams that avoid low point return projects like WCG. Jumping 30 spots in Bio while dropping 45 spots in Misc... :eek: Luckily we have only gained so far. Crossing fingers.

Last edited:
Anybody that wants to join in I am currentley in 39th place in the Primegrid PSP-LLR: Double Top Secret Mystery Challenge http://www.primegrid.com/challenge/2014_3/top_users.html I think we may be able to do pretty good in it. :eek:

You could, but I would suck in it. My systems can barely run the pony races. Remember that movie Racing Stripes? Well...I could only dream of an outcome like that. LOL

I will say though that so far Prime95 client has ran decent on a few of my test machines.

Also team, please take the time to stop in the Vault forums and give some input. How the Vault gets ran and what projects make it or break it are determined by who shows up to give their $.02.

http://www.team-ninja.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Just switched over some systems to that challenge.

If Im reading this correctly, the race is in a project that only has a CPU client correct?

Yes it only has CPU and I have a bunch of them that are going to complete tomorow :D

By the way the my 2700k is really prety fast at them but you need to turn HT off on the intels they will run just slightly faster than twice as fast with HT off

Last edited:
By the way the my 2700k is really prety fast at them but you need to turn HT off on the intels they will run just slightly faster than twice as fast with HT off

This brings up a good point. Has anyone disabled hyperthreading on various CPU-based BOINC projects to determine if HT adds or detracts from WU compute times? I would imagine each project might have different outcome (i.e. Docking, POEM, Rosetta, SIMAP, etc).

It is different between projects. WCG forum posters claim that HT is like a 20-30% increase over all. You will also find that PrimeGrid tends to run hotter than many projects. Or at least that is what I have read.

Looks like we dropped a spot, grandpa. I'll send some cores to help out but it looks like they won't show up for 5 days.

Looks like we dropped a spot, grandpa. I'll send some cores to help out but it looks like they won't show up for 5 days.

I'm guessing you are talking aboute the PrimeGrid challenge. On a different note, we did lose a spot at Asteroids today.

We should gain them back in a day or 2 when the G34's complete there WU's and they do take a while to complete the G34's are around 120 to 140 hrs so they will only get 2 WU's per core completed during the challange.

Who is crunching under the name of Jeffy and what is that i5-4570 running at 21 hrs to complete 1 of these PSP WU's is amazing. :cool:

That, my friend, is me, and I have no idea why it goes that quickly That's an S part too, so only 65W! And it's on the stock cooler too. I don't get it, but I'll take it! You're number 1 in the competition by a huge margin bee tee dubs. A very large margin!

Hmm interesting my 4650L's are faster than my 4650's at the PSP WU's also so it appears the low voltage parts have a secret that needs to be discovered.

And we do have a chance at finishing in the top 3 I believe :)

By the way congrats on the DCOM :cool:

I haven't looked at the chips because I'm too busy at work right now, but is it like having AVX vs. say SSE3?

And don't forget we have badge upgrade threads. They are all linked on the first post of this thread.

Last edited:
According to intel they are both the same http://ark.intel.com/compare/64622,64606 but something is diffrent somewhere along the line, my 4650L's @ 2940 are 10%+ faster than the 4650's @ 3175, I am wondering if the 4650's may be flooding the memory or something along those lines when running the PSP WU's. The 4650's are faster at everything else I have run on them. The Primegrid PSP WU's is the first plac I have seen this behavior.

That's an interesting observation really. My 4770S with all the same components runs significantly slower for whatever reason, even though it's well below TJ Max and not all threads are being used even. And my 3770K is just about as slow or slower than the 4770S, even though it's technically faster by a good margin. All RAM is 8GB 1600mhz, and all using the same number of threads. Interesting stuff. Intel's little secret!

I just figured out what caused the DRM on about 100 hours of recorded TV and movies in WMC7 to kick in making it unwatchable... Turning off HT for primegrid performance. Different cores = different computer, lock 'em down boys. Damn DRM on legit media; it is easier to just download the DRM free copies than deal with this.

/rant

I just figured out what caused the DRM on about 100 hours of recorded TV and movies in WMC7 to kick in making it unwatchable... Turning off HT for primegrid performance. Different cores = different computer, lock 'em down boys. Damn DRM on legit media; it is easier to just download the DRM free copies than deal with this.

/rant

Wow...that is good to know. I wouldn't have ever thought that would make a difference. Most things are tied to motherboard...

It's not reflected in the vault yet, but we've gained a position in Einstein and are looking at gaining two more by the end of the month as well.

I have 2 - G34 4Ps that are going to finsh there PSP task in a couple of days and they will not be able to complete another PSP task before the end of the challange. looking things over it appears we need 65 points to move up another spot in Physcial Science and it looks like if I move these over to Pogs plus the other one that is going to finsh a day latter we should be able to do that before the end of the month.

What do you guys think. Should I do that or is there something else to think about.

http://digik-oz.nl/dcVaultStats.aspx?team=[H]ardOCP

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=pog&name=13424

Either that or a mixture of POGS/Asteroids work. We are close to losing another position at Asteroids.

Possibly CPU's at POGS and nVidia GPU's at Asteroids...

A couple positions in Majestic-12 would bump us up to 3rd in Misc.

I can switch a few GPU's over to Asteroids to try to help out.

Back