Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

It used to be that at the start people would risk working together but weeks and weeks of players stabbing each other in the back has overall forced the community to just assume hostility from other players and attack on sight.

Yeah, the real problem is that death in this mod, while it does have a penalty, isn't really a big enough deterrent to make it as "realistic" as it could be. I think if this were real life, people would be more apt to band together against the zombie threat rather than just shoot each other to try and be the "last man standing", so to speak.

I'm not sure how they would really fix this, though, other than imposing some sort of time penalty for getting killed (say, 24 real-time hours before you can start a new character?). The only other way I could see is just making it near impossible to survive alone, whether it be random zombie hoards, less resources spawn near you if you're alone, etc. Even then people would bitch about it so I think it's doomed to be a PvP deathmatch where no one trusts anyone else other than RL friends.

I don't know what you mean by seeing the dayz mod running on the right. I see a menu on the left, click multiplayer, and it gives you a warning about gameplay changing. Skip it, go to the server browser, join, and then click on on the mission.

I'm at work so I can't post a screen shot. The main menu screen gives you the menu for single player, multiplayer options and quit and on the right hand side it shows the version at the bottom it has @DayZ

Frankly I like this. I wouldn't trust anyone I didn't know either.

But it's not about "unsure but mutual trust" at this point. It's "shoot anyone you see in the head before they see you because they'll just shoot you". There's no semblance of attempting to trust anymore.

If this were real life, and the same type of scenario came across where it was after the apocalypse and everyone was scavenging and killing to survive, would you trust a gun wielding stranger?

So where is the best place to find vehicles in this game? I am mostly looking for the dirt bike.

" They say they are friendly then kill me anyways. "

dude, you must be new. I'll do this the gentle way:

its-a-trap.jpg

If this were real life, and the same type of scenario came across where it was after the apocalypse and everyone was scavenging and killing to survive, would you trust a gun wielding stranger?

I HIGHLY doubt everyone would just shoot each other on sight. Again, in real life, there is a penalty to death. That is, not being alive anymore, ever.

You also have a lot of other factors to consider, such as that many people mentally/emotionally wouldn't be able to kill someone, generally you would be able to tell if people had things worth stealing, you could follow them and steal their stuff when they slept, etc. There's no reason to just go around shooting everyone.

The root problem is that people are trying to justify this as being a "realistic" situation but the gameplay mechanics of it prevent it from being so. It's not a huge loss when you can just run around, shoot everyone, and get shot and then just start over again.

But it's not about "unsure but mutual trust" at this point. It's "shoot anyone you see in the head before they see you because they'll just shoot you". There's no semblance of attempting to trust anymore.

I HIGHLY doubt everyone would just shoot each other on sight. Again, in real life, there is a penalty to death. That is, not being alive anymore, ever.

You also have a lot of other factors to consider, such as that many people mentally/emotionally wouldn't be able to kill someone, generally you would be able to tell if people had things worth stealing, you could follow them and steal their stuff when they slept, etc. There's no reason to just go around shooting everyone.

The root problem is that people are trying to justify this as being a "realistic" situation but the gameplay mechanics of it prevent it from being so. It's not a huge loss when you can just run around, shoot everyone, and get shot and then just start over again.

wtf are you talking about. of course its realistic. and believe me if there was a zombie apocalypse; I would definitely shoot you in the face on sight and take your shit.

and starting over is starting over as a new person. when you die you're dead. that is it. your shit is gone unless your reincarnated self comes back and loots your old body.

its about as realistic as you can get. I suppose you'd rather you just die and you can never play again..

wtf are you talking about. of course its realistic. and believe me if there was a zombie apocalypse; I would definitely shoot you in the face on sight and take your shit.

and starting over is starting over as a new person. when you die you're dead. that is it. your shit is gone unless your reincarnated self comes back and loots your old body.

its about as realistic as you can get. I suppose you'd rather you just die and you can never play again..

Would you shoot everyone "in the face" if you couldn't create a new character? because that is what he is saying, you are still playing the game with no real consequence, hence it is unrealistic for a SURVIVAL game.

If you cant see the consequence in going around killing people for no reason if everything goes to crap, you are royally screwed when you run into a group of people who know/seen what you do.

I shoot on site if I have the advantage, and there is relatively low risk. I need supplies, you have supplies. This isn't a real world enviroment where you can actually create farms and such. You get supplies however and wherever you can.

I'd like CCP to make this game as an MMO. Holy crap could you imagine player made towns, governments, and currencies. Scary and exciting all at once.

Would you shoot everyone "in the face" if you couldn't create a new character? because that is what he is saying, you are still playing the game with no real consequence, hence it is unrealistic for a SURVIVAL game.

If you cant see the consequence in going around killing people for no reason if everything goes to crap, you are royally screwed when you run into a group of people who know/seen what you do.

most interactions between survivors is realistically going to end in death. I think that is realistic thats all im saying. The game is about survival and its pretty hard to just run around and kill people you make it sound like thats whats happening. most of the time you are scavenging and trying to remain unseen.. im not running around guns ablazin you cant play like that or you will die constantly.

I shoot on site if I have the advantage, and there is relatively low risk. I need supplies, you have supplies. This isn't a real world enviroment where you can actually create farms and such. You get supplies however and wherever you can.

I'd like CCP to make this game as an MMO. Holy crap could you imagine player made towns, governments, and currencies. Scary and exciting all at once.

Extremely cool. You'd have to include the same level of character pimping as you do with the ships in Eve though. There's a difference wading into battle in a Rifter compared to a Bhaalgorn. :cool:

I'd shoot the red-necks/hicks on sight, no matter what. ... :cool:

Also anyone that says "yee-haw".

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. dremic missed the point entirely.

Maybe you red neck haters have gun/military trainging I don't know about, but if you don't i'm siding with the red necks. They hunt, play with guns, farm and all from a young age.

Maybe you red neck haters have gun/military trainging I don't know about, but if you don't i'm siding with the red necks. They hunt, play with guns, farm and all from a young age.

mans got a point!

" They say they are friendly then kill me anyways. "

dude, you must be new. I'll do this the gentle way:

its-a-trap.jpg

This

I had some decent weapons and went to Cherno to have fun. Simply saying "any friendlies in Cherno?" and thus giving away my position via side channel chat drew in people almost immediately. I just posted up with my sniper rifle and killed them.

I like what someone else mentioned. In a post apocalypse, resource-scarce world, would you trust other people with guns?

I think also think that the only real way to get people to work together is to make it more worth their while than it is currently. Right now you can use epi pens and blood on your buddies, that's about the only advantage. If you made it so that the zombies were much harder and maybe added other co-op advantages, then I think we'd see more realistic teamwork. I'd rather have this added than adding artificial constraints on PvP that would make it less realistic overall.

This

I had some decent weapons and went to Cherno to have fun. Simply saying "any friendlies in Cherno?" and thus giving away my position via side channel chat drew in people almost immediately. I just posted up with my sniper rifle and killed them.

I like what someone else mentioned. In a post apocalypse, resource-scarce world, would you trust other people with guns?

I think also think that the only real way to get people to work together is to make it more worth their while than it is currently. Right now you can use epi pens and blood on your buddies, that's about the only advantage. If you made it so that the zombies were much harder and maybe added other co-op advantages, then I think we'd see more realistic teamwork. I'd rather have this added than adding artificial constraints on PvP that would make it less realistic overall.

i agree

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at in my earlier post(s) and I agree.

ajubloom, guys when you wanna play message me on steam. I wanna get involved with people that enjoy teamwork!

ajubloom, guys when you wanna play message me on steam. I wanna get involved with people that enjoy teamwork!

Added you.

Does anyone play on a server that has a Vent or TS server?

Added you.

Does anyone play on a server that has a Vent or TS server?

I mentioned earlier everyone who'd like to is free to use my mumble server. We can always create your own channels if you'd like to invite friends as well. Fire me a PM if anyone is interested in the server details.

Finally got around to buying Combined Ops this morning, downloading now. I'd love to group up with some fellow [H] members I'm just not familiar with the game yet. Let me know if there is a regular time you guys usually game and I'll join.

Apparently it's not even remotely safe to play at night right now. People who respawn or spawn in late still see everything as daylight even though the server time is pitch black. We got ambushed by one of them... it was not cool. Luckily there were more of us and we got all our stuff back.

Apparently it's not even remotely safe to play at night right now. People who respawn or spawn in late still see everything as daylight even though the server time is pitch black. We got ambushed by one of them... it was not cool. Luckily there were more of us and we got all our stuff back.

NVGs are essential in nighttime IMO.

NVGs are essential in nighttime IMO.

NVGs are not equal to someone who is seeing in broad daylight what appears as total night time to everyone else. Some of us had NVGs, which is why we even had a chance to get our stuff back.

Arma bug. <shrug>

It also might be that the server admin changed the timezone and only new spawns are given the new data.

Arma bug. <shrug>

It also might be that the server admin changed the timezone and only new spawns are given the new data.

I'm fairly sure it's a bug. I was with 3 friends, and when we all brought up our watches we all had different times showing. It's getting reported on the forums a lot, I just thought I'd offer the FYI since I know some of us prefer the dark.

I personally enjoy beta bugs. They add a ton of fun temporarily to games. I had the most fun in Counter-Strike when it was in beta and had like 2 maps. Throwing grenades into the enemy teams spawn before the round restarted was classic.

its not just dayz. I play wasteland(much better arma2 mod IMHO, and it has recently gotten the timezone bug aswell. Some of us playing at night, others in daylight, all on same server).

its not just dayz. I play wasteland(much better arma2 mod IMHO, and it has recently gotten the timezone bug aswell. Some of us playing at night, others in daylight, all on same server).

Wasteland has multiplayer? Isn't it from 1988? >_>

*Edit* I think I read that too fast. I thought you were saying it's better than the arma 2 mod, not that it is another mod. I'll have to check it out.

Last edited:
I'm north of the NW airfield with some buddies right now. Anyone in the area?

Back