DayZ $29.99

Again, I don't see how. Consider the following:

A) A reduced-price pre-release version isn't expected to be as profitable per unit as the full-price release version. Blowing your entire wad on pre-release sales means a lot of revenue up front, but less total revenue across the product's lifespan.

B) Buggy pre-release versions tend to yield a lot of bad word of mouth, as has already been the case for DayZ. This isn't exactly a beneficial thing for any product.

C) As I already said, they're infrastructurally incapable of handling every would-be user. At least this is what they've claimed, and it seems odd that they'd have some ulterior motive for claiming that if it isn't true.

There are certainly legitimate sets of reasons why they'd be telling some people not to buy in yet. Only in the very dimmest view of the world is everything underhanded and nefarious.

I never said anything about being underhanded or nefarious, but how many times do companies put out a product for money and then tell people to not buy it? All I'm saying is, they want people to buy it. If they didn't, they wouldn't have put it up, period.

Are we acting like this is news?

The pricing model has been in existence for over a year.

The same price model as that little game a few of you may have heard of called Minecraft.

Unlike Hammerpoint, Bohemia is behind DayZ. Not some indie studio with a tainted past.

DayZ has yet to steer their users in the wrong direction. They have some work ahead of them-self for optimizing the game once zombies and loot fills the servers. But I trust them thus far.

I never said anything about being underhanded or nefarious
It's implicit in your claim. If you claim that it's "bullshit", the claim is that they're being underhanded. If you believe they're being underhanded, then you must also believe what they're doing is nefarious.

I bought in the Project Cars alpha long ago. I played it when the cars didn't have tires that actually moved. They didn't even have a steering wheel for many months. The tracks were black paths without grass or anything else. Just a black road suspended in midair by nothing. For weeks sometimes I would crash to the desktop if I thought of launching the game. Heck I found a sequence of events that caused a complete lock up of my PC the other day.

I knew what I was buying. They told us what we were getting into. They fix the bugs as we tell them about them. They improved the game using our suggestions and feedback. They hired outside pro drivers to help them to understand what we were saying doesn't feel right. They patch our games with new features at least twice a week for us to try and break, so that the finished version won't have those bugs in it.

Guess what? Project Cars is probably the game that I've the most fun with ever. Early alpha testers just got probably 5 new cars and a new track this past Friday. Sometimes we get cars with steering wheels that don't work. It's still fun to drive. Nobody complains on our forums about it. We wait patiently for the working steering wheel update. Sometimes the car models don't have distance models, so if you're chasing someone they might just disappear. No complaints after we figured out it wasn't a bug.

Alpha testing is for people that don't mind being locked out of their game. You don't complain that you can't play. What you're supposed to do is try to help the developer figure out why you can't play with as much information as possible. If you're not interested in testing and bug finding, then stay away from the Alpha. I can't stress enough that Alpha is for helping the developers; not for you to become the best DayZ player of all time. If you want to play DayZ, wait until the game state is changed to release client to buy into it.

It's implicit in your claim. If you claim that it's "bullshit", the claim is that they're being underhanded. If you believe they're being underhanded, then you must also believe what they're doing is nefarious.

Not at all. I just don't think companies/individuals should be saying that shit. It just comes off as them thinking we're dumb enough to not figure out the obvious.

So is it still KoS in Standalone?
I've ran into both. End game is maybe 1-2hrs since you can not build a base and store loot. So once geared up, there really is nothing more to do but kill. I suppose you could try restraining people in cuffs and force them to fight zombies as you loot their belongings.

KOS is will happen maybe 60% of the time. Every now and then you come across a group or solo guy who isn't up for a fight. It's a matter of how much you trust them. I KOS because I want to keep my gear.

;) Please.. I've been shot to death at the beach so many times I don't even bother getting frustrated at it anymore. At least now with this game I can tear my clothes off and run at people screaming and actually warrant the gunshot(s).

Only reason I asked is b/c the game's purty much a death match, I think I've ran into a couple people that have asked if I was friendly or not; the rest shoot on sight (armed/unarmed).

I hear ya man, I've had my fair share of Elektro camper deaths myself :p

Are they still actively updating the mod version or has development switched to stand alone?

Are they still actively updating the mod version or has development switched to stand alone?

From my understanding, they really never supported the Mod after they announced the stand alone. Regardless, most, if not all, of the more important contributions came from the community and their respective teams.

So I wouldn't assume DayZ Mod's population will decrease drastically until the current Stand Alone has more features/playability

From my understanding, they really never supported the Mod after they announced the stand alone. Regardless, most, if not all, of the more important contributions came from the community and their respective teams.

So I wouldn't assume DayZ Mod's population will decrease drastically until the current Stand Alone has more features/playability

I don't play it anymore. This information is false though. There has been a team that has been in place updating the mod since SA went into development.

So I played last night a lot of fun, I have to say that in many ways the SA Alpha is already a HUGE plus over the mod. Inventory system, looks, graphics, HUD (or lack there of), etc.

So I Googled how to turn off the camera shake and the mouse acceleration and log in to test it out...only to find myself spawned right next to a zombie...good news, no more camera shake and mouse acceleration; bad news, lessons learned, sharp pointy things no where near as effective as your fists :p

So I played last night a lot of fun, I have to say that in many ways the SA Alpha is already a HUGE plus over the mod. Inventory system, looks, graphics, HUD (or lack there of), etc.

So I Googled how to turn off the camera shake and the mouse acceleration and log in to test it out...only to find myself spawned right next to a zombie...good news, no more camera shake and mouse acceleration; bad news, lessons learned, sharp pointy things no where near as effective as your fists :p

is camera shake same as head bob?

No, its like a vibration when you turn, only way to disable it is to disable post processing. It was making me sick.

Tried to play the game tonight... couldn't find any supplies, food, or weapons. Every server I went to was like that.

Its just luck, sometimes I go a few nights without supplies and then I get lucky. I do think they upped the loot the last few patches, I'm finding piles of stuff rather then just 1 or 2 items in a room now.

I lost my sense of humor with Day Z yesterday..

Spent two days with a friend gathering stuff, during an encounter he was shot and killed. I managed to kill the aggressor. I stayed with his body, picked up everything I could from it, but it disappeared after ~10 mins (for all the talk of the game's realism, that was pretty ridiculous). Decided then to run to meet my friend half way to the beaches now that there was no reason for him to come all the way back to get his stuff.

After over two hours trying to get to him, I logged off near the city where he was to get some food. I came back an hour later, and all my gear was gone. Absolutely all of it - I had a default character but in the same location where I logged off. I know you shouldn't get too attached, I know this is still an alpha, but losing all that shit because of a random bug makes me insane. I don't think the game is polished enough to play, not for me to invest that much time (which as a married adult, two days of a weekend really means something to get where I was). The roguelike formula works if you lose your character to game-related consequences...not bugs.

Spent two days with a friend gathering stuff, during an encounter he was shot and killed. I managed to kill the aggressor. I stayed with his body, picked up everything I could from it, but it disappeared after ~10 mins (for all the talk of the game's realism, that was pretty ridiculous). Decided then to run to meet my friend half way to the beaches now that there was no reason for him to come all the way back to get his stuff.

After over two hours trying to get to him, I logged off near the city where he was to get some food. I came back an hour later, and all my gear was gone. Absolutely all of it - I had a default character but in the same location where I logged off. I know you shouldn't get too attached, I know this is still an alpha, but losing all that shit because of a random bug makes me insane. I don't think the game is polished enough to play, not for me to invest that much time (which as a married adult, two days of a weekend really means something to get where I was). The roguelike formula works if you lose your character to game-related consequences...not bugs.

I'm not even playing this game, but I am interested. I have not purchased this game purely because I would not want to be in your situation. See warning from dev's below.

Be aware that our Early Access offer is a representation of our core pillars, and the framework we have created around them. It is a work in progress and therefore contains a variety of bugs. We strongly advise you not to buy and play the game at this stage unless you clearly understand what Early Access means and are interested in participating in the ongoing development cycle.

I'm kind of sick of this early access trend lately. Many games have been doing it, and it does a disservice to the gaming community as a whole. Release the game when it's done.

I'm not even playing this game, but I am interested. I have not purchased this game purely because I would not want to be in your situation. See warning from dev's below.

Absolutely, as I say it is alpha and I did agree to all the various disclaimers. Perhaps this is a reminder that I shouldn't be playing something that is this early in development. It could be something excellent, I just feel like content/functionality wise it has ages to go before it is 'complete' (whatever that means).

I haven't had my character get wiped luckily. But, I've heard that if you do show up with a default character, do not play. Supposedly, if you relog a few times (maybe swap servers?) eventually you may get your stuff back, but if you play on you'll lose everything for sure.

The biggest problem with the game right now is there isn't enough to do. I can spend an hour gearing up, get a m4/mozin full military gear, food, water, etc.. and at that point the only thing left is to go hunt other players.

I think anyone who plays an early access game and expects to make some sort of progress day in and day out, should not be playing early access. These types of games should be for those who want an active hand in bug reporting and such, not strictly for the enjoyment of playing the game.

Especially coming from the bug riddled DayZ mod, these types of bugs should be expected and excepted (Early Access and all)

Pricing scheme aside, my experience so far is as follows

"I feel like having a drink"
NO YOU DON'T YOU JUST DRANK AN ENTIRE CANTEEN OF WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm thirsty"
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU JUST HAD A SODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I feel thirsty"
You literally JUST spawned, how could you be thirsty already.

My first life I starved to death. My character started losing blood around the 30 minutes of alive mark. I had a bad spawn and there was nothing in the tiny town that it spawned me in. The next two lives I spawned near Electro and my first of those 2 I made it to the fire station with some good stuff but was shot coming down the stairs. That's fine, its Dayz. My second of those 2 lives ended when I activated a ladder but my character decided to vault it and I fell from the top of the hospital to my death. Ugh...dayz

My most recent spawn was in Navy Sobor...except I didn't know it was Navy because I could still hear the ocean and... spawning that far inland?? No way. I ran this huge circle until I found Zub and got my bearings. Also...the military tents in Stary are gone. I hadn't read anything on the map redo so this was news to me. I do however now have like 25 cans of food in my bag. And an ammo can!! Best thing in the game lol. I like the container system but IMO Arma3 handles it better. Items in Arma3 have a set volume and bags have an internal volume not a quantity of slots. IMO a syringe shouldn't be as big in a bag as a can of chili. A bayonet shouldn't be as big as a water bottle etc. Inventory tetris is lame.

I haven't figured a few things out. Can I attach a headlamp to my helmet? Can I use the bayonet on my rifle as a melee? A lot of the car doors are openable but I haven't seen any components that would lead me to believe I can fix one. No tires, no engine components...I know a lot of the features aren't in currently so I'm just assuming those are a few that aren't in yet. I do like it but not being able to pick up something when you're staring right at it because it's not in the games definition of vicinity sucks.

I haven't come across one single friendly player. Maybe because there are so few zombies no one has any incentive to be friendly. I'm getting my mic today so maybe if I come across some folks I'll communicate. No one seems to chat at all. I know side chat isn't realistic... but still :(

ETA I think you're right Pringle

They probably shouldn't have released it early. Even though it's "Alpha" stage, people are already coming to conclusions about the game quality.

Considering they've already grossed over $24M, I'd argue it was a reasonable-enough thing to launch when they did. Minecraft certainly turned into one of the biggest intellectual properties in gaming history with a pretty damn shaky start.

They probably shouldn't have released it early. Even though it's "Alpha" stage, people are already coming to conclusions about the game quality.

The real problem is companies releasing alpha games for full price, or close to it. It's a lot easier to swallow 15 bucks or less if the alpha sucks, but $30+ is a bit tough.

The real problem is companies releasing alpha games for full price, or close to it. It's a lot easier to swallow 15 bucks or less if the alpha sucks, but $30+ is a bit tough.

I dunno, if they're planning on releasing the game for $60, I'd consider it slightly more acceptable to charge $30. But I agree with the general arguement that most people shouldn't be paying for "Early Access"

here's a nice graphic for food/water system in dayz, pretty helpful for the noobie

I dunno, if they're planning on releasing the game for $60, I'd consider it slightly more acceptable to charge $30. But I agree with the general arguement that most people shouldn't be paying for "Early Access"

I honestly can't see them charging $60 for DayZ Standalone. I guess some people would still pay it, but you're essentially paying for an updated version of a free mod for a game that has been $5 or less in the past.

$30 for the FINAL price seems fair.

Absolutely, I'd agree with the $30 final price point. But has that been confirmed?

No, though I know with the ArmA 3 alpha they made it clear that the game was discounted from the get-go, and that the final price would be $50 or $60 or whatever it is.

Yes, but ARMA III is a full game with hundreds (and counting) of mods and single player / co-op style missions. Day Z is Day Z. Yes, there will most likely be mod support, but the mods coming out for it will be Day Z mods where as ARMA III has so many other game types. I don't think they are comparable.

I agree that $30 should be final price. I haven't bought the game yet but I do plan on it once more stuff is released. if they decide to up the price then I'm not going to purchase it until it gets back down to $30. I'm going to be cheap on this one because I can play Day Z (with more features) for free right now because I already own Arma II and Arma III. I just can't see them increasing the price. I really think it would be a bad move. People will buy it but I just don't see it being worth that much.

I know they're not comparable, all I'm saying is that with ArmA 3 BIS made it clear it was a discounted price. With DayZ there has been no talk of that, so maybe the final price will be $30 and not anything higher.

Back