Day Z - experiences and Gameplay videos

...What the fuck was the point of your post? :rolleyes:
You made it sound like I was wrong. I posted a link showing I was right.

I managed to remove barbed wire once with a tool box and it only took me about 3 minutes to get lined up just right to remove it. It was a momentous occasion.

And then I was shot.

I do believe the fact that it's a rare spawn and the last tale shows how unlikely it will be for survivors to actually remove barbed wire. Probably just clan raiders will have the time and support.

DO NOT swap outfits/clothes on 1.7.2

It apparently removes your entire inventory and will even delete items you put on the ground before you swap (Haven't been able to confirm the 2nd part, but people have said it does this)

good god, being an alpha tester is stressfull

First time playing the game last night and I was severely confused.

For one when I got to the supermarket I started adding items to my pack and then somehow managed to put my Coyote Pack on the ground and couldn't pick it back up again no matter how many things I tried. Second, I found a Czech backpack in a building I was searching and again, for the life of me, I simply could not pick it up. How in the hell do you remove a pack and add another?

Another point of confusion was when I found a crobar and couldn't do a thing with it. I couldn't swing it to defend myself like you can with the hatchet. What's the point of the crobar? Also, at one point I found a double barrel shotgun and no matter how many items I removed from my pack, including a camping tent, I could not pick it up. Are there servers that do not allow for guns to even be used? If so, what do I need to look for in the description to avoid them entirely?

With that said I enjoyed the game very much and look forward to playing it more today.

There are 2 ways to interact with stuff, 'G' only opens piles (when focused on it) for swapping into your pockets or the back pack. Rolling the SCROLL WHEEL has the options to pick up or perform other actions when the action is highlighted. Takes some practice.

When it comes to backpacks, loot piles that are under or near the backpack will interfere with your ability to pick up or interact with the backpack. You need to pick up anything close to it and drop it somewhere else. I also recommend that if you find a bigger backpack, to first drop your own backpack on the ground before trying to pick up the other one, because if you still have stuff in your old backpack you need, sometimes picking up the new one with the old one still equipped can cause the old one to drop to the ground under the floor of buildings and such. You accomplish this by bringing up the gear menu with G and finding the backpack in the list on the left (it's always at the bottom) and either double clicking on the name in the list, or clicking it once and then clicking the left arrow next to it.

If you pickup a crowbar, or equipping a hatchet for that matter, there may still be the 'bug' where you have to 'reload' them, since the way the Arma2 engine currently handles the melee weapons is treating them like a gun, which requires ammo. Also, if you have any type of throw-able item such as flares, chemlights, or trash items, you can cycle through all these by pressing F. If you're not careful, you can sometimes end up throwing a flare instead of firing your weapon because you had the wrong one selected.

Picking up guns shouldn't be much of a problem, unless there is still some issues from the 1.7.2 release. When you go to pick them up, it should put it right into your primary or secondary weapon slot, and automatically drop anything that was already equipped in that slot. There was an odd bug from 1.7.1.5 where if you had a melee weapon equipped, and picked up a gun, it would somehow have both weapons equipped at the same time, so you were able to cycle between shooting and hatcheting for instance.

Thanks for the quick feedback and tips. I will practice a bit more and see how it goes.

One other thing, how do you use blood packets to replace your blood? I found 5 of them and couldn't use a single one. I could right click and use bandages, painkillers, morphine, etc just fine but I could not figure out how to use a blood packet.

Also, are the Day Z forums down for anyone else? I haven't been able to use them today or even last night.

The hatchet is great. Every time I'm tempted into using a rifle, it turns into a feeding frenzy for the zombies. Damn things spawn so fast...

I'm jumping on in a few if anyone wants to join, I'll be on the TS server.

Run to the forrest line first, turn, fire, profit!

Very true. I just seem to end up inside a building with no way out!

Yesterday I helped a group of three people who had no weapons survive a zombie attack. They started following me around, so I helped them find a hatchet so they wouldn't be defenseless.

They proceeded to murder me and take all my stuff! Was actually somewhat funny. :p

Is there a trick to pitching a tent? If not, then I now understand why so many tents are out in open areas.

Is there a trick to pitching a tent? If not, then I now understand why so many tents are out in open areas.

Hit 'g', crouch, and WALK slowly backwards while spamming 'pitch tent'. You can pitch it anywhere doing that.

Just killed two guys who popped back into their truck after they finished raiding a building way up north. AS50 with one shot got both of them, and I got a truck + another AS50 + 5 mags + tons of other goodies.

Hit 'g', crouch, and WALK slowly backwards while spamming 'pitch tent'. You can pitch it anywhere doing that.

Just killed two guys who popped back into their truck after they finished raiding a building way up north. AS50 with one shot got both of them, and I got a truck + another AS50 + 5 mags + tons of other goodies.

Thanks!

Has anyone logged in and had their stuff disappear and spawn in the debug field? I logged in and it said I was killed as soon as I logged in, and I have no items, not even an empty backpack.

The day counter and my zombie kill count still had my numbers so its like I'm on the same life, but I no longer have my stuff, and I keep spawning in debug. This same exact thing happened to another person I play with, so I know I'm not entirely unique.

I do believe the fact that it's a rare spawn and the last tale shows how unlikely it will be for survivors to actually remove barbed wire. Probably just clan raiders will have the time and support.

I've found a couple tool boxes (1 off a guy I killed). They weren't spawning in one of the latest patches apparently but I guess that's fixed now.

I ran into the same problem with barbed wire too. I initially saw the dialog to remove it, then lost it, and couldn't get it to come back up. So I can believe it takes 3 mins to get it just right. Kinda lame :/

Has anyone logged in and had their stuff disappear and spawn in the debug field? I logged in and it said I was killed as soon as I logged in, and I have no items, not even an empty backpack.

The day counter and my zombie kill count still had my numbers so its like I'm on the same life, but I no longer have my stuff, and I keep spawning in debug. This same exact thing happened to another person I play with, so I know I'm not entirely unique.

I just logged in and had this happen. I spawned, was told I died in the chat area (no official death screen), then briefly saw the debug plains, then I was brought back to my last exit point but without all my gear. As you stated, EVERYTHING is gone except the tent that I pitched.

What happens when you try another server? I'm a bit scared to disconnect now since I am close to some goody spots.

Edit: Ended up going on quite the adventure and found everything I needed. However, I logged out then relogged to see what would happen and now I spawned a dead double of old self, and my character is his old self as well.

Last edited:
Well that bug with changing outfits is still in the game. Lost both my weapons, all my ammo, a couple water bottles, etc. Kept everything on my tool belt (thank god).

Damn you Ghilli Suit for tempting me!

wow, I wonder from the southern end of the map to the dam... long journey to find nothing of fun in the building next to the dam.

Is there a [H]ardbase somewhere?

i was listening to the developer he wants to make it a stand alone game.. hope he does that with a better engine maybe some god damn physics. hahah

I'm just saying in terms of an engine...I doubt many other mainstream engines can handle 200+ km^2 streaming terrain like the RV3/4 engine(s).

It will probably end up being like Iron Front: Liberation 1944 where it uses ArmA 2's engine but is a stand-alone game.

Arma II:CO on sale for $23.99 courtesy of the steam summer sale. I'm tempted to bite...

Arma II:CO on sale for $23.99 courtesy of the steam summer sale. I'm tempted to bite...

6 bucks? :-\, not much of a sale, considering I only want it to try out the mod.

It might go down to 15-20 bucks if it gets a spot on the daily deal sale.

Yeah, I think DayZ will be amazing in the Arma3 engine. I'm fairly sure that when DayZ becomes a stand-alone product, that it will still be built on the Arma3 engine.

6 bucks? :-\, not much of a sale, considering I only want it to try out the mod.

I guess they don't have much incentive to make a huge discount when it has been the #1 seller on Steam for weeks, purely due to the mod. Notice that even at $24, it's outselling Portal 2 discounted to $5.

Arma X: Anniversary Edition has also been discounted 20%, to $48.

The current offers don't expire until July 23. I'm going to wait until then to see if they do a daily deal on the ARMA franchise during the summer sale.

Sigh, now my guy is in the debug plains yet again. This is on a semi-new character that I started after the issue from last night. I definitely am not a fan of 1.7.2.

And now I am getting Corrupted Memory #0 when I join a server.

Last edited:
i am gonna wait for the next update i think... i have very limited time to play (DJ knows this !) and all the bugs will frustrate me.

Does the next update come out soon? Someone said it was already out on UK servers?

Found a tractor last night and drove to the NW airfield. I was the only person in the server (nobody else could connect apparently..) and nearly all of the zombies at the airfield were static. Looted everything and walked out without firing a shot.

This patch is retarded.

saedrin, I had that happen to me before and it was with 1.7.1.5.

And 1.7.2.2 has now been released.

Edit: Six Updater released the experimental version of 1.7.2.2 so you'll either have to manually downgrade back to 1.7.2 or not play until the problem is fixed.

Last edited:
Back