Days Gone

My advice for this game is to just focus on the story missions. The side missions are fairly lame, and you'll get bored fast. It's the weakest aspect to the game, and they would have been better off just making this game a linear narrative experience IMO.
That can be said about pretty much all open world games. The side quest are normally not worth your time and just turn a fun game into a grind.

That can be said about pretty much all open world games. The side quest are normally not worth your time and just turn a fun game into a grind.
Not totally true. There are many games where the side quests are on-par with the main quest line games. This game's side quests are just filler garbage added after the fact. That's what makes the difference between a good open world game, and a bad one.

Not just that, the reality is FO/TES games you play pretty much for the wealth of side quests, not the main quest lines.

Yeah, I still remember entering a random building in one of the Fallout games and it having really cool horror atmosphere. It was pretty big too.

I don't know which ever came first but I'm getting an Elex feel from this game. Kind of open world with some exploration and finding stuff. You can stumble on "quests" but there is a path you will ultimately take. Edit to add: Actually it's almost the same game with a new skin.

Last edited:
I don't know which ever came first but I'm getting an Elex feel from this game. Kind of open world with some exploration and finding stuff. You can stumble on "quests" but there is a path you will ultimately take. Edit to add: Actually it's almost the same game with a new skin.

Kinda grabbed my attention with that comparison as I loved Elex

Heck of a good game I'm finally getting around to playing this and modding it pretty extensively including a first person mod that's not bad at all. The setting is outstanding as is the voice acting and character modeling. It's not bad as a shooter with some sort of far cry style light resource and crafting. But it's mainly the setting and the characters that are making it for me so far about 6 hours in. Slow mo head shots to the zombies and In 1st person mode still entertaining.

Started it on normal but that was way too easy even when starting out with crap gear so now playing it on hard 2 which is a better experience.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well it's running At 4K with pretty high settings on my old machine.

The game is really cheap now and very much worth it for anyone who hasn't played it.

Have finished Uncharted 4 and am now 3 hours into this. Seems pretty cool, like a post apocalyptic GTA with survival and crafting elements.

Graphics still look great and its runs smoothly on my super obsolete hardware.

I enjoyed it for the first three quarters But by the end I was so tired of the game play loop that I couldn't finish the game

But it is a good one It's just too long

I enjoyed it for the first three quarters But by the end I was so tired of the game play loop that I couldn't finish the game

But it is a good one It's just too long

That was my experience, too. I did end up winning the game, but it gets pretty repetitious. By the time you reach the 3rd camp things are very formulaic. It kinda sucks because the encounters at the very end of the game are great. If it was a little shorter, more people might actually get to see 'em.

I also think I made a mistake by doing a bunch of side missions so by the time I got to the final camp I was well sick of every gameplay loop the game had to offer.

I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would but it does get a bit repetitive and I lost all remaining interest when I got to the part where you have to start taking out the hordes.

I enjoyed the setting and the core gameplay was enjoyable(especially the stealth) even if it did get a bit repetitive. The motorcycle was fun to ride on all the trails and had useful upgrades, weapon handling was decent enough and there was a wide variety even if I did mainly stick to the crossbow, and the crafting system decent as well though it felt like I spent a little too much time scrounging for materials.

I don't really care for zombie stuff or 1000 vs 1 type games but I knew what I was getting into there so I'm going to fault the game for my own preferences. Other than the repetitiveness my only real complaint is the unlikable characters. There were some that were okay but all of the leaders and a good portion of the other main characters were just awful people, I get what they were going for but I didn't like it.

Days Gone sounds like a solid game but I can't imagine it being better than Dying Light as far as best overall single player zombie game

Days Gone sounds like a solid game but I can't imagine it being better than Dying Light as far as best overall single player zombie game
Dying light is more fun and has better replay value IMHO. I liked Days Gone, but like others have said, it gets boring real quick and starts dragging ass, unless you just do the main missions. I put 84hrs into it and I seriously doubt that I will ever replay it, and I usually replay EVERYTHING.

Dying light is more fun and has better replay value IMHO. I liked Days Gone, but like others have said, it gets boring real quick and starts dragging ass, unless you just do the main missions. I put 84hrs into it and I seriously doubt that I will ever replay it, and I usually replay EVERYTHING.

I only recently played Dying Light and The Following DLC for the first time (about 3 weeks ago) and even though the gameplay loop is pretty much the same throughout the game, I never felt bored...even after 100 hours killing zombies never got old...the amount of unique weapons, upgrades, zombie physics, kill animations, variety of zombie killing moves, stealth etc kept the game fresh

I only recently played Dying Light and The Following DLC for the first time (about 3 weeks ago) and even though the gameplay loop is pretty much the same throughout the game, I never felt bored...even after 100 hours killing zombies never got old...the amount of unique weapons, upgrades, zombie physics, kill animations, variety of zombie killing moves, stealth etc kept the game fresh
Yeah I've played through Dying Light at least 4-5 times, only just recently playing The Following for the first time and loved every damn minute of it.

They're different. Days Gone is a story driven game, and actually fairly good. Dying Light was a turd, boring and contradictory game design as if there was zero gameplay direction without much of a story. And lots of technical issues. Did I mention technical issues? Calling Dying Light a turd is an insult to poop everywhere to be honest.

They're different. Days Gone is a story driven game, and actually fairly good. Dying Light was a turd, boring and contradictory game design as if there was zero gameplay direction without much of a story. And lots of technical issues. Did I mention technical issues? Calling Dying Light a turd is an insult to poop everywhere to be honest.

maybe at launch there were major issues but have you tried playing it recently?...zero issues...Dying Light shines with its gameplay and combat and is not really a story driven game...so yes maybe Days Gone has the better story but I don't think DL was intended to be that

DL has one of the most solid gameplay loops of any game put out in recent memory. What is contradictory about it? And I thought the story was fantastic.

DL has one of the most solid gameplay loops of any game put out in recent memory. What is contradictory about it? And I thought the story was fantastic.

It is a shit game, in every way possible. DL2 is better but still shit grade. Bad controls and contradictory gameplay. It feels like 3-4 different teams cobbles something together and couldn't decide if they wanted it to be a stealth or action game. DL2 suffers from this as well, with low functioning controls and a high failure rate.

That's crazy, dl1 was awesome I thought. I'll eventually play through again sometime. Days gone I've tried to play 2 different times and lost interest both times, complete waste of money for me.

I'm definitely Team Days Gone. I loved the gameplay, story and incredibly realistic Oregon environments. However, all the parkour crap in Dying Light completely ruined the game for me.

Just finished it, took me 47.8 hours without completing all of the unimportant side missions. Although not without its imperfections, I had a good time and would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys open world games.

I give it a solid 85% with the following pros/cons:

Pros
- beautiful open world with impressive weather and particle effects
- runs exceptionally well on old hardware, with the only hiccup being occasional NPC pop in
- dynamic wild life and enemies dotted across the landscape suit the post apocalyptic setting
- lots of options to deal with given situations (stealth/melee/guns/traps), as well as crafting/upgrade mechanics
- bike maintenance/fuel/upgrades is a novel mechanic which makes the game more realistic (although some may find this annoying after a while)
- lots of side missions for completionists

Cons
- elements of the the UI could be better
- some annoying characters which you want to bitch slap at times
- some tedious and grating dialogue
- voice acting could be better
- plot meanders and seems unnecessarily padded
- too many fetch missions
- the way missions from different camps became available did not feel very organic or natural
- it becomes easy to brute force through the missions once you are fully upgraded and have the .50 BFG (especially with a silencer attached)

Last edited:
Wish I would have waited for the GoG version, but I bought it on sale somewhere for the steam version a while ago. I just won't pick it up again because I didn't really like it. IDK exactly why though there were a lot of check boxes it ticked that I would have assumed I would like. Still, something about the game just didn't draw me in and I never really wanted to back after I stopped playing it. I am happy to see it on GoG, but I have to say I am not happy it takes so dam long for them to show up there. If they had announced it would come to GoG later, I would have just waited.

It is a shit game, in every way possible. DL2 is better but still shit grade. Bad controls and contradictory gameplay. It feels like 3-4 different teams cobbles something together and couldn't decide if they wanted it to be a stealth or action game. DL2 suffers from this as well, with low functioning controls and a high failure rate.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are in the very small minority that feel that way.

Days Gone = Masterpiece (minus Deacon talking to himself all the time)
Dying Light = Ubisoft style game

I mean Dying Light is cool for you, if you like it that's fantastic. Days Gone is an acquired taste.

Days Gone = Masterpiece (minus Deacon talking to himself all the time)
Dying Light = Ubisoft style game

I mean Dying Light is cool for you, if you like it that's fantastic. Days Gone is an acquired taste.

Days Gone is a story driven game, with open world elements. Though it is much more guided than most open world games. There are a few parts where you end up doing some not so great side quests but it still makes up less time than most open world games. It starts out story driven, then kind of refocuses to side quests. But after a few hours it grounds itself back into the story for the rest of the game. There are still side quests but you spend more time in the story overall. The type of open world gameplay this emulates is similar to that of RDR2.

I really disliked the mandatory parkour in DL, so much so that I eventually just quit playing and gave up on the game. That being said, I'm interested in DL2 but am wondering if there's as much mandatory parkour in it?

I really disliked the mandatory parkour in DL, so much so that I eventually just quit playing and gave up on the game. That being said, I'm interested in DL2 but am wondering if there's as much mandatory parkour in it?

Parkour plays a bigger role in DL2 but it can be enjoyable, and there are challenges. But you climb up really tall skyscrapers at times. Sometimes it can be annoying. They changed how movement works in a recent update so I am not sure how it plays now.

Parkour plays a bigger role in DL2 but it can be enjoyable, and there are challenges. But you climb up really tall skyscrapers at times. Sometimes it can be annoying. They changed how movement works in a recent update so I am not sure how it plays now.
Thanks, sounds like a hard pass for me!

Back