Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

Laffles

Gawd
I've been playing this since friday, at night, and for hours. And let me say I've had the most memorable game experiences I've had in a long time. It is so intense, and it's not even the zombies that put you on edge, it's other players, and whether or not to trust each other... And also, the gaining the trust of others with cool shit, and shooting them in the back of the head when they're not looking XD

When the moon is behind clouds, it is literally pitch black, as it would be, and when you have such vast citys full of bandits ready to shoot you in the face and steal your shit, shit you worked fucking HARD to get, it gets super intense. You find yourself walking around at a snails pace, Ironsights up. Because you don't want anyone stealing your beans lol.. And as you're not boxed in and the map is about as big as anything you've ever seen (15 miles long ffs) it's all about dem tactics and flanking. In my first game I had a shootout with 3 guys that lasted like 40 minutes..

I've recorded loads, only thrown a couple of vids together so far, this one (the guy on the roof had a rifle and a few of his mates were around, it's a bit slow paced, but gets much better further in, make sure to fullscreen/1080p it

http://youtu.be/MlKr0BkrPc8

A 17 second vid showing Trust, in DayZ :p

http://youtu.be/L9BKSVsFfpw

I played it a bit. Great concept in general but the Arma 2 engine quirks sometimes really get in the way. If it were easier to set up a private server, I'd be all over this with friends. The built-in griefing of bandits ruins it for me though.

I've read about this and it piqued my interest for sure, however it does seem very much like it would become heavily territorial with gangs of players holding up and basically just camping all the best spots and common resource spawn areas.

I'm not sure I'm ready to buy Arma II just to get this mod either, maybe if it goes on offer for just a few quid on steam some time down the line.

^ I bought the game just for the mod, and in my past 5 hours of playing, the purchase is already justified. I've had such awesome fun ant the atmosphere is incredible...

another gameplay from today, watch in 1080p. was looting a town, and this happened. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOJdqkSq_g

^ I bought the game just for the mod, and in my past 5 hours of playing, the purchase is already justified. I've had such awesome fun ant the atmosphere is incredible...

another gameplay from today, watch in 1080p. was looting a town, and this happened. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOJdqkSq_g

lol, i can tell you were scared shitless.

Are the controls as complex for this mod as they are in Arma 2?

Few things I don't like about the mod so far.

1) Real-time day/night cycle? Really? EVERY server I've been on it's been so fucking dark that even turning gamma and brightness to max does nothing. Sure, there are flares, but then you're just advertising yourself as a snack.

2) Weapons and ammo seem to be incredibly rare, and the only place I've ever seen them are in large cities where there are about 50+ zombies crawling up your ass.

3) The animations and inherent de-sync/lag in the ArmA 2 engine make it incredibly difficult to kill zombies sometimes, so you pretty much end up taking several hits and wasting ammo before you can kill them.

4) No melee weapons? (none that I've ever seen anyway)

5) I hate the proprietary server bullshit (Life servers were the same way), where you can't run your own server because they have to be "authorized" or you have to have some special files or shit. I'd love to run this with a few friends rather than 40+ assholes running around trying to gank me.

Other than that, very promising. It's still alpha so hopefully it will improve greatly.

Disclaimer: I am a pretty avid ArmA 2 / OA player (have been in the series since original OFP really) and I do like to see mods come out that bring more players into the game. However, it also tends to drag a lot of noobs into the game when the game itself is really not that noob-friendly. Also, it's a bit sketchy that it seems Steam and Amazon have raised prices on ArmA 2 since this came out. I know, demand increase, yadda yadda but it's still fairly lame.

I too have been watching this game for the past few days. I'm probably too much of a chicken to actually play it, but watching is good enough for me. I really hope this mod takes off as the few videos I've seen (including Laffles!) look like there are some great stories to be told and the possibilities look boundless. I can't wait to see the player base band together in gangs or something as it progresses.

1) Real-time day/night cycle? Really? EVERY server I've been on it's been so fucking dark that even turning gamma and brightness to max does nothing. Sure, there are flares, but then you're just advertising yourself as a snack.

When there are loads of zombies around.. Yes, but in PVP the night is totally necessary and totally adds to the atmosphere. here for example: http://youtu.be/MlKr0BkrPc8

like 15 mins before I hit record, there was a group of guys, like 10 of them, all talking amongst themselves, and they all walked right past me, because it was so dark they couldn't see me lol, just a crazy moment that couldn't of happened if people would all just turn their gamma up and be at an unfair advantage..

2) Weapons and ammo seem to be incredibly rare, and the only place I've ever seen them are in large cities where there are about 50+ zombies crawling up your ass.

This is what makes the game so intense and puts you on edge though... when you find some awesome loot/weapons you treasure them. As you would if it were a real life situation...if guns were super easy to find the whole feel of the game would go down the drain imo...

3) The animations and inherent de-sync/lag in the ArmA 2 engine make it incredibly difficult to kill zombies sometimes, so you pretty much end up taking several hits and wasting ammo before you can kill them.

I agree, but this is early alpha..

4) No melee weapons? (none that I've ever seen anyway)
Same as above :), though hardly a gamebreaker.

@ fochkoph, thanks man.. But dude you really should try it, you won't regret it!

When there are loads of zombies around.. Yes, but in PVP the night is totally necessary and totally adds to the atmosphere. here for example: http://youtu.be/MlKr0BkrPc8

like 15 mins before I hit record, there was a group of guys, like 10 of them, all talking amongst themselves, and they all walked right past me, because it was so dark they couldn't see me lol, just a crazy moment that couldn't of happened if people would all just turn their gamma up and be at an unfair advantage..

Fair enough, but I guess to me being in complete blackness is unappealing. Even with a flare you can barely see anything. I have to crank my brightness/gamma just to make the game playable even WITH flares.

This is what makes the game so intense and puts you on edge though... when you find some awesome loot/weapons you treasure them. As you would if it were a real life situation...if guns were super easy to find the whole feel of the game would go down the drain imo...

I'm not saying weapons should be overly common, but after raiding a large city and several stores there was not one rifle-type weapon and barely anything other than empty tin cans and shit. And if you are trying to go it alone you are more or less fucked because you'll run out of ammo in a horde of zombies long before anything else.

I agree, but this is early alpha..

I've played ArmA 2 for a long time and I can all but guarantee you that this issue will not change. The engine/netcode/animation limitations will never allow it to work as well as it should (and needs to IMO)

Same as above :), though hardly a gamebreaker.

True, not game-breaking, but it would make sense for a new survivor to have a knife or something. Even just allowing you to push a zombie back while you run would be helpful. As is, now you get zombies that can somehow run 50 MPH and you have no chance to hit them until they get right up on you, and if you're out of ammo and not near a ladder or something then you are completely screwed. Couple that with the fact that you can randomly spawn in a heavily-infested area with nothing and it just lends to not being a good gameplay experience.

I've also played several of the zombie-related mods for ArmA 2, and they all suffer from the same animation/lag issues which make them difficult to enjoy for me. This one is looking to be better in a lot of ways, but with the way the engine is it just is never going to hit a level of fluidity that it needs. The problem is just that ArmA 2 is built as a military simulator where rapid, agile movements are unnecessary, and they're trying to force the engine to do something that it's not capable of doing. The reason why games like L4D are so popular is because you are able to have the fast twitch movements that you need to survive an onslaught. You're never going to get that in ArmA 2. ArmA 3, maybe, but I wouldn't bank on that too much either. With PhysX, though, it might improve.

I'm interested, but it does seem a bit slow and bland for my likings.

5) I hate the proprietary server bullshit (Life servers were the same way), where you can't run your own server because they have to be "authorized" or you have to have some special files or shit. I'd love to run this with a few friends rather than 40+ assholes running around trying to gank me.

That defeats the purpose of the game. This isn't a zombie game, it's a human interaction game set in a zombie universe. Seeing someone and not knowing whether they are friend or foe, just as in a real life apocalypse event, is probably one of the most intense game experiences I've ever had. If you want a zombie game to play with friends, you should probably stick with L4D.

Yes, the game is more intense when you run alone, but I think it would be more fun with a friend or ten. IMO, I always have more fun in a coop game then a single player game. It does make it a little easier and you can share your paranoia with a mate :p

Yeah, I'm interested in trying this out too sometime, I love survival games.

Also, it's a bit sketchy that it seems Steam and Amazon have raised prices on ArmA 2 since this came out. I know, demand increase, yadda yadda but it's still fairly lame.

Yeah, demand increases but on a resource with essentially infinite supply (digital distribution anyway.)

Just did this :D

duped.jpg

That defeats the purpose of the game. This isn't a zombie game, it's a human interaction game set in a zombie universe. Seeing someone and not knowing whether they are friend or foe, just as in a real life apocalypse event, is probably one of the most intense game experiences I've ever had. If you want a zombie game to play with friends, you should probably stick with L4D.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for telling me how I should play the game.

I'd love to just have a persistent world where I can hop on with 6-10 friends and play regularly without having to deal with PKing assholes and noobs.

eh, maybe you should get your own server then and password it..the human interaction aspect is a deliberate integral part of DayZ. And what makes it such a great game.

eh, maybe you should get your own server then and password it..the human interaction aspect is a deliberate integral part of DayZ. And what makes it such a great game.

You CAN'T, that's the problem. It's not possible.

According to the FAQ, they may do a "DayZ Lite" where you can run your own server. But who knows if/when that will happen.

Agree to disagree. I just want the option to run a private server, it has no effect on you or anyone else.

I feel ya and understand. Its just an inherently social game so I don't see them doing that during the alpha.

True, but so far I haven't seen much of the "social" aspect since I think besides the small group I'm with, I've only ever seen like 2 other people out of 50 or however many most of the servers have. The world is just so large that unless you camp the coast or major cities there is a large possibility you will never see anyone.

Last edited:
It is a big world. I think with the player count at 75ish it would be perfect. Another thing to consider is the concept of the game. Its a survivor game, add more ppl to the world and then your not really a lone or small group of survivors. The more people that are added to the game and the resources become more common because you have to increase their spawn rates. They are a little control freakish about their server stuff. If I'm hosting a server I'm kicking whoever I want to get my friends in the game. I'll tell that person to get to a safe place first at least.

is there a lot a server to play on? with the popularity of the mod , i have a feeling it will be a pain to find a good server.

So with it being a persistent world, is there permadeath or what? And how is that handled?

So with it being a persistent world, is there permadeath or what? And how is that handled?

When/if you die, you respawn as a new character with starter gear. There is no perma-death but you lose all your items (unless you find your body before someone else does and can somehow manage to recover your stuff).

Always loved the ARMA series and I really love this mod. Cant wait to see it grow feature wise.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for telling me how I should play the game.

I'd love to just have a persistent world where I can hop on with 6-10 friends and play regularly without having to deal with PKing assholes and noobs.

Just saying. If that's what you're looking for, you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It's kind of like saying I bought starcraft 2 for city building and then getting mad that I can't easily do that. Perhaps I should go play simcity of citybuilder xl and not an RTS.

Just saying. If that's what you're looking for, you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It's kind of like saying I bought starcraft 2 for city building and then getting mad that I can't easily do that. Perhaps I should go play simcity of citybuilder xl and not an RTS.

Exactly, if everyone wants to be a asshole then its part of the game. Instead of complaining get better and hunt their asses down instead.

Let me put it this way; other than this mod and the Life servers, every other mod for this game is able to be played on your own server however you want. I would like the same opportunity here.

But yeah, you're right. I guess I don't enjoy a game where assholes camp the spawns and kill people for no apparent reason other than "for the lulz".

Let me put it this way; other than this mod and the Life servers, every other mod for this game is able to be played on your own server however you want. I would like the same opportunity here.

But yeah, you're right. I guess I don't enjoy a game where assholes camp the spawns and kill people for no apparent reason other than "for the lulz".

is it how Day Z server are ?

Tried playing last night, and of course ended up being a server with the realistic time cycle so it was pitch black out and couldn't see a thing. I found a few buildings near where I spawned by throwing a few flares. Didn't see any zombies after searching around so I ended up just quitting.

I've never cared for the 1x time speed like that, nobody ever wanted to play a pitch black map in Arma2 for 8 hours either when I ran an ACE server.

I think all servers have the 1:1 time cycle, that's just how DayZ is.

I would much prefer a day/night cycle like original ArmA 2. I think it's like 1 second = 1 minute or something, possibly a bit slower. So a full cycle is still several hours but you're not stuck in perpetual goddamn night every time you join a server in the evening.

The only reason vanilla ArmA 2 is fun at night in the first place is because you have NV goggles. :p

Back