Dayz Standalone

Ripbrood

Limp Gawd
Not sure how many followers are of this but some good news who are waiting patiently on it. Some more info on the game.

Dayz Footage

Just put in a NPP, make it explode, add some NPC mercenary camps and call it STALKER <3

Well, even if they don't this will be a Day One buy for me.

I am excited about this finally getting some more improvements on the game. Waiting to buy when it comes out is all now. just in time for it to be having fun.

Looks good...really hope they focused on the bugs more than anything. With the custom maps and all DayZ as it is now is actually pretty damn good, just hate the random ass broken legs, stuff falling through floors, zombie one-hit knock outs/kills, etc, etc, etc...

Either way, it's a definite day one buy for me...can't wait for it!

I'll be picking this up day 1, been holding off buying it till the stand alone.

Day 1 pickup for me on the Day Z

All this talk about oh its going to be amazing because it is a complete re work and engine re write...

After watching that video I am disappointed. Not to mention the one and only super crappy game mechanic that absolutely needed fixing was the zombies... which that video showed nothing of...

And can they just come up with some non arma 2 maps? I mean come on you talk it up as all fresh, and it just looks like new skins and artwork.

The mechanics and physics look the same, even the "open" action on the gate looked terrible for a interface. I would like to actually see something fresh considering all the talk Rocket has done about this game.

All this talk about oh its going to be amazing because it is a complete re work and engine re write...

After watching that video I am disappointed. Not to mention the one and only super crappy game mechanic that absolutely needed fixing was the zombies... which that video showed nothing of...

And can they just come up with some non arma 2 maps? I mean come on you talk it up as all fresh, and it just looks like new skins and artwork.

The mechanics and physics look the same, even the "open" action on the gate looked terrible for a interface. I would like to actually see something fresh considering all the talk Rocket has done about this game.

calm down negative nancy. LOL @ people judging games before they have even played them, or worst, based it off of ONE VIDEO.

go play minecraft.

I thought it was kind of funny how much fuss he was making of the clothing which I didnt consider all that spectacular. Average in my opinion. Now if they were showing off some military outfits and armor then that would be cool. Regular everyday clothing? Nah..

My opinion is that what they were showing leads me to believe they are not that far into development. They have a long long way to go. Granted he did say that it was a early build. One also has to consider it is a very small team that is working on this. It wont be coming out anytime soon.

calm down negative nancy. LOL @ people judging games before they have even played them, or worst, based it off of ONE VIDEO.

go play minecraft.

I do play minecraft, funny your mention it. Graphics aren't the issue, its the over hype and bloat headed designer team that seems to be doing more talking than creating new content :p;)

I thought it was kind of funny how much fuss he was making of the clothing which I didnt consider all that spectacular. Average in my opinion. Now if they were showing off some military outfits and armor then that would be cool. Regular everyday clothing? Nah..

My opinion is that what they were showing leads me to believe they are not that far into development. They have a long long way to go. Granted he did say that it was a early build. One also has to consider it is a very small team that is working on this. It wont be coming out anytime soon.

But after all that talk last year... everyone seems to forget how much hype Rocket has put behind this.

Dayz is awesome, I enjoy it. I do not enjoy developers wagging the tail of consumers, and coming up with a lame video showing artwork lol.

Maybe it will more interesting with time. So far I would save my pennies.

not quite sure about this immense hype you're talking about. I know expectations are high because of dayZ, but you sound a tad butthurt

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

not quite sure about this immense hype you're talking about. I know expectations are high because of dayZ, but you sound a tad butthurt

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

You havent followed the developer blog, or news releases much last summer leading into the fall, I am guessing.:rolleyes:

For me all they have to do is,

1. Make Day-Z standalone to remove the headache of getting it to work with Arma 2
2. Remove most of the hackers/cheaters
3. Improve the inventory system
4. Some zombie a.i. and bug fixes

Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.

Sounds like a great plan to me. I am happy with the game as a mod thus far and just waiting to see it improve. Of course a different engine would be great but to improve with the stand alone things you mentioned would be great.

Looks great so far. I better be able to turn off that motion blur though. That shit is out of control and I hate it in my games. I can snap my head so fast to the point my neck almost breaks and I don't have motion blur.

For me all they have to do is,

1. Make Day-Z standalone to remove the headache of getting it to work with Arma 2
2. Remove most of the hackers/cheaters
3. Improve the inventory system
4. Some zombie a.i. and bug fixes

Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. But lets see if it actually happens.

Almost nine minutes of that video is about fucking hoodies... what the hell is wrong with this guy?

You know, I just have never understood Rocket's mentality... he's limiting both himself and the game, by forcing through working with an engine and design that's taking him a 100x's the work than if he started from scratch.

Why not simply take all that time and effort, and implement the same mechanics in something built from the ground-up? Especially now that he has Bohemia's backing?

The other things that's always bothered me is that he's always claimed want, and I quote: "a true survival horror" game/atmosphere, yet he's never focused on the zombies... their appearance, movement, the atmosphere of the world itself by changing the way buildings look, the environment to make it less repetitive and colored differently etc.

Over all my time playing the game, and listening to him talk, posting on the forums etc., he always seems to end up back to focusing/talking about the PvP aspect, which is not the main focus of the game, as he's stated himself. It's about survival and having to deal with other people.

If you want to just kill people, go play Battlefield. The zombies should not be an "afterthought" and just "some obstacle" on/in your way to killing the next human being. He has the talent as a coder to make an excellent game, so he should start from the ground-up, and create a truly excellent survival horror game, with the same survival mechanics, but create completely new environments (meaning completely new assets; DayZ's assets just never fit the bill) and then add in all the supposed crafting with underground bases, boarding-up houses etc he's claimed he's wanted to try to do.

At this point, it's like he's just "showing off" his coding "prowess", slogging his way through such a difficult situation, that the best he's come up with so far is showing almost nine minutes of footage of fucking hoodies, holy shit.

If he manages to do more with zombie appearance and animation, maybe more with the environment other than just some tables and chairs inside buildings, then maybe I'll get back into it when the standalone is released.

But it's not impressive in and of itself to create such a loot spawning system. It's only a "big deal" because he's doing it in an engine that's so "hard coded" that it's a challenge. But the system itself is not impressive.

Behind how many tables and under how many chairs, in how many games, such as DE:HR, were you able to find loot that spawned? How many other games? Many. It's not real "feat" when you're implementing a feature that could be easily done if you're not struggling with an engine and situation that's not so restrictive.

His talents would be better put to use starting from scratch, in which case I think he could manage something great, using the same/similar survival mechanics. He just needs a good art team behind him, and he'd make an even bigger killing than with DayZ.

I'll get back into it if they do more aesthetic work, since the other mechanics are relatively solid, just need tweaking. Otherwise, I don't know.

Something stupidly addictive about DayZ that made me dump literally countless... hundreds of hours... into the game. I'd like to get back into it, but he/they really need to do some serious artistic work. Maybe in the future he'll be offered the chance to code a "real" zombie survival horror title, which is is yet another thing we've yet to truly see done right.

It really sounds to me like you want a singleplayer survival horror game. Whether you like it or not, other people are there to try to kill you, and the combat between players NEEDS to work properly. So what if he hasn't showcased the zombies/zombie AI yet? He will, in time.

Also, do you want him to spend his time making videos, or working on the game?

It really sounds to me like you want a singleplayer survival horror game. Whether you like it or not, other people are there to try to kill you, and the combat between players NEEDS to work properly. So what if he hasn't showcased the zombies/zombie AI yet? He will, in time.

I never said nor insinuated I wanted a single player game. Don't twist my words.

I'm pointing out inconsistencies regarding his statements and the direction of the game, and the fact that the zombies should be a more prominent aspect.

As for the comment of "working on the game or making videos", give me a fucking break with that shit. Histrionics, man... give it a rest. The guy can work on the game and slap together some footage that isn't nine minutes of an apparel simulator.

There are far more important aspects of the game to show, and if he's going to take the time, which he apparently has, to make videos (so your comment is moot), then he should be showing shit that matters.

It's DayZ, a hardcore survival game. I don't think most people give that much of a shit about apparel to want or need nine minutes of looking at shirts and pants. He wasted time screwing around, having the guy "modelling" the clothes, do spins and show off his new clothes. Obviously, he has time to kill to make videos, so he should have made it count. Christ.

Oh, and you completely missed every other point I was making regarding a lot of other issues. I wasn't "bashing" DayZ. I was stating that he could make a far better game, especially given his talent with coding and mechanics, far easier, if he were to start from scratch, and that the game would be made far better were there more artistic changes made etc. I made quite a few points that were so blatantly missed.

Last edited:
For me all they have to do is...Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.
Honestly, if all they did was fix that annoying run-to-prone issue and charged me $15 for it, I'd be happy.

Oh, I can go prone without jogging ten feet forward for some reason? Take my money!

TBH it doesn't look like they have done a lot to the core ArmA 2 engine graphics/gameplay. I was kind of expecting a bit more from it.

Honestly, if all they did was fix that annoying run-to-prone issue and charged me $15 for it, I'd be happy.

Oh, I can go prone without jogging ten feet forward for some reason? Take my money!

Ha ha. Yeah, I always wondered what the hell was with that mechanic. Hopefully they've fixed it.

TBH it doesn't look like they have done a lot to the core ArmA 2 engine graphics/gameplay. I was kind of expecting a bit more from it.

No, it doesn't, and I was hoping for (though not expecting) more as well.

I actually see the points you're making and have to say I'm in agreement. While the PvP is an important aspect in the game, I never liked the fact that the zombies took a backseat to it, and weren't paid more attention in their modelling or animations. I also agree that it should be a 50/50 split between the two threats, players and zombies, and the fact that perhaps more could be done visually, especially if the game was built from the ground up.

But that leads to the comment I quoted above, which goes along with your statement, regarding visual improvement. I think the survival/damage mechanics etc. are pretty much there, so it would be excellent if they would/could do something more with the environment to give it a more horror aspect.

I've put a couple hundred hours into the game myself, and it's the one thing I wished for, was a less sterile look to the cities and the forests, and something more atmospheric.

I'll probably be getting back into DayZ with the standalone though (I stopped playing a while ago due to all the hackers, bugs etc), just to check it out and hope the improvements are enough to make it even more enjoyable.

I also have to agree that, if the guy had time to make a video showcasing clothing, that he should have instead showcased something of more importance or more impressive. I do like the addition of the island added to the same area, as well as the swamps. I just wish they would do something more with the environment, change the way trees and some buildings look, where there are etc.

I think a change to the look of the game's environment, and zombies (man, he's got to do something about the zombie models, lol; but I know he said he was working on that) could do a lot for the atmosphere and make the game even more immersive.

Almost nine minutes of that video is about fucking hoodies... what the hell is wrong with this guy?

You know, I just have never understood Rocket's mentality... he's limiting both himself and the game, by forcing through working with an engine and design that's taking him a 100x's the work than if he started from scratch.

Why not simply take all that time and effort, and implement the same mechanics in something built from the ground-up? Especially now that he has Bohemia's backing?

The other things that's always bothered me is that he's always claimed want, and I quote: "a true survival horror" game/atmosphere, yet he's never focused on the zombies... their appearance, movement, the atmosphere of the world itself by changing the way buildings look, the environment to make it less repetitive and colored differently etc.

Over all my time playing the game, and listening to him talk, posting on the forums etc., he always seems to end up back to focusing/talking about the PvP aspect, which is not the main focus of the game, as he's stated himself. It's about survival and having to deal with other people.

If you want to just kill people, go play Battlefield. The zombies should not be an "afterthought" and just "some obstacle" on/in your way to killing the next human being. He has the talent as a coder to make an excellent game, so he should start from the ground-up, and create a truly excellent survival horror game, with the same survival mechanics, but create completely new environments (meaning completely new assets; DayZ's assets just never fit the bill) and then add in all the supposed crafting with underground bases, boarding-up houses etc he's claimed he's wanted to try to do.

At this point, it's like he's just "showing off" his coding "prowess", slogging his way through such a difficult situation, that the best he's come up with so far is showing almost nine minutes of footage of fucking hoodies, holy shit.

If he manages to do more with zombie appearance and animation, maybe more with the environment other than just some tables and chairs inside buildings, then maybe I'll get back into it when the standalone is released.

But it's not impressive in and of itself to create such a loot spawning system. It's only a "big deal" because he's doing it in an engine that's so "hard coded" that it's a challenge. But the system itself is not impressive.

Behind how many tables and under how many chairs, in how many games, such as DE:HR, were you able to find loot that spawned? How many other games? Many. It's not real "feat" when you're implementing a feature that could be easily done if you're not struggling with an engine and situation that's not so restrictive.

His talents would be better put to use starting from scratch, in which case I think he could manage something great, using the same/similar survival mechanics. He just needs a good art team behind him, and he'd make an even bigger killing than with DayZ.

I'll get back into it if they do more aesthetic work, since the other mechanics are relatively solid, just need tweaking. Otherwise, I don't know.

Something stupidly addictive about DayZ that made me dump literally countless... hundreds of hours... into the game. I'd like to get back into it, but he/they really need to do some serious artistic work. Maybe in the future he'll be offered the chance to code a "real" zombie survival horror title, which is is yet another thing we've yet to truly see done right.

EXXXXXXXXXXACTLY. Perfectly stated.

You hit the nail on the head. I think people so far who have defended the video are people who either never played Dayz, or are surely people who did not follow Rocket through this process.

Everyone hated the management of WarZ and had issues with the game. But from a graphics perspective, I kind of give that team credit for biting and idea and making it a better game all around. And as much as they are hated, they do make game improvements, and to my knowledge they do not have a industry wide hacking problem on their servers.

Looks can be deceiving.

Not really.Want to know why they didnt show you the items menu? Looks almost identical to Arma II, I have seen screenies from Rockets blog, that were later removed because people said it looked just like Arma 2 :D

If you guys missed it here is a realllly quick verbatim rundown

Rocket:
I am going to take my time, start over and do a rework of the engine, maybe call it Arma 2.5 engine. Here are some screen shots of progress

Interwebs:
Wow that looks like a slight graphical improvement, but pretty much identical to everything Arma 2 like...

Rocket:
This engine is too hard to code, I am lucky to make items spawn consistently

Interwebs: I thought you were drastically changing the engine? After all that talk, "pressure" etc etc, the release of WarZ, etc etc. And now you are "taking your time" but it looks like from everything you have released, nothing changed. So why not release something official?

Rocket: Ok video time, 9 minutes about a hoodie. No Zombies, no interface, no game mechanics, no physics, no proving crawling through doors has been fixed, no actual new maps of any sort (just refreshed maps), really nothing new besides... clothing.

Which by the way, they game mechanics did not change. You still bend and move, and put the clothing on magically. You have to drop down to inspect items, etc.

You did NOT see the interface because it has not changed, ;)

Neither of us want a singleplayer game. I don't mind the pvp aspect of DayZ. But there should be a way to recognize natural born killers, and people who are generally a help to other players.

EXXXXXXXXXXACTLY. Perfectly stated.

You hit the nail on the head. I think people so far who have defended the video are people who either never played Dayz, or are surely people who did not follow Rocket through this process.

Thank you!

Man, always nice to get a response from someone who understands what the hell you're talking about and understands that you understand what the hell you're talking about, without twisting words, intentionally picking out parts of what you've said and casting it in the light of a false context etc.

Not to mention all the damn hyperbole... seriously, if you've played DayZ and you've followed what Rocket has been saying since day-one, which I have, and the guy has time to make a video, then you'd understand why I said the things I said.

Not really.Want to know why they didnt show you the items menu? Looks almost identical to Arma II, I have seen screenies from Rockets blog, that were later removed because people said it looked just like Arma 2 :D

If you guys missed it here is a realllly quick verbatim rundown

Rocket:
I am going to take my time, start over and do a rework of the engine, maybe call it Arma 2.5 engine. Here are some screen shots of progress

Interwebs:
Wow that looks like a slight graphical improvement, but pretty much identical to everything Arma 2 like...

Rocket:
This engine is too hard to code, I am lucky to make items spawn consistently

Interwebs: I thought you were drastically changing the engine? After all that talk, "pressure" etc etc, the release of WarZ, etc etc. And now you are "taking your time" but it looks like from everything you have released, nothing changed. So why not release something official?

Rocket: Ok video time, 9 minutes about a hoodie. No Zombies, no interface, no game mechanics, no physics, no proving crawling through doors has been fixed, no actual new maps of any sort (just refreshed maps), really nothing new besides... clothing.

Which by the way, they game mechanics did not change. You still bend and move, and put the clothing on magically. You have to drop down to inspect items, etc.

Thank you as well!

Again, someone who "gets it" and reasonably understands the truth of the situation.

You put that well, and that is exactly how the situation has played-out thus far. Where is nine minutes of something of actual consequence?

Neither of us want a singleplayer game. I don't mind the pvp aspect of DayZ. But there should be a way to recognize natural born killers, and people who are generally a help to other players.

To quote you in your response to me: "EXXXXXXXXXXACTLY"... you got it, man.

There needs to be more focus on the zombies as well, otherwise it's just like slapping some zombies into a deathmatch/mil-sim game and calling it "survival horror", in which case you'd be better off just playing Battlefield and calling it a day.

Last edited:
Want to know why they didnt show you the items menu? Looks almost identical to Arma II, I have seen screenies from Rockets blog, that were later removed because people said it looked just like Arma 2 :D
Just because something looks identical (in other words, is rendered identically) doesn't mean it functions identically. The renderer is a fairly small part of a game engine, sometimes encompassing no more than ~10% of the entire code base.

I don't know to what extent the changes are, but I'm not going to look at screenshots as a means of gauging those changes, either. We'll have a better idea of what's been changed (and what hasn't) when it's released and we get a chance to interact with it and get some rough measurements of different aspects. Until then, there just isn't any point in bothering.

Just because something looks identical (in other words, is rendered identically) doesn't mean it functions identically. The renderer is a fairly small part of a game engine, sometimes encompassing no more than ~10% of the entire code base.

I don't know to what extent the changes are, but I'm not going to look at screenshots as a means of gauging those changes, either. We'll have a better idea of what's been changed (and what hasn't) when it's released and we get a chance to interact with it and get some rough measurements of different aspects. Until then, there just isn't any point in bothering.

The issue with the Arma 2 interface was the bad interface DESIGN and how the GUI interacts with the player.

Have you ever introduced a new gamer to ArmaII or DayZ? They STRUGGGGGLE with the interface. If it werent for cool mods and DayZ, ArmaII would never have sold except to the core crowd, if for any other reason than the absolutely terrible design interface of the inventory and item system.

Taking that broken segment of the game, and recoding behind it makes ZERO sense, since the problem was hardly the bugs with the coding (IE a new long weapon automatically drops your current weapon permanently etc) it was the fact that you couldnt figure out how to use the interface to begin with.

SO... my point is, new interface or die. The issue was NOT the coding so much as it was the clunky interface GUI that your average person ran from.

No wonder he did not show a first person view of the inventory menu....

And here is exactly why DayZ standalone is likely going to be garbage, as is the case for increasingly more and more games. Because 99% of the consumer base takes the same attitude: "Don't question this hyped-up game before it is released! The devs say it is awesome and you can't say otherwise until you have already PAID for the game and played it yourself."

Publishers/Developers are having a more and more easier time of selling nothing but hype to masses of gamers who refuse to make an informed purchase decision and instead want to just buy/play the game out of a religious-like (which is hillarious since so many gamers are geeks and so many geeks are agnostic/atheist) blind faith in the hype, hoping that somehow their blind purchase will empower their faith to magically change time/space to make the game good right before it loads.

Hillarious...but sad for gamers like me who actually want good games and are getting less and less of them due to the super-majority of gaming consumers.

The ArmA 2 inventory interface isn't terrible for what type of game it is, which is a tactical semi-milsim. It's not really a "run & gun", it's not really even a shooter...you take your time, get your loadout, and then deploy.

Problem is, for a game like DayZ this is obviously not ideal, and it put a lot of people off. Which is understandable, but then you had a bunch of people bitching about how shitty ArmA 2 was and basically blaming ArmA 2 for DayZ being shitty. That's just idiocy...Rocket chose to use the ArmA 2 engine for this game, so it's his fault. And if he doesn't revamp it enough for the standalone it's just going to be a shitstorm all over again.

However, given that he called the DayZ standalone engine "ArmA 2.5", I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of changes in regards to movement, inventory management, etc. At least, not what people are hoping for and expecting.

The ArmA 2 inventory interface isn't terrible for what type of game it is, which is a tactical semi-milsim. It's not really a "run & gun", it's not really even a shooter...you take your time, get your loadout, and then deploy.

Problem is, for a game like DayZ this is obviously not ideal, and it put a lot of people off. Which is understandable, but then you had a bunch of people bitching about how shitty ArmA 2 was and basically blaming ArmA 2 for DayZ being shitty. That's just idiocy...Rocket chose to use the ArmA 2 engine for this game, so it's his fault. And if he doesn't revamp it enough for the standalone it's just going to be a shitstorm all over again.

However, given that he called the DayZ standalone engine "ArmA 2.5", I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of changes in regards to movement, inventory management, etc. At least, not what people are hoping for and expecting.

I was talking just in terms of dayz. I aply ARMA2 and the wasteland mod, and I dont mind the interface.

The issue with the Arma 2 interface was the bad interface DESIGN and how the GUI interacts with the player. Have you ever introduced a new gamer to ArmaII or DayZ? They STRUGGGGGLE with the interface.
Right. Interaction. Have we seen how the interactions actually work in the standalone?

You're saying the actual layout of the inventory has been shown (have to take you at your word at that one), but do we know what the functional changes are? Do we have to right-click on objects to bring up context menus? Can we drag and drop? Does the backpack have its own inventory screen now?

"Don't question this hyped-up game before it is released! The devs say it is awesome and you can't say otherwise until you have already PAID for the game and played it yourself."
That isn't at all what I'm saying. You should be questioning it, not taking Rocket at his word and not taking blind leaps of faith on the hope that things have really changed. There's no point in seeking answers to those questions in the wrong ways, though. We're only dealing with a few known fragments of technical information at this point, but we're trying to draw conclusions about things based on an absence of information.

We're only dealing with a few known fragments of technical information at this point, but we're trying to draw conclusions about things based on an absence of information.

The ONLY conclusion I am drawing is based on what has been released. I am not hypothesizing, nor has anyone else in this thread. This is based on what we have seen in the past 9 months directly from the developer of this game.

The ONLY conclusion I am drawing is based on what has been released. I am not hypothesizing, nor has anyone else in this thread. This is based on what we have seen in the past 9 months directly from the developer of this game.

QFT.

I don't see any "hypothesizing" here, just information based off what we've seen or not seen; based on what those of us who've played the game and followed Rocket's "progress" and information have seen and heard.

There is a lot of stink in this thread over stuff that no one knows about yet. Grab a beer and relax. Its an unreleased game that is still having core features implemented. It is too early to grab pitchforks.

There is a clear divide of opinions between people who have followed this closely, and those that likely haven't spent much time on the game, or followed the progress of the stand alone talk.

There is a lot of stink in this thread over stuff that no one knows about yet. Grab a beer and relax. Its an unreleased game that is still having core features implemented. It is too early to grab pitchforks.

What "stink", man? Who's "grabbing pitcforks" here?

No one is "freaking out" or "bashing" anything, just giving feedback based on facts, reasonable opinions and the rest has been suggestions. No one needs to "relax", because no one is all "up-in-arms" about anything.

It's statements like this that are the epitome of hyperbole, deliberately exaggerating and misinterpreting, and completely unnecessary.

Back