Dark Souls Thread

Yeah the CE version of this game isn't that great. When I found out the strategy guide was in digital form, I stopped caring about missing it, and got the regular edition from the midnight launch.

Demons Souls CE actually came with a hard copy mini strategy guide.

Wish I had pre-ordered the CE though, just so I could get a $20 gift card when it didn't arrive. :)

The game is awesome by the way. I only played it for an hour last night. The first thing I noticed is the graphics are definitely a notch above Demons Souls. Everything looks a little crisper.

The game is awesome by the way. I only played it for an hour last night. The first thing I noticed is the graphics are definitely a notch above Demons Souls. Everything looks a little crisper.

Good to know! :)

This makes me a little more than upset.

I preordered Dark Souls the instant it became available on Amazon. At the time I placed my order, there was no Collectors Edition available to pre-order. I would have ordered the CE instead, but was told later on that all preorders would be automatically upgraded. And apparently my copy just shipped from Amazon and should be arriving later today...
I'm in the same boat. Frankly, I'm starting to think Namco Bandai promised the whole every pre-order would be a CE, then realized they weren't really setup to make that happen. They should have either made every first shipment copy a CE, or made the CE a totally separate version. Instead, they're trying to figure out who is a pre-order and who isn't, they're sending multiple versions of the game to each retailer who then gets to figure out who gets what, and it's turning into a big mess.

anyone having trouble downloading the CE content? my download speed from their site is a painfully slow 6-12 kB/s and half way through the downloads the connection abruptly ends :mad:

xbox vs PS3?

Haven't seen any professional comparisons done yet, but I've read a few anecdotal reports that the X360 has a bit more slow down in some areas. But it appears neither version is a steady 30fps. Apparently some taxing environments cause both versions to drop below 30.

I preordered through Amazon in May and got the CE today, for what its worth.

Having a lot as deprived (chose pendant), but I finally beat the Undead Burg after many many deaths and now I'm a bit confused where to go.

My CE from www.deepdiscount.com did not ship. I called Gamestop on the way home and asked if they had an extra CE. They had one extra that they were sent this morning and no one had asked about it yet. They held it for me and I drove over there to pick it up, score!

Also kinda displeased that they got rid of the player rating system. The world just ends instantly when you help someone kill a boss, no time to bow or anything.

Got my pre-order from Amazon a little while ago. Box was much bigger than I thought it was going to be. Pretty cool that they upgraded my order to CE for nothing!

DarkSoulsCE_Amazon.jpg

Played around a bit with every class and I'll probably settle on my Bandit. I didn't enjoy any of the spellcasting classes since the cast times were so long that it was just a nuance to use. Warrior and Knight were good but I hate moving like molasses. Thief was very satisfying to play but has a lot of trouble dealing with backstab immune mobs or crowds.

IMO, Bandit is the perfect mix of power, speed, and survivability. High starting stats in Strength, Endurance, Resistance, and Vitality. The battle axe is a very balanced weapon much like the longsword. The spider shield is the lightest of the shields that still blocks 100% physical damage while offering good fire resistance as well. The overall equipment burden for the Bandit allows him to move and fight at 100% speed while being able to also block 100% of the incoming damage. The only downside is you look like ass with the MC Hammer pants.

I'll probably try The Deprived if I do a second playthrough and want a powergaming character. Right now I really don't know wtf I'm doing or how to build a character correctly anyways.

Just started up a deprived. Made it to Lordran. Man, thats the craziest tutorial level (if you can call it that) I've seen. What gifts/traits did you guys pick when making characters? I picked the ring that gives life regen.

Just started up a deprived. Made it to Lordran. Man, thats the craziest tutorial level (if you can call it that) I've seen. What gifts/traits did you guys pick when making characters? I picked the ring that gives life regen.

Master Key since it's the only item you can't find anywhere in the game other than picking it as a gift at the start or playing a Thief.

I chose deprived, and the old witch's ring. Trying to make the game as hard as possible, lol.

I started up as a pyro -- I like how hes kind of a mix between combat and spellcasting. Not sure which of the 2 I'll focus my points on. Combats very satisfying in this series, but I've always, ALWAYS been a sucker for a spellcaster.

I also got the master key.

I'm going to have to start over I think...I thought it would be fun to kill the Knight npc on the first area after the tutorial. Well it turns out that if I mess up once I'm dead, and now the dude permanently attacks me on sight lol. Basically I keep spawning at the campfire and dying now :(.

Btw, the guy isn't too tough, but at my level he would probably take 15-20 min to kill, and his parry is basically a one shot.

^

Yea when I first saw that guy I was like I bet that guy is like the red eye knights in demons souls. OH WELL I'LL SEE IF I CAN KILL HIM!

*one shot* I'm dead.

haha.

I'm loving this game. my only gripe is the FPS drops in random parts of the game.

After not ever playing Demon Souls and only hearing about it, if it was anything like Dark Souls then I can see why so many like this game. There is no real inane "run here and do X" type quests. You basically have to strategically work your way through an area, and like game of old you have to actually EXPLORE the areas to find things.

One thing I am loving..... Shield and Spear combo!!! Not the fastest attack in the world but does decent damage and has good range. Now if I can just figure out how to do different attacks (like a jump attack)then I would be good. This has been the game I have been waiting for and have a feeling that I will be dropping many hours into this!!!

Loving the game as well I started a Sorcerer and was just meh then I remade a Warrior and much better but I think I am going to start over since if you beat the 1st boss in the Asylum 1st time you come across him with your fists you will get a unique weapon (Hammer) 130 atk or something like that so I am going to try it.

btw 2handing a mace is OP, was 1 shotting guys at undead burg at level 10 (im 13 now)

I've been using battle axe or winged spear for the first two levels as depraved. The axe's arc attack is pretty awesome for when you get a lot of zombies, and the winged spear is great for getting other spear soldiers to actually do something. For whatever reason I can never coax them into lowering their guard (tried kicking, just walking around with no shield up, etc.), but as soon as you equip a spear, all of a sudden they want some.

I've been using battle axe or winged spear for the first two levels as depraved. The axe's arc attack is pretty awesome for when you get a lot of zombies, and the winged spear is great for getting other spear soldiers to actually do something. For whatever reason I can never coax them into lowering their guard (tried kicking, just walking around with no shield up, etc.), but as soon as you equip a spear, all of a sudden they want some.

also running behind for the BS is as easy as it was in DS, oh and the riposte animation if using the mace is fucking awesome lol, golf anyone? haha

Last edited:
See I think I am going to have to start a new character because I have forgotten how to do the special moves like Kick, Jump, Jump attack, and what not.

For the spear soldiers I find that you just have to face them for a while and wait for their attack. Normally a quick jab mid attack is enough to unbalance them and then you can do a full thrust.

Also, can you sell or disassemble old equipment? I have like 3 swords, a dagger, a mace, and two shields but dont know what to do with them????

you cannot sell equipment of any kind in demon's or dark souls, you can reset upgraded weapons to their original state (as in, if you upgraded them with stones)

not sure what you mean by disassemble though...

but dont know what to do with them????

drop them or store them if you find the storage npc, or give them away in coop :)

I think im going to torture myself with a thief when i get home and set up my ps3 again, IIRC when i tried a thief on DS it was a fkn nightmare.

I think im going to torture myself with a thief when i get home and set up my ps3 again, IIRC when i tried a thief on DS it was a fkn nightmare.

i've only played thief, in both games lol

tower knight was damn near the beginning and the end of my demons souls experience, but i eventually prevailed

dagger vs him, first playthrough with nothing but CMG was uh difficult

you cannot sell equipment of any kind in demon's or dark souls, you can reset upgraded weapons to their original state (as in, if you upgraded them with stones)

not sure what you mean by disassemble though...

drop them or store them if you find the storage npc, or give them away in coop :)

Ok didnt know if there was a way to sell them for souls to certain vendors or if there was a way to disassemble the weapons into it base items for a crafting system. Sorry dont know much of anything about these games.

This game is fucking awesome! I am trying to bait some casual gamers at work to pick this up...I want to hear their cries...

Anyways made it to the Taurus demon..any tips?

This game is fucking awesome! I am trying to bait some casual gamers at work to pick this up...I want to hear their cries...

First, make sure you're fighting him on the tower. You can cheese him by doing lunch attacks from the top while he's at the bottom, but if you want to fight him legit, firebombs are pretty good, otherwise just circle strafe him.

You can also walk through his legs during certain attacks to avoid having to take a block.

thats where i am, i rushed in not knowing anything about what boss it was or anything, killed me in two hits @Lv13, dont have much room on that platform to manuever either, can the ladder be climbed while fighting him? maybe just cheap shot him to death with arrows

When you first come through the gray fog at the Taurus Demon, look to your right and you'll see a ladder. Clear out the two skeletons at the top and then run down the bridge to trigger the boss. Run back to the ladder and just walk off the platform and attack him as you're falling, it'll take off 30% of his lifebar and just repeat. If you try to pelt him with spells/arrows while standing on the platform, he'll jump up and kick your ass. It's pretty much a little refresher course to see if you were paying attention during the tutorial :D.

I've gotten the farthest with my Thief where I just downed the gargoyle boss so I'll probably keep playing him. Bandit Knife +3! stab stab stab

I'm having a blast with Dark Souls too, just killed the metal boar and the helm dropped for me. :)
It's a sweet looking helm, looks like a boar from the front and a predator from behind.
Just keep in mind the helm doesn't drop if you kill him with a backstab...

Yea i just jumped from above onto him and attacked, did that 2-3 times and he was just about dead. Damn it I missed the winged spear in the first initial camp fire area outside the tutorial area. got to go back to get that thinggggggggggggggggg.

I picked up the hardbound guide, man this thing is huge and awesome

what level should i be before i go to where the water below is with the ghosts, and what about the cave with those large trolls?

what level should i be before i go to where the water below is with the ghosts, and what about the cave with those large trolls?

I'm 25 and that stuff still scares the crap out of me. So far beaten Undead Burg, Undead Parish. Working on The Forest and the Depths right now.

Yea i just jumped from above onto him and attacked, did that 2-3 times and he was just about dead. Damn it I missed the winged spear in the first initial camp fire area outside the tutorial area. got to go back to get that thinggggggggggggggggg.

I picked up the hardbound guide, man this thing is huge and awesome

Wait? What? Where?!!!!

Back